The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='guardian_owl']Fair warning on Bastion, it pretty much requires a game pad. I tried playing with a mouse and keyboard, but "straight" is diagonal so you are constantly having to hold 2 keys down to go straight. This was really annoying and I gave up. Now that I got an xbox wireless controller for PC, I will have to revist it and start playing again.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. It plays just fine with keyboard and mouse.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Fair warning on Bastion, it pretty much requires a game pad. I tried playing with a mouse and keyboard, but "straight" is diagonal so you are constantly having to hold 2 keys down to go straight. This was really annoying and I gave up. Now that I got an xbox wireless controller for PC, I will have to revist it and start playing again.[/QUOTE]

Just to nudge you a bit :) I play Bastion on my iPad..... no gamepad there ;-)

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']So from what I hear, it looks like Painkiller Hell & Damnation is a supershiny remake of the original Painkiller + Battle Out of Hell (- a few levels) ? Do any of you CAGs have thoughts on the matter?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='asheskitty']Reviews say: it's missing like 20 levels (including missing the awesome final level). The AI is also very dull/bad. Yes, it's shinier (UT3). Advice is still stick with Painkiller Black Edition.[/QUOTE]

Listen to kitty! Stick to PK: Black. It holds up nicely and the remake is... yet another... cheap cash-in by the publisher.

Super Meat Boy with a keyboard makes me want to rage but I am just to cheap to buy a controller for my PC.

I enjoyed I am alive but it was fairly short and I also hated the stamina part. Played it on the xbox.

Nowwww to upgrade my Civ 5 to the GOTY for $5 decisions decisions.

[quote name='sunasun']Picked one up for 2.49 yesterday morning.

Yeah, me too, he's undercutting me by $5.

I think today will be the last set of new dailies. Tomorrow will be a "Best of", the highest selling flash and dailies will come back in an encore.
Saying this because all the "new dailies" have lasted 48 hours. Don't think it makes sense to have new dailies with limited time compared to all the other dailies.[/QUOTE]

There's no reason for encores anymore. The entire idea behind flash sales and votes conflicts with such an idea. All of the really popular sales (aside from maybe the Ubisoft stuff) have been repeated multiple times by now.

Will PS3 controllers work?

[quote name='CKEStriker']Will PS3 controllers work?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kiwimonster']Super Meat Boy with a keyboard makes me want to rage but I am just to cheap to buy a controller for my PC.

I enjoyed I am alive but it was fairly short and I also hated the stamina part. Played it on the xbox.

Nowwww to upgrade my Civ 5 to the GOTY for $5 decisions decisions.[/QUOTE]

You can use a PS3 controller on your PC:
http://www.motioninjoy.com/download
Tutorial is on there also the download for the drivers.

You can also use a wired xbox 360 controller on the PC, or even a wireless xbox 360 controller, it just requires you to have a little wireless receiver thing that costs like 15-20 bucks I think.

[quote name='CKEStriker']Will PS3 controllers work?[/QUOTE]

PS3 controllers generally work great (my favored controller). You do need to use MotionInJoy for Xinput (360) emulation, but beyond that it's pretty fantastic. You can use over USB or with a compatible Bluetooth dongle ($2 on Amazon).

You can get a cheap knockoff wireless receiver for like 10 bucks on Amazon. Requires a little fiddling with drivers (directions tend to be in the top rated reviews) but works dandy after that.

[quote name='dfg']What about, like, contacting the FBI or whichever agency is the one that puts all those "Don't copy that floppy" messages on every home movie rental.[/QUOTE]

Authorities dont care. I had contacted them several times when this happened to me and got the standard "Would you like to fill out a report" which I did, nothing.

Sad thing is most people just dont realize what he's doing, stealing, selling counterfeit items and then stealing again from the buyers.

Sad, people paying $50,$60 and more for pirated items.

You can change the control scheme so that it plays like Diablo, where you use your mouse to move/attack and have all the other actions bound to keyboard.

[quote name='asheskitty']Speaking of "gems" of the steam sale. I can easily recommend the Overlord Complete Pack. It's on flash for $5 for the next four hours. It plays like the screenshots make it out. The script writing is entertaining dark humor and the voice acting is great. Some people say it plays like Pikmin (but I have no experience with Pikmin).[/QUOTE]

Bought.

Could have sworn Civ 5 was already a daily but it wasn't. Just get the feeling I've seen it on the front page at least three times already.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Bought.[/QUOTE]

^_^ Raising Hell is an integrated expansion that adds four dungeons and fixes some issues with the base game. In Overlord 1 you'll always be playing Raising Hell (that confused me a little).

Not to be super negative, but I've been playing it solely with a keyboard and haven't had much of a problem.

[quote name='Lazy_Bum']Well I don't have skyrim so I can't use the conversion though I found the oblivion nexus website but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choices so are there any guides or faqs that can give me a hand that are current.[/QUOTE]

Modding ES games is a huge, huge rabbit hole you can go down and you can end up spending more time modding your game than playing it.

I'm serious.

It's hard to get a big 'best of' mods pack together because there's a fair amount of divaism among modders (not all but enough of them) and getting permission from like 30 or 40 different people to add their mods into a compilation can be very challenging.

^^^^
Modding ES games is all about personal preference; thus it is hard for us to give you a list of "BEST OF" mods just because there are literally thousands of them.

But as Motoki mentioned, grab a few if you want and start playing. When I first bought Oblivion, I ended up spending 15 hours researching and selecting mods I wanted for my first play through.
In hindsight, I should have just picked a few and played the game; as you can always add more mods at a future date.

But I can point to a few:
Qarl's Texture Pack
Unofficial Patches [Main Game + Shivering Isles + DLCs]

[quote name='UW_Shocks']^^^^
Modding ES games is all about personal preference; thus it is hard for us to give you a list of "BEST OF" mods just because there are literally thousands of them.

But as Motoki mentioned, grab a few if you want and start playing. When I first bought Oblivion, I ended up spending 15 hours researching and selecting mods I wanted for my first play through.
In hindsight, I should have just picked a few and played the game; as you can always add more mods at a future date.

But I can point to a few:
Qarl's Texture Pack
Unofficial Patches [Main Game + Shivering Isles + DLCs][/QUOTE]

You know, I totally get that about everyone having different preferences of what they want in mods, but at the same time sometimes I just one an easy all in one solution to give me a fairly decent modded, non-vanilla experience. I'm willing to allow for some aspects that aren't necessarily 100% to my taste in exchance for getting several days of my life back that would otherwise have been spenting hunting around and tweaking various mods. Admittedly, I probably do get a little obsessive about it once I get started with mods though. :p

The Unofficial patches agreed are definite musts. The amount of little bugs and typos they fix is astounding and they're one of the few mods that almost everyone can agree on.

Qarls is good too but then you have Qarls and Qarls Redimized and Qarls Redimized Reduced etc etc and the options start to give you a headache just looking at them all.

[quote name='InfenroIII']While we're talking about Mods , can anyone suggest some FO:NV mods?[/QUOTE]

New Vegas Redesigned

Also ENB, but the sheer number of them is dizzying so find a popular one and start there I guess.

[quote name='Splatoon']Personally I'm hoping for a Darkness II 75% off.[/QUOTE]

It's 75% off on amazon right now, or $2.49 if you have a $5 coupon.

[quote name='InfenroIII']While we're talking about Mods , can anyone suggest some FO:NV mods?[/QUOTE]

Project Neveda is quite popular; It provides a great deal of rebalancing, all of which can be altered to suit your preferences. If you don't care for disrupting HUDs, you may want to try iHUD, which hides elements such as the crosshair and ammo counters when they are not in use. MTUI is one which I consider a must for higher resolutions, as it allows you to navigate menus much easier. I would also recommend the ENB Shaders, which enhance the lighting and shadows in the game, and the Mod Configuration Menu which allows you to enable and disable mods while in game.

Apologies if that was a bit overwhelming. I did not intend to provide so many links, there are simply too many quality mods for this game out there.

[quote name='asheskitty']Speaking of "gems" of the steam sale. I can easily recommend the Overlord Complete Pack. It's on flash for $5 for the next four hours. It plays like the screenshots make it out. The script writing is entertaining dark humor and the voice acting is great. Some people say it plays like Pikmin (but I have no experience with Pikmin).[/QUOTE]
My wife made me buy this last holiday sale for the same price. It was definitely worth it. Awesome just to see your minions wearing ladies underwear on their heads.
[quote name='walkonshadows']Bought.[/QUOTE]
smart man

[quote name='BernardoOne']hmm, Overlord bundle... buy or no buy?[/QUOTE]
definite buy

Wait.

So is the sale ending on the 4th at 1159ish or the 5th at 1159pm?

Banner at the top of the store page says "December 20 - January 5"

Wondering because I've been holding off on a few titles until the last day to see if they go up to 75% off.

[quote name='sunasun']My wife made me buy this last holiday sale for the same price. It was definitely worth it. Awesome just to see your minions wearing ladies underwear on their heads.

smart man

definite buy[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I will buy it now, I remember playing the demo of the first one some years ago and it was pretty fun. Thanks! :D

[quote name='carl7117']what $5 coupon?[/QUOTE]

The Editor's Choice coupon that you could get for buying specific games from Amazon before January first.

Edit: Maybe credit is a better word. It's not a code or anything, it's just applied to your account.

[quote name='Tourista']Wait.

So is the sale ending on the 4th at 1159ish or the 5th at 1159pm?

Banner at the top of the store page says "December 20 - January 5"

Wondering because I've been holding off on a few titles until the last day to see if they go up to 75% off.[/QUOTE]
It will end at Noon CST (aka the normal time the store updates) on Jan 5. So we get 1 more daily update on Jan 4.

My first impressions after playing Hotline Miami for an hour:

1. No Steam overlay support
2. Alt-tab half-broken
3. Annoying graphic glitches with newer AMD drivers, have to go back to catalyst 12.6 or below to fix (may only apply to certain GPUs, but it affected mine)
4. Game is pretty difficult early in, not a game you want to play to relieve stress.
5. Wtf is alienware mode? What does enabling/disabling Steamworks do? Game is very vague with its features, doesn't explain them.

Don't understand why the game is so highly regarded, but I do admit that it's addictive despite how many deaths I've experienced so far.

Oh, and I recommend playing with mouse/keyboard. Game requires very quick response time, making it harder to play with a controller.

[quote name='Woocls']It will end at Noon CST (aka the normal time the store updates) on Jan 5. So we get 1 more daily update on Jan 4.[/QUOTE]

And considering they're already recycled a majority of their sales. I'm betting I'm SOL for Fallout 3/NV.

Guess I can't be too bummed about it, I haven't even finished the 360 copy of NV that I have.

[quote name='sunghost']My first impressions after playing Hotline Miami for an hour:

1. No Steam overlay support
2. Alt-tab half-broken
3. Annoying graphic glitches with newer AMD drivers, have to go back to catalyst 12.6 or below to fix (may only apply to certain GPUs, but it affected mine)
4. Game is pretty difficult early in, not a game you want to play to relieve stress.
5. Wtf is alienware mode? What does enabling/disabling Steamworks do? Game is very vague with its features, doesn't explain them.

Don't understand why the game is so highly regarded, but I do admit that it's addictive despite how many deaths I've experienced so far.

Oh, and I recommend playing with mouse/keyboard. Game requires very quick response time, making it harder to play with a controller.[/QUOTE]
The big thing is that death isn't really a punishment. There's no load time and the only punishment is starting over that stage. So, get in there and trial and error that beast until you get a flawless kill chain!

I disagree with the disagree-ers on Bastion! I found a controller much easier to deal with, especially when you acquire a shield and need to redirect projectiles in a specific direction. I couldn't get the hang of it on KB but it was much easier with an analog stick. Especially if you plan on dealing with the score attack modes and achievements; those get seriously hectic.

[quote name='BernardoOne']hmm, Overlord bundle... buy or no buy?[/QUOTE]

If you're considering it, I'd say buy it.

[quote name='sunasun']My wife made me buy this last holiday sale for the same price. It was definitely worth it. Awesome just to see your minions wearing ladies underwear on their heads.
smart man

definite buy
[/QUOTE]

Sheepies! Apart from the enjoyable gameplay and great humor, I also just got a kick running around an having my minions wreak playful havoc (similar to the fun of just causing mayhem in a GTAish game).

[quote name='sunghost']My first impressions after playing Hotline Miami for an hour:

Oh, and I recommend playing with mouse/keyboard. Game requires very quick response time, making it harder to play with a controller.[/QUOTE]

You and I are just two very different people. The deaths in Hotline Miami never bothered me, and I'm a raging madman when I game. I just found them so comical that I'd frequently start laughing. For example, I once walked into the bathroom right passed a guy taking a leak who turned and blew me away with a double barrelled shotgun. Oops.

The game is glitchy, though. If I leave my computer running for too long, the game glitches out and stops playing music. Also, the controller support is a waste of time. It is beyond terrible. I agree.

smart man

definite buy[/QUOTE]

Overlord is one of the most fun original franchises this gen. Really good games.

A shame the franchise seems dead.

[quote name='Woocls']It will end at Noon CST (aka the normal time the store updates) on Jan 5. So we get 1 more daily update on Jan 4.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Broken Cage']And considering they're already recycled a majority of their sales. I'm betting I'm SOL for Fallout 3/NV.

Guess I can't be too bummed about it, I haven't even finished the 360 copy of NV that I have.[/QUOTE]
was hoping theyd have a fallout franchise sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back