The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']Honestly if you can get past the cartoony graphics Venetica is pretty decent. It's a hell of a lot more polished and put together than most stuff on Greenlight, which I realize isn't saying a lot but still.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget clunky animations and early PS2 3D models, at least on Xbox, but yeah, despite of that is surprisingly captivating... my GF was in search of some other ARPG after completing Fable II multiple times, so I bought Venetica thinking that would do and, while initially I thought she would've discarded it due to its less-than-impressive presentation, she ended up sinking many hours in it. There should be some redeeming qualities hidden somewhere in the game... :lol:

Hi folks. 3 free Desura copies of adventure game The Cat Lady up for grabs here!

And just a note to say free shipping on the DVD-roms will end on March 1st, due to increased parcel fees. Sorry about that!

Here are the keys, once they're gone they are most certainly gone!

s5GD5pGf6PFeb
dDVFbQIoHJ9bv
SAvuTC6XXnO0V

enjoy! ML

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='m0ds']Hi folks. 3 free Desura copies of adventure game The Cat Lady up for grabs here!

And just a note to say free shipping on the DVD-roms will end on March 1st, due to increased parcel fees. Sorry about that!

enjoy! ML[/QUOTE]

Grabbed top code, other two are also used.

Thanks! (This is the first time I've actually gotten a code drop!:))

[quote name='m0ds']Hi folks. 3 free Desura copies of adventure game The Cat Lady up for grabs here!

enjoy! ML[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing. Sucks I missed it! :(

GabeN wants to tear down Greenlight: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily

Newell wants Steam to be more open with increased user input

Though Valve's Steam online retail service is currently the market leader, Valve founder Gabe Newell has a lengthy list of changes in store. In a talk at the University of Texas, Newell outlined a Steam more controlled by users than by Valve itself. Possible changes to the service include scrapping the current approval process, killing Steam Greenlight, and opening the storefront to more user-generated content.

"One of the worst characteristics of the current Steam system is that we've become a bottleneck. There's so much content coming at us that we just don't have enough time to turn the crank on the production process of getting something up on Steam. So whether we want to or not, we're creating artificial shelf space scarcity," explained Newell, according to a report by Gamasutra.

"Right now we have inside of Steam we have a dictatorship It's probably bad for the Steam community, in the long run, not to move to a different way of thinking about that. In other words, we should stop being a dictator and move towards much more participatory, peer-based methods of sanctioning player behavior," he said.

Newell wants to turn Steam into a distribution service that any person can use. Newell's idea for the future Steam includes user-driven curation on the storefront.

"So the right way to do that is to make Steam essentially a network API that anyone can call. Essentially, it's like, anyone can use Steam as a sort of a distribution and replication mechanism," said Newell.

"It's not us making a decision about what should or shouldn't be available. It's just, you want to use this distribution facility? It's there. And customers decide which things actually end up being pulled through. So Steam should stop being a curated process and start becoming a networking API."

"The stores instead should become user-generated content. If a user can create his own store -- essentially add an editorial perspective and content on top of the purchase process -- then we've created a mechanism where everybody, in the same way we've seen a huge upsurge of user-generated content with hats, we think that there's a lot of aggregate value that can be created by allowing people to create stores."

Steam Greenlight was meant to put the power in the hands of users, but Newell admits the current implementation is working out.

"Greenlight is a bad example of an election process. We came to the conclusion pretty quickly that we could just do away with Greenlight completely, because it was a bottleneck rather than a way for people to communicate choice," he said.

How lazy and shallow can Valve get? As if the games that we're getting weren't already decreasing in quality, he's talking about doing away with the approval process entirely and letting anyone who can navigate the menus of RPG Maker or Visual Studio release their generic garbage on Steam for people to buy. This will lead to an oversaturation of awful games on Steam written by people who studied C# for a semester at community college. Even Xbox Indie Games have an approval system, and look at all the "My Cat Is So Cute" and "Avatar Sodomy" games that get published there. And talk about deceptive marketing; we'll get "comparative to Skyram" quotes about games that make Bad Rats look like Half-Life 2, and they'll most likely be made by the dev team's mothers.

It's a very bad idea. Greenlight works right now because it's a form of quality control, but if you take that away, nothing will improve except Valve's bottom line. More games equal more profit, generally speaking, and Valve will obviously keep a certain percentage of everything sold. He speaks as though he's humbly opening the market to give indie games more of a chance, but his words are as fruitless and hollow as his eyes.

6620325_21.png

[quote name='Blade']GabeN wants to tear down Greenlight: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily

How lazy and shallow can Valve get? As if the games that we're getting weren't already decreasing in quality, he's talking about doing away with the approval process entirely and letting anyone who can navigate the menus of RPG Maker or Visual Studio release their generic garbage on Steam for people to buy. This will lead to an oversaturation of awful games on Steam written by people who studied C# for a semester at community college. Even Xbox Indie Games have an approval system, and look at all the "My Cat Is So Cute" and "Avatar Sodomy" games that get published there. And talk about deceptive marketing; we'll get "comparative to Skyram" quotes about games that make Bad Rats look like Half-Life 2, and they'll most likely be made by the dev team's mothers.

It's a very bad idea. Greenlight works right now because it's a form of quality control, but if you take that away, nothing will improve except Valve's bottom line. More games equal more profit, generally speaking, and Valve will obviously keep a certain percentage of everything sold. He speaks as though he's humbly opening the market to give indie games more of a chance, but his words are as fruitless and hollow as his eyes.

[/QUOTE]

I think I disagree somewhat. I don't think Greenlight is a system that works particularly well. It works a little, but hasn't solved the bottleneck issue Newell is getting at that has resulted in a lot of fantastic, underappreciated games to be overlooked and miss out on a Steam release. I also don't think this is coming out of a place of laziness, but I agree that it seems like an unfortunate idea to simply open the floodlights on Steam.

Maybe have Steam segmented?

Keep the Valve curated portion of Steam intact to ensure quality while opening a separate, user marketplace area that is essentially a user-generated storefront? I mean, sure there will be a lot of shit, but the wheat always separates itself from the chaff in these situations eventually.

I think trying to keep Steam closed off as a place for only established publishers (as it, for the most part is now, barring greenlight and some indies, which still certainly don't all make it in) suggests a narrow minded outlook on what constitutes "quality."

[quote name='Blade']GabeN wants to tear down Greenlight: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily

[/QUOTE]

The way I read that, we'd still have the Steam store which would be a curated process, but indie devs can also use Steam. For example, you wouldn't find Crappy 8-bit-But-Not-Really Platformer #72 on the Steam store, but if you go to the dev's website you can click the button marked "buy on Steam," pay $5, and it gets added to your library. I could be wrong. We'll see where it goes.

[quote name='louiedog']The way I read that, we'd still have the Steam store which would be a curated process, but indie devs can also use Steam. For example, you wouldn't find Crappy 8-bit-But-Not-Really Platformer #72 on the Steam store, but if you go to the dev's website you can click the button marked "buy on Steam," pay $5, and it gets added to your library. I could be wrong. We'll see where it goes.[/QUOTE]
I'd be all over that like a Primark sweater.

The mechanism already exists for Steam to "host" non-Steam games, I think it was Project Zomboid that used it a while back - they added it to your library, and the dev could update the game files through Steam's servers and so on. I also noticed that we got Steam keys for Galactic Arms Race (which was part of dev's Steamgifts giveaway recently) although it's not yet been greenlit.

Yes there's a lot of junk out there, but if I can get a Steam key for a cool indie game without having to wait for it to be fully approved, I'd be all in favour. Just make sure it keeps away from the main listing, don't want "Badd Ratts" to be stealing sales now do we :lol:

Also, point of order (I think):

If you can find a UK CAG to host a Borderlands 2 4-pack, it's £44.99. That's £11.25 each, which roughly equates to $17.20 (based on £1 = $1.53, which is what Paypal gave me earlier in the week). Give or take a dollar that's your price, which I think is cheaper than the US, or indeed EU, listing.

p.s Don't ask me, I don't want it yet :D

As long as they make the entry point to host a store or add your game high enough it will keep most of the crap off the store. If you have to pay $500 to $1000 you're not going to risk it for crappy indie platformer rpg that might sell for $1 to $3.

Edit:

And I think Flowette recommended Cargo Commander and it is in the latest Groupees bundle:

http://groupees.com/dtg

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
And I think Flowette recommended Cargo Commander and it is in the latest Groupees bundle:

http://groupees.com/dtg[/QUOTE]

I too can vouch for Cargo Commander's quality. It's a fun little game, probably best played in short bursts (that's how I play it). Not too much of a story there, or at least as I've scene, but I love the platforming mechanics. Plenty of upgrades to buy for your equipment to get through the levels, but just as a heads up, that resets every day (though there are some persistent upgrades as you progress up the corporate ladder). It has it's flaws, but I can definitely recommend it at the $3 price point.

Any word on the quality of the other games?

The thing that worries me about this proposed change to adding content to Steam is a problem that existed when Greenlight was first initiated. Will there be something in place to deter people from putting up others' work for sale as their own, or a game that heavily features unlicensed copyrighted material? Don't they kind of NEED to be policing all of this, even if it does create a bottleneck?

[quote name='Eldredpe']I think I disagree somewhat. I don't think Greenlight is a system that works particularly well. It works a little, but hasn't solved the bottleneck issue Newell is getting at that has resulted in a lot of fantastic, underappreciated games to be overlooked and miss out on a Steam release. I also don't think this is coming out of a place of laziness, but I agree that it seems like an unfortunate idea to simply open the floodlights on Steam.

Maybe have Steam segmented?

Keep the Valve curated portion of Steam intact to ensure quality while opening a separate, user marketplace area that is essentially a user-generated storefront? I mean, sure there will be a lot of shit, but the wheat always separates itself from the chaff in these situations eventually.

I think trying to keep Steam closed off as a place for only established publishers (as it, for the most part is now, barring greenlight and some indies, which still certainly don't all make it in) suggests a narrow minded outlook on what constitutes "quality."[/QUOTE]

I think this idea could work. And then for the separate user-generated storefront, have a top sellers list of 50 or so games. If, after a few weeks the same games are still on there, then odds are they are probably some of the best games people have found.

The issue I see is that many people in this thread have mentioned Valve's customer service is, shall we say, lacking, and they'll probably experience a flood of new complaints about a game advertising itself as something different or better than what it actually is. That's one of the nice things about Steam now, is that I feel like if I buy something, it'll be complete and work.

[quote name='momouchi']Now I am just waiting for BL2 DLC to go on sale, missed it during the winter sale[/QUOTE]

The Creature Slaughter Dome hasn't been on sale at all yet :cry:

[quote name='DPsycho']The thing that worries me about this proposed change to adding content to Steam is a problem that existed when Greenlight was first initiated. Will there be something in place to deter people from putting up others' work for sale as their own, or a game that heavily features unlicensed copyrighted material? Don't they kind of NEED to be policing all of this, even if it does create a bottleneck?[/QUOTE]

That's not Valve's job nor will they ever take that upon themselves. Too much liability. Everyone on Greenlight and any other contract with Valve takes on the responsibility if they infringe on anything and Valve holds no liability. So that's not an issue they have and it would open them up to legal liability if they tried policing that.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']That's not Valve's job nor will they ever take that upon themselves. Too much liability. Everyone on Greenlight and any other contract with Valve takes on the responsibility if they infringe on anything and Valve holds no liability. So that's not an issue they have and it would open them up to legal liability if they tried policing that.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the opposite of the truth right there. If Steam started selling games through their store with the profits going to some pirate rather than the people who hold the rights to the game, Valve would NOT be able to say "Not our fault, guys! We turn a blind eye to that kind of thing!" and leave it at that. They'd be on the hook for paying due royalties and trying to recover money paid to the person who put up the game, potentially issuing refunds (as they did with that terrible zombie game pretending to be DayZ). They could be sued if the content has an exclusivity contract. I can't even speculate what would be the result if something were available for sale through their store that included illegal content like child pornography. Valve can't just claim it's not their problem. Reputable publishers would start disassociating themselves with the service.

That't a worst-case scenario, of course. Much more likely are smaller violations of copyright.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Edit:

http://groupees.com/dtg[/QUOTE]
I did, I really liked it, and would fully recommend it at a bundle price. There's no huge story to it, each level is just a series of cargo containers and you have to find a way through them to collect loot.

What makes it fun is that the level is procedurally generated* based on the name you choose, so if I choose the "CheapLikeAFox" sector I can play that particular layout, beat it, and claim the highscore so all your friends can see that you're amazing.

If you think "what kind of sad git does that?", then I advise you not to check out the scoreboard for the BCGQ sector :lol:

* - sort of, ish

[quote name='DPsycho']That's pretty much the opposite of the truth right there. If Steam started selling games through their store with the profits going to some pirate rather than the people who hold the rights to the game, Valve would NOT be able to say "Not our fault, guys! We turn a blind eye to that kind of thing!" and leave it at that. They'd be on the hook for paying due royalties and trying to recover money paid to the person who put up the game, potentially issuing refunds (as they did with that terrible zombie game pretending to be DayZ). They could be sued if the content has an exclusivity contract. I can't even speculate what would be the result if something were available for sale through their store that included illegal content like child pornography. Valve can't just claim it's not their problem. Reputable publishers would start disassociating themselves with the service.

That't a worst-case scenario, of course. Much more likely are smaller violations of copyright.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not their problem. Every publisher who sells games through Steam signs a contract stating Steam will not be liable at all in that situation. They would have to sue the publisher who put the game up for sale and not Steam. That WarZ thing had nothing to do with copyright issues or it being a DayZ inspired game. It was an unfinished beta being sold as completed which is why Steam took it off the store. Of course Steam is careful as to who they associate with to try to avoid this stuff since it's a PR nightmare, but legally they cover their asses quite well as does any retailer out there.

Random thoughts:

Now that Drakensang the River of Time is getting added to Steam everywhere (eventually). I'll shut up about it. Maybe. Oh did I mention Drakensang: the River of Time? :booty:

Seriously though, it was just that it was probably the most extreme example of some of the silliness of Greenlight with a game already on Steam being made to go through Greenlight. They should screen those things a little better or have a no games that are on Steam already rule or something.

On the opening up of Valve, I was wondering when people would grab onto that here. It's already been talked about quite a bit on SPUF. Personally I kind of this this is mostly Gabe just thinking out loud and if this does happen it will be a ways off, but I don't think it will be a bad thing. There's already a front page oriented for certain hand pick featured and sale games and there are top selling lists. Android did a similar overhaul a while back and it helped loads and they are totally open. Now the featured stuff is easy to find and sludge sinks to the bottom.

This already exists on Steam to an extent. That's why you don't see Bad Rats plastered on the front page.

But Android also has that 15 minute refund policy. And I've heard that they will go up to 24 hours if you write support about it. Steam needs a bit better of a refunds policy within reason of course.

I already have everything in the Groupees bundle save for the DRM free game which I have zero interest in. Plus 32-bit only? 2004 much?

I've played some of the Cat Lady and I think it's friggin awesome. It's a very unique, dark adventure game that's unabashedly weird and creepy as hell. NOT your usual point and click. You gotta love a game where in the first 5 minutes the character you play is in the process of committing suicide.

Silly but not-pointless question: in what order should I play the Drakensang games? I can't see the Steam store pages to check for descriptions :p

[quote name='Flowette']Silly but not-pointless question: in what order should in play the Drakensang games? I can't see the Steam store pages to check for descriptions :p[/QUOTE]

Reverse alphabetical.

[quote name='Flowette']I did, I really liked it, and would fully recommend it at a bundle price. There's no huge story to it, each level is just a series of cargo containers and you have to find a way through them to collect loot.

What makes it fun is that the level is procedurally generated* based on the name you choose, so if I choose the "CheapLikeAFox" sector I can play that particular layout, beat it, and claim the highscore so all your friends can see that you're amazing.

If you think "what kind of sad git does that?", then I advise you not to check out the scoreboard for the BCGQ sector :lol:

* - sort of, ish[/QUOTE]

Time to install

Yes, just what Steam needs, a horde of new games that will generate more support tickets so that instead of waiting 2 weeks for a response it'll be 2 months.

[quote name='Preedatore']Time to install[/QUOTE]
Best not check the Preedatore sector, either.

*ahem*

EDIT: WHO THE HELL IS "SMTDEEPBORE"?!?!?!

This. Means. War.

[quote name='Flowette']Silly but not-pointless question: in what order should I play the Drakensang games? I can't see the Steam store pages to check for descriptions :p[/QUOTE]

RoT was the second game to be released but it's a prequel. You can really play either. Personally, I think RoT is a little more put together and well rounded so I prefer it. Since it's a prequel you really aren't missing any background story.

[quote name='travathian']Yes, just what Steam needs, a horde of new games that will generate more support tickets so that instead of waiting 2 weeks for a response it'll be 2 months.[/QUOTE]

Well I'd imagine if they open source it then you'd have to go to the publisher/developer for support. Steam support mostly tells people to do that anyway for most things other than asking for a refund.

I'm on a board game kick, anyone know of some decent Steam adaptations of board games? Memoir '44 was awful in my opinion, not the game just the execution in general. I snagged the freebie Ticket to Ride for iOS the other day and just got me wanting some more on Steam for multiplayer.

[quote name='Outinthedark']I'm on a board game kick, anyone know of some decent Steam adaptations of board games? Memoir '44 was awful in my opinion, not the game just the execution in general. I snagged the freebie Ticket to Ride for iOS the other day and just got me wanting some more on Steam for multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Probably not *exactly* what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed Risk Factions (though I played it on XBLA, not Steam). In addition to traditional Risk, there are a lot of new gameplay modes that play off of the same Risk rules, so it's really easy to get into and understand. Also, my wife liked the fact that she could play as a faction of cats.

If you can look past the fact that it's published by EA (it doesn't require Origin) then I'd say it's worth a look. For true "cheapness" wait for a 50%-75% off sale and pick it up for a couple of bucks.

[quote name='Outinthedark']I'm on a board game kick, anyone know of some decent Steam adaptations of board games? Memoir '44 was awful in my opinion, not the game just the execution in general. I snagged the freebie Ticket to Ride for iOS the other day and just got me wanting some more on Steam for multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is on Steam and I haven't played it, but there is this:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CARCASSONNE/carcassonne

They also have a 4 pack on the UK site:
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DDB-CARCASSONNE/carcassonne-four-pack-bundle

And article:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/20/tiling-away-the-hours-carcassonne-on-pc/

I was pointed to this question, as I'm big on board games, but to be honest I really don't play them in digital form. I wasn't even aware Days of Wonder had Memoir on Steam. I do want Ticket to Ride, but I'm waiting on a sale.

I'm familiar with a number of games that have digital implementations, but they aren't on Steam. Amazon has Carcassonne, which is one that should work very well digitally. Dominion is available through some sort of micro-transaction-laden portal. Many games are scattered here and there at various online portals, many being free-to-play.

[quote name='jshackles']Probably not *exactly* what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed Risk Factions (though I played it on XBLA, not Steam). In addition to traditional Risk, there are a lot of new gameplay modes that play off of the same Risk rules, so it's really easy to get into and understand. Also, my wife liked the fact that she could play as a faction of cats.

If you can look past the fact that it's published by EA (it doesn't require Origin) then I'd say it's worth a look. For true "cheapness" wait for a 50%-75% off sale and pick it up for a couple of bucks.[/QUOTE]
It's also free on Facebook. I used to play it there, and while there are of course microtransactions, they weren't shoved in your face too badly and weren't gamebreaking.

Naturally you should find other people who play it so you can help each other with resources (you know how Facebook games go), but otherwise it's really well done and good fun.

The only thing that got rather annoying was how well the CPU would roll. It was a very common complaint. In some games, the CPU has an advantage in rolls, and that very clearly was the case in Risk Factions. i.e. Taking on 2 troops with 20 and losing 15 rolls in a row. They might have fixed that by now though.

iPhone is the land of fantastic geek tier board game adaptations. In fact they're about the only non terrible games on the system.

Steam? Not so much. All we really have is Ticket To Ride, Spectromancer, and a couple of other weak sauce CCG wannabes. Magic DotP counts I suppose. Nothing neckbeard enough. Twilight Struggle PC ain't coming to steem. GG's snazzy Carcassonne appears to be orphaned entirely from support so doubtful it will get far beyond GG

Another "not on Steam" title, but I saw Talisman on Gamersgate the other day. Not sure how long that's been there but I remember playing the boardgame as a kid and it rocked.

Linky-woo

[quote name='jshackles']Probably not *exactly* what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed Risk Factions (though I played it on XBLA, not Steam). In addition to traditional Risk, there are a lot of new gameplay modes that play off of the same Risk rules, so it's really easy to get into and understand. Also, my wife liked the fact that she could play as a faction of cats.

If you can look past the fact that it's published by EA (it doesn't require Origin) then I'd say it's worth a look. For true "cheapness" wait for a 50%-75% off sale and pick it up for a couple of bucks.[/QUOTE]

The only problem I honestly had with Risk Factions was how stupidly powerful the bonuses would become. (The ones you get for completing certain criteria in a game) Once your opponent gets that extra die on defense, they're nigh impossible to root up from any given location.

This wouldn't of course be such a problem, except you can't play as cats/zombies/yetis/robits and have the awesome little animations without having said broken bonuses be present in the game. :C I think my friends and I would have put WAY more hours into the game were it not for that glaring balance issue. Quite a damn shame too, since the animations and personality really added a lot of extra fun into games of Risk.

[quote name='Flowette']Another "not on Steam" title, but I saw Talisman on Gamersgate the other day. Not sure how long that's been there but I remember playing the boardgame as a kid and it rocked.

Linky-woo[/QUOTE]

Because you were a kid! Try the demo. It's beautiful but it's a mindless die chucker. This is also a solo only rendition to prep for the full game.

Speaking of which, FFG has Elder Sign Omens in Greenlight, a PC port of their iOS rebuild of the Elder Sign board game which is like Arkham Horror only instead of doing fun things you just play Yahtzee for an hour.

I wholeheartedly recommend Neuroshima Hex. It's one of my favorite board games.
You can get it so far only on iDevice or Android, but I've read that they are preparing a PC bigger release. I hope it will be good enough to hit Steam. I would even pay the full price for it on the release day. That's something I've never done before.

[quote name='Rsmobile']
Speaking of which, FFG has Elder Sign Omens in Greenlight, a PC port of their iOS rebuild of the Elder Sign board game which is like Arkham Horror only instead of doing fun things you just play Yahtzee for an hour.[/QUOTE]

Dice games where you need to manage risk and odds have plenty of call for strategy and skill.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']The only problem I honestly had with Risk Factions was how stupidly powerful the bonuses would become. (The ones you get for completing certain criteria in a game) Once your opponent gets that extra die on defense, they're nigh impossible to root up from any given location.
[/QUOTE]

I actually didn't find this to be much of a problem, but I was playing the game a bit more "casually" than most people might.

The wikipedia article for the game lists the die roll chances and whatnot.

[quote name='gilby']Dice games where you need to manage risk and odds have plenty of call for strategy and skill.[/QUOTE]

Like Yahtzee.

I won't lie, there's a certain charm to gauging the odds and pulling out ahead but Elder Sign is not Stone Age. You are living and dying by the dice no matter how many reroll items you bring to the table. The joy of triumph doesn't match the nihilist feeling you get when you chew through four rerolls of 6 dice plus one more reroll again losing dice each time until you lose the last one and still never see the one symbol you need.

Gabe is just blabbing because people will listen. You can't take everything he says completely seriously.

[quote name='Seraphym']The Creature Slaughter Dome hasn't been on sale at all yet :cry:[/QUOTE]

And you should look to buy this thing as cheaply as possible. It's literally a single arena mission that you cannot repeat on the same playthrough.

I'm glad I have it because I can't stand the thought of not having the complete game - but this is something that really should have been given out for free once Gamestop's window of exclusivity closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back