The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case anyone is not watching the GamersGate thread after all the stuff that went on there, they do have the Legacy of Kain Collection on sale this morning for $5.81 after coupon. All 3 games are Steam Keys.

Not really a mistake worthy price like the items that were getting revoked, but a better deal than Steam has had on the collection directly.

[quote name='Corpekata']The true reason to play Sacred 2 is for the Cyborg Anubis race.[/QUOTE]

I've always wanted to try the dragon mage from Ice & Blood, since the expansion is PC-only. It does seems quite a cheesy class, but I don't mind a second run with a powerful character :)

[quote name='Flowette']Actual CAG deal question!

I see the GameMaker Studio: Professional Edition listed at £20.39, 66% off. Is that all I'd need to get started?

I have basic programming knowledge (University was 10 years ago!) so I've been re-learning to program as a hobby and this interests me. I kinda need something to keep me interested so I've been thinking of designing a (very basic) game or two for a while.

Is this all I'd need? Or do I need a "Base version" as well?

(I'm browsing on phone so can't see too well)[/QUOTE]

The "base version" is the free offering on the store, and then you purchase the DLC modules to add-on:
[quote name='Steam Store']Upgrade Options
Gamemaker: Studio™ Standard

Unlock unlimited resources with GameMaker: Studio™ STANDARD and distribute your games to Steam Workshop, Windows and Mac OS X users around the world.

Gamemaker: Studio™ Professional

GameMaker: Studio™ PROFESSIONAL unlocks the full power of GameMaker: Studio™, giving you all the great features of STANDARD with the added ability to purchase and plug-in Android, iOS, Windows Phone 8 and HTML5 export modules, collaborate within a team through subversion and monetize your game with an unprecedented amount of developer services.

Gamemaker: Studio™ Master Collection

Bringing all of GameMaker: Studio™’s best features and modules together, GameMaker: Studio™ MASTER COLLECTION gives you the power to create, test, monetize and distribute games to iOS, Android, Windows, Windows Store, Windows Phone 8, OSX and HTML5.[/quote]

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone has played Defender's Quest? It's 66% off now, but I've been holding out in case it finds itself at a lower price point, but this late in the game, I'm not thinking that's going to happen. The game description intrigues me.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Blaan']Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone has played Defender's Quest? It's 66% off now, but I've been holding out in case it finds itself at a lower price point, but this late in the game, I'm not thinking that's going to happen. The game description intrigues me.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Great question!

In short, it's excellent. A real gem. Yes, there's a chance it'll be in a bundle but that could be said about 90% of the Steam store. I don't particularly dig Tower Defense games but this one grabbed me. You don't have towers, instead you recruit warriors (berserkers, archers, healers etc) to do the job and they "level" up as you progress. Kinda RPGish in a way.

The learning curve is spot on, there's plenty of replayability and it just has a certain charm to it.

I've bought one copy for myself and a further two as Xmas presents.

Thoroughly recommended. I took a gamble on it and I'm glad I did.

[quote name='Genocidal']The "base version" is the free offering on the store, and then you purchase the DLC modules to add-on:[/QUOTE]

Ta! This is the conclusion that I came to, but good to have it confirmed. Will have a look when I get home :)

[quote name='Flowette']Great question!

In short, it's excellent. A real gem. Yes, there's a chance it'll be in a bundle but that could be said about 90% of the Steam store. I don't particularly dig Tower Defense games but this one grabbed me. You don't have towers, instead you recruit warriors (berserkers, archers, healers etc) to do the job and they "level" up as you progress. Kinda RPGish in a way.

The learning curve is spot on, there's plenty of replayability and it just has a certain charm to it.

Thoroughly recommended. I took a gamble on it and I'm glad I did.[/QUOTE]

Wow. Awesome synopsis. Thanks for the recommendation. I was pretty sure I was going to snag it (I'm a sucker for anything compared to Final Fantasy Tactics). I'll make sure to pick it up tonight or before the sale ends on Friday.

I've been generally disappointed with the sale this round. I think I've only bought FTL, which I guess I should be thankful for because of the Xmas strain on the ole bank account. I was hoping for a little better sale price on Defender's Quest, Torchlight, and To The Moon. Ah well.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Just in case anyone is not watching the GamersGate thread after all the stuff that went on there, they do have the Legacy of Kain Collection on sale this morning for $5.81 after coupon. All 3 games are Steam Keys.

Not really a mistake worthy price like the items that were getting revoked, but a better deal than Steam has had on the collection directly.[/QUOTE]
Grabbed a copy, thanks.

Now is today the last full day of dailies? I have one last game to buy this sale, just making sure I grab it before time runs out.

I played HOMM 1 & 2. I know the third is the better and 4 the worst. I'm thinking of trying HOMM 5... Can I be OK buying only the base game, or the game play improves after installing the expansions?

[quote name='Flowette']Great question!

Thoroughly recommended. I took a gamble on it and I'm glad I did.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your mini-review! I think Gamers With Jobs enjoyed this game more than they expected as well. I've been kinda burnt out by tower defense games, but Puzzle Quest and 10million has taught me that turning something into an RPG hybrid often gives it new legs (though of course not always... looking at you, Wizorb).

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Just in case anyone is not watching the GamersGate thread after all the stuff that went on there, they do have the Legacy of Kain Collection on sale this morning for $5.81 after coupon. All 3 games are Steam Keys.

Not really a mistake worthy price like the items that were getting revoked, but a better deal than Steam has had on the collection directly.[/QUOTE]

I'm tempted to bite on this since I had heard so many good things about this series years ago. Just as a clarification, we're missing a couple games from the series right? What's the proper order of sequels, and would I be missing out too much on the story by not having Blood Omen?

Suspected series order:
Blood Omen (not included)
Soul Reaver
Soul Reaver 2
Blood Omen 2 (not included)
Defiance

The story of the series is generally pretty interconnected but you can easily jump in at Soul Reaver as there's a massive time jump between the first and secon games.. Beyond that though it starts to get pretty involved in the history of the world (a lot of events that took place in the first game) as time travel is introduced and it gets more oriented toward people that played the entire series.

Blood Omen 2 is a weird alt history thing so it's not really part of the series canon.

BTW, finished Deponia last night. Pretty good game, tho the second part was causing me to rip out my hair. Hopefully the second game will make it onto Steam at some point.

[quote name='TheLongshot']BTW, finished Deponia last night. Pretty good game, tho the second part was causing me to rip out my hair. Hopefully the second game will make it onto Steam at some point.[/QUOTE]

You mean this?

[quote name='juanjava']I played HOMM 1 & 2. I know the third is the better and 4 the worst. I'm thinking of trying HOMM 5... Can I be OK buying only the base game, or the game play improves after installing the expansions?[/QUOTE]

I put 30 hours in HOMM 5 before I stopped playing. I really didn't like it because of the fact that as you tried to build your army the AI would be building their army at a much faster rate. Also, later on in the game you get attacked quite often and early which I didn't like. I also hate that you can only move a certain amount per turn.

Granted all of this is coming off of the heals of playing King's Bounty which I absolutely loved and it's pretty much the same game just KB movement is real time with turn based combat and HOMM is turn based movement and turn based combat.

[quote name='CaptainSlow']I put 30 hours in HOMM 5 before I stopped playing. I really didn't like it because of the fact that as you tried to build your army the AI would be building their army at a much faster rate. Also, later on in the game you get attacked quite often and early which I didn't like. I also hate that you can only move a certain amount per turn.

Granted all of this is coming off of the heals of playing King's Bounty which I absolutely loved and it's pretty much the same game just KB movement is real time with turn based combat and HOMM is turn based movement and turn based combat.[/QUOTE]

Yes... I love KB too. Maybe I should get back to it, finish it and then go for HOMM 3...

[quote name='juanjava']I played HOMM 1 & 2. I know the third is the better and 4 the worst. I'm thinking of trying HOMM 5... Can I be OK buying only the base game, or the game play improves after installing the expansions?[/QUOTE]

Fwiw, I loved HOMM 4. I enjoyed 1, 2 and 3, but I thought 4 was the best, probably because 4 has a lot more RPG elements, and that is my favorite genre. I can understand why strategy fans might prefer the first 3, because 4 is a departure from the formula. Still, if you like RPGs and wished that the heroes were more important/ customizable in the first 3, then homm 4 is definitely worth a try. I could never really get into 5, it just seemed lacking the fun of the first 4.

Odds of me seeing 75% off on the Force Unleashed series? They got down to 4.99/ea previously, but do not appear to be headed that way again. If not, is there a cheaper source than steam to get them through?

HOMM was 4, 2, 3 in that order.

I've found I'm liking the direction of Point-and-click adventures less and less. Not saying it's BAD, just makes me hem-and-haw a bit more before deciding. Drop the price a bit and it'll make me more likely to pounce.

Edit: Damn all these Steamers.. Serious sam AGAIN.... (rolls eyes) I wanted Sims 3 (cross arms and pouts)

[quote name='alkaliv2']Odds of me seeing 75% off on the Force Unleashed series? They got down to 4.99/ea previously, but do not appear to be headed that way again. If not, is there a cheaper source than steam to get them through?[/QUOTE]

This is the first time that Donald and Mickey get to decide if they go on sale though. Disney is not near as freindly to steam.

I suppose its possible but I wouldn't count on it this late in the sale.

I just noticed that Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth is on sale for $5.99 at 40% off. If this had gone 75% off, I'd have bought it without thinking twice. I still have an old XBox copy somewhere and loved the game. It was probably the most terrifying game I've ever played and really stayed true to the whole Cthulu mythos.

Dammit!... all the vote games that I care about I own already... all the new flash games are... eh....

Why steam?!?! I stay home from work for you and you ... (sigh)

[quote name='CrimsonTribe']Fwiw, I loved HOMM 4. I enjoyed 1, 2 and 3, but I thought 4 was the best, probably because 4 has a lot more RPG elements, and that is my favorite genre. I can understand why strategy fans might prefer the first 3, because 4 is a departure from the formula. Still, if you like RPGs and wished that the heroes were more important/ customizable in the first 3, then homm 4 is definitely worth a try. I could never really get into 5, it just seemed lacking the fun of the first 4.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Therapy']I played HOMM 3 a lot and loved it. Haven't tried 4 much and 5 is still in my backlog waiting to be played...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']HOMM was 4, 2, 3 in that order.

I've found I'm liking the direction of Point-and-click adventures less and less. Not saying it's BAD, just makes me hem-and-haw a bit more before deciding. Drop the price a bit and it'll make me more likely to pounce.[/QUOTE]

It seems I need to try HOMM 4... My favorite genre is RPG too.

In terms of point and click adventures, most of the times I prefer to replay the classics. Why nobody ports them to Android? I know there are some... But I want day of the tentacle, kyrandia, Sam & max...

A friend of mine just IMed me to say that Steam glitched and let him add Blood Bowl Legendary Edition at 100% off for a whopping total of -0,01€, and now he's ramming the buy button on checkout's next to last step 'cause he's convinced that a "small temporary connection problem" isn't allowing him to take home this sweet, sweet deal... should I say something to him? Reading him struggle is kinda amusing, though... :lol:

Speaking of which, I remember getting a code for the same game during my early days on Steam but, after launching it, the very first screen asked me for a code. I checked the CD-keys that came with the installation, there were two IIRC, but neither did work and thus I wasn't able to play.

I remember something about an incident with a polish magazine website during which a ton of free codes intended for its readers were exploited, and Blood Bowl was among the capitalized games, so I thought the code I was gifted with would probably be one of those copies.

Am I stuck with an unplayable game in my inventory? Can I remove it from my account? Or should I contact Steam support explaining the problem so that I can (maybe) invest in a legit copy?

[quote name='juanjava']It seems I need to try HOMM 4... My favorite genre is RPG too.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes you do. HOMM4 is tied with 3 and even overtakes 3 for me as well because of the rpg aspect that 4 has that the others lack.

Though I will warn you one aspect that is either loved or hated is that your general is a actual unit in HOMM4 so you can move them around,cast their spells, or have them get killed and be without a general till you get back to a city again.

If you've played Fallen Enchantress the whole system works like that only years earlier and in a HOMM package.

[quote name='Sophita']Yes, yes you do. HOMM4 is tied with 3 and even overtakes 3 for me as well because of the rpg aspect that 4 has that the others lack.

Though I will warn you one aspect that is either loved or hated is that your general is a actual unit in HOMM4 so you can move them around,cast their spells, or have them get killed and be without a general till you get back to a city again.

If you've played Fallen Enchantress the whole system works like that only years earlier and in a HOMM package.[/QUOTE]

Coincidentally, I was looking at Fallen Enchantress... Seems to be a good game. But will wait a price drop and a better offer :)

[quote name='Genocidal']Not going to lie, I'm legitimately hoping for a 50% off flash sale on YNAB.[/QUOTE]
That looks like pretty interesting software. I really only spend $ on 3 things. Steam sales is the only one that won't benefit me in a ZPaw environment. Unless I get the Solar backup thing going. ;-)

[quote name='pROvIs']Rocksmith activates on steam and is at amazon for $14.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubisoft-Rocks.../ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=13572322

I'm tempted but may want to wait to see if its a steam daily.[/QUOTE]

I almost bit on the PC version of Rocksmith from Amazon that was a physical copy and included the cable for $37, which (as I understand from the reviews) also activates on Steam. I think after the whole "Rock Band" thing, my wife would kill me if I bought an actual guitar though. ;)

[quote name='juanjava']Coincidentally, I was looking at Fallen Enchantress... Seems to be a good game. But will wait a price drop and a better offer :)[/QUOTE]

It is a good game actually. I highly recommend it. Great tutorial too, which is something most strategy games suck at.

[quote name='Motoki']It is a good game actually. I highly recommend it. Great tutorial too, which is something most strategy games suck at.[/QUOTE]

Odd, I found the tutorial to be very lacking and really needed to be about 3x longer than it was. But the game is excellent, the thing is range units are OP.

Football Manager 2013 50% off - $19.99
I Am Alive 66% off - $5.09
Civilization 50-75% off
Bastion 75% off - $3.74
Thief Franchise 75% off - Collection is $6.74
Tropico 4 80% off - $5.99

Speaking of "gems" of the steam sale. I can easily recommend the Overlord Complete Pack. It's on flash for $5 for the next four hours. It plays like the screenshots make it out. The script writing is entertaining dark humor and the voice acting is great. Some people say it plays like Pikmin (but I have no experience with Pikmin).

[quote name='jshackles']Only thing I don't already have that I find remotely interesting is I Am Alive. Any recommendations for or against?[/QUOTE]

Oops, nevermind, saw wrong %, still, pretty short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back