The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cantatus']Ah, yeah. Rookie CAG mistake. Us vets know Steam is mainly for hording and using as a bargain hunting simulator. We're like dragons that way. We sit atop our massive horde of digital goods, constantly looking for new things to grow it, but to actually use it for anything other than looking pretty? Bah! Ridiculous![/QUOTE]
My belly is impervious to weapons due to the layer of ones and zeros embedded into my flesh.

Holy crap that was a sweet deal. Checked my phone when I woke up a bit ago and saw it for 91%off. I figured it was a glitch and jumped on it. Also grabbed all the DLC, except for the two that weren't on sale. Thank god you can make purchases from the Android app! Else I would have missed out by the time I got to my PC

[quote name='Cantatus']Ah, yeah. Rookie CAG mistake. Us vets know Steam is mainly for hording and using as a bargain hunting simulator. We're like dragons that way. We sit atop our massive horde of digital goods, constantly looking for new things to grow it, but to actually use it for anything other than looking pretty? Bah! Ridiculous![/QUOTE]

Hahaha

[quote name='Neuro5i5']What I've learn in my 2 months of CAGship...

Play games - February March April May June August September October
Buy Games - January July November December[/QUOTE]

Right on. Right on.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']Same, I got 2 sleeping dogs in my room right now. I have my heater on so they are just chilling :D[/QUOTE]I don't think your heater is working properly if that's so. If you had the air conditioner on and they were just heating, that would also be a problem.

[quote name='deftrance']Hmm... thinking about picking up the Darksiders Franchise, as I don't have II yet.[/QUOTE]

Tony announced over in the Amazon thread that it will be $13.19 again sometime in January. I don't know if the Editor's Choice promo will apply at that time...

Also: Amazon has Price-matched The Walking Dead, making it $7.49 after the Editor's Choice promotional credit.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I don't think your heater is working properly if that's so. If you had the air conditioner on and they were just heating, that would also be a problem.[/QUOTE]

LOL, ok you got me :applause:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Glad to see so many of you followed principle #6 from my Steam sale guide. Well done, my children.[/QUOTE]
Go apeshit over any 90%+ discount no matter what the game is or why you'd want it?

I'm disappointed at the selection of games for the encore sale, I own most of those games except for:

Dark Souls PTD - I have the base game on PS3 and Amazon has it for way cheaper
XCOM - I have this on PS3 as well, waiting to go cheaper to double dip on it
The Sims 3 - not interested in it to be honest, not my type of game
Anno 2070 - not sure what this game is even about so I think I'll skip it (again)
Natural Selection II - this game look really good but I already have CS:GO, Chivalry and War of the Roses to keep me busy on the multi-player front
Ace of Spades - same as natural selection 2 but there is a slight chance I'll grab it since its cheaper. I might even do a 4-pack but I'm not sure yet

[quote name='Neuro5i5']What I've learn in my 2 months of CAGship...

Play games - February March April May June August September October
Buy Games - January July November December[/QUOTE]

You're a quick study. ;)

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Which would I get more enjoyment out of: Dishonored or Hitman: Absolution?

They just seem so similar.[/QUOTE]

Hitman: AbsolutELY.

I found Dishonored simple, hollow, empty, boring, hyped.

I was hoping the assassin's creed games would show back up. I passed because of UPlay, but then got SC: Conviction which I didn't realize had it anyway. May as well have gotten AC.

[quote name='ochentay4']Hitman: AbsolutELY.

I found Dishonored simple, hollow, empty, boring, hyped.[/QUOTE]

Bah, I'm liking Hitman: Absolution quite a bit.
And I absolutely LOVED Dishonored.

I very much enjoyed Hitman: Ab and got bored about ten minutes into Dishonored. But, to be fair, I may have just been tired of crouch-walking my way through games and needed a genre change.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I very much enjoyed Hitman: Ab and got bored about ten minutes into Dishonored. But, to be fair, I may have just been tired of crouch-walking my way through games and needed a genre change.[/QUOTE]

I try NOT to play TWO games in the same genre back-to-back.
That's never a good idea, IMHO.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I very much enjoyed Hitman: Ab and got bored about ten minutes into Dishonored. But, to be fair, I may have just been tired of crouch-walking my way through games and needed a genre change.[/QUOTE]

I played Dishonored in a completely different way than I played Hitman. They give you the tools to alter your plan on the fly, so if I got spotted or messed up I'd react instead of reload. It also meant I spent a lot less time sitting and waiting because I knew it wouldn't mean wasted time when I got a bit sloppy. I had a lot of fun doing it that way.

If anyone wants to purchase my Sleeping Dogs game + Dragon Master Pack + the additional discounted DLC (12 items) send me a PM. Hopefully my impulse buy will benefit someone who missed out.

Edited: All Gone!

I actually bought more than I expected to:

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Crysis Franchise
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Magic 2012
Magic 2013
Max Payne 1 and 2 Bundle
Thief Franchise
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War Franchise

[quote name='MysterD']Bah, I'm liking Hitman: Absolution quite a bit.
And I absolutely LOVED Dishonored.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MysterD']I try NOT to play TWO games in the same genre back-to-back.
That's never a good idea, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably get Hitman. Thanks for the advice!

[quote name='MysterD']I try NOT to play TWO games in the same genre back-to-back.
That's never a good idea, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I don't even like playing a soldier and infiltrator back to back
when I do a full every-class playthough in Mass Effect.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I need help. I spent about $250 on games during the Steam Sale.[/QUOTE]

That's like four console games with tax.

Despite the sale being bad, I still spent a ton. I might have been a bit more easy going since I was given a ton of Steam Wallet gift cards lol.

[quote name='Palinn']If anyone wants to purchase my Sleeping Dogs game + Dragon Master Pack + the additional discounted DLC (12 items) send me a PM. Hopefully my impulse buy will benefit someone who missed out.[/QUOTE]

I would buy it off of you.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I need help. I spent about $250 on games during the Steam Sale.[/QUOTE]

It's not how much you spent; it's how many games you got on the money you spent.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Which would I get more enjoyment out of: Dishonored or Hitman: Absolution?

They just seem so similar.[/QUOTE]

Dishonored is meant to be played as stealth game where you want to minimize the number of your kills.

[quote name='louiedog']I played Dishonored in a completely different way than I played Hitman. They give you the tools to alter your plan on the fly, so if I got spotted or messed up I'd react instead of reload. It also meant I spent a lot less time sitting and waiting because I knew it wouldn't mean wasted time when I got a bit sloppy. I had a lot of fun doing it that way.[/QUOTE]

You're referring to Hitman:Ab right?

Wow, so I just read back a few pages and saw the Sleeping Dogs glitch. Insane price. I just beat the game on 360 and it was absolutely fantastic. Easily one of my favorite games of the year.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']It's not how much you spent; it's how many games you got on the money you spent.[/QUOTE]

It's not even that. It's how much satisfaction and value you draw from owning the games, however many or few they may be. Some would say the pleasure you derive from playing them, but that's just crazy talk.

[quote name='asheskitty']You're referring to Hitman:Ab right?[/QUOTE]

No. Dishonored. In Hitman, once something goes wrong it's either a shooter or you reload. In Dishonored I killed two people in the game and any time that I was spotted I was able to get away and try again.

I was very disappointed in Hitman. Half the levels were the type of stealth gameplay I don't like and some of the design choices (loading checkpoint resetting the level, the disguises system, and others) made the more traditional Hitman levels less fun for me. I also ran into several bugs that kept me from enjoying myself.

[quote name='DPsycho']That's like four console games with tax.[/QUOTE]

I was tallying up my August to present expenditures and almost had to grab some Pepto until this exact rationalization realization passed through my mind. Except for me it would be like 10-11 new retail console games. ;)

Edit: And FWIW, I've only been aware of CAG since late October, so all of those August to pretty much November purchases are rather embarrassing.

Between Black Friday and this stuff I get a lot of satisfaction out of the deals. Built a high end PC, got a 40" 1080p LCD for my bedroom that I'm playing some of these games on, got dozens of games, new keyboard/mouse/360 controller, etc. and I've paid less than it would have cost to buy the PC retail.

yeah i'm starting to get the impression that stealth no-kill is not the way to play dishonored
(i guess i should replay human revolution for that)

[quote name='Tsel']Looks like everyone on my friends list got in on Sleeping Dogs and the DLC.[/QUOTE]

I've had the game since early September and bought it instantly as a gift when checking what they would bring back for today. Pays to check at 10 AM PST even for an encore of the sale that was an encore of encores.

That being said, I've got a gift copy I'm trying to unload.

Ah whatever there's bound to be a complete package release for SD eventually. Hopefully it would go on sale for $7.50 or so, as of now I have too big of a backlog anyway. Wouldn't mind getting it now but I won't be too bummed about it.

[quote name='DPsycho']It's not even that. It's how much satisfaction and value you draw from owning the games, however many or few they may be. Some would say the pleasure you derive from playing them, but that's just crazy talk.[/QUOTE]
Crazy talk indeed! :hot:

[quote name='louiedog']No. Dishonored. In Hitman, once something goes wrong it's either a shooter or you reload. In Dishonored I killed two people in the game and any time that I was spotted I was able to get away and try again.

I was very disappointed in Hitman. Half the levels were the type of stealth gameplay I don't like and some of the design choices (loading checkpoint resetting the level, the disguises system, and others) made the more traditional Hitman levels less fun for me. I also ran into several bugs that kept me from enjoying myself.[/QUOTE]

shitman crapsolution....i accidentally completed the china town level (2nd one i think?)
shot a cop. hid in a dumpster. for some reason the target ran around to where the cops body was and started looking at it. popped out, shot the guy, stole the dead cops uniform and instincted my way to the get away point.... i think ill be messing with the contracts mode mostly, just waiting for a few more weeks when i build my new pc

[quote name='DPsycho']It's not even that. It's how much satisfaction and value you draw from owning the games, however many or few they may be. Some would say the pleasure you derive from playing them, but that's just crazy talk.[/QUOTE]

and organizing them...
pKbEM.jpg

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I'm gonna get 2 or 3 Sleeping Dogs DLC, too bad I missed the pricing error. I didn't know there was a DLC with 20 new cop missions.[/QUOTE]

Which was that? I'm too lazy to look through all the descriptions. :)

[quote name='louiedog']No. Dishonored. In Hitman, once something goes wrong it's either a shooter or you reload. In Dishonored I killed two people in the game and any time that I was spotted I was able to get away and try again.

I was very disappointed in Hitman. Half the levels were the type of stealth gameplay I don't like and some of the design choices (loading checkpoint resetting the level, the disguises system, and others) made the more traditional Hitman levels less fun for me. I also ran into several bugs that kept me from enjoying myself.[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks! I only played like two hours of Dishonored (wasn't in patient/steath mood). Despite some great recent additions to my library, I'm still at bit tempted by Hitman:Ab @ $20. That helps me get in touch with my inner CAG more. =)

[quote name='Neuro5i5']I may be tardy to the party on this topic, but I'd be down on this Derp! Think Steam would Greenlight it?

MLPCombat07_16716_640screen.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It's using intellectual property that the creators don't have the rights to. Unequivocally no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back