The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']I have both the base and the expansion to Sims Medieval and the game works fine with the fan patch with the Steam version with no issues at all. Maybe EA will fix it someday but not holding my breath on that.

Also, remember you can register you keys for sims games over at sims3.com and then have them added to your Origin account so if you ever have an issue with the game on Steam or decide you want to use the non-Steam version you can always download it from Origin.

The versions of the Sims games you download from Origin do not require the Origin client, so once you download them you can close Origin and not have to have it open at all to run those games.[/QUOTE]

After reading the Sims Medieval threads over on EA either am I

I have the base game on Origin, so if I bought the expansion I would use the key to unlock it over there.

Does the fan patch need Origin to be off when it's running?

My haul: (Had to spoiler it because it's that long)
Ace of Spades
Alice: Madness Returns
Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
Assassin’s Creed II
Assassin’s Creed Revelations
Batman AA Goty
Batman AC Goty
The Binding of Isaac
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Borderlands Goty
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Cave Story+
The Darkness II
Darksiders
Darksiders 2
Dead Island
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Driver San Francisco
Duke Nukem Forever
Oblivion
Skyrim + Hearthfire + Dawnguard
Far Cry 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
All the Half Life games
Hitman: Absolution
Just Cause 2
LA Noire Complete
Portal
Portal 2
RAGE
Resident Evil 5
Saints Row the Third: Complete Package
Sleeping Dogs
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Witcher 2

[quote name='Jaysonguy']After reading the Sims Medieval threads over on EA either am I

I have the base game on Origin, so if I bought the expansion I would use the key to unlock it over there.

Does the fan patch need Origin to be off when it's running?[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't mess with Origin or Steam at all and it works with either version.

I don't think you can buy a sims expansion without the base though. Remember you had that issue with the Sims 3? You can put it in your inventory but then you can't see the CD key until it's redeemed. Steam would let you redeem an expansion if you don't own the base game on Steam.

I guess in your case if you got Medieval from Origin just kind of keep an eye out for a sale somewhere else on the expansion.

For me I was worried it would disappear again from Steam.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Any highly recommended Skyrim mods I should be using? I spent several hours yesterday downloading and configuring mods and I'm really enjoying playing through with them.[/QUOTE]
I don't do tons of modding and most of mine are just graphic enhancements. Gamewise, I'm using Deadly Dragons, Lightweight Potions, Left-Hand Rings and one of the various "rich merchant" mods I can't remember.

[quote name='Genocidal']I've been picking up a lot more games lately that don't scale up to my full screen res (what do you mean 2560x1440 is uncommon?) and hate how they start fullscreen and mess up the position of all the other windows I have open, usually cramming them into the corner making me have to resize and reposition every time I play a new game. Is there an app out there that will force games to start windowed on first run?[/QUOTE]
This.
So annoying on my dual monitors to have one of them go to 640x480 and screw up my window placements. Even 1080p can be bad as I have 2x2048x1152 monitors.

[quote name='Motoki']No it doesn't mess with Origin or Steam at all and it works with either version.

I don't think you can buy a sims expansion without the base though. Remember you had that issue with the Sims 3? You can put it in your inventory but then you can't see the CD key until it's redeemed. Steam would let you redeem an expansion if you don't own the base game on Steam.

I guess in your case if you got Medieval from Origin just kind of keep an eye out for a sale somewhere else on the expansion.

For me I was worried it would disappear again from Steam.[/QUOTE]
CRAP! You're right!

Do not do what you did before either, I will overcome this myself because your generosity is unmatched (plus it's hard enough to look for that something special to get you without being on the lookout for TWO things lol)

My Haul (Games I bought for myself + Gifts I got)

From Steam
Fairy Bloom Freesia
They Bleed Pixels
Doom Rails (Gift)
Legend of Fae (Gift)
Wanderlust: Rebirth (Gift)
Penny Arcade Ep 3 (Gift)
Giana Sisters: TD
Mark of the Ninja
Castle Crashers (Gift)
Tomb Raider Collection
Dawnguard and Hearthfire for Skyrim
Total War Battles: Shogun (The iOS game port)

From Gamer's Gate
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Legacy of Kain pack

So I got about 23 games and 2 dlc. I am happy.

[quote name='Jaysonguy'](plus it's hard enough to look for that something special to get you without being on the lookout for TWO things lol)[/QUOTE]
I bet he doesn't have Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming!

Combing all the fun of farming with the thrill of living in the 1950's...

Liked my haul. Noted my gifts as well

Steam:
-Jade Empire ($3.74)
-Rainbow Six Vegas 2 ($2.50)
-Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 ($2.50)
-Dawn of War Franchise Pack (For the DLC/$10)
-Chivalry: Medieval Warfare ($9/JakeNome)
-GTA Complete Pack ($12.50)
-Civ V Korea/Wonders DLC Combo ($1.88)

Amazon:
-2K Shooter Pack (Pre-2K promo.../$10)
-Nexius ($1)
-Scribblenauts Unlimited (Gift/$7.50)
-SR3 Full (For DLC/$2.50)
-Dreamcast Pack ($5)
-The WTF Pack ($5) [Sold BL1/DNF]
-Hotline Miami ($2.50)
-The Walking Dead ($7.50)

Other:
-HIB VII NBTA ($1)
-Bethesda Pack (GG/$29) [Sold Skyrim/FO3]
-BL2 4-Pack x2 (Only got two copies/$22.50)
-HIB V Extras Key SMB/Lone Surv./Braid (Gift/$3.29 via.CAG)
-Alan Wake's American Nightmare (GG/1,888 Blue Coins)
-Sleeping Dogs Nightmare in North Point DLC (GMG/$3.29)
-Alan Wake CE (GMG/$6)
-SF X Megaman / Auditorium (Free lulz)
-Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials (GameTap/$5 Promo)
-Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition (CAG/$5)
-Civ V GOTY (CAG/$5)
-Civ V: Gods & Kings Xpack (GMG/$3.15)
-Sims Medieval (Gift/$4 via.CAG)
-Indie Royale Fall Bundle (To The Moon Gift, kept the rest of the games/$5 via.CAG)
-Lara Croft: GoL (Won from GalaGiveaway)

[quote name='Motoki']To be fair Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is made with RPG Maker so that's why the low res. Other RPG maker game like To the Moon for instance have lower resolutions. A number of adventure games that run on AGS or SCUMMVM do as well. Also a not insubstantial number of indie games I have come across in general.

Maybe because I tend to buy a lot of the above, 640x480 neither surprises me nor bothers me that much. Usually I will run them in a window anyway and in some cases there are options to upscale them with various filters.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for explaining that! I wasn't aware of that limitation of RPG maker games. I'm used to 640x480 on old games (which are the only ones I've run in SCUMMVM, which I mainly run on my phone). I really would have liked some simple way to scale the window up.

[quote name='jshackles']what do you guys think? Will that work?[/QUOTE]

I think it's useful in bringing the DRM front-and-center. I didn't recognize the difference since it was obvious to me that it was simply grabbing the info from DRM label on the store page. One thought would be maybe to provide a link to one or two of the DRM-on-steam threads, like the figjabaittis (w/e) that Motoki linked.

[quote name='DPsycho']The resolution surprises me, too. Probably wouldn't have stopped me from buying it had I known beforehand.

On that note, here's my list of sale gains! I didn't bother including prices. Unless marked otherwise, items were bought through Steam at their best deal prices.

Purchased for myself:
Ys Origin
RPG Maker VX Ace
Dawn of War Franchise Pack
Star Wars: KOTOR
Scribblenauts Unlimited (Amazon, $7.49, earned voucher)
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack
2x Bethesda Collection (GG, redeemed Dishonored and gave wife Skyrim before keys ran dry)
Saints Row 2 (GG, blue coins I already had)
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Resonance
Hotline Miami (Amazon, $0.00)
GameMaker: Studio Basic
Emerald City Confidential
Inside a Star Filled Sky
Penny Arcade's On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
Magical Diary
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
Winter Voices: Overflow DLC
The Walking Dead (Amazon, $7.49)
Sleeping Dogs plus most DLC

Gifts and non-Steam items of note:
Purchased and given as gifts:

The Sims Medieval
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

Received as gifts:

They Bleed Pixels Collector's Edition (old college friend, I'd previously given him a couple of things without expecting this)
Doom Rails (Thanks, Motoki!)
Wanderlust Rebirth (BGCC drawing)

Misc:

Gray Matter (GG, $2.37)
Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) (GoG, $2.99)
[/QUOTE]

^_^ nod. I just like to note things that people may rage about. Despite not liking the demo, I'm thinking of picking it up GG with blue coins (since I don't have the faith in GG blue coins that I used to).

Does anyone wtih Cherry Tree High Comedy Club know what the DRM on the steam version is? I recall the original version had some unpleasant DRM.

[quote name='asheskitty']
I think it's useful in bringing the DRM front-and-center. I didn't recognize the difference since it was obvious to me that it was simply grabbing the info from DRM label on the store page. One thought would be maybe to provide a link to one or two of the DRM-on-steam threads, like the figjabaittis (w/e) that Motoki linked.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've been using that list to "test" out certain titles to make sure it matches correctly. Unfortunately, their naming conventions on this aren't universal ("Games for Windows - Live" and "Games for Windows Live", etc) are all separate text matches.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Is Anno 2070 a good deal at $20?[/QUOTE]
The cheapest I've ever seen it (for North America markets) was $15 from Amazon when it was base $20 with the $5 Ubisoft coupon.

Still too much money for me and some are vehemently opposed to its DRM scheme.

[quote name='jshackles']Yeah I've been using that list to "test" out certain titles to make sure it matches correctly. Unfortunately, their naming conventions on this aren't universal ("Games for Windows - Live" and "Games for Windows Live", etc) are all separate text matches.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the work!

Lol @ GTA IV

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Is Anno 2070 a good deal at $20?[/QUOTE]

I like to pretend the game doesn't exist, because of the included horrible TAGES DRM. Can't recommend buying it unless it's $5 or less.

I've always been amazed whenever I see anyone on my friends list in Steam start up GTA4 and not immediately crash out of the game with all the freaking DRM that title has.

[quote name='jshackles']Yeah I've been using that list to "test" out certain titles to make sure it matches correctly. Unfortunately, their naming conventions on this aren't universal ("Games for Windows - Live" and "Games for Windows Live", etc) are all separate text matches.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I had baselessly assumed that the DRM description field was sufficiently structured to simply match against it. It sounds like you're having to match against all possible forms of DRM.

[quote name='jshackles']
I'll just leave this here:

d8CX3.png
Seriously... wtf?[/QUOTE]

Sad but true.

[quote name='asheskitty']Ahh, I had baselessly assumed that the DRM description field was sufficiently structured to simply match against it. It sounds like you're having to match against all possible forms of DRM.[/QUOTE]

What's worse is that it looks like some of the pages on Steam use different text encoding, meaning sometimes no matter what I do, javascript cannot detect it. An example of this is Resident Evil's use of GFWL.

[quote name='Motoki']
fWfMc.png
[/QUOTE]
LOL I was actually gonna post that when the question was asked, but I thought maybe this thread had enough red in it :lol:

[quote name='jshackles']I'll just leave this here:

d8CX3.png

Seriously... wtf?[/QUOTE]

Seriously, that's ALL TRUE.
Consider also Steam DRM (if you access game directly while within Steam) and you got 4 DRM layers. ;)

Since everyone else is doing it, I might as well post my final haul. :)

Amazon
Metro 2033
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine
Stalker: SoC
Homefront
Red Faction: Armageddon
FEAR: Ultimate Shooter Pack
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Duke Nukem Forever
Saints Row: The Third - TFP
Hotline Miami
Max Payne 3
The Walking Dead

Humble Bundle 7 BTA

GMG
Borderlands 2 Season Pass

GamersGate
Borderlands 2
Borderlands 2 4-Pack
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Steam
Borderlands GOTY
Psychonauts
Garry's Mod
Counter-Strike: Source
Killing Floor
Portal
Portal 2
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
GTA
GTA 2
GTA III
GTA: Vice City
GTA: San Andreas
GTA: IV
GTA: Episodes From Liberty City
Hitman: Codename 47
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Blood Money
Payday: The Heist
Painkiller: Black Edition
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2
Tomb Raider 3
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Tomb Raider: Chronicles
Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness
Tomb Raider: Legend
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Gifted to me
DOTA 2

Gave away
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Metro 2033
BioShock 1
BioShock 2
Borderlands GOTY

All in all, my first Steam sale went great. I'm still surprised the Fallout games didn't go for a higher discount though.

Anno 2070 just makes me sad panda. I love the genre and the game looks right up my alley but I just can't bring myself to support that outrageous DRM.

If GetGamesGo ever run it at $7.50 again though I might just deal with not having it on Steam and the shitty Tages and see if Flow or someone in the UK can grab it for me. That is if it's not region locked. I wouldn't put it past them to do that either.

As someone else previously said that game is locked down tighter than a nun's crotch, meanwhile the pirates have all the keys.

[quote name='sunghost']I like to pretend the game doesn't exist, because of the included horrible TAGES DRM. Can't recommend buying it unless it's $5 or less.[/QUOTE]

What's so terrible about it?

[quote name='Bitt3r']It has a 3 machine activation limit.[/QUOTE]

I thought that the first machine didn't count, so technically it would be 4 machines.

[quote name='Genocidal']That doesn't make it not terrible.[/QUOTE]

Well from what I've read:

"Once you reach 0 activations, in 30 days you automatically get 1 more, each month until you reach 4 again."

That sounds pretty fair to me.

[quote name='bloodling']Well from what I've read:

"Once you reach 0 activations, in 30 days you automatically get 1 more, each month until you reach 4 again."

That sounds pretty fair to me.[/QUOTE]
youre forgetting that we all have 4 machines that we install our games on plus we have to do it each month :roll:

[quote name='rhinobucket']steam SUCKS
if this is the way games are going count me out
what a big hassle[/QUOTE]
Good contribution, I look forward to future posts from you.
[quote name='bloodling']Well from what I've read:

That sounds pretty fair to me.[/QUOTE]
Do you have a source for this, because this is the first I've heard of it. Edit: Nevermind, I misread on first glance. Still terrible.

Better yet, I see there's a thread on the SPUF where Motoki posts about TAGES possibly being removed with a Christmas update. I've got the game installed now, redeemed on December 30th so if this is true I shouldn't have TAGES on mine. Where can I check to see if this is true?

[quote name='Genocidal']
Do you have a source for this, because this is the first I've heard of it.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think that I can add links to my posts yet but if you type Anno 2070 TAGES DRM FAQ in Google you should find it easily.

Best as I can tell TAGES is indeed gone from Anno 2070. No files with the word TAGES in their name in the install directory, and the two drivers that should be in the windows\system32\drivers\ directory (according to a post about Risen) are nowhere to be found.

[quote name='Genocidal']

Edit: Nevermind, I misread on first glance. Still terrible.[/QUOTE]

Terrible is a strong word. I still don't understand what's so terrible about it.

Let's see here...
[quote name='rhinobucket']steam SUCKS[/QUOTE]
Well, putting the verb in all caps certainly makes your point rock solid and, as if by some magical force, also provides a staggering amount of constructive criticism. Touche, sir.
[quote name='rhinobucket']
if this is the way games are going count me out[/QUOTE]
My good sir, what way are you talking about? The way of significantly lower prices than console games? Or perhaps you refer to one-step installation? Or possibly you mean the convenient ability to own a large library of games without cluttering your physical space?
[quote name='rhinobucket']what a big hassle[/QUOTE]
True. Shopping in your pajamas and having your games (which you saved significant money on) downloaded while you have brunch is certainly a greater hassle than showering, getting dressed, buying gas, driving to the store, dealing with obnoxious minimum-wage workers, and paying full-price for a game.

OK Enhanced Steam has now been updated to v1.3

changelog v1.3
-----
+ Reduced the amount of caching and the number of HTTP GET requests overall
: Fixed a bug where Steam Wallet purchases were miscalculating total spent
+ Added DRM warning to some product pages

Hopefully you guys can crowdsource the DRM thing a little bit for me. If you are using the extension and find a game on Steam that HAS a 3rd party DRM scheme, mentions it ANYWHERE on the page, but doesn't come up with a red bar, let me know. :D

[quote name='Necrotron']Aw, I almost got excited and went to buy Anno 2070, but it looks like it still uses Tages.[/QUOTE]

Steam store pages are notoriously inaccurate wrt DRM situations. If it was recently removed, I doubt anyone from Ubisoft thought to contact Valve about it to have them change the page. Still need confirmation, but from my end it looks like there is no Tages, just the uPlay requirement.

[quote name='jshackles']OK Enhanced Steam has now been updated to v1.3

Hopefully you guys can crowdsource the DRM thing a little bit for me. If you are using the extension and find a game on Steam that HAS a 3rd party DRM scheme, mentions it ANYWHERE on the page, but doesn't come up with a red bar, let me know. :D[/QUOTE]

Awesome. If you want to consider requiring an EA Account as added DRM, then there's at least The Sims missing: http://store.steampowered.com/app/47890/

I don't know why I never played Recettear but it's fucking awesome.

It's basically Japanese Pawn Stars, except you own the shop and you get to go out to dungeons and kill shit for loot to sell in your shop.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']
...Shopping in your pajamas...[/QUOTE]

Already too much work. I'm not putting on clothes just to buy games. Steam sucks.

[quote name='Motoki']Personally, I would call TW2 an action game with RPG elements because for me (admittedly I'm not a huge fan of involved real time action combat; I'm weird) there was a lot of emphasis on your moves and timing and what you used with what enemy etc etc much more so than something like Skyrim where you can just go through the combat easily enough but spamming a slash button. I realize that's splitting hairs though and that pretty much all modern (non-indie) RPGs are really just wordy action games anyway.

I can see where there are elements of TW2 that are interactive movie-ish, there's a lot of dialog scenes where you choose various options, but the game as a whole in its entirely is not an interactive movie. More of an action game with a lot of interactive movie interludes plus a lot of fussing with items and skills in an busy, ugly obnoxious (to me) UI. :p

I also didn't love that if you take too long reading sometimes it will force an option for you. There were definitely times I was like 'Excuse me? I was still reading and deciding and I would not have picked that option'.

I guess I am in the same camp of Rerujnoc that I enjoyed the first game better. There were some annoyances like a lot of running around at times, and the combat was rather different and could be a bit hard to get used to at first, but overall I thought it had more character and flavor (and a great UI), was more of an RPG (to me) and I just found it personally to be a great experience.

I really wanted to love TW2 so much so that I even bought the expensive collector's edition with the crazy plaster head and everything. It's visually gorgeous in a way that RPG(ish) games don't usually see (without a ton of mods anyhow) but it's just kind of bleh for me.

And I do know the lore pretty well too. It's not that complicated at its core. It's basically non humans tread badly by humans and fight back hard (insurgency/terrorism), grey area are they bad or good or both you decide etc etc.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree. The "game picks option for you" is probably something CD Projekt copped from BioWare. As I said earlier, I actually did prefer the combat from the first game; it was a unique system. (Also the intro movie for The Witcher--best intro movie ever!)

I can see where folks are coming from regarding getting lost in the lore. TW2 in particular throws a lot of faction and place names at you in the prologue and CD Projekt kind-of expects you to know who/what/where these things and people are. If you don't, you're just nodding along with the narration.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I don't know why I never played Recettear but it's fucking awesome.

It's basically Japanese Pawn Stars, except you own the shop and you get to go out to dungeons and kill shit for loot to sell in your shop.[/QUOTE]
LOL
I love pawn stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back