The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
-Complaint Mode On-

I don't know why they bothered stretching the dailies out to 48 hours if they're just going to repeat them every couple of days.

-Compalint Mode Off-

Actually some of my favorite games on this set of deals.

I'm addicted to Blood Bowl right now which I bought earlier in the sale.
I bought Fallen Enchantress in a publisher bundle earlier and was the star of the bundle.

Now both the games I've been trying to resist are being put up at the same time. Been hemmming and hawing on Age of Empires III for a week now but I'm trying to resist for my backlogs sake.

Tropico 4 I really want but I think I may hold out till a complete edition comes out.

Capitalism Ho~

I recommend Recettear to anyone even remotely interested in a dungeon crawler + shop management hybrid.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Just in case anyone is not watching the GamersGate thread after all the stuff that went on there, they do have the Legacy of Kain Collection on sale this morning for $5.81 after coupon. All 3 games are Steam Keys.

Not really a mistake worthy price like the items that were getting revoked, but a better deal than Steam has had on the collection directly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I was waiting for these to go on sale.

I'll also put out a recommendation for Bastion, for those that didn't get it in Humble Bundle 5, OR any of the other times it was on a Flash Sale. Great game, beautiful artwork, engaging soundtrack - just really damn cool.

[quote name='GamingKnight']Finally, Fallen Enchantress at 50% off. Let's do eet! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I am definitely interested in it, but I am going to wait for a cheaper price.

[quote name='jshackles']Showing 66% off - $5.09

Is it short in comparison to? Skyrim? Left 4 Dead?[/QUOTE]

I'd also like to know. The screenshots look good, but the Metacritic scores (for PC anyway) are bad.

[quote name='Slade']Capitalism Ho~

I recommend Recettear to anyone even remotely interested in a dungeon crawler + shop management hybrid.[/QUOTE]
I'm really looking to get it, but maybe I'll wait till next big sale. I smell a bundle with it in the meantime.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Odd, I found the tutorial to be very lacking and really needed to be about 3x longer than it was. But the game is excellent, the thing is range units are OP.[/QUOTE]

I like the videos and I though the tut did a good job showing you how to play the game too. Then again Endless Space's text walls tutorial didn't do a damned thing for me and I know some people said they were able to learn that game easy.

I guess everyone learns in different ways. For whatever reason, the Fallen Enchantress and Civ 5 tuts worked well for me when most every other strategy game makes me feel like :imwithst:

[quote name='poxi']I'm really looking to get it, but maybe I'll wait till next big sale. I smell a bundle with it in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that, Carpe Fulgur didn't like the idea of bundle inclusions ever since they let Valve add Recettear to the Story pack. It's possible, but chances are low that Carpe Fulgur games will be in bundles.

[quote name='KaOTiK']oh balls

Forgot the GMG coupon expired today, was going to pick up the Fallen Enchantress DLC grrr[/QUOTE]

I heard that map DLC was lame and not worth it, if it makes you feel any better. I was pondering it but I kept reading from people over and over saying it wasn't worth it so I passed.

So from what I hear, it looks like Painkiller Hell & Damnation is a supershiny remake of the original Painkiller + Battle Out of Hell (- a few levels) ? I was working under the assumption that it was yet another brand new Painkiller title.

Anyway, if it's a shinier remake of the original then I'm thinking the $5 pricetag may be worth it for some good ol' fashioned FPS fun. Do any of you CAGs have thoughts on the matter?

I want I Am Alive and Deadlight, but only at 75% off or less. Just shorter xbox live arcade games so I don't want to pay more than a few bucks for them.

[quote name='sunghost']Good luck with that, Carpe Fulgur didn't like the idea of bundle inclusions ever since they let Valve add Recettear to the Story pack. It's possible, but chances are low that Carpe Fulgur games will be in bundles.[/QUOTE]
Nice to know. Never read any complaints from them about bundles.
Anyway, we'll have at least one numbered HIB before Summer Sale, maybe even two. I'm sure I wouldn't have time to play it, so I'm waiting.

[quote name='stupidproz1']I can find no logical reason to not buy these game's I have not played but probably never will.

29cpac3.jpg

That's a lot of money. I always have a hard time with GOG because in general I feel they are way to expensive for 20 year old games.
[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you a short story.

There is a guy on eBay called "AllVideo" who does nothing but sell older titles with a cheesy DosBox installer.

I bought a few games from him few years ago. To my amazement the games were replicated. So I complained to eBay. He refunded me.

I talked to a place that does replication from masters for educational titles and did Global Stars replications, actual creation of the CDROMS. I sent the CDROM off to them (Ultima Collection & X-Com). They told me I was right, they are in fact pirated.

Writeable CD's can be bought that look "silver" just like CD's that are out of the box per se and can be printed on. The printing they said appeared to be done with a high quality thermal printer.

I told eBay this. They asked for a statement from the replicator. So, they sent a statement. In fact, they sent it over and over. eBay refused to respond back to them. When I inquired again they said unless I am the VERO authorized person they will not act on it. I told them then just BUY one and send it out or have someone at eBay just heat or take a solvent and wipes off.

Wanted no part of it. Yet, best I can figure he makes between $3000-$5000 a month minimum and they do ZERO about it. I gave up which is exactly what eBay wanted me to do.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']So from what I hear, it looks like Painkiller Hell & Damnation is a supershiny remake of the original Painkiller + Battle Out of Hell (- a few levels) ? I was working under the assumption that it was yet another brand new Painkiller title.

Anyway, if it's a shinier remake of the original then I'm thinking the $5 pricetag may be worth it for some good ol' fashioned FPS fun. Do any of you CAGs have thoughts on the matter?[/QUOTE]

Reviews say: it's missing like 20 levels (including missing the awesome final level). The AI is also very dull/bad. Yes, it's shinier (UT3). Advice is still stick with Painkiller Black Edition.

[quote name='Motoki']I heard that map DLC was lame and not worth it, if it makes you feel any better. I was pondering it but I kept reading from people over and over saying it wasn't worth it so I passed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I heard it was so so, but I love giant ass maps. I play my games till I own the entire map and have tons of cities lol.

[quote name='Meowser']Let me tell you a short story.

There is a guy on eBay called "AllVideo" who does nothing but sell older titles with a cheesy DosBox installer.

I bought a few games from him few years ago. To my amazement the games were replicated. So I complained to eBay. He refunded me.

I talked to a place that does replication from masters for educational titles and did Global Stars replications, actual creation of the CDROMS. I sent the CDROM off to them (Ultima Collection & X-Com). They told me I was right, they are in fact pirated.

Writeable CD's can be bought that look "silver" just like CD's that are out of the box per se and can be printed on. The printing they said appeared to be done with a high quality thermal printer.

I told eBay this. They asked for a statement from the replicator. So, they sent a statement. In fact, they sent it over and over. eBay refused to respond back to them. When I inquired again they said unless I am the VERO authorized person they will not act on it. I told them then just BUY one and send it out or have someone at eBay just heat or take a solvent and wipes off.

Wanted no part of it. Yet, best I can figure he makes between $3000-$5000 a month minimum and they do ZERO about it. I gave up which is exactly what eBay wanted me to do.[/QUOTE]

What about, like, contacting the FBI or whichever agency is the one that puts all those "Don't copy that floppy" messages on every home movie rental.

I'm thinking of modding oblivion and I was wondering if the community could help me out and give me and idea of where I should begin and what mods if any are essential?

[quote name='Cantatus']Dammit, Steam! Stop redoing deals and give me Little Inferno already![/QUOTE]

THIS.

Also really hoping we see Iron Brigade as a flash.

[quote name='Logain8955']THIS.

Also really hoping we see Iron Brigade as a flash.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on that. Just waiting for that 4 pack price to double dip. Rather play it on PC than on my 360.

Man, I was around when Hotline went free - but was debating if I wanted to use my coupon on that or Mass Effect 3, then missed it. Oh well...

Picked up Gamemaker Studio: Standard while it was on the flash sale. Pro's ability add various output plugins is nice for growth, but just being able to output to Windows is a good start. If I end up really liking the software and wanting more export options, I won't consider the $17 a large loss if I need to rebuy Pro and a plugin or two some day.

Also picked up RPG Maker VX Ace earlier in the sale; these software deals have actually been some of the most exciting deals on Steam this year for me. Titles I think I'd like to mess around with, but wouldn't want to pay full price. Almost bought Artrage too, mostly for the interface, but I've got plenty of art tools. Just nice to see some creative software instead of just another game. Really happy Steam gave this a go.

Now if only we could see a Humble Software Bundle or something. :)

I Am Alive.. is alright. Good setting, decent story. Fairly short (6-8 hours). Ending kinda stunk. I hated the endurance/stamina mechanic and actually DL'ed a trainer/cheat to turn it off (which is something I never do). Basically I spent 45 minutes climbing a building and got stuck up there because I had no food to replenish stamina. Didn't feel like redoing all that, grabbed a cheat - enjoyed the game a lot more from there on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rirath']Man, I was around when Hotline went free - but was debating if I wanted to use my coupon on that or Mass Effect 3, then missed it. Oh well...
Picked up Gamemaker Studio: Standard while it was on the flash sale. Pro's ability add various output plugins is nice for growth, but just being able to output to Windows is a good start. If I end up really liking the software and wanting more export options, I won't consider the $17 a large loss if I need to rebuy Pro some day.

Along with RPG Maker VX Ace earlier, these software deals have actually been some of the most exciting deals on Steam this year for me. Titles I think I'd like to mess around with, but wouldn't want to pay full price. Almost bought Artrage too, mostly for the interface, but I've got plenty of art tools. Just nice to see some creative software instead of just another game. Really happy Steam gave this a go.

Now if only we could see a Humble Software Bundle or something. :)
[/QUOTE]

Just use your coupon on whatever you'd buy at that price, then it's just a straight up $5 savings. Hotline Miami hasn't dropped less than $5 and it's a great game (and unlike anything in recent memory).

Do I remember correctly that last summer Steam did away with the recap day? In other words, is tomorrow likely to be new deals or recaps?

The entire sale has been recaps. The flashes and votes make it so there's no need for a recap day anymore because most stuff has been repeated multiple times already.

[quote name='Woodlands']Do I remember correctly that last summer Steam did away with the recap day? In other words, is tomorrow likely to be new deals or recaps?[/QUOTE]

Every day feels like it's been a recap, but yeah, pretty sure there wasn't a full recap day in the summer.

edit: ninja zing'd!

[quote name='Woodlands']Do I remember correctly that last summer Steam did away with the recap day? In other words, is tomorrow likely to be new deals or recaps?[/QUOTE]

I hope new deals, and 1/5 is a recap.

OR

1/4 and 1/5 have new deals, and 1/6 is a recap :D

Either way I want FC3 back on sale.

[quote name='Corpekata']The entire sale has been recaps. The flashes and votes make it so there's no need for a recap day anymore because most stuff has been repeated multiple times already.[/QUOTE]
Yep, now that we have 3 different places to pick up all the deals AND dailies are actually 48 hours now there's no reason to have a recap day. AND steam even emailed me when a game in my wishlist was a flash deal. So, there's no reason to have missed a deal that was offered. (unless it was a voted on deal that didn't get enough votes....)
[quote name='UW_Shocks']I hope new deals, and 1/5 is a recap.

OR

1/4 and 1/5 have new deals, and 1/6 is a recap :D

Either way I want FC3 back on sale.[/QUOTE]

It says through 1/5 because deals update in the middle of the day. So tomorrow will be our last new set of dailies. With all the rest of the deals set to end around midday on 1/5.

This sale ended a long time ago for me. It's been pretty lackluster from the get go, but there have still been a few gems here and there. I didn't get much from Steam, but I'm still happy with what I did pick up.

[quote name='Cantatus']Dammit, Steam! Stop redoing deals and give me Little Inferno already![/QUOTE]

I bought that on the Wii U* ... I don't know why I had so much fun with it. There really isn't that much to it ... at all. I don't know I just couldn't stop burning things! Over and over again ... all day ... burning things ... over and over again. :hot:

*Nintendo made me in order to activate the Deluxe Digital Promotion. :hot:

Did anyone notice that the 2-pack of KRATER is already 75% off? So if you're waiting to pick that one up, might as well do it now with someone else. Comes out to $3.37 a piece. I'll be waiting for a bundle personally.

Speaking of bundles, I wish games that have previously appeared in bundles would be exempt from appearing in the dailies. Flash sales or community votes is okay, but I'm tired of seeing the daily deals full of games that people have likely gotten cheap either from some other site or in a bundle.

[quote name='Woocls']I think I just got ANOTHER DotA2 gift. Is there anyone out there still looking for these things?[/QUOTE]

If nobody else bites, I've been wanting to try it but do not have it yet.

[quote name='Tsel']Did anyone notice that the 2-pack of KRATER is already 75% off? So if you're waiting to pick that one up, might as well do it now with someone else. Comes out to $3.37 a piece. I'll be waiting for a bundle personally.

Speaking of bundles, I wish games that have previously appeared in bundles would be exempt from appearing in the dailies. Flash sales or community votes is okay, but I'm tired of seeing the daily deals full of games that people have likely gotten cheap either from some other site or in a bundle.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I picked this up early in the sale. Less than 75% off one copy so it worked for me. Likely will be bundled, but will just gift that out once it happens.

[quote name='Nidaba']If nobody else bites, I've been wanting to try it but do not have it yet.[/QUOTE]
Sure, PM me your steam name or an email to send it to.

Anyone else? I still have 4 more... Yeah, no idea.

[quote name='pROvIs']Amazon deserves the sales and Tony is a good rep but its hard enough to keep up with the steam thread. Add a few more threads I try and follow, the off topic posts like this one, and a bunch of bitching constantly and it's near impossible. I think people need to relax, have some herbal tea, and get a snuggie or something. The entitlement drives me nuts. Sometimes you get a good deal sometimes you don't. It seems a lot more people are on CAG for profit recently.

On another note did any regulars miss the hotline Miami deal?[/QUOTE]
Picked one up for 2.49 yesterday morning.

[quote name='Genocidal']I sincerely hope that sales bit in your signature is a joke.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, me too, he's undercutting me by $5.

[quote name='Corpekata']No, the 4th is the last set of dailies, it ends the morning of the 5th.[/QUOTE]
I think today will be the last set of new dailies. Tomorrow will be a "Best of", the highest selling flash and dailies will come back in an encore.
Saying this because all the "new dailies" have lasted 48 hours. Don't think it makes sense to have new dailies with limited time compared to all the other dailies.

Fair warning on Bastion, it pretty much requires a game pad. I tried playing with a mouse and keyboard, but "straight" is diagonal so you are constantly having to hold 2 keys down to go straight. This was really annoying and I gave up. Now that I got an xbox wireless controller for PC, I will have to revist it and start playing again.

[quote name='glennfrank']I Am Alive.. is alright. Good setting, decent story. Fairly short (6-8 hours). Ending kinda stunk. I hated the endurance/stamina mechanic and actually DL'ed a trainer/cheat to turn it off (which is something I never do). Basically I spent 45 minutes climbing a building and got stuck up there because I had no food to replenish stamina. Didn't feel like redoing all that, grabbed a cheat - enjoyed the game a lot more from there on out.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up. It sounds like a good game to play when I feel like hating myself. I do the same thing with Dark Souls/Demon's Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back