The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Flowette']Anyways, balls to this. I should be asleep! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Better get your beauty sleep in now cause there is gonna be some insane Doom Rails action at this time tomorrow!!!

Spec Ops: The Line is a poorly written love letter to
Chuck Palahniuk. "Dear Chuck, I think you are a good book writer. You have inspired me to write good book too. Please read this copy I have enclosed and tell me how good it is."

The morality choices don't even exist. Choices are only choices if they are actually choices and then make some sort of impact. Kill this guy, or not, whatever. Kill these civilians, or not, you'll feel the same either way. The white phosphorous scene was weak at best since most people would try to avoid doing it, thus creating a disconnect when forcing the player to do it. I didn't feel bad about doing it because I had no choice not to.

The gameplay ranged from mildly enjoyable to extremely frustrating. This coincided with the annoying difficulty spikes between the regular gameplay segments and the hold this area segments.

If the morality choices were better fleshed out and the story actually reached the bar they were trying to set I'd agree with all the praise. As it is, I think people are praising the story because people are telling them to praise the story, and who wants to be the outsider?

To The Moon, it seems like an interesting concept that would make a good movie but I'm not sure how well it would work in a game. Has anyone played it and can you give a recommendation on it?

[quote name='Preedatore']Spec Ops: The Line is a poorly written love letter to
Chuck Palahniuk. "Dear Chuck, I think you are a good book writer. You have inspired me to write good book too. Please read this copy I have enclosed and tell me how good it is."

The morality choices don't even exist. Choices are only choices if they are actually choices and then make some sort of impact. Kill this guy, or not, whatever. Kill these civilians, or not, you'll feel the same either way. The white phosphorous scene was weak at best since most people would try to avoid doing it, thus creating a disconnect when forcing the player to do it. I didn't feel bad about doing it because I had no choice not to.

The gameplay ranged from mildly enjoyable to extremely frustrating. This coincided with the annoying difficulty spikes between the regular gameplay segments and the hold this area segments.

If the morality choices were better fleshed out and the story actually reached the bar they were trying to set I'd agree with all the praise. As it is, I think people are praising the story because people are telling them to praise the story, and who wants to be the outsider?[/QUOTE]

A great game is a great game; and a great story is a great story.

In this game (Spec Ops: The Line) to me, it doesn't matter if there are (what looks to be) "choices" there...and they have little to no impact. The point is - WAR is HELL and no matter what, it's going to be horrible. That's it.

Same can be said about Bioshock, as well. A LOT of that game has "double-speak" on the illusion of choices in games, as well.
Hence Atlas/Fontaine mentioning "Would you kindly..." a billion times and you basically follow HIS wanted LINEAR path; and there's VERY FEW cut-scenes b/c those takes control away from the player - and at the MOST important moment in the game, they TAKE control purposely AWAY from the player and you slaughter Andrew Ryan.
The choice in Bioshock is how you deal out the combat, NOT in the real outcome of the story and your "so-called" mission.

It doesn't matter if you save or harvest Little Sisters - you're STILL eventually going to get all the same amount of Adam (experience points) to upgrade your character.
The only thing - game isn't much different, except for the final ending (one super-flowery; the other super-abrupt, dark, and violent).

Some games do use the "illusion of choice" to beat something right over your head - even when you think you might have some choice laid in front of, you really just don't have choice. Doesn't matter what you decide - you're screwed. Outcome's still gonna be the same - bloody horrible. You're always at the mercy (if there is any) of the designer and their rules entirely; and also at the mercy of whatever moments and outcomes they decide to actually script for you. Same can go for life in some instances, as well - no matter what, you're flat-out screwed.

Also - these games like Bioshock and Spec Ops: The Line are very linear shooters, in the path you follow. They are NOT say RPG's littered w/ multiple decisions galore where throughout the entire game, where things are purposely always changed on you depending on what you decide. Not every game is going to try to be Alpha Protocol where every decision you make can change...just about everything. Plus, Triple-A titles w/ that kind of "Choice" insanity take forever to develop.

I agree, and although I enjoyed Bioshock, this is the reason I passed on Spec Ops. Despite all the good things I hear about it, I just don't have time for another linear game on my backlog...

But then again, I just got alpha protocol. Oops.

[quote name='MysterD']A great game is a great game; and a great story is a great story.

In this game (Spec Ops: The Line) to me, it doesn't matter if there are (what looks to be) "choices" there...and they have little to no impact. The point is - WAR is HELL and no matter what, it's going to be horrible. That's it.

Same can be said about Bioshock, as well. A LOT of that game has "double-speak" on the illusion of choices in games, as well.
Hence Atlas/Fontaine mentioning "Would you kindly..." a billion times and you basically follow HIS wanted LINEAR path; and there's VERY FEW cut-scenes b/c those takes control away from the player - and at the MOST important moment in the game, they TAKE control purposely AWAY from the player and you slaughter Andrew Ryan.
The choice in Bioshock is how you deal out the combat, NOT in the real outcome of the story and your "so-called" mission.

Some games do use the "illusion of choice" to beat something right over your head - even when you think you might have some choice laid in front of, you really just don't have choice. Doesn't matter what you decide - you're screwed. Outcome's still gonna be the same - bloody horrible. You're always at the mercy (if there is any) of the designer and their rules entirely; and also at the mercy of whatever moments and outcomes they decide to actually script for you. Same can go for life in some instances, as well - no matter what, you're flat-out screwed.

Also - these games like Bioshock and Spec Ops: The Line are very linear shooters, in the path you follow. They are NOT say RPG's littered w/ multiple decisions galore where throughout the entire game, where things are purposely always changed on you depending on what you decide. Not every game is going to try to be Alpha Protocol where every decision you make can change...just about everything. Plus, Triple-A titles w/ that kind of "Choice" insanity take forever to develop.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='melvinmelon123']To The Moon, it seems like an interesting concept that would make a good movie but I'm not sure how well it would work in a game. Has anyone played it and can you give a recommendation on it?[/QUOTE]

I think that it works really well as long as you go in knowing that it's basically a slightly interactive story and don't expect button mashing, leveling up, finding hidden objects etc.

The story has you working your way backwards through a dying man's memories so you get the ending first but you don't know the beginning at all or how and why things got that way. What you end up doing is jumping chronologically backward through the man's memories and you get more pieces each time you do that pulling back another layer.

It think it was an excellent story and a method for telling that story. As has been mentioned, it is a bit short, about 3-4 hours, and since the whole game is the story there really is not much point to replaying it once you know the story.

Still, for the sale price if you like a good story and a somewhat unique method of storytelling I would say go for it.

Man, I really hope Steam becomes awesome and throws up the Star Wars games for 75% off.... Looks like most of them only ever hit 50% but a guy can wish....

[quote name='imac2much']I think the problem is I had quite high hopes going into this game, with reviews from major sites lauding hyperbole after hyperbole on its plot (see IGN's reference to Heavy Rain's story being on the same plane as a Scorsese film). So I entered prepared to forgive a slow start and QTE-laden gameplay in exchange for a story and character development that treated its audience with respect.
Instead I got a story full of plot holes both big and small, attempting to mislead the player with one red herring after another and failing to find a way to explain the glaring gaps in its narrative. Even MGS4 (a series that had an interesting premise and some original characters but gradually sank into a deep pit of Kojima's hubris) at least tied up most of its loose ends, albeit with some disappointing retcons. I didn't even mind the QTE-heavy gameplay; heck, Asura's Wrath was one of my favorite games this year! (and before someone points out, yes, Asura's Wrath had a ridiculous story but it was meant to be taken in that context, unlike Heavy Rain and its "serious business" vibe that held the suspense together).

I did play through for all the endings; ironically, although the game ended up disappointing me quite extravagantly, I managed to get a platinum on it just because I wanted to see all the plot lines to make sure I didn't miss anything. (Hint: I didn't)

Overall, I think Heavy Rain had a story that is moderately better than the average gaming narrative, but honestly that's not saying much. I don't want to lower my expectations just because the status quo is generally so low. I don't think every story needs to be award-winning (I enjoy Uncharted's plots in the same way I can watch a Hollywood summer blockbuster), but if a suspense narrative wants to be taken seriously, it should leave all the plot holes at the front door, hopefully alluding to any plot twists throughout the story instead of just springing "gotcha" moments in the player's face for the heck of it.

Sorry for the rant! I didn't want to name any specific plot points for the sake of spoilers.
[/QUOTE]

Substantive negative critiques (imac's + preed's) are a welcome breath of fresh air around here. I'm dying to write something about The Walking Dead's shortcomings but right now most of what I have rattling around my skull sounds too much like nerd rage.

Why are the timer's on the mobile app's flash listings all f'd? Lame.

edit: kwonster, you should do something about that sig

[quote name='kwonster']I agree, and although I enjoyed Bioshock, this is the reason I passed on Spec Ops. Despite all the good things I hear about it, I just don't have time for another linear game on my backlog...

But then again, I just got alpha protocol. Oops.[/QUOTE]

Spec Ops: The Line is MUCH shorter than Alpha Protocol.

Spec Ops: The Line took me around 7 hours...
...while Alpha Protocol took me a good approximate 19 hours or so.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Man, I really hope Steam becomes awesome and throws up the Star Wars games for 75% off.... Looks like most of them only ever hit 50% but a guy can wish....[/QUOTE]

Lucas are cheap bastards. I watch those games all the time but they never go on cheap sales with the exclusion of KOTOR and I guess KOTOR2 now.

I really want those damned Lego Star Wars games 75% off dammit! :bomb:

[quote name='Preedatore']Spec Ops: The Line is a poorly written love letter to

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with this. I thought Spec Ops was interesting, and I find Palahniuk to be completely insufferable.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I don't agree with this. I thought Spec Ops was interesting, and I find Palahniuk to be completely insufferable.[/QUOTE]

Spec Ops: The Line did a great job of making me feel garbage and like I don't want to be a soldier...
...meanwhile most other military shooters act like they are trying to recruit me and sing the opening verse to the "Team America Theme Song."

[quote name='MysterD']A great game is a great game; and a great story is a great story.

[/QUOTE]

The problem is the story never reaches what it aspires to. It wants so so bad to hit you with that big right hook, but instead it's throwing out spaghetti arm jabs.

I thought Spec Ops was a fucking fantastic game, not in the sense of fun, but in the sense of the experience you'll get from playing it. There's few other games out there that do what Spec Ops does, it's a game that ascends the "games are toys" mentality going on and does it extremely well. Had I known it would have been so great, I would have easily bought it at full price, even regarding the relatively short length.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Man, I really hope Steam becomes awesome and throws up the Star Wars games for 75% off.... Looks like most of them only ever hit 50% but a guy can wish....[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting for Empire at War to get to -75% for... I think 3 sales now. The times it has gone that low are super-brief, so I suspect they were price-errors.

[quote name='Motoki']Lucas are cheap bastards. I watch those games all the time but they never go on cheap sales with the exclusion of KOTOR and I guess KOTOR2 now.

I really want those damned Lego Star Wars games 75% off dammit! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I think I've seen the Jedi Knight bundle as low as $5...

[quote name='Preedatore']The problem is the story never reaches what it aspires to. It wants so so bad to hit you with that big right hook, but instead it's throwing out spaghetti arm jabs.[/QUOTE]

Here's why I'd say otherwise - and that it does hit you with a right hook.

Spec Ops: The Line - END GAME SPOILERS
By the end, Walker is suffering from PTSD - and whether you decide to have Walker kills himself or not, he's screwed. It's bleak and dark, either way.

I. If Walker commits suicide - it's all over. He doesn't survive or overcome his past, nightmares and PTSD.

II. If you decide to live here - then what you decide to do if you put the gun down or not when confronted, that's also a bleak and terrible outcome.
A. You can fire the gun - and then just flat-out die in a blaze of "glory" (quoted "glory" b/c I use it VERY- VERY loosely and sarcastically). Bleak. Walker doesn't survive his nightmares and PTSD. He loses.
B. Sure, you can put the gun down and decide to live - but that's also a poor decision, too. Seeing Walker's final horrible look on his face, it symbolizes Walker is probably never going to be able to function properly in society, after everything he's been through and done. He's going to probably even have more people suffer seeing him go through PTSD and Lord knows whatelse, dragging them (likely, his loved ones) also into his miseries that he'll have to forever live with. And who knows if Walker doesn't take the war with him and literally could physically hurt others. I'd be nice for him to come around and overcome this - but the game gives no implications, hints, or signs that would show otherwise.

It's sad, dark, depressing, and bleak - no matter what. That's one of the main points of the game.
WAR IS HELL.

[quote name='mrfossey']I think I've seen the Jedi Knight bundle as low as $5...[/QUOTE]

it was a sale last year

i spent too much on sales this week but i did grab

la noire complete (when it flash sale'd)
gta collection(didnt realize that the flash sale was still more expensive then what the collection as a whole was on sale for in general)
dead island goty(i hated this game so i don't know why i bought it)

I find it funny calling a war story badly written. War sucks. It's not supposed to be inspiring literature, it's supposed to be full of blood, death, sorrow, and ultimately suck.

Was Spec Ops a masterpiece of fiction? Not at all, but it accomplished what it set out to do, which was create a bleak, impossible, depressing scenario.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Ahem[/QUOTE]

Sorry I'm on my phone haha so I probably missed that because I don't like reading pages of forums on here. Does that activate on steam?

[quote name='cigaro']Do you guys think spec ops will drop below 50 percent off?[/QUOTE]

Buy it on Amazon for two fiddy with coupon right now. It activates on Steam. Ask for help in the amazon thread if you don't have a coupon. (I'm out.)

[quote name='Idiotekque']I find it funny calling a war story badly written. War sucks. It's not supposed to be inspiring literature, it's supposed to be full of blood, death, sorrow, and ultimately suck.

Was Spec Ops a masterpiece of fiction? Not at all, but it accomplished what it set out to do, which was create a bleak, impossible, depressing scenario.[/QUOTE]

Compared to most other shooters, the story and characters are MUCH better in Spec Ops: The Line when compared to most games in its genre (military shooter).

You're definitely right - it set out to create a bleak, impossible, depressing, and screwed-up scenario - and it worked 100%, if you ask me.

When it comes to depressing story-driven and character-driven shooters, Max Payne series and Spec Ops: The Line surely do a damn good job at this.

Thanks for the answers guys if anyone could help me out with the 5 dollar coupon that would be great. Ill really post in the amazon thread though

[quote name='MysterD']Here's why I'd say otherwise - and that it does hit you with a right hook.

By the end, Walker is suffering from PTSD - and whether you decide to have Walker kills himself or not, he's screwed. It's bleak and dark, either way.

I. If Walker commits suicide - it's all over. He doesn't survive or overcome his past, nightmares and PTSD.

II. If you decide to live here - then what you decide to do if you put the gun down or not when confronted, that's also a bleak and terrible outcome.
A. You can fire the gun - and then just flat-out die in a blaze of "glory" (quoted "glory" b/c I use it VERY- VERY loosely and sarcastically). Bleak. Walker doesn't survive his nightmares and PTSD. He loses.
B. Sure, you can put the gun down and decide to live - but that's also a poor decision, too. Seeing Walker's final horrible look on his face, it symbolizes Walker is probably never going to be able to function properly in society, after everything he's been through and done. He's going to probably even have more people suffer seeing him go through PTSD and Lord knows whatelse, dragging them (likely, his loved ones) also into his miseries that he'll have to forever live with. And who knows if Walker doesn't take the war with him and literally could physically hurt others. I'd be nice for him to come around and overcome this - but the game gives no implications, hints, or signs that would show otherwise.

It's sad, dark, depressing, and bleak - no matter what. That's one of the main points of the game.
WAR IS HELL.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to point out for the endgame, that, (Spoilers)

Regarding the ending where Walker drops the gun and turns himself in, the scene fades to white, which is used throughout the game to point out Walker's delusions (heavy Lugo, for example). It's very possible that the only supposed "happy" ending is just another hallucination.

[quote name='MysterD']Compared to most other shooters, the story and characters are MUCH better in Spec Ops: The Line when compared to most games in its genre (military shooter).

You're definitely right - it set out to create a bleak, impossible, depressing, and screwed-up scenario - and it worked 100%, if you ask me.

When it comes to depressing story-driven and character-driven shooters, Max Payne series and Spec Ops: The Line surely do a damn good job at this.[/QUOTE]
I'm a war memoirs book junkie. The best books are terribly written (by soldiers), but the meat and potatoes of the story still gets through.

[quote name='rman']I'm so sad that this sale has no sales on racing games except for the simbin stuff.[/QUOTE]

F1 2013 and F1 Race Stars were both on sale :p

[quote name='MysterD']Here's why I'd say otherwise - and that it does hit you with a right hook.

WAR IS HELL.[/QUOTE]

Just to add to what you put up above spoiler on the ending of Spec Ops.

You could also fire the gun and survive in the end, with walker decimating those troops sent to retrieve him and declaring to the newcomers "welcome to Dubai" over the radio, effectively leaving him in his perpetual hell without dying in a blaze of glory.

[quote name='hbluft']Just to add to what you put up above spoiler on the ending of Spec Ops.

You could also fire the gun and survive in the end, with walker decimating those troops sent to retrieve him and declaring to the newcomers "welcome to Dubai" over the radio, effectively leaving him in his perpetual hell without dying in a blaze of glory.
[/QUOTE]

That's dark as hell, as well...
Damn....
{SMH}

EDIT 1:
[quote name='Davinatorman']I'd like to point out for the endgame, that, (Spoilers)

Regarding the ending where Walker drops the gun and turns himself in, the scene fades to white, which is used throughout the game to point out Walker's delusions (heavy Lugo, for example). It's very possible that the only supposed "happy" ending is just another hallucination.
[/QUOTE]

That's pretty messed-up, too.

EDIT 2:
For those wondering the ending I received in my 1st (and only) playthrough so far...
Shot away from the mirror; and dropped the gun.

[quote name='rman']I'm so sad that this sale has no sales on racing games except for the simbin stuff.[/QUOTE]

These were all flash sales:

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit $4.99 75% off
Need for Speed Undercover $2.49 75% off
Need for Speed Shift $4.99 75% off

Don't forget Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacer. Or is that 'simbin?' I have no idea what that even means.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']These were all flash sales:

[/QUOTE]

Ridge Racer: Unbounded's base game, DLC's, and Complete Pack were on sale at 66% off, as well.
I think it was a Flash Sale.

[quote name='Mooby']Don't forget Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacer. Or is that 'simbin?' I have no idea what that even means.[/QUOTE]

hockey-penatly-box-0789.jpg

[quote name='Mooby']Don't forget Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacer. Or is that 'simbin?' I have no idea what that even means.[/QUOTE]

SimBin are simulation-style racing dev's.
They made GTR series and RACE series.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']These were all flash sales:

[/QUOTE]

Missed it...damn Jack Daniel's. Here's hoping for some Grid and/or Dirt 3 on the last day.

Ah. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of racing games.

Fake/real edit: Pretty sure one of the Dirt games was a flash yesterday or the day before. I know because I curse out loud whenever a racing game takes a featured sale spot over Alpha Protocol or the neglected Deathspank games... or anything that isn't a racing game.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I forgot Ridge Racer went on sale because the price pissed me off lol[/QUOTE]

Only a CAG would people get outraged over the 9% difference between 66 and 75 percents. ;)

[quote name='Mooby']Ah. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of racing games.

Fake/real edit: Pretty sure one of the Dirt games was a flash yesterday or the day before. I know because I curse out loud whenever a racing game takes a featured sale spot over Alpha Protocol or the neglected Deathspank games... or anything that isn't a racing game.[/QUOTE]

Wait - when's any of the Big Rigs games going on sale? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back