The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Malibuz0r']Few questions guys.

1. If you ever played LOTR: War in the north.. How would you rate it?
2. Anyone know if Gamestop has it for the cheapest right now? 10$.
3. Is it worth every dollar?[/QUOTE]

1. 7/10 - surprisingly enjoyable!
2. No, see below.
3. I would buy it again.

[quote name='jshackles']I got my copy on Green Man Gaming for $4 on 8/17/2012, so it's certainly been cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Same.

[quote name='dfg']^^ I've heard LOTR:WitN can be a hassle to get working in co-op. Might be thinking of another title.
[/QUOTE]

I played it co-op a bit too and had no problems with it whatsoever. I made no adjustments to anything... it worked flawlessly. Such is luck with computing though, right? I've seen others here and there saying they had issues.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'm not bitter towards them. I just see no point in talking down to other gamers or CAGs for that matter. It's not like the way I go about wasting my time can in some way be inferior to the way you go about wasting yours, so why talk shit about it? If I was in here throwing homophobic slurs and railing against women, sure, but because I'm indecisive about my backlog and use a spreadsheet? That's ridiculous.

It's not the hobby that stresses me out. It's that every time somebody talks about how great a game is (Spec Ops, Far Cry 3), I immediately want to be playing that game. So I've always got this impulse to play everything at once, and as a result, I frequently wind up playing nothing.

I think I'm going to give Trav's method a try, that actually sounds like a good way for me to go about satisfying all of my cravings at once.[/QUOTE]

What? There were arguments that I was not involved in? I was told this simply was not possible. This won't do at all! Next time make sure you clear your arguments with me first! :cool:

In all seriousness, it's the internet so everybody's got to have a say (if i had a nickel for every time someone proceeds to lecture me on why I don't need to have a game on Steam...) , but to hell with them and do what you want with you game collection the way you want. Personally I hate spreadsheets, they remind me of work and I would never want to spend my leisure time on them BUT if that works for you then go for it. Whatever works. If it's getting your games played instead if sitting there then it really doesn't matter what opinionated Joe Internet thinks.

You know, someone should actually make a game about making and using a spreadsheet to manage your games collection. It could be like that Call Center game, something that simulates things in real life that suck and are a pain in the ass, err, I mean that are wonderful and beautiful. Hooray Spread Tycoon! :lol:

[quote name='Motoki']
You know, someone should actually make a game about making and using a spreadsheet to manage your games collection. It could be like that Call Center game, something that simulates things in real life that suck and are a pain in the ass, err, I mean that are wonderful and beautiful. Hooray Spread Tycoon! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Get the guy who did the Code Hero Kickstarter to do a Spreadsheet Hero. What could go wrong?

[quote name='Motoki']I kind of want I Get This Call Every Day to get greenlit, even though I've worked in crappy call centers to the point of having PTSD and don't think I could ever play it.[/QUOTE]
Oh, Motoki, you always find the most amusing titles.

Sadly, I've had the misfortune of working in a call center for a few months. I'm quite sure I don't need to elaborate any further, but I will say that "I Get This Call Every Day" sounds like an amusing diversion.

[quote name='pantsattack']POST YOUR SPREADSHEETS!

Anybody have one with cost/average formulas built in?[/QUOTE]
Oh dear.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'm not bitter towards them. I just see no point in talking down to other gamers or CAGs for that matter. It's not like the way I go about wasting my time can in some way be inferior to the way you go about wasting yours, so why talk shit about it? If I was in here throwing homophobic slurs and railing against women, sure, but because I'm indecisive about my backlog and use a spreadsheet? That's ridiculous.

It's not the hobby that stresses me out. It's that every time somebody talks about how great a game is (Spec Ops, Far Cry 3), I immediately want to be playing that game. So I've always got this impulse to play everything at once, and as a result, I frequently wind up playing nothing.

I think I'm going to give Trav's method a try, that actually sounds like a good way for me to go about satisfying all of my cravings at once.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of people being bitter about how they organize their backlog (that's what I get for skipping a page or two in the thread), but I just wanted to chime in on the spreadsheet love :) I have mine organized by date, game, purchase price, playtime, backlog rating (how badly I want to play it), game rating (once I've beaten it), date beaten, and I'm currently working on getting metacritic ratings up for games I haven't played yet. I also have some formulae to track how much money I'm spending, which games have the best "rating per dollar" and "playtime per dollar", etc. I'm sure most people wouldn't care about any of these things, but for some reason I derive a sick kind of enjoyment of tracking all this, and when I've beaten a game, it's helpful to sort my backlog by "backlog rating" to remember which games in a genre I was once excited to try out (but had perhaps forgotten by that point).

Now that I'm married and generally spend only 5-10 hours a week playing games, I have to be more discerning of my time than my money when it comes to games. I like Trav's "strategy", though what I tend to do is have one game that will probably take 20-50 hours to complete (which would take me several months at best) and a couple shorter or indie games on the side (which is how I've beaten FTL, Mark of the Ninja, etc recently).

Does anyone else have the problem where they aren't enjoying a game as much as expected, but having already invested several hours into it, find themselves having difficulty "giving up" on said game? Maybe it's just my personality, but I find myself hunkering down to finish a game even when it's obvious I'm not having much fun with it, solely so I can finish the game. This is where I currently find myself with Darksiders 2, having spent a dozen hours on it before December, but I put it on hold to play a bunch of other games (FTL, Dishonored, XCOM, Mark of the Ninja), and now I'm dreading going back to it haha.... First world problems.

So at work today, a co-worker came by and asked if I wanted any of their (boxed) PC games for free so I took the lot of them. In the mix were three (opened) copies of Supreme Commander. I have no way of checking to see if the keys are still valid, as it redeems on Steam.

If anyone is interested in a key, PM me. It's possible they've already been used, but you're welcome to the keys and welcome to try if you'd like.

EDIT: Gone! If you got one to work let us know!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jshackles']So at work today, a co-worker came by and asked if I wanted any of their (boxed) PC games for free so I took the lot of them. In the mix were three (opened) copies of Supreme Commander. I have no way of checking to see if the keys are still valid, as it redeems on Steam.

If anyone is interested in a key, PM me. It's possible they've already been used, but you're welcome to the keys and welcome to try if you'd like.[/QUOTE]

Boxed? What is this like 1996 or Germany?

Curious though, what else did you get? Anything interesting? Trainwreck worthy?

[quote name='Motoki']Boxed? What is this like 1996 or Germany?

Curious though, what else did you get? Anything interesting? Trainwreck worthy?[/QUOTE]

A lot of THQ stuff, multiple copies of each game. Some of it sealed. Nothing cringe worthy, just Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, etc etc. Mostly AAA stuff but all of it I already own on Steam. :lol:

[quote name='jshackles']A lot of THQ stuff, multiple copies of each game. Some of it sealed. Nothing cringe worthy, just Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, etc etc. Mostly AAA stuff but all of it I already own on Steam. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Space Marine?
Soulstorm?

[quote name='jshackles']A lot of THQ stuff, multiple copies of each game. Some of it sealed. Nothing cringe worthy, just Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, etc etc. Mostly AAA stuff but all of it I already own on Steam. :lol:[/QUOTE]
skyram?

[quote name='MysterD']Space Marine?
Soulstorm?[/QUOTE]

Nope but a few copies of Frontlines: Fuel of War (wish it activated on Steam) and about 5 copies of Call of Duty: World at War also

[quote name='Idiotekque']skyram?[/QUOTE]

I wish! Looks like this collection is mostly from about 2006-2008.

[quote name='jshackles']Nope but a few copies of Frontlines: Fuel of War (wish it activated on Steam) and about 5 copies of Call of Duty: World at War also

I wish! Looks like this collection is mostly from about 2006-2008.[/QUOTE]
Did this person buy multiple copies for LAN parties/Multiplayer or are they just a hoarder like many CAG's? :lol:

[quote name='jshackles']So at work today, a co-worker came by and asked if I wanted any of their (boxed) PC games for free so I took the lot of them. In the mix were three (opened) copies of Supreme Commander. I have no way of checking to see if the keys are still valid, as it redeems on Steam.

If anyone is interested in a key, PM me. It's possible they've already been used, but you're welcome to the keys and welcome to try if you'd like.

EDIT: Gone! If you got one to work let us know![/QUOTE]Mine worked! Thank you very much, good sir! :bouncy:

[quote name='jshackles']Nope but a few copies of Frontlines: Fuel of War (wish it activated on Steam) and about 5 copies of Call of Duty: World at War also
[/QUOTE]
World At War is NOT-Steam, right?
Any Black Ops 1?

[quote name='MysterD']World At War is NOT-Steam, right?
Any Black Ops 1?[/QUOTE]
Doh, yeah they probably aren't Steam.

And I just PMed him, lmao.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Doh, yeah they probably aren't Steam.

And I just PMed him, lmao.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think Black Ops 1 was first Treyarch COD game that was Steam-required.

Homefront?
You Don't Know Jack?

Sorry guys, I double and triple checked but the Supreme Commander games were the only Steam CD keys besides Darksiders which I gave to a buddy of mine.

[quote name='randomdud']Did this person buy multiple copies for LAN parties/Multiplayer or are they just a hoarder like many CAG's? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Actually, a lady in payroll's husband used to run a performance PC parts manufacturing company (I think they made water cooling systems or something?) that went out of business recently. They worked a lot with gaming companies and professional gaming circuits and I guess he had a lot of stuff left over. :)

Thanks jshackles, I've already PM'ed you. My code of Supreme Commander worked and it even included the Forged Alliance Expansion. Thanks for the birthday present! :D

[quote name='jshackles']Sorry guys, I double and triple checked but the Supreme Commander games were the only Steam CD keys besides Darksiders which I gave to a buddy of mine.

Actually, a lady in payroll's husband used to run a performance PC parts manufacturing company (I think they made water cooling systems or something?) that went out of business recently. They worked a lot with gaming companies and professional gaming circuits and I guess he had a lot of stuff left over. :)[/QUOTE]
Was it Danger Den?

[quote name='Motoki']But no hats! The horror![/QUOTE]

[quote name='2wicked']A sonic or tails scull cap for my pyro would have been awesome...damn you Gabe!![/QUOTE]

Not every time, but a lot of the time they'll add the preorder bonuses closer to launch, so there's still hope.

[quote name='Genocidal']Not every time, but a lot of the time they'll add the preorder bonuses closer to launch, so there's still hope.[/QUOTE]
Might do a pre-order from gmg, so probably forfeit my chance at a hat or a twin tailed fox skin demo belt.

[quote name='jshackles']Yeah! (kind of surprising someone knows about them!)[/QUOTE]
Danger Den is a well known brand in watercooling, pc mods and pc cases.
It's sad to see them go away hope that guy found another job.

[quote name='2wicked']
Danger Den is a well known brand in watercooling, pc mods and pc cases.
It's sad to see them go away hope that guy found another job.[/QUOTE]

Wow small world then! Like I said, I work with his wife so if anyone is interested I can keep you guys posted. :cool:

[quote name='jshackles']Wow small world then! Like I said, I work with his wife so if anyone is interested I can keep you guys posted. :cool:[/QUOTE]
My rigs are still running 90% Danger Den gear. Loved those guys. Still running my TDX waterblock from 2004!

[quote name='fore1337']My rigs are still running 90% Danger Den gear. Loved those guys. Still running my TDX waterblock from 2004![/QUOTE]

Well there's why the went out of business.

If they knew what they were doing they would have made sure that waterblock would have needed to be replaced at least twice by now.

[quote name='gilby']Well there's why the went out of business.

If they knew what they were doing they would have made sure that waterblock would have needed to be replaced at least twice by now.[/QUOTE]

They should have sold hats for the waterblocks.

So I've decided that I'm going to start my own site which (on the surface) will just look like an advertisement for the Enhanced Steam plugin. On the back end of the site, I'll be doing some PHP magic to pull in data on each game like if it's been in a bundle or not, pricing history, DRM info, etc etc. There are a lot of great sites out there that already have a large chunk of this data, but this will bring it all into a single spot and will make it easy for me to implement all kinds of cool new features in Enhanced Steam.

For now, I just have a bit of homepage set up, but more is coming soon. Check it out and let me know what you guys think:

http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

:)

[quote name='gilby']Well there's why the went out of business.

If they knew what they were doing they would have made sure that waterblock would have needed to be replaced at least twice by now.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I've been out of the loop for a while! I can't believe they are out of business... I don't have any DD parts in my current rig (GTX580 HC2 FTW custom built-in blocks are unbeatable), but my first liquid loop was heavy with DD parts.

[quote name='xxxholic']Spent 3 hours playing Ravaged meh.[/QUOTE]
Not impressed, eh? I tried it a little after it went off beta and was extremely bored with it. Seems to be a lot of people playing though...

[quote name='imac2much']
Does anyone else have the problem where they aren't enjoying a game as much as expected, but having already invested several hours into it, find themselves having difficulty "giving up" on said game? Maybe it's just my personality, but I find myself hunkering down to finish a game even when it's obvious I'm not having much fun with it, solely so I can finish the game. This is where I currently find myself with Darksiders 2, having spent a dozen hours on it before December, but I put it on hold to play a bunch of other games (FTL, Dishonored, XCOM, Mark of the Ninja), and now I'm dreading going back to it haha.... First world problems.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Skyrim! I know, shame on me right? But after >100 hours of gameplay and a LOT of sidequests I've explored pretty much the whole map and well... exploring is kind of the charm of the game so now that I've seen everything I am realising that I don't care much for the story.

I still want to finish it though. I do want to know how it ends. I never finished Fallout 3 nor Oblivion for the same reasons and they both feel like I left a gap.

[quote name='Therapy']Yep. Skyrim! I know, shame on me right? But after >100 hours of gameplay and a LOT of sidequests I've explored pretty much the whole map and well... exploring is kind of the charm of the game so now that I've seen everything I am realising that I don't care much for the story.

I still want to finish it though. I do want to know how it ends. I never finished Fallout 3 nor Oblivion for the same reasons and they both feel like I left a gap.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's shame on you. I did all of the guild stuff, and barely touched the story. I got to the part where they teach dragontongue or whatever (it's not a spoiler, it's like the second story mission.)

I have the same problem with Deus Ex Human Revolution. I stopped playing it because of Borderlands 2, then Dishonored kept me from going right back to it, and now since the game saved right at this super hard boss, I don't really remember how to play, and I'm stuck on the boss. As a result, I quit playing that, and I think I'm literally half-way through the game. The boss is
the female who charges at you over and over again, drives me crazy

[quote name='Broken Cage']I don't think it's shame on you. I did all of the guild stuff, and barely touched the story. I got to the part where they teach dragontongue or whatever (it's not a spoiler, it's like the second story mission.)

I have the same problem with Deus Ex Human Revolution. I stopped playing it because of Borderlands 2, then Dishonored kept me from going right back to it, and now since the game saved right at this super hard boss, I don't really remember how to play, and I'm stuck on the boss. As a result, I quit playing that, and I think I'm literally half-way through the game. The boss is
the female who charges at you over and over again, drives me crazy
.[/QUOTE]

Hah oh right I forgot about Deus Ex! I've played that for two hours but I really do not like the controls of that game and so far I'm not getting into the story at all. But I really want to force myself to continue because everyone is talking awesomeness about the story and I'm a sucker for games with a good story, even if the gameplay is a bit clunky.

[quote name='jshackles']So I've decided that I'm going to start my own site which (on the surface) will just look like an advertisement for the Enhanced Steam plugin. On the back end of the site, I'll be doing some PHP magic to pull in data on each game like if it's been in a bundle or not, pricing history, DRM info, etc etc. There are a lot of great sites out there that already have a large chunk of this data, but this will bring it all into a single spot and will make it easy for me to implement all kinds of cool new features in Enhanced Steam.

For now, I just have a bit of homepage set up, but more is coming soon. Check it out and let me know what you guys think:

http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

:)[/QUOTE]

You work is great! I have a gaming blog, aiming at Latin people (like me) mainly and I want to mention your work there, with a dedicated link on the side in the "recommended" section if you allow me.

[quote name='striker64']I know I'm late to the party, but any opinions on Retro City Rampage? It looks pretty fun, and it's inexpensive enough.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up for free on PS Plus and haven't been able to get into it. The best thing the game has going for it is a truckload of pop culture references, which got a few chuckles out of me but the gameplay wasn't anything special.

[quote name='striker64']I know I'm late to the party, but any opinions on Retro City Rampage? It looks pretty fun, and it's inexpensive enough.[/QUOTE]Like Genocidal said, the gameplay is nothing special (at least from the first hour or so of play), but it's a non-stop parade of 80s/NES references, like a Family Guy episode basically. This was kind of amusing enough for me to enjoy it somewhat. If I were you, I would wait until the game drops below $5, or shows up in an indie bundle. I'm guessing the game probably plays better on a PC monitor vs. a PS3 since all the characters/objects/bullets are so tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back