The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='oman19']Where is the group buy thread. Sorry I'm fairly new around here. I would be interested to go in on the 4 pack.[/QUOTE]
edit: everyone linked it :p its not in the OP anymore unless im just completely blind (looks like the first page got deleted)

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Man,

Steam really needs a messaging system. The entire post to someones wall is annoying. Especially if you want to have a conversation (i.e. Motoki)
.[/QUOTE]

are you serious

[quote name='bob_793']Someone who knows what there doing plz check the OP either im just an idiot or the whole first page is missing[/QUOTE]

Yep, it be gone...

[quote name='imac2much']I think the problem is I had quite high hopes going into this game, with reviews from major sites lauding hyperbole after hyperbole on its plot (see IGN's reference to Heavy Rain's story being on the same plane as a Scorsese film). So I entered prepared to forgive a slow start and QTE-laden gameplay in exchange for a story and character development that treated its audience with respect.

Instead I got a story full of plot holes both big and small, attempting to mislead the player with one red herring after another and failing to find a way to explain the glaring gaps in its narrative. Even MGS4 (a series that had an interesting premise and some original characters but gradually sank into a deep pit of Kojima's hubris) at least tied up most of its loose ends, albeit with some disappointing retcons. I didn't even mind the QTE-heavy gameplay; heck, Asura's Wrath was one of my favorite games this year! (and before someone points out, yes, Asura's Wrath had a ridiculous story but it was meant to be taken in that context, unlike Heavy Rain and its "serious business" vibe that held the suspense together).

I did play through for all the endings; ironically, although the game ended up disappointing me quite extravagantly, I managed to get a platinum on it just because I wanted to see all the plot lines to make sure I didn't miss anything. (Hint: I didn't)

Overall, I think Heavy Rain had a story that is moderately better than the average gaming narrative, but honestly that's not saying much. I don't want to lower my expectations just because the status quo is generally so low. I don't think every story needs to be award-winning (I enjoy Uncharted's plots in the same way I can watch a Hollywood summer blockbuster), but if a suspense narrative wants to be taken seriously, it should leave all the plot holes at the front door, hopefully alluding to any plot twists throughout the story instead of just springing "gotcha" moments in the player's face for the heck of it.

Sorry for the rant! I didn't want to name any specific plot points for the sake of spoilers.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind rants like this :p

I did play the game to completion but I did not try for all the endings. I got a kinda cheesy (and what I thought was kinda cop-out) ending. I generally enjoyed it but now that I'm thinking about it, I do remember quite a few plot holes in that game's story.

Uncharted is friggin awesome though, they are definitely what I would call gaming "summer blockbusters". So fun!

[quote name='Redrazorback']Can someone who has played To the Moon give me an idea of how long it takes to finish? It sounds pretty good from what people are saying, but if it's too short I might wait to see if it turns up in a humble bundle someday.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to play it, but it seems like it takes about 4 hours, according to the How Long to Beat site: http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=3820 (I found out about this site a few minutes ago by accident, looks interesting).

Heavy Rain is a Dean Koontz novel that the gaming press and fans treated like it was Cormac McCarthy's latest opus.

There's room for the Dean Koontz works out there. They can be a fun beach read. But little more.

[quote name='Redrazorback']Can someone who has played To the Moon give me an idea of how long it takes to finish? It sounds pretty good from what people are saying, but if it's too short I might wait to see if it turns up in a humble bundle someday.[/QUOTE]

It took me just under 4hrs. It's more of an interactive story, but it's well worth it.

[quote name='Corpekata']Heavy Rain is a Dean Koontz novel that the gaming press and fans treated like it was Cormac McCarthy's latest opus.

There's room for the Dean Koontz works out there. They can be a fun beach read. But little more.[/QUOTE]

I want a Clive Cussler game.

[quote name='bob_793']Someone who knows what there doing plz check the OP either im just an idiot or the whole first page is missing[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Bertyo']are you serious[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Yep, it be gone...[/QUOTE]

intoxicated662 be to blame me thinks. Don't ruin this man. We have enough Steam thread troubles and don't want the WIKI-status removed. -100 to you.

Recon116 reinstated the OP. +1 to you dude.

[quote name='bob_793']allright im not crazy then....[/QUOTE]

Spoke too soon...it's back. :whee:

[quote name='pantsattack']Recon116 reinstated the OP. +1 to you dude.
[/QUOTE]

+2

I'd hold off Rocketbirds. I'm not sure about it, yet. It should be fun, it looks great, the music is boss, but it just... isn't.

I'm pondering Wanderlust: Rebirth. This is where people talk me out of it.

I can't believe I missed the Overlord Complete pack. I'm a tool.

Any chance someone bought an extra? Send me a PM and we'll work out terms.

Thanks CAGs.

[quote name='pantsattack']intoxicated662 be to blame me thinks. Don't ruin this man. We have enough Steam thread troubles and don't want the WIKI-status removed. -100 to you.

Recon116 reinstated the OP. +1 to you dude.[/QUOTE]
im srry i didnt know..... i dont want -100 :whistle2:(
+3 to recon116

[quote name='oman19']As from what I could tell Chaos edition has 3 extra teams and that's about it but I am new to Blood Bowl on the PC.

I picked it up a week or two ago and can't say enough about it although it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I "splurged" and bought the chaos edition.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Terlan']Chaos edition is the latest and has a few additions as far as content over legendary. I will say that if you were to get one, get chaos edition. It uses steam as the drm. Where as Legendary has securom.[/QUOTE]

Oh OK. Thanks guys.

Sounds like it's a better to get the Chaos Edition. Price is still a little high on that though. I generally don't like to spend more than $10 on a game on Steam. So I'll just hold off for now.

Thanks for the replies.

[quote name='Corpekata']Heavy Rain is a Dean Koontz novel that the gaming press and fans treated like it was Cormac McCarthy's latest opus.

There's room for the Dean Koontz works out there. They can be a fun beach read. But little more.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see Heavy Rain hit the PC, if David Cage & Quantic Dream would decide to support more than Sony...

...you know, like they did w/ Omikron and Indigo Prophecy AKA Fahrenheit.

[quote name='cranky2']Uncharted series.[/QUOTE]

For PC. ;_;

Maybe one day I'll get a used PS3 to run through the Metal Gears, Uncharteds, Team Ico's games, and Heavy Rain.

[quote name='bob_793']im srry i didnt know..... i dont want -100 :whistle2:(
+3 to recon116[/QUOTE]

It's really no big deal if it was an honest mistake. You can edit it without fear, and it wasn't you anyway.

I want to freshen up the OP once the sale ends adding things like the f2p games with game play vids including the APB character creation video and taking out IMO unnecessary things like the WHOLE list of activating keys when a link to the Steam page has the same info.

[quote name='Flowette']I'd hold off Rocketbirds. I'm not sure about it, yet. It should be fun, it looks great, the music is boss, but it just... isn't.

I'm pondering Wanderlust: Rebirth. This is where people talk me out of it.[/QUOTE]

I've heard it's a buggy mess.

Plus the developer is a douche and refused to give Steam keys to people who supported him early on and bought the game before it was on Steam. He told them they would have to rebuy it. Pretty lame if you ask me and that alone means I personally won't be buying it.

[quote name='Motoki']I've heard it's a buggy mess.

Plus the developer is a douche and refused to give Steam keys to people who supported him early on and bought the game before it was on Steam. He told them they would have to rebuy it. Pretty lame if you ask me and that alone means I personally won't be buying it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's a shitty way to treat your customers.

Ended up spending nothing on Steam for the whole sale. The few things that were good, I already had. Street Fighter AE 2012, Kotor etc... Welp time to countdown to the spring sale.

[quote name='Motoki']I've heard it's a buggy mess.

Plus the developer is a douche and refused to give Steam keys to people who supported him early on and bought the game before it was on Steam. He told them they would have to rebuy it. Pretty lame if you ask me and that alone means I personally won't be buying it.[/QUOTE]
Bravo! :D

Always uphold the Brawny Code.

(I'll wait for a bundle)

[quote name='Motoki']
That seems like the normal thing to do, to me. If I buy a game from particular location, I would never expect them to just give me more "copies" from other locations, later.

[quote name='Mooby']Wow, that's a shitty way to treat your customers.[/QUOTE]

http://forums.reflectgames.com/viewtopic.php?t=3956&sid=80ce16ea82ad19f0cc2e014efef63438

http://www.desura.com/games/wanderlust-rebirth/#3468880

And probably the Pièce de résistance:

http://forums.reflectgames.com/view...days=0&postorder=asc&highlight=steam&start=15

Some people got in a flame war over whether someone needed the game on Steam or should just add a shortcut and shut the hell up (because arguments like that never happen around here) and the Wanderlust Dev was amused by their tearing each other to threads because he was a philosophy major.

Jason and I weighed the options including the financial considerations and the ethical implications of giving out Steam keys to previous purchasers and decided to not do so.

Without getting into specifics, let me say that we are not trying to rip anyone off or steal from anyone, and that we appreciate every single person who has bought and supported our game. We just prefer to show our appreciation of the fans through adding features to the game rather than simply giving out keys.

In fact, great effort was spent (with Reflect Games) to ensure that everyone would be able to play with one another, non-Steam and Steam users alike, in order to address this very discussion and situation.

Trust that if you support us, we will support the game that you bought from us.
~Matt Griffin, Yeti Trunk

P.S. For the record I found the above discussion very interesting (not to mention entertaining) as I majored in Philosophy. All we ever did was argue. Cheers, fellas.

I see nothing wrong with them not giving Steam keys out. It isn't like they stated they would if they got on Steam before hand. Seems more like entitlement from people imo.

I'm new to using mods so I thought I'd ask here. I only own the DLC Episodes for GTA IV. If I download player skins, will they work with those too or do they only work with the original game?

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm tempted to pick it up. Also, the howlongtobeat site a couple of people linked is very cool. Thanks for that as well.

I don't think the promised anything.

Though I do have to question the integrity of one of those answers. He says that they don't do keys because it breaks a contract and also stiffs Valve some money. Then why are there dozens of other indie devs that do it? Hell there have been multiple indie bundles now based around the concept. You'd think if this were truly something Valve didn't appreciate they'd step in and stop it.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I see nothing wrong with them not giving Steam keys out. It isn't like they stated they would if they got on Steam before hand. [/QUOTE]
I agree. Expecting a steam copy when you didn't pay for a steam copy is absurd, unless they actually promised it.

[quote name='Englando IV']That seems like the normal thing to do, to me. If I buy a game from particular location, I would never expect them to just give me more "copies" from other locations, later.[/QUOTE]

Most developers are pretty good about doing it if you ask. Sometimes people buy Indie games early on before they are on Steam to support those developers but then the games get added to Steam later on and those people would like to have it on Steam when it is an option.

I can personally attest that I have been able to do with with a number of different indie developers and most are quite gracious about it. Some will give you a Desura key or gift copy too if you ask.

[quote name='Corpekata']I don't think the promised anything.

Though I do have to question the integrity of one of those answers. He says that they don't do keys because it breaks a contract and also stiffs Valve some money. Then why are there dozens of other indie devs that do it? Hell there have been multiple indie bundles now based around the concept. You'd think if this were truly something Valve didn't appreciate they'd step in and stop it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's BS and he's making excuses.

Anyway, I am not going to argue with you guys. Think whatever the hell you god damned please.

I just think it's the decent thing to do for a developer to return the favor for people who supported them early on before they hit the big time with Steam.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I see nothing wrong with them not giving Steam keys out. It isn't like they stated they would if they got on Steam before hand. Seems more like entitlement from people imo.[/QUOTE]

I'll have you know the Right to Steam Keys is secretly hidden in an obscure clause of the 5th Amendment~

Christ, if I knew it was going to stir all this shit up...

What am I saying, it's the internet of course someone is going to go YOUR OPINION IS WRONG BECAUSE BLA BLA BLA.

Anyway, it's an opinion. You guys don't have to agree or like it and I don't have to buy games from developers with policies like that.

The End.

Now go back to bitching about how much the deals suck bla bla.

I'm more on the NoBuy side because of the buggymessness factor than anything else, but I side with Motoki on this one I think. Early supporters help the game to get made, without financial support it wouldn't happen (one would assume). Maybe we'e just been spoilt in the past.

Anyways, balls to this. I should be asleep! :lol:

[quote name='Motoki']Most developers are pretty good about doing it if you ask. Sometimes people buy Indie games early on before they are on Steam to support those developers but then the games get added to Steam later on and those people would like to have it on Steam when it is an option.

I can personally attest that I have been able to do with with a number of different indie developers and most are quite gracious about it. Some will give you a Desura key or gift copy too if you ask.
[/QUOTE]
So, because it's happened in some cases, anyone who doesn't find a way to go past reasonable expectations is a douche who hates his customers. Got it.

[quote name='Motoki']Most developers are pretty good about doing it if you ask. Sometimes people buy Indie games early on before they are on Steam to support those developers but then the games get added to Steam later on and those people would like to have it on Steam when it is an option.

I can personally attest that I have been able to do with with a number of different indie developers and most are quite gracious about it. Some will give you a Desura key or gift copy too if you ask.[/QUOTE]

As much as I'd like to get a Steam-version when I already own another version elsewhere, I'd NEVER expect it.

I'd never expect AAA studios like say EA to give me Mass Effect 2 Steam-key, when I own it already from Retail (which optionally activates on Origin);
or say UbiSoft to give me Far Cry 2 on Steam, when I already own it from Retail.

I did have Greg Kasavin offer me a Steam-copy of Bastion b/c it had Stranger's Dream DLC, when I was unhappy that my copy of Bastion (DRM-FREE) on Gamersgate didn't have the DLC for sale on their site. Well, little did I know - he said to check and redownload Gamersgate's build and see if it got added b/c he sent them one recently - and it was updated! The file was bigger in size. And the new content was there in-game! Crisis averted. I told Greg to keep his Steam-key and that I appreciated his very nice offer. Why Gamersgate didn't note on their Bastion page the game got Stranger's Dream DLC added, I'll never know.
{shrug}

EDIT:
[quote name='Flowette']Now you leave him outta this![/QUOTE]
LOL! :whistle2: X

[quote name='Flowette']I'm more on the NoBuy side because of the buggymessness factor than anything else, but I side with Motoki on this one I think. Early supporters help the game to get made, without financial support it wouldn't happen (one would assume). Maybe we'e just been spoilt in the past.

Anyways, balls to this. I should be asleep! :lol:[/QUOTE]

In all seriousness. If the gameplay side of things and the buggy/non-bugginess of it is your main criteria you should probably find someone who owns it since I am just going off of hearsay on that.

And yes, you should be in bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back