The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Neuro5i5']Guess I'm in the minority? I almost always choose to play with subs off. My ADD and mild dyslexia make it hard for me to read at a normal game's pace. Luckily I have fairly good hearing which is surprising given the volume levels I used to (and still kinda) listen to music at.[/QUOTE]
I used to but I found I miss so much when I don't have subs on. Also, it keeps me watching the screen during cut-scenes. I used to space out a lot (I'd always miss quick time events....)

Also, I'm so close to buying torchlight 2 but I already have diablo 3 to "finish". So for people who've played both how does torchlight 2 compare to D3? or Torchlight 1?

How exactly does Payday work if you're playing single player? Are you pulling off the heist yourself? Or are there other characters along with you that are bots?

[quote name='The End']How exactly does Payday work if you're playing single player? Are you pulling off the heist yourself? Or are there other characters along with you that are bots?[/QUOTE]
Bots. Kinda dumb ones at that.

[quote name='Detruire']Bots. Kinda dumb ones at that.[/QUOTE]
Some of the worst AI bots I've seen. They're Lost Planet 2 bad...

I didn't want Payday and kept avoiding it over the 800 different sales that it has been on. Then everyone around CAG started getting it and peer pressuring me but I still resisted!

Then someone gifted it to me and I was like aaww dammit.

Payback for all the Coconut Queens and Doom Railses, no doubt.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Guess I'm in the minority? I almost always choose to play with subs off. My ADD and mild dyslexia make it hard for me to read at a normal game's pace. Luckily I have fairly good hearing which is surprising given the volume levels I used to (and still kinda) listen to music at.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I always play with subs off myself. I prefer the cinematic experience.

This has to be the third or fourth time Payday has been part of a deal, yet I'm still waiting for Little Inferno to come up once as it didn't win the Community Vote it was in...

OK, so I'm sitting here looking at TLJ + Dreamfall on steam and can't decide if I want it or not. I'm a fan of P&C adventure games, like Myst and such and also Telltale's stuff like TWD and BttF. I've watched a few YouTube reviews and gameplay vids and I just can't seem to commit. Some said they hated it for basically being an "interactive movie" others said it's one of the best adventure games of this generation. So, someone help me out...are these true hidden gems I need to play to appreciate or are they cult fanfare that I can pass and won't miss?

[quote name='Motoki']I didn't want Payday and kept avoiding it over the 800 different sales that it has been on. Then everyone around CAG started getting it and peer pressuring me but I still resisted!

Then someone gifted it to me and I was like aaww dammit.

Payback for all the Coconut Queens and Doom Railses, no doubt.[/QUOTE]

Yep I play it everyday.

[quote name='Cantatus']This has to be the third or fourth time Payday has been part of a deal, yet I'm still waiting for Little Inferno to come up once as it didn't win the Community Vote it was in...[/QUOTE]

I remember during the summer I wanted King's Bounty and it came up on a vote, lost and never showed up again. It must just be certain publishers and certain games that get authorized to be on sale. I mean how many times in the year, not just this sale, have we seen...

- Alan Wake
- Castle Crashers
- Borderlands 1 and 2
- All THQ games
- All Valve games
- Ghost Recon
- etc.

It's the same stuff over and over again. Just like some I'm going to buy what I want at the 50% mark since it's doubtful the games I'd like will go less than that. 50% off is not that bad anyway.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']OK, so I'm sitting here looking at TLJ + Dreamfall on steam and can't decide if I want it or not. I'm a fan of P&C adventure games, like Myst and such and also Telltale's stuff like TWD and BttF. I've watched a few YouTube reviews and gameplay vids and I just can't seem to commit. Some said they hated it for basically being an "interactive movie" others said it's one of the best adventure games of this generation. So, someone help me out...are these true hidden gems I need to play to appreciate or are they cult fanfare that I can pass and won't miss?[/QUOTE]

The Longest Journey is one of the best point-and-click adventures that I've ever played. Most of the puzzles are logical, but there are like 2 brain-busters in there, that I can think of.

Dreamfall isn't true P&C. It's more direct-control w/ WSAD and your mouse. Dreamfall is MUCH less about puzzles than TLJ, though. It's more of an interactive-story w/ some repetitive puzzle-types. It has a few stealth elements and some combat/action elements - which ain't so hot, if you ask me.

TLJ was great; while Dreamfall was just good.

Both have great stories and characters, though. If you are about great stories and great characters, you probably should get these "games."

[quote name='asheskitty']I usually turn them on, for odd accents, and audio interruptions (phone rings, fleshbag starts talking to me, power tools, howling from the basement).[/QUOTE]

I turn them on when I'm watching something on the TV/Tablet while playing a game...

I can't be the only person that does this. Football? The fights? ...Gossip Girl?

There's hardly anything more "Interactive movie" about the Longest Journey games than any other adventure game. Anyone saying that is the type of moron that says that about every game in the genre.

[quote name='Woocls']I used to but I found I miss so much when I don't have subs on. Also, it keeps me watching the screen during cut-scenes. I used to space out a lot (I'd always miss quick time events....)

Also, I'm so close to buying torchlight 2 but I already have diablo 3 to "finish". So for people who've played both how does torchlight 2 compare to D3? or Torchlight 1?[/QUOTE]
Also, I'll be playing solo so does that change people's opinions on Torchlight 2?

[quote name='Woocls']Also, I'll be playing solo so does that change people's opinions on Torchlight 2?[/QUOTE]

I had just as much fun solo as I did on multiplayer with that game. I actually think 4 players on torchlight 2 is a little hectic.

[quote name='CaptainSlow']I remember during the summer I wanted King's Bounty and it came up on a vote, lost and never showed up again. It must just be certain publishers and certain games that get authorized to be on sale. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm really hoping for the 75% Freedom Force but it's not looking too good.

[quote name='Woocls']Also, I'll be playing solo so does that change people's opinions on Torchlight 2?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I been playing TL2 solo. I will do a MP-character, eventually.

Torchlight 1 plays more like Diablo 1, but the look and style of the game is Steampunk. The gameplay is this - you start in a town; and you keep descending down more and more levels; you fight bosses when you reach a certain level; can portal back to town; kill tons of enemies for crazy amounts of unique loot to equip, sell, and socket.

Torchlight 2 plays more like Diablo 2, but the look and style of this game is Steampunk. Now, you have multiple towns; open-areas to explore where there are side-quest dungeons and quests to tackle; plenty of enemies to kill to get loot of unique loot to equip, sell, socket, and upgrade.

10 hours or so into Torchlight 2 - it is the best ARPG since Diablo 2, so far. Sure - Sacred 1: Gold + Sacred 2; Silverfall: Complete; Titan Quest: Gold; and Dungeon Siege II: Broken World were all great - but dammit, Torchlight 2 flat-out OWNS THEM all.

EDIT:
About Diablo 3 - it's a pretty good ARPG, but it doesn't really give you much control of number-upgrading on your character's stats and skills. I really hate the "Always online DRM", when the game is VERY SOLO friendly. How is it SOLO Friendly? Well, in terms of being able to finish the game ALL by yourself w/ AI bot companions that constantly chatter to you and you find tons of lore that is in spoken-audio dialogue to you (like Bioshock) to tell you and give you more info about the story, characters, enemies, towns, and anything else you may encounter - yeah, that stuff makes it easier to go solo with than ever before.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']What's the CAG opinion of Painkiller?[/QUOTE]

Painkiller Black is all you need. Those were made by the original developer People Can Fly. The publisher basically authorized others (I'll call them mod teams) to create the cheap sequels.

The weapons are among the most inventive you'll find in FPS games. Hordes of enemies, a bit of strategy in the use of Tarot Cards and tons of sequels. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk7DlYcQ0uM

[quote name='MysterD']The Longest Journey is one of the best point-and-click adventures that I've ever played. Most of the puzzles are logical, but there are like 2 brain-busters in there, that I can think of.

Dreamfall isn't true P&C. It's more direct-control w/ WSAD and your mouse. Dreamfall is MUCH less about puzzles than TLJ, though. It's more of an interactive-story w/ some repetitive puzzle-types. It has a few stealth elements and some combat/action elements - which ain't so hot, if you ask me.

TLJ was great; while Dreamfall was just good.

Both have great stories and characters, though. If you are about great stories and great characters, you probably should get these "games."[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I'm down for a good story. I didn't realize the mechanics were that different between the two. That alone has me curious as to which one I may like better. I think I'll get my feet wet. Thanks!

[quote name='Corpekata']There's hardly anything more "Interactive movie" about the Longest Journey games than any other adventure game. Anyone saying that is the type of moron that says that about every game in the genre.[/QUOTE]

True. It was obvious that the reviews I watched were biased seemingly heavily in one direction or the other. That's why I wanted the opinion of the CAG Collective. :)

One pleasant surprise which I liked about The Longest Journey was the tone was surprisingly mature, compared to the usual adventure game fare.

[quote name='Necrotron']Nah, I always play with subs off myself. I prefer the cinematic experience.[/QUOTE]

I watch a large amount of subbed foreign content, so I'm not one bit an "anti-subs" guy, but for games I always turn them off. It's distracting to me to read well ahead of what's being said and 'wait' for them to finish talking.

Unless I'm purposely skipping through dialog quickly, that is.

For some games, I'll leave subs on because I can't understand wtf is going on without them, for others.. it can be distracting. It really depends on how clear the voice/dialogue is in the game I'm playing.

[quote name='dfg']One pleasant surprise which I liked about The Longest Journey was the tone was surprisingly mature, compared to the usual adventure game fare.[/QUOTE]

Amen.

A lot of topics addressed in this game were NOT talked about in games much, back in those days (1999) - i.e. sexuality of some characters.
Also, lots of discussions and themes in the game also revolve around religion and faith, too.

On another note - Flipper Burns is a riot and curses like insane. Constant F-bombs from him.

[quote name='jshackles']OK updated Enhanced Steam to 0.8

3yMFE.png

Added the highlighting of wishlist items. More soon![/QUOTE]

Damn it! You're going to force me to use Chrome, aren't you?! :lol:

3yMFE.png

OK, I've changed my mind. I think I'd like to give Enhanced Steam a try. What's the latest Firefox version?

Also, I have greasemonkey thanks to the steamgifts filter, but I'm hardly an aficionado. What exactly would I need to do to add it to firefox/greasemoney?

[quote name='Detruire']Bots. Kinda dumb ones at that.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I figured.

3yMFE.png

Valve should facepalm themselves for not adding all these features that you've been doing to their client in the first place. Maybe they should just hire you or something to fix up their website :)

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Damn it! You're going to force me to use Chrome, aren't you?! :lol:[/QUOTE]
Traitor!

[quote name='jshackles']Okay so in working on the Enhanced Steam extension, I think I've hit a wall on the amount of features I can include while still building those features into a Greasemonkey script. I think for the time being, I'm just going to have to keep updating the Chrome extension solely.

Sorry Greasemonkey / Ninjakit users! :([/QUOTE]
Would you care to elaborate?

[quote name='Detruire']
Would you care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

The biggest roadblock I'm hitting is with jQuery. It's reduced the amount of coding I've had to do significantly, but Greasemonkey and Chrome Extensions handle it in different ways. With Greasemonkey, it can be called externally (say, from http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js) but with the Chrome Extension, it has to be packed into the extension zip and distributed WITH the extension itself.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any combination of settings in this regard that work with both Greasemonkey and the Chrome extension.

Additionally, I plan on implement an "options" page where the user can configure their own color settings / etc but obviously this would need to be done manually with Greasemonkey.

[quote name='mjontrix']Valve should facepalm themselves for not adding all these features that you've been doing to their client in the first place. Maybe they should just hire you or something to fix up their website :)[/QUOTE]

If they offered me a job to do this all day, I'd probably take it. :)

I don't know why I've never played TLJ... but that's an error I can fix NOW. BTW, looking at some backgrounds, dialogue fonts, icons... is like this game could've been made by Sierra... I like that!

I'll get Dreamfall later on...

3yMFE.png

OK, now that I've left my Firefox brethren ( :cry: ) soley for your plugin ( :D ) may I be so bold as to make a request? What is the possibility of also highlighting inventory items?

[quote name='Neuro5i5']OK, now that I've left my Firefox brethren ( :cry: ) soley for your plugin ( :D ) may I be so bold as to make a request? What is the possibility of also highlighting inventory items?[/QUOTE]

Anything is possible, just depends on how hard Valve made it for me to change. IF ONLY I had access to their back-end code!

Anyway, that's another thing I'm working on actually, loading an array of items into the HTML5 localStorage settings for things like this. For example, you would visit your inventory page, and it would "cache" a list of games in your inventory. Then when browsing the store, it would check to see if any of those items were in your cache and highlight them.

So yeah, it's possible. But certainly not with Firefox / Greasemonkey.

[quote name='zillionandnine']The first one! Although I guess I shouldn't be too bothered since it seems most people think it's ok to skip right to 2. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

I think people have fallen prey to groupthink on skipping the first one. I think it's quite good and definitely worth the time.

It's probably the only AC where you actually played like an assassin, as the rest became more akin to button mashers, albeit without the combos. In the original the controls were much more complex making combat a little slower paced than the sequels; however, in that game the point was to avoid conflict and silently dispose of your target. The newer games continually simplified combat until it essentially boiled down to 2 button presses in AC3, counter-kill. Sure, some enemies required a different tactic, but they were far from the norm. Along with this simplified combat came less incentive to keep a low profile, as the games removed essentially any penalty associated with open/visible combat and even being spotted for that matter. The first game required more stealthy gameplay where being on a rooftop or even just climbing a building drew the immediate attention of gaurds.

The first game also featured Desmond much more prominently than the later ones, and really, these games are about the current assassin/templar struggle during Desmond's time, not the memories of Desmond's ancestors. Funny how they essentially putting the Desmond stuff on the far back burner in the later iterations of the game when that's the actual story of the game.

Meh, I could go on a while going over differences, but...the tl:dr version:

AC1 has better story elements, more stealthlike/actual assassin gameplay, more complex combat

Sequels are faster paced, action oriented, horny "assassin" story driven affairs

[quote name='jshackles']Anything is possible, just depends on how hard Valve made it for me to change. IF ONLY I had access to their back-end code!

Anyway, that's another thing I'm working on actually, loading an array of items into the HTML5 localStorage settings for things like this. For example, you would visit your inventory page, and it would "cache" a list of games in your inventory. Then when browsing the store, it would check to see if any of those items were in your cache and highlight them.

So yeah, it's possible. But certainly not with Firefox / Greasemonkey.[/QUOTE]

Possible, I like possible. Definitely appreciate the work invested. If I only had the patience for learning other languages, just gives me more respect for the people that do.

[quote name='stupidproz1']I had just as much fun solo as I did on multiplayer with that game. I actually think 4 players on torchlight 2 is a little hectic.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MysterD']Nope. I been playing TL2 solo. I will do a MP-character, eventually.

Torchlight 1 plays more like Diablo 1, but the look and style of the game is Steampunk. The gameplay is this - you start in a town; and you keep descending down more and more levels; you fight bosses when you reach a certain level; can portal back to town; kill tons of enemies for crazy amounts of unique loot to equip, sell, and socket.

Torchlight 2 plays more like Diablo 2, but the look and style of this game is Steampunk. Now, you have multiple towns; open-areas to explore where there are side-quest dungeons and quests to tackle; plenty of enemies to kill to get loot of unique loot to equip, sell, socket, and upgrade.

10 hours or so into Torchlight 2 - it is the best ARPG since Diablo 2, so far. Sure - Sacred 1: Gold + Sacred 2; Silverfall: Complete; Titan Quest: Gold; and Dungeon Siege II: Broken World were all great - but dammit, Torchlight 2 flat-out OWNS THEM all.

EDIT:
About Diablo 3 - it's a pretty good ARPG, but it doesn't really give you much control of number-upgrading on your character's stats and skills. I really hate the "Always online DRM", when the game is VERY SOLO friendly. How is it SOLO Friendly? Well, in terms of being able to finish the game ALL by yourself w/ AI bot companions that constantly chatter to you and you find tons of lore that is in spoken-audio dialogue to you (like Bioshock) to tell you and give you more info about the story, characters, enemies, towns, and anything else you may encounter - yeah, that stuff makes it easier to go solo with than ever before.[/QUOTE]
Thanks you guys. I've played both Torchlight 1 and Diablo 3. I loved Torchlight 1 but the locales were pretty boring. Diablo 3 also suffers from that too. And the character customizing was pretty lame AND the crafted loot is almost always better than dropped loot (at least in the beginning). You said you were 10 hours in? How long do you think the full game will be?

[quote name='Neuro5i5']OK, now that I've left my Firefox brethren ( :cry: ) soley for your plugin ( :D ) may I be so bold as to make a request? What is the possibility of also highlighting inventory items?[/QUOTE]

I haven't bought much this sale, but I think I'm going to bite on the complete Ticket to Ride stuff for $7.99. Any thoughts on this? I mean it's basically Ticket to Ride...so I guess I already know what I'm getting. How active is the community? The main reason I want this now is because the Xbox Live community has pretty much disappeared.

3yMFE.png

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I also left a nice review of it on the extension page for Chrome the other day :)

Ok, I see everyone talking about Payday. I bought it a couple days ago during the Daily Deal, but have only played single player. Anyone want to play some? I don't play very often, and I finally got a computer good enough to run games, but I still don't have many friends to play with. Steam name is the same as it is here. Thanks!

[quote name='weeman43302']Ok, I see everyone talking about Payday. I bought it a couple days ago during the Daily Deal, but have only played single player. Anyone want to play some? I don't play very often, and I finally got a computer good enough to run games, but I still don't have many friends to play with. Steam name is the same as it is here. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Feel free to add me. Link to my steam profile is in my sig.

[quote name='carl7117']has anyone played indigo prophecy? thinking of getting it since i loved heavy rain. its 2.99 at gog. is that a sale price?[/QUOTE]

That is half off their regular price I think. I'm tempted. I bought it boxed, but still have not played it. This is the fully uncensored version and would save me any potential bugs with Windows 8.

[quote name='jshackles']So yeah, it's possible. But certainly not with Firefox / Greasemonkey.[/QUOTE]
That sounds like a challenge. :whistle2:k

[quote name='jshackles']Anything is possible, just depends on how hard Valve made it for me to change. IF ONLY I had access to their back-end code![/QUOTE]
It seems that the hardest part would be dealing with packs (and games that have been removed or had their ID changed - although they're not so important for obvious reasons. ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back