The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mooby']Avoid it until it's in an Indie Gala.[/QUOTE]

Hmm come to think of it, it does look like bundle material. I can afford to wait :)

Would anyone be kind enough to buy me Chivalry with the 20% off code (GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK) from GMG for what is then $8? Saves me a couple of euros (would be 8 euros for me, $8 ~ 6 eur, I'm still a CAG you know :p)
Woops communication error. It's $12,50 it seems. That's not much of a difference in the end.

It's a Fatshark game and most of them have been already (some multiple times). It doesn't play any better than a Warcraft 3 heroRPGish mod.

wow, Hinterland is pretty damn fun. Its quite enjoyable and addicting. After playing it for a few hours, I believe it is worth $5 on its own.

The combat is diablo-style. You dont have any skills though. you can just auto-attack enemies. They drop loot, and you get money for slaying them. A certain number of enemies guard specific locations on the map. For example, when you venture out of your base, you will come across a iron mine. guarding this mine will be 7 enemies of a certain indicated (difficulty) level. After you kill them all, you gain access to the iron mine as a resource hub. In the same way, there are other locations populated on the map, such as a graveyard, herb field, portal, neutral point, etc.

At the same time, you have to manage your base. Every few days, you get new visitors to your base. These visitors are of various trades: guardsman, craftsmen, herbalist, innkeeper, etc. You have to recruit these people to your town by paying them. After paying them, you build them their structure (guard tower, workshop, farm, etc) on a tile in your town. Afterwards, you can upgrade these structures for added benefits. Occasionally, the king will send you requests (similar to those in xcom: enemy unknown), and enemies will attack your base. Your job is to take over the whole map.

As a plus, there are steam achieves :)

[quote name='JakeNome']wow, Hinterland is pretty damn fun. Its quite enjoyable and addicting. After playing it for a few hours, I believe it is worth $5 on its own.

The combat is diablo-style. You dont have any skills though. you can just auto-attack enemies. They drop loot, and you get money for slaying them. A certain number of enemies guard specific locations on the map. For example, when you venture out of your base, you will come across a iron mine. guarding this mine will be 7 enemies of a certain indicated (difficulty) level. After you kill them all, you gain access to the iron mine as a resource hub. In the same way, there are other locations populated on the map, such as a graveyard, herb field, portal, neutral point, etc.

At the same time, you have to manage your base. Every few days, you get new visitors to your base. These visitors are of various trades: guardsman, craftsmen, herbalist, innkeeper, etc. You have to recruit these people to your town by paying them. After paying them, you build them their structure (guard tower, workshop, farm, etc) on a tile in your town. Afterwards, you can upgrade these structures for added benefits. Occasionally, the king will send you requests (similar to those in xcom: enemy unknown), and enemies will attack your base. Your job is to take over the whole map.

As a plus, there are steam achieves :)[/QUOTE]

Darn you! Now you have me re-thinking whether I should buy that bundle or not. The diablo-esque playstyle of that game attracted me but the videos seemed a bit underwhelming to me.

Baldur's gate. Always wanted to play that game since I never got to in the past. But I'm waiting for a significant price drop.

BG: Enhanced Edition... Mrr... Here's to hoping that checks in at 5 bucks in a few Steam Sales :D

Thoughts on Sanctum at the 2.49 price point? Looks interesting... Map packs a must?

[quote name='deftrance']
Thoughts on Sanctum at the 2.49 price point? Looks interesting... Map packs a must?[/QUOTE]

It's not bad for the price but I got bored of it pretty quickly preferring stuff like Dungeon Defenders and Orcs Must Die (although Sanctum is a bit more strategic in terms of laying out pathing/tower setup). You probably wouldn't miss the DLC although the base game only comes with 4 or 5 maps IIRC.

Heh... I bought the Indie Royale Snow Storm Bundle for Hinterland (again: damn you JakeNome :p)

Saw that a couple of the games are just for Desura. I thought that it was some kind of steam-like shop but only for mobile games. Turns out it's indeed pretty much something similar to steam. But also for (I suppose less well-known) PC games.

Or am I wrong? Anyone care to elaborate? Are there people here with experience concerning Desura?

[quote name='Therapy']Heh... I bought the Indie Royale Snow Storm Bundle for Hinterland (again: damn you JakeNome :p)

Saw that a couple of the games are just for Desura. I thought that it was some kind of steam-like shop but only for mobile games. Turns out it's indeed pretty much something similar to steam. But also for (I suppose less well-known) PC games.

Or am I wrong? Anyone care to elaborate? Are there people here with experience concerning Desura?[/QUOTE]

It's a shop/client kind of like steam, but more focused on indie games. It's a nice secondary client to have if you buy a lot of indie bundles. It's a bit clunky in terms of navigation, but it does its job well enough.

In other words, get it. Indie Royale will even tie to your Desura account (same company) which is cool.

[quote name='Therapy']Heh... I bought the Indie Royale Snow Storm Bundle for Hinterland (again: damn you JakeNome :p)

Or am I wrong? Anyone care to elaborate? Are there people here with experience concerning Desura?[/QUOTE]

It's an indie game shop, as well as a client to download/manage mods. They're the people that run Indie Royale, I believe, as well.

I always forget to check on the things I've added to Desura and forget to play them, but it's a decent client (with blazing fast key redemption) and a good company.

Desura is basically steam for indie games. It's a client that updates your games for you and similar steam like duties. I mostly use it for IR games, and I have never had a problem with it.

wow fast reactions, thanks guys. I'll delve deeper into it :) Kinda wondering (on first glance) what the upvalue is if the game is also redeemable on steam (not counting those that aren't)

*Edit* I see that it indeed also offers mods, which is cool. I suppose that is one of the upvalues I was wondering about. Some Amnesia mods look like fun. Though I'd have to buy it on their client again :(

[quote name='Therapy']wow fast reactions, thanks guys. I'll delve deeper into it :) Kinda wondering (on first glance) what the upvalue is if the game is also redeemable on steam (not counting those that aren't)

*Edit* I see that it indeed also offers mods, which is cool. I suppose that is one of the upvalues I was wondering about. Some Amnesia mods look like fun. Though I'd have to buy it on their client again :([/QUOTE]

No need to rebuy it. Having it on Desura just removes a step. You can still use the mods.

[quote name='Therapy']wow fast reactions, thanks guys. I'll delve deeper into it :) Kinda wondering (on first glance) what the upvalue is if the game is also redeemable on steam (not counting those that aren't)

*Edit* I see that it indeed also offers mods, which is cool. I suppose that is one of the upvalues I was wondering about. Some Amnesia mods look like fun. Though I'd have to buy it on their client again :([/QUOTE]

If you have amnesia installed through steam, desura should detect it so you can install the mods off the steam version. If it doesn't auto detect, there's a way to point it toward ammesia's spot in the directory.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Desura is basically steam for indie games. It's a client that updates your games for you and similar steam like duties. I mostly use it for IR games, and I have never had a problem with it.[/QUOTE]

Also important for some of us: the games available on Desura typically have no DRM on them (unlike most games on Steam). I also love the fact that I have the option to just download the zipped installers instead of going through the Desura client.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I love how backwards CAG feels about DRM. I mean some of us get angry when it doesn't use Steam. But other DRM, no no no. :speaktothehand:[/QUOTE]

I agree, even though steam allows offline mode, you still can't lan play, or any other network enabled gaming unless you go back online. And then the fact that only 1 person can play 1 game makes using a single steam account in a family a pain in the ass. The real advantage for me is the centralized cloud installation, and that's about it.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Everyone's "bundle" will be different since it was a build your own deal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! well if anyone has an extra with LA-MULANA I would be interested in purchasing it or trading for it.

[quote name='deftrance']Thoughts on Sanctum at the 2.49 price point? Looks interesting... Map packs a must?[/QUOTE]

I loved Sanctum. I initially got it in a bundle and then bought the (then) complete package on sale to get the rest of the DLC since it worked out cheaper than a la carte. Just get the full package. The added weapons and traps (especially the killing floor which, unlike other improvements, occupies a path space rather than a cube) make the game much more robust.

[quote name='stoned99']I agree, even though steam allows offline mode, you still can't lan play, or any other network enabled gaming unless you go back online. [/QUOTE]

That isn't true, or at least not for all games. I remember when Civ 5 came out, people would play it on LAN doing exactly that with 1 Steam account. The devs were a bit pissed about it because you are obviously not suppose to do it and but from what I recall nothing ultimately came of it.

[quote name='stoned99']I agree, even though steam allows offline mode, you still can't lan play, or any other network enabled gaming unless you go back online. And then the fact that only 1 person can play 1 game makes using a single steam account in a family a pain in the ass. The real advantage for me is the centralized cloud installation, and that's about it.[/QUOTE]
Not sure if it varies by game, but you actually can. Did it a couple weeks ago on Borderlands 2.

We used the same account twice to play over LAN, one was in offline mode and the other wasn't.

[quote name='JakeNome']wow, Hinterland is pretty damn fun. Its quite enjoyable and addicting. After playing it for a few hours, I believe it is worth $5 on its own.

As a plus, there are steam achieves :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah Hinterlands is quite good. I bought it for $2.50 in the winter sale 2 years ago, put in about 20 hours. A bit of warning though: do not play as an orc shaman - there's a game breaking bug for that character only towards the end of a game.

[quote name='jatan11t']Yeah Hinterlands is quite good. I bought it for $2.50 in the winter sale 2 years ago, put in about 20 hours. A bit of warning though: do not play as an orc shaman - there's a game breaking bug for that character only towards the end of a game.[/QUOTE]

No end game spoilers!

If you play as a half-orc shaman, do you only experience half the bug?

Went ahead and installed Hinterland right away after reading Jake Nome's words in favor of it. It's an important step toward something moving up out of the backlog.

If you like Hinterland and you bought the IR with Depths of Peril, I'd suggest giving it a try if you backlogged it. The games are fairly similar, though Hinterland is a bit more town management focused, and Depths is more action oriented. Depths' dev Soldak is pretty great about making some weird RPG hybrid games, and Din's Curse is also great. Hoping to see that one pop up in an IR soon.

Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 2.0, and those with the Chrome plugin it should update automatically. New features:

• Fixed a bug where international currencies were not correctly displayed
  • Homepage "featured games" now highlight if owned or on wishlist
  • Added an "Empty Cart" button to the shopping cart page

Check my signature for the official discussion!

(I'll only be posting in here when there is an update or new features are added that I think people here will benefit from. Thanks!)

[quote name='Corpekata']If you like Hinterland and you bought the IR with Depths of Peril, I'd suggest giving it a try if you backlogged it. The games are fairly similar, though Hinterland is a bit more town management focused, and Depths is more action oriented. Depths' dev Soldak is pretty great about making some weird RPG hybrid games, and Din's Curse is also great. Hoping to see that one pop up in an IR soon.[/QUOTE]

I actually added Depths of Peril to my wishlist at the end of the last sale. I found it while looking through the entire steam catalog to repopulate my wishlist.

also, apparently i played Hinterland for 6 hours today. I beat my first playthrough on Long, Medium difficulty with all the hard mode options on. Very fun and addicting game. Ill definitely be coming back to it again to get the rest of the achieves.

I was excited for Frozen Synapse, but turns out I'm pretty damn terrible at it. I couldn't even get though the tutorial, I missed a bit of reading and couldn't figure out how to get past a sniper.

Looking through the achievements, I'm supposed to fail my 1st single player run and 1st multiplayer run...

[quote name='Corpekata']If you like Hinterland and you bought the IR with Depths of Peril, I'd suggest giving it a try if you backlogged it. The games are fairly similar, though Hinterland is a bit more town management focused, and Depths is more action oriented. Depths' dev Soldak is pretty great about making some weird RPG hybrid games, and Din's Curse is also great. Hoping to see that one pop up in an IR soon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for bringing it all to my attention! Love ARPG collection. After D3 i have this weird collect ARPG's thing going. Hopefully Din's Curse shows up soon!

[quote name='DPsycho']I loved Sanctum. I initially got it in a bundle and then bought the (then) complete package on sale to get the rest of the DLC since it worked out cheaper than a la carte. Just get the full package. The added weapons and traps (especially the killing floor which, unlike other improvements, occupies a path space rather than a cube) make the game much more robust.[/QUOTE]

It looks like the extra weapons that used to be paid DLC (Penetrator, Violator & Killing Floor) are now included free as part of the base game.

The extra paid DLC is only map packs and the soundtrack now.

So, I'm trying to figure out which Steam keys I've used already...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when activating a code in Steam, the first thing that is checked is whether or not the key has been activated, right?

So if I'm getting a message saying that I already own the item, it means that the code has NOT been activated yet, right?

Thanks. :)

[quote name='jkimrey']Correct me if I'm wrong, but when activating a code in Steam, the first thing that is checked is whether or not the key has been activated, right?[/QUOTE]
Nope. It's whether you already own the game.

[quote name='jkimrey']So if I'm getting a message saying that I already own the item, it means that the code has NOT been activated yet, right?[/QUOTE]
It only means that you already own it.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']I was excited for Frozen Synapse, but turns out I'm pretty damn terrible at it. I couldn't even get though the tutorial, I missed a bit of reading and couldn't figure out how to get past a sniper.

Looking through the achievements, I'm supposed to fail my 1st single player run and 1st multiplayer run...[/QUOTE]

Oh man! Tha game is harder than erect nipples! I never really got into it.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Thanks for bringing it all to my attention! Love ARPG collection. After D3 i have this weird collect ARPG's thing going. Hopefully Din's Curse shows up soon![/QUOTE]

I also quite like ARPG's and I'm anxiously awaiting this game called Grim Dawn.

It's being made by the original Titan Quest developers and has been generously kickstarted. I hope it will see the light of day soon. (And hopefully also ends up on steam). I would have kickstarted the hell out of it if I could but that stupid site doesn't accept paypal.

Oh and since I think I saw it in a bundle somewhere a little while ago, I remember that Majesty 2 is also a really fun game. It's not too hard but the gameplay is quite unique. You build a town where you can hire heroes. You can't control the heroes directly, but only indirectly through putting bounties on something you want done (like slaying a monster or exploring an area). They will spend the loot they find in your shops for better armor, potions, etc. It's really quite enjoyable.

[quote name='Therapy']
Oh and since I think I saw it in a bundle somewhere a little while ago, I remember that Majesty 2 is also a really fun game. It's not too hard but the gameplay is quite unique. You build a town where you can hire heroes. You can't control the heroes directly, but only indirectly through putting bounties on something you want done (like slaying a monster or exploring an area). They will spend the loot they find in your shops for better armor, potions, etc. It's really quite enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I LOVED Majesty 2 and put around 20 hours into it (a big contribution for me) but got massively stuck late on in the campaign. I had the choice of taking on either Region A or Region B, both stupidly hard, and just couldn't make any progress. I even YouTubed a few help videos to see where I was going wrong.

It's a really fun game but the difficulty ramped up too much for me to handle late on. But for a dollar or two (which I think is what it's going for in the Steam Trade thread) it's well worth it.

The cheesy Sean Connery ripoff voiceover man just makes it that little bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back