The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bloodling']Well from what I've read:

"Once you reach 0 activations, in 30 days you automatically get 1 more, each month until you reach 4 again."

That sounds pretty fair to me.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to start the whole drm back and forth again because tired argument is tired.

For me personally though it's much too much. Steam already verifies that you own the game without limits. Anno 2070 also requires Uplay which also verifies you own the game without limits (as well as only giving you access to certain items if you are online but that's another issue). To add another layer of drm on top of that and one with extra limits and potential hoops to jump through to me is ridiculous and I refuse to support it, at least at this price point.

[quote name='Genocidal']
Better yet, I see there's a thread on the SPUF where Motoki posts about TAGES possibly being removed with a Christmas update. I've got the game installed now, redeemed on December 30th so if this is true I shouldn't have TAGES on mine. Where can I check to see if this is true?[/QUOTE]

No it was a false alarm due to some misinformed person talking out of his ass. The Tages is still there. I need to edit that post.

[quote name='ccie3554']Just made a SteamGifts giveaway for Bioshock & you guys are invited.
http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/SKqiM/

Only running it through tomorrow & is invite only, so hit it up. Good luck & enjoy!

Pr0f1t on Steam.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='oman19']Sweet Thx for offering it. How do I get an invite?[/QUOTE]

Just click the link.

Btw Thanks for the Contest

[quote name='Motoki']No it was a false alarm due to some misinformed person talking out of his ass. The Tages is still there. I need to edit that post.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? As I mentioned, neither of the Tages drivers are in my system32 directory and I'm seeing no references to it in my install directory; uPlay folder looks clean as well. Don't know where else to look for it but I've come up with nothing.

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (CTHCC) - Translation Westernization FAQ

Excerpts:
We made a deliberate decision to follow the approach of what is widely perceived as the ‘best in class’ game localizations: the Phoenix Wright / Ace Attorney series.

The Ace Attorney series titles are ‘Westernized’ rather than straight translated. So, just as Ace Attorney Westernized character names and transplanted the game from ‘city somewhere in Japan’ to Los Angeles, CTHCC character names were Westernized and the setting changed from ‘town somewhere in Japan’ to ‘town somewhere in the USA’.

By far, the biggest changes were 1) the overall setting and, for consistency’s sake, the character names, food names, etc. and 2) the humor only where the Japanese humor would have been awkward or simply not worked well in English.

In areas where the Japanese humor did not work, we replaced it with humor that stayed close to the tone or sense of the original Japanese. In some cases, Western popular culture references were used, such as Star Wars, Batman, Monty Python, net memes (not many!), etc., but not to the point of becoming obnoxious or indulgent.

This drives me kinda nuts; it's neither fish nor fowl.

[quote name='Genocidal']Are you sure? As I mentioned, neither of the Tages drivers are in my system32 directory and I'm seeing no references to it in my install directory; uPlay folder looks clean as well. Don't know where else to look for it but I've come up with nothing.[/QUOTE]

It's embedded into the exe. If you uninstall and reinstall it or try to install it on another pc should ask you for a key & generate a hash tag based on your current hardware configuration and have a link to solidshield.com (Tages) to do the activation.

[quote name='Motoki']
For me personally though it's much too much. Steam already verifies that you own the game without limits. Anno 2070 also requires Uplay which also verifies you own the game without limits (as well as only giving you access to certain items if you are online but that's another issue). To add another layer of drm on top of that and one with extra limits and potential hoops to jump through to me is ridiculous and I refuse to support it, at least at this price point.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, I think that when a game uses Steam DRM, it shouldn't use additional DRM. That said, I think that the vast majority of gamers will never exceed those activation limits.

[quote name='bloodling']I agree with you, I think that when a game uses Steam DRM, it shouldn't use additional DRM. That said, I think that the vast majority of gamers will never exceed those activation limits.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of it is just laziness of the developers/publishers. Rather than replacing the DRM with Steam DRM, they just add it on top of what they had already. Of course, in the case of things like GFWL and Uplay, that's obviously intentional since they want you using their community features.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Anyone want to explain in small words how I could go about taking screenshots of games that don't work with F12 and somehow uploading them to Steam?

It's probably more work than I want. :p[/QUOTE]

I just stumbled across this interested bit, posted by Nyu Media in the CTHCC steam community forums:

How to Take Screenshots (Also works on other non-Steam overlay friendly games)
Unfortunately, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club and the Steam overlay don't get along so well, so it's not possible to take screenshots with the overlay as usual. Fortunately there is a workaround (emphasis on the word 'work') that you can use.

Here goes:

a) Identify the AppID of the game. CTHCC AppID is 214610.
b) Take all the screens you need. (PrintScr, use Camtasia, etc. FRAPS is not supported by RPG Maker XP games. For best results, press Alt+Enter to go Full Screen so you don't have to edit anything and obtain clean 640x480 screens.)
c) Close Steam.
d) Create the 214610 folder in the following file path: Program Files\Steam\userdata\X(number may vary)\760\remote
e) Create a "screenshots" folder inside 214610. Inside screenshots create a folder called "thumbnails".
f) Each screenshot is named with the date and a number. Structure is year-month-date: 2012-XX-XX_00001.jpg.
g) Create the thumbnails for your screens! Thumbnails resolution size is 200x150. Screenshots need a thumbnail. They retain the same file name as the full size screenshot.
h) Open Steam again. Let is synchronise and scan your files. Open your screenshots folder. Voilá! The newly taken screenshots will be there, ready to be uploaded to the cloud so you can carry them everywhere!

Hoping to see plenty of contributions! This knowledge will be very useful if other games fail to take screens or have problems too.

[quote name='Guimengo']I didn't buy a single thing and don't regret it.[/QUOTE]

Oh sh*t, no, I made a mistake. I purchased Limbo for $2.49 when it first came up on sale. I still regret getting Trials HD and Batman Arkham City in the summer event.

[quote name='Guimengo']Oh sh*t, no, I made a mistake. I purchased Limbo for $2.49 when it first came up on sale. I still regret getting Trials HD and Batman Arkham City in the summer event.[/QUOTE]

Trials HD isn't on PC?

[quote name='Tsel']Trials HD isn't on PC?[/QUOTE]

Trials II, whatever it was. I paid $2.49 too much for it, never thought it'd be possible to get buyer's remorse on such low price.

[quote name='Guimengo']I didn't buy a single thing and don't regret it.[/QUOTE]

Me also, very disappointed. I actually set aside $150 to buy stuff because I didn't have the money during the Summer Sale.

I would have gotten the Gianna Sisters game but I missed that sale.

re: translations

I am probably in the minority but I like when translations take some liberties to make the end result possibly more relevant or interesting to the new audience. Of course it's a fine line but when done right I think it works out really well.

As I pointed out a few pages back probably the most memorable line of Reccetear and definitely the most quoted one, "Capitalism Ho!" was not in the Japanese original and in fact was an example of taking said liberties to westernize the translation.

For me its not about is something a perfect word for word Japanese or whatever language translation but is it a good enjoyable game/movie/experience.

tumblr_m6k37s2PaA1r96br0o1_500.png

[quote name='Guimengo']Oh sh*t, no, I made a mistake. I purchased Limbo for $2.49 when it first came up on sale. I still regret getting Trials HD and Batman Arkham City in the summer event.[/QUOTE]

I hated Trials 2 the first time I played it. It's tough as hell. Once I read up on it a bit and gave it another go I really got into it; so much so that I hope Trials HD makes its way to PC some day.

[quote name='kaydigi']Me also, very disappointed. I actually set aside $150 to buy stuff because I didn't have the money during the Summer Sale.

I would have gotten the Gianna Sisters game but I missed that sale.[/QUOTE]

I'm about 5 levels into Gianna Sisters right now. Excellent production values (sights, sounds, feel). Switching back and forth between dreams is done beautifully and it's yielding some interesting challenges.

[quote name='Motoki']re: translations

I am probably in the minority but I like when translations take some liberties to make the end result possibly more relevant or interesting to the new audience. Of course it's a fine line but when done right I think it works out really well.

As I pointed out a few pages back probably the most memorable line of Reccetear and definitely the most quoted one, "Capitalism Ho!" was not in the Japanese original and in fact was an example of taking said liberties to westernize the translation.

For me its not about is something a perfect word for word Japanese or whatever language translation but is it a good enjoyable game/movie/experience.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, although I can appreciate something like Persona where all the honorifics are kept in. To me it doesn't really matter if I get the "authentic" translation

STILL on the fence about Chivalry. If ever there was in need of a demo... or I could just save my $12 for some wet palette paper for painting.

Choices.

If I purchase the THQ bundle, what can I do about the games I already own? Like, how do I trade them or gift them? Are there codes I can generate like other sites have? Do I have to "friend" someone to trade (my friends list is at 0)? If there's a FAQ on this throw me a link. Otherwise any info is appreciated. Cheers^^

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Nothing. Steam doesn't do anything for you there. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Well, that kinda sucks. Oh well. Still a great deal. Thanks.

I agree. But Steam warns you a couple of times before you click buy. It's a bummer and probably one of the reasons I don't ever buy those packs from publishers because inevitably I own a handful of the games.

I'm having massive framerate drops in Hotline Miami. The game will run smooth as butter and then every 30 seconds or so, the FPS drops for about 5 seconds at a time, and it does this for as long as I'm playing.

[quote name='Tsel']I'm having massive framerate drops in Hotline Miami. The game will run smooth as butter and then every 30 seconds or so, the FPS drops for about 5 seconds at a time, and it does this for as long as I'm playing.[/QUOTE]

What GPU are you using? It has some driver issues with AMD (have to rollback drivers to 12.6 or before to fix), but I've never heard of framerate drops.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Lackluster haul this time.

STEAM:
* Witcher 2 - $7.50
* Alan Wake Franchise - $10

GMG:
* Spec Ops: The Line - $5.25

TOTAL: $22.75[/QUOTE]

that seems like a pretty fantastic haul to me.
three of the best story-based games ever.

[quote name='Genocidal']
Awesome. If you want to consider requiring an EA Account as added DRM, then there's at least The Sims missing: http://store.steampowered.com/app/47890/[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I want to include the "red banner" for games that only have their online services hindered by use of a 3rd party service, such as EA and a few others. Maybe I'm just too used to it, but it seems like the norm these days that you need to create an account with some other place to be able to play most (non-Valve) games online.

I could be in the minority though. Maybe just a blue banner?

EDIT:

Although Command and Conquer 4 and Darkspore's always-online DRM seems red-banner worthy.

[quote name='TheKbob']STILL on the fence about Chivalry. If ever there was in need of a demo... or I could just save my $12 for some wet palette paper for painting.

Choices.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about buying the 4pack because of a few friends that also want the game. Would you interested in buying one of my copies for cheaper? We can become friends and I'll send one over as a gift.

Chuc dau nam moi vui ve hanh phuc.
Hay lam viec that hung khoi va hieu qua nhe các ban.
Cung chung tay xay dung dien dan bang nhung bai viet tot hon, sach vÃ$ phong phu hon.

[quote name='jshackles']I'm not sure if I want to include the "red banner" for games that only have their online services hindered by use of a 3rd party service, such as EA and a few others. Maybe I'm just too used to it, but it seems like the norm these days that you need to create an account with some other place to be able to play most (non-Valve) games online.

I could be in the minority though. Maybe just a blue banner?

EDIT:

Although Command and Conquer 4 and Darkspore's always-online DRM seems red-banner worthy.[/QUOTE]

To me unless it's always online then just requiring an account isn't that big of a deal. Eh.

*Edit: Though UPlay's 'you only get certain items if you are playing in online mode' in some games is kind of crappy to me.

Also, IIRC Sims doesn't force you to make an account on sims3.com. I think it's optional.

I guess blue or yellow or orange or something might work. *shrug*

Oh and Of Orcs and Men and The Testament of Sherlock Holmes are two recent games with 3rd party DRM that don't list it on the page at all.

Pretty much the bulk of Focus Home Interactive titles that are remotely recent have some 3rd party DRM I think.

[quote name='tham1988']that seems like a pretty fantastic haul to me.
three of the best story-based games ever.[/QUOTE]

They're good...

But let's not get carried away.

When it comes to how to translate/localize a game, I figure it all depends on the original game.

If the game makes reference to Japanese celebrities, specific parts or outlying areas of Tokyo, the confusion drawn from different real regional dialects, names that are puns, references to outdated things that are meant to show that someone is out of touch, or characterizations of subsets of society that simply don't exist outside of Japan.... that's a game that needs a localization.

The Ace Attorney series needs this because everyone's name in Gyakuten Saiban is a pun that the player is meant to be able to understand, and certain elements like which side of the car is the driver's side or with what kind of utensil one would commonly eat a specific food have to be known to the player for the logic puzzles to work properly. For all the dry humor in the originals, it's amazing they managed to make it work. (All the discussions about what is and is not a stepladder, anyone?)

For other games that take place in fantasy or sci fi settings with their own invented cultures, those games should be translated rather than localized, when possible. Changing Loto to Erdrick or Peach to Toadstool on a whim just causes confusion later when the game becomes a series and future translators have to decide which blueprint to follow.

As far as Cherry High Comedy Club goes... if it made reference in the original to Japanese celebrities and pop stars in a way that you were supposed to know to whom was being referred, localization seems the right choice.

[quote name='MysterD']I normally refer to Two Worlds II as 2W2;
and refer to The Witcher 2 as TW2.[/QUOTE]
TWII / TW2 makes more sense to me.

[quote name='Motoki']Maybe we need to create a database of the 'early unlock' dlc in Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3, Magic etc and then it could be color coded say red or something in Enhanced Steam. ;)[/QUOTE]
It'd be nice to have a database of this kind of thing regardless of whether it's used in that way or not.

[quote name='Motoki']
Oh and Of Orcs and Men and The Testament of Sherlock Holmes are two recent games with 3rd party DRM that don't list it on the page at all.
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do in those few cases, as the product pages mention this NOWHERE.

I've never felt so disappointed in buying games on sale. I picked up Arma cause I kind of want to try dayz and arkham city goty cause whenever I get around to playing it I'm sure I'll want to play the harley Quinn dlc, but I feel like they were empty purchases.

[quote name='Motoki']The Testament of Sherlock Holmes are two recent games with 3rd party DRM that don't list it on the page at all.

Pretty much the bulk of Focus Home Interactive titles that are remotely recent have some 3rd party DRM I think.[/QUOTE]

Hm. Which DRM is this?

[quote name='jshackles']Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do in those few cases, as the product pages mention this NOWHERE.[/QUOTE]

*sighs*

I suppose citing direct sources from the developers confirming it wouldn't help either.

I really wish Valve was more vigilant in this area.

[quote name='warreni']Hm. Which DRM is this?[/QUOTE]

Olga from Frogwares (the developer) first said this over at Adventure Gamers

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/781/#9891
* No PC disk in North America, this is correct. While there will be PC disks in Europe.
* We are using Internet activation for copy protection. You will be able to use the same key up to 3 times. If you need more, email support (at) frogwares.com

Then she corrected it to this:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/781/P15/#9951
Hey guys, regarding game activation - I was not correct here. Sorry for misinforming you!

You will be able to install the game on 3 PCs simultaneously; while you have unlimited number of activations.

And of course our support (at) frogwares.com guys will be happy to help and advice! :whistle2: )

When she corrected herself she tried to make it sound not so bad but that's normally how that sort of archaic disc based DRM works anyway. It makes a unique hash tag based on your current hardware config and then that uses an activation. As long as you don't change anything or install it on another PC then reinstalling on the same PC shouldn't use up another activation. It's unclear, however, if small changes may cause it to detect your PC as a 'new PC' or if you can get take back some of those activations if say over time you upgrade a few times or whatever.

[quote name='Detruire']TWII / TW2 makes more sense to me.
[/QUOTE]

I keep thinking that The Witcher 2 should be tW2 rather than TW2. Most of the time, I don't even remember that "The" is in the title, so I'm looking at that capital T thinking it should be a stronger word.

[quote name='Motoki']*sighs*

I suppose citing direct sources from the developers confirming it wouldn't help either.

I really wish Valve was more vigilant in this area.[/QUOTE]

You would think they would be, considering it probably nets them more than a few support calls / help tickets.

The only other way to mark it as such would be to either compile a self contained file that gets distributed with the plugin, or have it access an external site. Either way, it would require both maintenance and upkeep. It really would be so much easier if Valve just listed it on the page like they should.

[quote name='Motoki']*sighs*

I really wish Valve was more vigilant in this area.[/QUOTE]

Valve needs a reason to crack down on publishers who aren't up-front with their DRM. If more people demanded refunds for games that had hidden DRM, that might prompt Valve to get on their cases and impose penalties when the listings fail to reference them.

Unfortunately, that's the ONLY way I see it happening.

About an hour in to Deponia. So far so good. The voicework is decent and the dialogue gives me some chuckles. The artwork is nice as well. Good game to kick back a few and relax

Edit: this Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat must be strong, I'm feeling nice.

Edit2: ugh, now I'm stuck. I love and hate adventure games all at the same time.

[quote name='DPsycho']Valve needs a reason to crack down on publishers who aren't up-front with their DRM. If more people demanded refunds for games that had hidden DRM, that might prompt Valve to get on their cases and impose penalties when the listings fail to reference them.

Unfortunately, that's the ONLY way I see it happening.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but getting a reaction out of Valve or getting them to change the info on their page usually requires a huge gianormous shitstorm and not just a few people complaining.

i.e the whole WarZ fiasco or even the mass amount of people who raged that they weren't warned that the keyboard and mouse controls on Dark Souls were clunky so Valve put up a disclaimer.

Obligatory haul post. If looking at this list has taught me anything, it's that my taste in games as well as what I'm willing to pay for them is incredibly random. And that I need to stop buying them. (This is all on top of about $30 during the fall sale and another $30 between the two sales...god help me.)

Steam
Ys Origin $4.99
Double Fine Bundle $9.99
Hero Academy Gold $4.24
Critter Crunch $1.74
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome $2.49
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack $1.99
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken $2.49 (gifted)

Already had Psychonauts from the DF bundle, but for the other 3 games it was still the best deal.

GMG
Sine Mora $2.00

GamersGate
Bethesda New Year Collection $28.76
Hotline Miami $0.00 (free w/ Blue Coins)

Amazon (w/ tax)
Scribblenauts Unlimited $8.14
Spec Ops: The Line $2.70
Saint's Row 2 $2.70

Other / Trades / Gifts
Wanderlust Rebirth (gift)
Demigod (thanks Motoki)
Shoot Many Robots!
DoTA 2
Alpha Prime $0.99 (GalaStore)
Waveform $0.99 (GalaStore)

At least I'm actually trying to play some of 'em...I've got 30 hours on Saints Row 2 already. (Protip: The autosave cannot be trusted. SAVE OFTEN.)

Anybody know if on the Saints Row The Third Complete Edition has seperate keys? I have the base version from THQ Humble bundle and am looking to get the extras but wouldn't mind trading off the extra base copy if possible...

I just want to go on record as saying the best abbreviation for The Witcher 2 is Witcher 2. TW2 is definitely too confusable with Two Worlds 2.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Anybody know if on the Saints Row The Third Complete Edition has seperate keys? I have the base version from THQ Humble bundle and am looking to get the extras but wouldn't mind trading off the extra base copy if possible...[/QUOTE]

Like most packs on Steam, they are a single bundle. If you have extras, they go to the void.

[quote name='eastx']I just want to go on record as saying the best abbreviation for The Witcher 2 is Witcher 2. TW2 is definitely too confusable with Two Worlds 2.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough - Witcher 2 isn't too much to type out (unless you're using a smartphone and you've got gigantic fingers and keep hitting the wrong keys)...

Also can't believe steamcalculator is down - I NEED to know if my account value has decreased or not /sarcasm

And as for Valve and DRM, the simple solution is wait for a big name game to be released on Steam with crappy DRM, and then get the pitchforks out and march to Valve HQ! Or just put a thread on reddit, that demands Steam to point out whether a game uses 3rd party DRM or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back