The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']Atomic bomb*

ashes-kitty ...see?[/QUOTE]

I always read it as if you're Ash's Skitty.

advanceshipping.jpg

...and here's your RL photo under the cut.
Skitty_and_Ash_by_Kimishiru.jpg
lolwut

[quote name='DPsycho']I always read it as if you're Ash's Skitty.

advanceshipping.jpg

...and here's your RL photo under the cut.
Skitty_and_Ash_by_Kimishiru.jpg
lolwut
[/QUOTE]

^_^ Nya!

...now why would you think that... ^_~
[quote name='EliotAndrews']Shoite, someone got Pokemon in my Steam thread. Is it too early to ask when the Steam Summer Sale is going to be?[/QUOTE]

Humph! I'm too old for Pokémon. Pokémon is for little kids. =p

Is Pokémon on Steam?

[quote name='louiedog']I wonder if strong Humble Bundle sales helped pay for music re-licensing, because Brutal Legend has been added to the Stream registry.[/QUOTE]

Hm this is interesting. I bought BL around launch for $40 but was sorely disappointed by some of the gameplay, effectively selling it back in a month for $30. However, I'd love to give the game another shot, as I've become a big fan of Tim Schafer's other big works over the last couple years (having beaten Psychonauts, Costume Quest, etc since then). Thanks for the heads up!

I can't wait for Brutal Legend to hit Steam! I've never played it before but have really wanted to try it. Double Fine is awesome for doing this, although I'm not sure how well it will sell at this point.

WHOA. I wasn't expecting that news - I'm quite excited at the prospect of having Brutal Legend in my Steam Library. I missed out on the game because I didn't have a current-gen console. This announcement remedies that issue.

What does that leave, Tim Schafer fans, Grim Fandango?

[quote name='louiedog']I wonder if strong Humble Bundle sales helped pay for music re-licensing, because Brutal Legend has been added to the Stream registry.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! :applause:

[quote name='akmgmer']I can't wait for Brutal Legend to hit Steam! I've never played it before but have really wanted to try it. Double Fine is awesome for doing this, although I'm not sure how well it will sell at this point.[/QUOTE]

It had it's faults but it was a fun game. I rented it back at launch on 360 and picked up a copy for ps3 from Blockbuster for like five bucks during a sale. Definitely, still a very Tim Schafer game with quirky sense of humor.
Plus, if you like the music, like myself it was a bonus. The game is basically a love letter to metal.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']WHOA. I wasn't expecting that news - I'm quite excited at the prospect of having Brutal Legend in my Steam Library. I missed out on the game because I didn't have a current-gen console. This announcement remedies that issue.

What does that leave, Tim Schafer fans, Grim Fandango?[/QUOTE]

Close, but after Grim Fandango we still need:

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

Full Throttle

The Curse of Monkey Island

Brutal Legend was Airmech or Herzog Zwei. The campaign was largely a long tutorial/practice mode for the vs. AI or the online MP, and the online was full of silly exploits and tricks that rendered it not particularly fun or balanced.

That said, the Schafer dialogue is there, and Jack Black, Tim Curry, and Jennifer Hale all turn in great performances alongside actual metal icons.

But as a hack and slash, it's terrible. As a competitive multiplayer game, it's terrible. As a geeky love letter to metal, it's absolutely amazing. As a fun ride with friends who don't know or don't use the infinites or the exploits, it's quite nice. If it actually DOES hit PC with a couple of tweaks here and there (Maybe a better save system. No preorder crap or DLC crap locked away.) I'll be in line for it

[quote name='akmgmer']I can't wait for Brutal Legend to hit Steam! I've never played it before but have really wanted to try it. Double Fine is awesome for doing this, although I'm not sure how well it will sell at this point.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='EliotAndrews']WHOA. I wasn't expecting that news - I'm quite excited at the prospect of having Brutal Legend in my Steam Library. I missed out on the game because I didn't have a current-gen console. This announcement remedies that issue.

What does that leave, Tim Schafer fans, Grim Fandango?[/QUOTE]

There was an ugly trophy bug,sound issues, and save game corruption glitches for the PSN version, Double fine made a patch to fix it, but Sony (and some claim EA) refused to release it unless it was purchasable DLC (just like they did with FrozenByte and their Trine patch they had to charge $1 for). Hope to see the game proper on PC. I've passed on this game 3 times at a $5 price point because it sounded like more frustration then it was worth.

I had fun with Brutal Legend but I wish it didn't have that silly strategy component. I like to think it would have been one of my favorite games of all time if it was just a straight up metal themed, open-world, third person hack 'n slash game.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Brutal Legend was Airmech or Herzog Zwei. The campaign was largely a long tutorial/practice mode for the vs. AI or the online MP, and the online was full of silly exploits and tricks that rendered it not particularly fun or balanced.[/QUOTE]
Any mention of Herzog Zwei deserves some extra attention.

HerzogZwei-Cover.png

All right, back to the Steam-specific stuff.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Any mention of Herzog Zwei deserves some extra attention.

HerzogZwei-Cover.png

All right, back to the Steam-specific stuff.[/QUOTE]

Come on Sega Genesis and MegaDrive classics pack 6!!!

[quote name='RollingSkull']Brutal Legend was Airmech or Herzog Zwei. The campaign was largely a long tutorial/practice mode for the vs. AI or the online MP, and the online was full of silly exploits and tricks that rendered it not particularly fun or balanced.

That said, the Schafer dialogue is there, and Jack Black, Tim Curry, and Jennifer Hale all turn in great performances alongside actual metal icons.

But as a hack and slash, it's terrible. As a competitive multiplayer game, it's terrible. As a geeky love letter to metal, it's absolutely amazing. As a fun ride with friends who don't know or don't use the infinites or the exploits, it's quite nice. If it actually DOES hit PC with a couple of tweaks here and there (Maybe a better save system. No preorder crap or DLC crap locked away.) I'll be in line for it[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this in a nutshell.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I had fun with Brutal Legend but I wish it didn't have that silly strategy component. I like to think it would have been one of my favorite games of all time if it was just a straight up metal themed, open-world, third person hack 'n slash game.[/QUOTE]

That would have been awesome! The strategy thing was a let down to me also when that was revealed.

Or, imagine if it had Zelda elements as well. :drool:

I played the demo on the 360 around the time came out. It ended too fast.

Like has been said, the gameplay isn't great. It's totally functional from what I played and still fun though, and you're not really playing the game for its technical prowess.

I'd grab it for $5.

[quote name='fignutz32']I guess that's what I get for buying the last paradox 2012 bundle mainly for this game. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I know right! I wasnt able to get the Paradox bundle but was working on a trade with someone for when their keys arrived. Guess thats not necessary anymore

I'm assuming this will pretty much destroy any hopes of me being able to sell the War of the Roses keys from that Paradox pack. Should have tried to sell them right away instead of waiting for the initial wave of keys to clear out.

Did any of you read the article? The free to play version is seriously gimped. No unlocks, only default loadouts, and xp/gold at half the normal rate.

I haven't tried the game yet but that really sounds more like an extended demo than anything.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Did any of you read the article? The free to play version is seriously gimped. No unlocks, only default loadouts, and xp/gold at half the normal rate.

I haven't tried the game yet but that really sounds more like an extended demo than anything.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.. I doubt they'd call it a "trial" version without some major restrictions.

Looks like Cryostasis & UFO: Afterlight have been removed from the store. Speculation over on SPUF is that 1C has lost the rights to distribute these games. I'm glad that I already own both because of bundles. But now I'm starting to question my recent policy of avoiding bundles with a lot of games from 1C because of the promised 1C bundle from Amazon. By the time Amazon actually gets that bundle up & running, 1C will have lost the rights to half their game library.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Did any of you read the article? The free to play version is seriously gimped. No unlocks, only default loadouts, and xp/gold at half the normal rate.

I haven't tried the game yet but that really sounds more like an extended demo than anything.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did read the article, but chances are I wouldnt have played the game long enough to unlock that stuff anyway, and I would have paid for it to boot. At least now I can play for free and see if its something that will really grab my attention, and if so then I can pony up the dough for the full experience

[quote name='The End']Looks like Cryostasis & UFO: Afterlight have been removed from the store. Speculation over on SPUF is that 1C has lost the rights to distribute these games. I'm glad that I already own both because of bundles. But now I'm starting to question my recent policy of avoiding bundles with a lot of games from 1C because of the promised 1C bundle from Amazon. By the time Amazon actually gets that bundle up & running, 1C will have lost the rights to half their game library.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I saw UFO Afterlight in Walmart the other dsy for $40. I had to laugh about that.

Also, Blood Bowl Chaos Edition is $9.89 thru Gamestop right now, activates on Steam.

[quote name='The End']I'm assuming this will pretty much destroy any hopes of me being able to sell the War of the Roses keys from that Paradox pack. Should have tried to sell them right away instead of waiting for the initial wave of keys to clear out.[/QUOTE]
On the plus side, this is my chance to trade Cryostasis for skyram!

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Yeah, I did read the article, but chances are I wouldnt have played the game long enough to unlock that stuff anyway, and I would have paid for it to boot. At least now I can play for free and see if its something that will really grab my attention, and if so then I can pony up the dough for the full experience[/QUOTE]

Right, and I was pointing it out to the others who saw it as a bad thing. Sounds right up your alley, but the rest of the responses weren't so optimistic. But I guess if the game is as bad as many people seem to be saying, it hardly matters one way or the other does it.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Right, and I was pointing it out to the others who saw it as a bad thing. Sounds right up your alley, but the rest of the responses weren't so optimistic. But I guess if the game is as bad as many people seem to be saying, it hardly matters one way or the other does it.[/QUOTE]
I don't care how bad it is, but if people dont choose to play as Yorkshire/the white rose/House of York then I'll start de-friending!

Bloody Lancastrians.

[quote name='The End']Looks like Cryostasis & UFO: Afterlight have been removed from the store. Speculation over on SPUF is that 1C has lost the rights to distribute these games. I'm glad that I already own both because of bundles. But now I'm starting to question my recent policy of avoiding bundles with a lot of games from 1C because of the promised 1C bundle from Amazon. By the time Amazon actually gets that bundle up & running, 1C will have lost the rights to half their game library.[/QUOTE]
This only serves to remind me of what a disgustingly large number of games I have. I had to check in a panic I had Cryostasis because I couldn't remember if I'd gotten it or not. And then found out I also owned UFO: Afterlight, which I didn't even realize was a thing that existed.

This makes me think I (and perhaps this thread) needs to participate in "Four in February." You pick 4 games, either started or not, and create an unbreakable vow to the ancient gods promise to finish them before March.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']This only serves to remind me of what a disgustingly large number of games I have. I had to check in a panic I had Cryostasis because I couldn't remember if I'd gotten it or not. And then found out I also owned UFO: Afterlight, which I didn't even realize was a thing that existed.

This makes me think I (and perhaps this thread) needs to participate in "Four in February." You pick 4 games, either started or not, and create an unbreakable vow to the ancient gods promise to finish them before March.[/QUOTE]

I'm down for a "four in February" type thing. If you need someone to pick your games and get this started I gladly will. I could also send you a list of my backlog so we can get this goin.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']This only serves to remind me of what a disgustingly large number of games I have. I had to check in a panic I had Cryostasis because I couldn't remember if I'd gotten it or not. And then found out I also owned UFO: Afterlight, which I didn't even realize was a thing that existed.

This makes me think I (and perhaps this thread) needs to participate in "Four in February." You pick 4 games, either started or not, and create an unbreakable vow to the ancient gods promise to finish them before March.[/QUOTE]

I would participate!

Hey man, not trying to bite on your idea but I created a 4 for February thread so that people could pair up and get this started

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back