The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunghost']My first impressions after playing Hotline Miami for an hour:
1. No Steam overlay support
2. Alt-tab half-broken
3. Annoying graphic glitches with newer AMD drivers, have to go back to catalyst 12.6 or below to fix (may only apply to certain GPUs, but it affected mine)
4. Game is pretty difficult early in, not a game you want to play to relieve stress.
5. Wtf is alienware mode? What does enabling/disabling Steamworks do? Game is very vague with its features, doesn't explain them.

Don't understand why the game is so highly regarded, but I do admit that it's addictive despite how many deaths I've experienced so far.
Oh, and I recommend playing with mouse/keyboard. Game requires very quick response time, making it harder to play with a controller.[/QUOTE]

It actually plays okay with a controller. Mouse however gives superior aiming for throws/gunplay. I'm controller biased, but I'd recommend KB/M. Only stress relieving in that intense action sort of way. I tend to play it in short bursts. It's really nice in that you can jump in and just play for a short bit. it's an interesting tactical/twitch gaming combination.

[quote name='Woocls']The big thing is that death isn't really a punishment. There's no load time and the only punishment is starting over that stage. So, get in there and trial and error that beast until you get a flawless kill chain![/QUOTE]

This. One of the best streamlining things they did -- the instant back to the ultraviolence.

[quote name='Stri26']Is Magicka fun? I've never gotten into it.[/QUOTE]

for me, it was only fun in coop. you dont necessarily need 4 people to play with. Most of my playtime was with just 1 coop buddy. We never even beat the game, but had a lot of fun just messing around, observing glitches, and "accidentally" killing each other. You need voice chat to increase the fun too.

another friend of mine just beat the whole game solo in 1 day. we made fun of him for months cuz the game is real frustrating solo and just feels like work.

[quote name='JakeNome']for me, it was only fun in coop. you dont necessarily need 4 people to play with. Most of my playtime was with just 1 coop buddy. We never even beat the game, but had a lot of fun just messing around, observing glitches, and "accidentally" killing each other. You need voice chat to increase the fun too.

another friend of mine just beat the whole game solo in 1 day. we made fun of him for months cuz the game is real frustrating solo and just feels like work.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I only played it solo and liked it. The game is all about how all the different elemental combinations create spells and how the spells interact. Once you find your favored combinations for different situations the game isn't hard.

OK updated Enhanced Steam to the probably-not-much-anticipated v1.0

Nothing much new besides some bug fixes and a few code rewrites. Still working on tracking down a few additional bugs and building an options page where you can configure colors and whether or not it displays the Steam total on your account page.

I have determined that the bug people have been reporting where not all games are correctly highlighted: it's on Valve's end - the requests are timing out. So hopefully after the sale ends, and the traffic dies down some, this won't be an issue.

Anyway, if you don't already have the Extension, it can be found here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhanced-steam/okadibdjfemgnhjiembecghcbfknbfhg

(I really should put that in my sig or something...)

I'm with everyone else hoping for a Fallout sale before the end. I have 'em both, but my wife wants Fallout 3 so if no sale tomorrow I guess I'll call the current discount good enough.

I admit that the high profile games that have popped up in this sale have had some pretty lackluster prices, but there have still been quite a few deals to be had. I did a couple of "upgrades" I know - I traded in my PS3 copy of Dead Rising 2: OTR for *almost* $10, which is what the DR2 bundle went down to. And today I grabbed the Overlord pack for $5, and it looks like BB will give me $6.30 for my PS3 copy of OL2. :)

>.> Thrilling flash sales on the penultimate day. 25% off spoderman, 50% off To The Moon -- be still my heart. (Okay the rerun of GTA @ 75% ain't that bad.)

Edit: dropped to 50% & 66%.

by the way is anyone having problems with saints row the third? i cant switch my guns or buy ammo for them. also my controller doesnt move the character

Should I get Tropico 3 Gold for 3.75, or Tropico 4 + Modern Times for about 10 bucks? Is that particular upgrade really worth the extra 6 bucks, knowing I'll lack the rest of the DLC? Is there only a few of the DLC packs that are really worth it?

Thanks in advance for the deal advice!

[quote name='sunghost']My first impressions after playing Hotline Miami for an hour:

[/QUOTE]

One thing I found out recently about a certain other game is that Windows sometimes is forcing games into compatibility mode without notiying you and this can prevent the overlay.

I'll have to check with Hotline Miami when I get home.

Also apparently some people on the community forum are saying they got it working by adding it as a non-steam game which is a rather silly hoop to jump through but sometimes ya gotta do...

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Should I get Tropico 3 Gold for 3.75, or Tropico 4 + Modern Times for about 10 bucks? Is that particular upgrade really worth the extra 6 bucks, knowing I'll lack the rest of the DLC? Is there only a few of the DLC packs that are really worth it?

Thanks in advance for the deal advice![/QUOTE]

Modern Times adds a fair bit to Tropico 4 if you are willing to accept that you won't get access to those buildings until later in the game when you, well, reach Modern Times. I do think T4+MT is worth the (sale) price of admission but if you are totally pinching pennies 3 is decent as well.

The other DLC for me is eh. Doesn't add much. If you can get a cheap at a later time then go for it but I wouldn't stress over it.

[quote name='zillionandnine']So how is To The Moon, anyway? It's largely passed under my radar until now.[/QUOTE]

I liked To the Moon quite a bit and thought it was very well done. You just have to understand that it's not an RPG and not even quite an adventure game but more a visual novel of sorts. It's 95% story and 5% game.

I think the story is quite good and the method of telling it (backwards) rather unique. There's not really much replayability to it though.

I do think it's worth the price if you are a story person but if you really need a gamey game with a lot of gameplay then no.

[quote name='zillionandnine']So how is To The Moon, anyway? It's largely passed under my radar until now.[/QUOTE]

One of the most touching games you will ever play. I can't recommend it enough.

.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much what I thought of it at first. I went into it expecting a Loaded-type of game. Once I understood that it's really Super Meat Boy meets overhead action/strategy it became much more interesting.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']Should I get Tropico 3 Gold for 3.75, or Tropico 4 + Modern Times for about 10 bucks? Is that particular upgrade really worth the extra 6 bucks, knowing I'll lack the rest of the DLC? Is there only a few of the DLC packs that are really worth it?

Thanks in advance for the deal advice![/QUOTE]

Typical advice would be: Tropico 4 is very similar and has many improvements. Modern Times is the one DLC that most recommend. The rest are more or less small perks, minor units, and related missions. Pick and choose which interest you.

I went with Tropico 4, Modern Times, and Quick-Dry Cement. I'll decide whether or not I want to be a (DLC) Pirate, Military Dude, or whatever after I've played through the game a good bit.

Note, I've also heard great things about the To The Moon soundtrack and the bundle that includes that is only $4.24, so you might wanna consider that option if you're looking at buying it.

2. Alt-tab half-broken
3. Annoying graphic glitches with newer AMD drivers, have to go back to catalyst 12.6 or below to fix (may only apply to certain GPUs, but it affected mine)
4. Game is pretty difficult early in, not a game you want to play to relieve stress.
5. Wtf is alienware mode? What does enabling/disabling Steamworks do? Game is very vague with its features, doesn't explain them.

Don't understand why the game is so highly regarded, but I do admit that it's addictive despite how many deaths I've experienced so far.

Oh, and I recommend playing with mouse/keyboard. Game requires very quick response time, making it harder to play with a controller.[/QUOTE]
1. eh..yea not sure why
2. yep..
3. Didnt have any driver issues with nvidia
4. LOL yea I got stuck on the first building with a bunch of people in it. It was fun enough to not feel like smashing my keyboard though
5. I turned it on, got some errors, turned it off.

The AI are all sharpshooters...see you..BOOM DEAD

Was able to get my Crysis Maximum Edition and Crysis 2 Maximum Edition activated on Origin. :bouncy: No luck on Shank 2 (already have Shank on there)

I thoroughly enjoyed To The Moon and i bought it at full price. I even bought 3 more copies (2 to give to friends and 1 to give away in the CAG forum) because I thought more games like these should be made. I'm glad that Kan is working on more games in the same universe; they will be insta-buys for me :)

As Motoki stated, To The Moon is not an RPG (even though it looks like it was made with RPG Maker), and is closer to a pixel hunt with a heavy story focus. I tend to like games that focus on story even at the detriment of gameplay (I loved 999/Virtue's Last Reward and TWD this year), though with a few exceptions of course (looking at you, Heavy Rain). I guess I should clarify that I like games that focus on GOOD story :)

I also appreciated that TTM did not hold your hand for all the story points, as there are many things you'd have to read between the lines for. The music is excellent as well, I still play some of the songs on my computer when I'm writing papers.

[quote name='Motoki']I liked To the Moon quite a bit and thought it was very well done. You just have to understand that it's not an RPG and not even quite an adventure game but more a visual novel of sorts. It's 95% story and 5% game.

I think the story is quite good and the method of telling it (backwards) rather unique. There's not really much replayability to it though.

I do think it's worth the price if you are a story person but if you really need a gamey game with a lot of gameplay then no.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='syclick']One of the most touching games you will ever play. I can't recommend it enough.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='imac2much']I thoroughly enjoyed To The Moon and i bought it at full price. I even bought 3 more copies (2 to give to friends and 1 to give away in the CAG forum) because I thought more games like these should be made. I'm glad that Kan is working on more games in the same universe; they will be insta-buys for me :)

As Motoki stated, To The Moon is not an RPG (even though it looks like it was made with RPG Maker), and is closer to a pixel hunt with a heavy story focus. I tend to like games that focus on story even at the detriment of gameplay (I loved 999/Virtue's Last Reward and TWD this year), though with a few exceptions of course (looking at you, Heavy Rain). I guess I should clarify that I like games that focus on GOOD story :)

I also appreciated that TTM did not hold your hand for all the story points, as there are many things you'd have to read between the lines for. The music is excellent as well, I still play some of the songs on my computer when I'm writing papers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll consider it!

Just curious, imac2much, what do you have against Heavy Rain (if I'm understanding you right)? For me, the QTEs were sometimes hard/annoying but I had just gotten the PS3 when I first played the game and figured it was just me being unfamiliar with the controller.

[quote name='carl7117']have any of you ever asked gog for a refund? i bought farenheit(indigo prophecy) and it doesnt work.[/QUOTE]

They don't normally give refunds for that sort of thing. Best you could do is try checking their community forum for Farenheit for any help.

[quote name='jshackles']OK updated Enhanced Steam to the probably-not-much-anticipated v1.0

Nothing much new besides some bug fixes and a few code rewrites. Still working on tracking down a few additional bugs and building an options page where you can configure colors and whether or not it displays the Steam total on your account page.

I have determined that the bug people have been reporting where not all games are correctly highlighted: it's on Valve's end - the requests are timing out. So hopefully after the sale ends, and the traffic dies down some, this won't be an issue.

Anyway, if you don't already have the Extension, it can be found here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhanced-steam/okadibdjfemgnhjiembecghcbfknbfhg

(I really should put that in my sig or something...)[/QUOTE]

Does it automatically update? If not, how do I update it?

[quote name='carl7117']have any of you ever asked gog for a refund? i bought farenheit(indigo prophecy) and it doesnt work.[/QUOTE]

I bought it from there and mine works. Have you downloaded the GOG download widget recently? I had to get a newer version to get the extra content from Broken Sword to play.

[quote name='pantsattack']Does it automatically update? If not, how do I update it?[/QUOTE]

To update manually, go to tools, then extensions, select developer mode in the upper right and click on update extensions now.

Whoa, the Legacy of Kain Collection is $6.12 on Gamersgate. Activates on Steam. That's over half off the Steam price.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']To update manually, go to tools, then extensions, select developer mode in the upper right and click on update extensions now.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! It was actually v1.0 already.

[quote name='pantsattack']I bought it from there and mine works. Have you downloaded the GOG download widget recently? I had to get a newer version to get the extra content from Broken Sword to play.[/QUOTE]
i downloaded it with the gog downloader and it crashes before i can choose the language. i tried some things in the support page and now it crashed right after i choose the language

[quote name='zillionandnine']Thanks. I'll consider it!

Just curious, imac2much, what do you have against Heavy Rain (if I'm understanding you right)? For me, the QTEs were sometimes hard/annoying but I had just gotten the PS3 when I first played the game and figured it was just me being unfamiliar with the controller.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is I had quite high hopes going into this game, with reviews from major sites lauding hyperbole after hyperbole on its plot (see IGN's reference to Heavy Rain's story being on the same plane as a Scorsese film). So I entered prepared to forgive a slow start and QTE-laden gameplay in exchange for a story and character development that treated its audience with respect.

Instead I got a story full of plot holes both big and small, attempting to mislead the player with one red herring after another and failing to find a way to explain the glaring gaps in its narrative. Even MGS4 (a series that had an interesting premise and some original characters but gradually sank into a deep pit of Kojima's hubris) at least tied up most of its loose ends, albeit with some disappointing retcons. I didn't even mind the QTE-heavy gameplay; heck, Asura's Wrath was one of my favorite games this year! (and before someone points out, yes, Asura's Wrath had a ridiculous story but it was meant to be taken in that context, unlike Heavy Rain and its "serious business" vibe that held the suspense together).

I did play through for all the endings; ironically, although the game ended up disappointing me quite extravagantly, I managed to get a platinum on it just because I wanted to see all the plot lines to make sure I didn't miss anything. (Hint: I didn't)

Overall, I think Heavy Rain had a story that is moderately better than the average gaming narrative, but honestly that's not saying much. I don't want to lower my expectations just because the status quo is generally so low. I don't think every story needs to be award-winning (I enjoy Uncharted's plots in the same way I can watch a Hollywood summer blockbuster), but if a suspense narrative wants to be taken seriously, it should leave all the plot holes at the front door, hopefully alluding to any plot twists throughout the story instead of just springing "gotcha" moments in the player's face for the heck of it.

Sorry for the rant! I didn't want to name any specific plot points for the sake of spoilers.

Can someone who has played To the Moon give me an idea of how long it takes to finish? It sounds pretty good from what people are saying, but if it's too short I might wait to see if it turns up in a humble bundle someday.

[quote name='Redrazorback']Can someone who has played To the Moon give me an idea of how long it takes to finish? It sounds pretty good from what people are saying, but if it's too short I might wait to see if it turns up in a humble bundle someday.[/QUOTE]

My Steam excel tracker says I completed it in 3.3 hours. I'd say 3-4 hours is normal.

Tony,

I'm going to go Macho Man with these SlimJims on these orphans if you don't put Condemned Criminal Origins (steam) on the EC list!

[quote name='KaOTiK']Tony,

I'm going to go Macho Man with these SlimJims on these orphans if you don't put Condemned Criminal Origins (steam) on the EC list![/QUOTE]
Wrong thread.

Teeny bit off topic,I recently finished Red Faction: Armageddon, and later on I tried to play again, but it's telling me that it needs to "optimize" the games configuration? And now I'm downloading "missing" files?

Can anyone tell me exactly what Steam is doing?

[quote name='Detruire']Wrong thread.[/QUOTE]

I noticed like a min later. That is what I get for doing it while playing FTL and being attacked lol

[quote name='KaOTiK']Tony,

I'm going to go Macho Man with these SlimJims on these orphans if you don't put Condemned Criminal Origins (steam) on the EC list![/QUOTE]

Listen brother! You've come to the wrong thread now and if you don't get your butt out of here, I'm going to have to unleash these 24 inch pythons on you!

[quote name='The End']Question on the Blood Bowl games.

I see that there is Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition & a more recent game called Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition. Are these 2 entirely different games? Or is Chaos basically Legendary, but with some extra content? Sort of a GOTY of Legendary, so to speak?[/QUOTE]

As from what I could tell Chaos edition has 3 extra teams and that's about it but I am new to Blood Bowl on the PC.

I picked it up a week or two ago and can't say enough about it although it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I "splurged" and bought the chaos edition.

[quote name='Redrazorback']Can someone who has played To the Moon give me an idea of how long it takes to finish? It sounds pretty good from what people are saying, but if it's too short I might wait to see if it turns up in a humble bundle someday.[/QUOTE]
I have it but have not compleed it and it was in an indie royale bundle before that is how I got mine.

Man,

Steam really needs a messaging system. The entire post to someones wall is annoying. Especially if you want to have a conversation (i.e. Motoki)

Tropico was very simcity-esque.
Thief is old but is one of the games I think every gamer should have played in order to understand why we've gotten to where we are in the gaming world.
I am Alive.... no idea.

[quote name='The End']Question on the Blood Bowl games.

I see that there is Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition & a more recent game called Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition. Are these 2 entirely different games? Or is Chaos basically Legendary, but with some extra content? Sort of a GOTY of Legendary, so to speak?[/QUOTE]
Chaos edition is the latest and has a few additions as far as content over legendary. I will say that if you were to get one, get chaos edition. It uses steam as the drm. Where as Legendary has securom.

[quote name='Terlan']Chaos edition is the latest and has a few additions as far as content over legendary. I will say that if you were to get one, get chaos edition. It uses steam as the drm. Where as Legendary has securom.[/QUOTE]

Just to throw it out there if anyone does pick up Blood Bowl. I would love to try to play against a human opponent. Here is my steam info.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/oman1915

[quote name='bob_793']Magika 4-pack for 1.88 would be great if people would respond back on the group buy thread.... In any case need two more people pm if interested 1.88 paypal$[/QUOTE]

Where is the group buy thread. Sorry I'm fairly new around here. I would be interested to go in on the 4 pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back