The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='louiedog']The way I read that, we'd still have the Steam store which would be a curated process, but indie devs can also use Steam. For example, you wouldn't find Crappy 8-bit-But-Not-Really Platformer #72 on the Steam store, but if you go to the dev's website you can click the button marked "buy on Steam," pay $5, and it gets added to your library. I could be wrong. We'll see where it goes.[/QUOTE]

THIS would be great. We can't say for sure if this is what we'll get, but it would be much better than the way I interpreted it.

I do agree that Greenlight isn't the best, but if it's some policing versus no policing, I'd rather have the former. But if louie's right, then that would be fine. It'd be a good business move for Valve, even if they'd increase their profits like crazy. We'll see what happens, though.

[quote name='Outinthedark']I'm on a board game kick, anyone know of some decent Steam adaptations of board games? Memoir '44 was awful in my opinion, not the game just the execution in general. I snagged the freebie Ticket to Ride for iOS the other day and just got me wanting some more on Steam for multiplayer.[/QUOTE]
Ticket to Ride is also on Steam. Also, Guardians of Graxia and Blood Bowl are board game-ish. There's also (gag) Monopoly...

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']No, it's not their problem. Every publisher who sells games through Steam signs a contract stating Steam will not be liable at all in that situation. They would have to sue the publisher who put the game up for sale and not Steam. That WarZ thing had nothing to do with copyright issues or it being a DayZ inspired game. It was an unfinished beta being sold as completed which is why Steam took it off the store. Of course Steam is careful as to who they associate with to try to avoid this stuff since it's a PR nightmare, but legally they cover their asses quite well as does any retailer out there.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about an entirely separate issue than the one I was discussing. Yes, we all understand that Valve is NOT the one breaching copyright in that one of several possible cases, but if a bogus product is sold and the money goes through Steam, Steam can't tell people that they need to go talk to the fake publisher to get their money back when the product is pulled. It's going to be their work, their billable hours, their lost revenue. (Imagine buying a phone, but every box contains a wad of steel wool, and Best Buy tells you you have to write the manufacturer in some other country to see about getting a refund. Possibly while continuing to sell the fake phones.)

All I'm saying is that, bottleneck or not, Valve is still going to need to have people eyeballing things. Otherwise, SOMEONE is going to start trying to sell an English-translated ISO of Rapelay through Steam, and no amount of self-defensive paperwork is going to protect Valve from the media circus that follows. Valve knows better than to make things as simple and turnkey as GabeN's interview seems to suggest as his vision. It's not going to happen, not without someone overlooking things.

[quote name='Blade']It'd be a good business move for Valve, even if they'd increase their profits like crazy. [/QUOTE]

Isn't that, like, the definition a good business move?

[quote name='DPsycho']You're talking about an entirely separate issue than the one I was discussing. Yes, we all understand that Valve is NOT the one breaching copyright in that one of several possible cases, but if a bogus product is sold and the money goes through Steam, Steam can't tell people that they need to go talk to the fake publisher to get their money back when the product is pulled. It's going to be their work, their billable hours, their lost revenue. (Imagine buying a phone, but every box contains a wad of steel wool, and Best Buy tells you you have to write the manufacturer in some other country to see about getting a refund. Possibly while continuing to sell the fake phones.)

All I'm saying is that, bottleneck or not, Valve is still going to need to have people eyeballing things. Otherwise, SOMEONE is going to start trying to sell an English-translated ISO of Rapelay through Steam, and no amount of self-defensive paperwork is going to protect Valve from the media circus that follows. Valve knows better than to make things as simple and turnkey as GabeN's interview seems to suggest as his vision. It's not going to happen, not without someone overlooking things.[/QUOTE]

It still takes a lot less effort to have a half-dozen people that sift through every new submission for obvious copyright infringements and illegal content then it is to do the actual QA certification required for a Steam storefront release.

[quote name='DPsycho']SOMEONE is going to start trying to sell an English-translated ISO of Rapelay through Steam[/QUOTE]
My price point is like $5 on that one. Hoping for it to show up in a bundle though.

[quote name='Eldredpe']
It still takes a lot less effort to have a half-dozen people that sift through every new submission for obvious copyright infringements and illegal content then it is to do the actual QA certification required for a Steam storefront release.[/QUOTE]

hahaha, as if such a thing existed! WarZ anyone?

[quote name='travathian']hahaha, as if such a thing existed! WarZ anyone?[/QUOTE]

You're right.

The existence of WarZ and its subsequent removal completely invalidate any claims to quality Steam may have a service.

That's why I switched to Origin.

EA never would have let that happen.

[quote name='DPsycho']You're talking about an entirely separate issue than the one I was discussing. Yes, we all understand that Valve is NOT the one breaching copyright in that one of several possible cases, but if a bogus product is sold and the money goes through Steam, Steam can't tell people that they need to go talk to the fake publisher to get their money back when the product is pulled. It's going to be their work, their billable hours, their lost revenue. (Imagine buying a phone, but every box contains a wad of steel wool, and Best Buy tells you you have to write the manufacturer in some other country to see about getting a refund. Possibly while continuing to sell the fake phones.)

All I'm saying is that, bottleneck or not, Valve is still going to need to have people eyeballing things. Otherwise, SOMEONE is going to start trying to sell an English-translated ISO of Rapelay through Steam, and no amount of self-defensive paperwork is going to protect Valve from the media circus that follows. Valve knows better than to make things as simple and turnkey as GabeN's interview seems to suggest as his vision. It's not going to happen, not without someone overlooking things.[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are wrong, you are entirely wrong. We are talking about the same thing, but you are completely off base and wrong about it.

Yes, legally Valve could tell you to fuck off and sue the publishing company for your money back if you want it back. That's precisely why they have their contracts with these publishers the way they have them, because they have the legal right to tell you that.

Now, what they legally have a right to do and what they will actually do might be two different things. To avoid bad PR or a media circus they might just offer you a refund, but that's their choice. It doesn't matter that money went through Steam. Retail stores also for the most part don't owe you anything. Their return policies and exchange policies are there for good PR, good CS, and sometimes due to state law, but legally their distribution agreements with these vendors puts the entire legal liability for the products on the company that makes their products and not on best buy.

If Apple started selling steel wool boxed in an Iphone 5 box, legally you would have to sue Apple, and not best buy, for that. Now Best Buy might have their own return policy covering that or they might CHOOSE to just issue refunds and handle the issue directly with Apple, but legally they could tell you "Not our problem, take it up with Apple."

I like the idea that any developer can have a buy on Steam button. What it should be though is you as a developer should need to apply for a development key that will allow your games to be sold on Steam. (which will cost some amount to basically deter just putting absolute crap). If you don't follow x rules, you are banned from publishing for Steam.

Steam should have a separate marketplace for this. Kinda like a buy at your own risk type of thing. Then have the normal approval process for games to get on the main storefront.

Then if a game does really well on the non approved side, it's easier for Steam to just say ok your a game on the main storefront because obliviously people bought it and liked it.

I know its not the greatest game, and it has a lot of faults, but has anyone who bashes on War Z incessantly actually played it at all? While it may not be an original concept by any stretch and its crappy that they directly lifted assets from another one of their games but its really not that bad of a game (especially if you are itching for something DayZ like, but you dont really like DayZ). It seems like its the popular thing to do to bash on it, without actually experiencing it.

And I'm no fanboy, I know there are graphics bugs, sound issue (crappy sounds, plus sound bugs), rampant hacking and its a complete rip off of Day Z, I just find it pretty fun to play here and there with a buddy or two. I think a big part of it is that the lead developer Sergey or whatever his name is seems like a giant douche who cant keep his foot out of his mouth, but other than that I think I've gotten my $15 worth

Also Seraphym thanks for the Shift code, I havent managed to get any before this somehow

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I like the idea that any developer can have a buy on Steam button. What it should be though is you as a developer should need to apply for a development key that will allow your games to be sold on Steam. (which will cost some amount to basically deter just putting absolute crap). If you don't follow x rules, you are banned from publishing for Steam.

Steam should have a separate marketplace for this. Kinda like a buy at your own risk type of thing. Then have the normal approval process for games to get on the main storefront.

Then if a game does really well on the non approved side, it's easier for Steam to just say ok your a game on the main storefront because obliviously people bought it and liked it.[/QUOTE]

This is likely the way they are going, sort of how Amazon handles their Marketplace with all these secondary sellers. You have to hit certain metrics for customer feedback, on time delivery, response to CS complaints, etc. And if you fall too low you get warned and eventually banned from the marketplace. I assume they would do the same. Too many refund claims/CSR issue and said Dev or Seller gets yanked from the store.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I like the idea that any developer can have a buy on Steam button. What it should be though is you as a developer should need to apply for a development key that will allow your games to be sold on Steam. (which will cost some amount to basically deter just putting absolute crap). If you don't follow x rules, you are banned from publishing for Steam.

Then if a game does really well on the non approved side, it's easier for Steam to just say ok your a game on the main storefront because obliviously people bought it and liked it.[/QUOTE]

This is likely the way they are going, sort of how Amazon handles their Marketplace with all these secondary sellers. You have to hit certain metrics for customer feedback, on time delivery, response to CS complaints, etc. And if you fall too low you get warned and eventually banned from the marketplace. I assume they would do the same. Too many refund claims/CSR issue and said Dev or Seller gets yanked from the store.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']I know its not the greatest game, and it has a lot of faults, but has anyone who bashes on War Z incessantly actually played it at all? While it may not be an original concept by any stretch and its crappy that they directly lifted assets from another one of their games but its really not that bad of a game (especially if you are itching for something DayZ like, but you dont really like DayZ). It seems like its the popular thing to do to bash on it, without actually experiencing it.

And I'm no fanboy, I know there are graphics bugs, sound issue (crappy sounds, plus sound bugs), rampant hacking and its a complete rip off of Day Z, I just find it pretty fun to play here and there with a buddy or two. I think a big part of it is that the lead developer Sergey or whatever his name is seems like a giant douche who cant keep his foot out of his mouth, but other than that I think I've gotten my $15 worth

Also Seraphym thanks for the Shift code, I havent managed to get any before this somehow[/QUOTE]

Most people haven't played it. I own it too and I agree with you. It's fun for what it is, but the bashing is just the popular thing to do based on misinformation and the fact the dev is a giant douche.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Isn't that, like, the definition a good business move?[/QUOTE]

The part you highlighted is me disagreeing with the business move; they'll become the third-party seller for nearly every PC game in the future, which won't be good for competition. It's just a good move for them.

[quote name='Blade']The part you highlighted is me disagreeing with the business move; they'll become the third-party seller for nearly every PC game in the future, which won't be good for competition. It's just a good move for them.[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying now.

The way you originally worded it was just a little confusing.

[quote name='Rsmobile']Like Yahtzee.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, like Yahtzee. The problem with Yahtzee isn't the lack of decisions to be made, but that the amount of time the dice rolling takes compared to the amount of weight your decisions carry is out of balance, with no sort of theme or chrome to carry the game through.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you are wrong, you are entirely wrong. We are talking about the same thing, but you are completely off base and wrong about it.

If Apple started selling steel wool boxed in an Iphone 5 box, legally you would have to sue Apple, and not best buy, for that. Now Best Buy might have their own return policy covering that or they might CHOOSE to just issue refunds and handle the issue directly with Apple, but legally they could tell you "Not our problem, take it up with Apple."[/QUOTE]

Nope. This depends on what state you live in and what their consumer protection laws consist of.

[quote name='Preedatore']This site posts new shift codes and also lists all the still active codes. A new player can get a good amount of keys to start just on these active codes.

http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key[/QUOTE]

Twitter works too.

Here's another Shift code b/c BL2 won Action Game of the Year at the DICE awards!! W3CTB-HXR5W-S56B3-TTB33-SXTXF

[quote name='Preedatore']This site posts new shift codes and also lists all the still active codes. A new player can get a good amount of keys to start just on these active codes.

http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks a ton! I'm not really that new of a player, but for some reason hadnt put an effort into acquiring the keys before. This helped by putting them all in one place and now I have a bunch.

Just saw that you posted another Seraphym, thanks again for that too!

[quote name='Rsmobile']iPhone is the land of fantastic geek tier board game adaptations. In fact they're about the only non terrible games on the system.

Steam? Not so much. All we really have is Ticket To Ride, Spectromancer, and a couple of other weak sauce CCG wannabes. Magic DotP counts I suppose. Nothing neckbeard enough. Twilight Struggle PC ain't coming to steem. GG's snazzy Carcassonne appears to be orphaned entirely from support so doubtful it will get far beyond GG[/QUOTE]

QFT. I have all of the Reiner Knizia games on iOS. I suppose that many of the designer Eurogames don't really merit a full blown Steam/PC version simply because the graphics and computing power required are comfortably provided for by a modern smartphone or tablet. With all of the iOS/Android conversion we're seeing though, hopefully some of them will make the leap, possibly with global MP including the iOS/Android players.

Going through the boardgamegeek top 100 though, really slim pickings on PC.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']I know its not the greatest game, and it has a lot of faults, but has anyone who bashes on War Z incessantly actually played it at all? While it may not be an original concept by any stretch and its crappy that they directly lifted assets from another one of their games but its really not that bad of a game (especially if you are itching for something DayZ like, but you dont really like DayZ). It seems like its the popular thing to do to bash on it, without actually experiencing it.

[/QUOTE]

I watched an hour-long single-play gameplay video of someone trying to play it, during the span of which the player died from falling 6 feet with a full health bar, had to delete their character to start a new game, died on spawn this time because a fellow new player spawned exactly next to them and their character model didn't load (thereby making them invisible) until after they had beaten the player to death, had to delete the character to start a new game, managed to escape the spawn area and wandered for 10 minutes before finding a residential area that (unlike Day Z) had literally zero loot in it, died at the hands of the zombies in that area after spending a great deal of time meleeing the same zombie in the head to no avail, deleted their character to start a new game, made it to a military base, navigated the zombies, seemed to enjoy this part until they discovered that this area also had no loot at all, and at this point their character was stuck in space and they had to quit.

The War Z, at least when it launched, was a horrible piece of shit game, and I don't need to have had my hands on the mouse and keyboard to know that. Note that I've also played Day Z for at least 10 hours with friends and alone, and ultimately stopped playing it because it was too buggy in spite of its incredible concept which was compelling enough for me to want to push through the bugs to experience it. I'm not a fanboy who is holding Day Z on this pedestal (although, in my opinion, its concept certainly deserves a pedestal), and although I am disgusted by the devs of The War Z for pretty much everything they have done with this game (including 'conceptualizing' it in the first place), I, like many people, can just take the word of those who played it (critics included) in knowing it is a bad game at its core.

Day Z is a clumsy, clumsy game because of the very complicated Arma II engine. That is easily its greatest core gameplay flaw besides the bugs and hacking. I am sure The War Z controls much more simply than Day Z, and for that alone I'm sure lots of people see both games and say "they both have the same amount of bugs, but War Z controls better". That's totally fair, but you don't have to pay for Day Z because it is a self-professed mod in alpha. I mean, effectively as a player you have to pay for the game on which the mod is based, but they're not charging for the Day Z experience; however, I too spent $15, in my case on Arma 2 to play Day Z, and I have to say I also got my money's worth, so I'm with you on that.

[quote name='Outinthedark']I'm on a board game kick, anyone know of some decent Steam adaptations of board games? Memoir '44 was awful in my opinion, not the game just the execution in general. I snagged the freebie Ticket to Ride for iOS the other day and just got me wanting some more on Steam for multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I don't think it is on Steam and I haven't played it, but there is this:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CARCASSONNE/carcassonne

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/20/tiling-away-the-hours-carcassonne-on-pc/[/QUOTE]
Also: Carcassonne on ios is pretty much the standard for boardgame implementations on ios. It's fantastic.

[quote name='gilby']I was pointed to this question, as I'm big on board games, but to be honest I really don't play them in digital form. I wasn't even aware Days of Wonder had Memoir on Steam. I do want Ticket to Ride, but I'm waiting on a sale.
.[/QUOTE]
I have Ticket to Ride on ios and Steam. It's hard to screw up TtR, so buy it anywhere and everywhere :D

[quote name='Rsmobile']iPhone is the land of fantastic geek tier board game adaptations. In fact they're about the only non terrible games on the system.
[/QUOTE]
This. It's the reason I won't leave my iphone for android. I love my boardgame apps too much.

[quote name='poxi']I wholeheartedly recommend Neuroshima Hex. It's one of my favorite board games.
You can get it so far only on iDevice or Android, but I've read that they are preparing a PC bigger release. I hope it will be good enough to hit Steam. I would even pay the full price for it on the release day. That's something I've never done before.[/QUOTE]

Love Neuroshima Hex. Very fun to play on ios.

Also: Hero Academy is kinda-sorta-boardgamey and has good asynchonous gameplay.

With all this talk of ios games, if anyone wants to play TtR (Steam or ios), Carcassonne, Neuroshima Hex, or any other awesome board game on ios, hit me up. BigSpoonyBard on Steam and ios.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']ITheir return policies and exchange policies are there for good PR, good CS, and sometimes due to state law, but legally their distribution agreements with these vendors puts the entire legal liability for the products on the company that makes their products and not on best buy. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='travathian']Nope. This depends on what state you live in and what their consumer protection laws consist of.[/QUOTE]

You conveniently deleted the part where I address just that from my quote. Yes, in some cases state law supersedes the contract signed between Best Buy and their vendors.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Arguing about hypothetical legal and consumer processes in a videogame thread? Have we no shame?[/QUOTE]

Everyone on the internet has a law degree.

Have I mentioned I'm a SCOTUS justice?

Fox, the part you keep seeming to miss is the fact that while, sure, Valve could do whatever they want to, taking any of those actions would destroy their reputation, and this would cost them money and business partnerships in the end. You can keep countering with what they have the right to do, but we're discussing what they are instead likely to do considering that money is on the line. Their handling of the War Z thing is evidence enough.

(And no, I haven't played it, but I'm also not discussing the game's merits, just what happened there on Valve's end.)

Now I don't want to argue, so I'm just leaving it at this. If they want GabeN's vision to be anything more than Amazon Payments, But Valve Instead, there's going to have to be someone assigned to making sure things are legit. (That being said, I could totally see them setting things up that way...)

[quote name='DPsycho']Fox, the part you keep seeming to miss is the fact that while, sure, Valve could do whatever they want to, taking any of those actions would destroy their reputation, and this would cost them money and business partnerships in the end.
[/QUOTE]

He's not missing that. He's mentioned in every post that these are all hypothetical legal arguments that Valve would never go through with because it would be an absolute PR nightmare.

I believe he's flung around the phrase "media circus" quite liberally tonight.

[quote name='Dreamweaver7']QFT. I have all of the Reiner Knizia games on iOS. I suppose that many of the designer Eurogames don't really merit a full blown Steam/PC version simply because the graphics and computing power required are comfortably provided for by a modern smartphone or tablet. With all of the iOS/Android conversion we're seeing though, hopefully some of them will make the leap, possibly with global MP including the iOS/Android players.

Going through the boardgamegeek top 100 though, really slim pickings on PC.[/QUOTE]

Memoir '44 was missing from that list. There is also a free Race For The Galaxy app for PC, which I play against the AI a lot.

It does kinda piss me off that iOS seems to be the target of most developers, since I won't touch an iDevice if I can help it. That being said, most of my online board gaming is done via web anyways. (Yucata.de is my big hangout. I used to play on BSW, which is good for live games.)

[quote name='Seraphym']BL2 Shift code for a Golden Key - CB5BB-XF65C-ZKXTT-TBBBT-TRKJZ[/QUOTE]

Thanks! ^_^ (and whenever I see mention I check the orcz page, though they didn't list the recent like us on myface (or was it spacebook?) for 5 golden keys, while ign did).

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Arguing about hypothetical legal and consumer processes in a videogame thread? Have we no shame?[/QUOTE]

Actually my nickname, "Descarada" is for reasons unrelated to hypothetical legal and consumer processes. ^_~

[quote name='Eldredpe']He's not missing that. He's mentioned in every post that these are all hypothetical legal arguments that Valve would never go through with because it would be an absolute PR nightmare.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm just not used to someone saying that others are entirely wrong about something and then, apparently, agreeing with them entirely. :roll:

[quote name='Eldredpe']I believe he's flung around the phrase "media circus" quite liberally tonight.[/QUOTE]

That one was mine, actually. :D It's amusing to be able to mention Rapelay without it derailing the (admittedly tangential) conversation.

[quote name='DPsycho']
That one was mine, actually. :D It's amusing to be able to mention Rapelay without it derailing the (admittedly tangential) conversation.[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok.

I didn't go back to fact check before posting, because... you know... the Internet.

To be honest, I'm still a little confused on what the points of disagreement the two of you have are.

[quote name='Seraphym']The Creature Slaughter Dome hasn't been on sale at all yet :cry:[/QUOTE]

Not worth it in the slightest. Just join someone's game that owns it and you can play it, including being able to trigger the quests and get exp and rewards.

Unless they patched it out, anyways

[quote name='spuffin']Not worth it in the slightest. Just join someone's game that owns it and you can play it, including being able to trigger the quests and get exp and rewards.

Unless they patched it out, anyways[/QUOTE]

I still want to buy it at 75% off god dammit! :whistle2:x

[quote name='Severose']I still want to buy it at 75% off god dammit! :whistle2:x[/QUOTE]

But then they'll know completionists will pay for small insignificant pieces of games which you've probably already out leveled.

think about what you're doing!

They'll know!

[quote name='DPsycho']I guess I'm just not used to someone saying that others are entirely wrong about something and then, apparently, agreeing with them entirely. :roll:

That one was mine, actually. :D It's amusing to be able to mention Rapelay without it derailing the (admittedly tangential) conversation.[/QUOTE]

I didn't agree with you entirely. I actually made a pretty big distinction. My disagreement really stems from making statements like "Steam can't" do something and "Best Buy would have to." They're misleading and inaccurate and entirely wrong.

Maybe it's just a big misunderstanding and we're really saying the same thing, but there is a huge difference between what companies have to do and what they actually do.

Your initial posts seemed worried about possible legal implications if Steam was hosting games that were infringing copyrights or breaking laws and seemed to try to make a connection between that and Steam having to safeguard against that. Anything they do would be for PR or CS reasons and the legal implications really have nothing to do with that.

Again, maybe a big misunderstanding, but it just seems that your were basing your worries on a fundamentally flawed view of what Valve's legal obligations are.

[quote name='spuffin']Not worth it in the slightest. Just join someone's game that owns it and you can play it, including being able to trigger the quests and get exp and rewards.

Unless they patched it out, anyways[/QUOTE]

It does save time if you're shooting for all the achievements, because its entrance is the closest to the part of the Wildlife Exploitation Preserve that has the 4 cardboard boxes that are guaranteed to spawn the midget enemies when you're on a certain quest. Otherwise, you need to do a lot more running to zone in/out and get them to respawn.

That looks much more ridiculous written out than it sounded in my head.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']You conveniently deleted the part where I address just that from my quote. Yes, in some cases state law supersedes the contract signed between Best Buy and their vendors.[/QUOTE]

No, I purposefully ignored it. It is intellectually dishonest. You rant for multiple paragraphs over the last two pages about how you are right and they are wrong. Then with 5 words you essentially claim that oops, in some areas you are totally wrong. It's like those drug commercials where they tell you how great your life will be with this new drug, and go on and on and on about it, and then at the end the fine print goes flying by and some dude rambles for 10 seconds about anal leakage, unwanted back hair, dry mouth, and oh, this drug might not do anything for you. Which is why I only posted your example because you conveniently forgot to start it with "unless local law dictates otherwise."

[quote name='travathian']No, I purposefully ignored it. It is intellectually dishonest. You rant for multiple paragraphs over the last two pages about how you are right and they are wrong. Then with 5 words you essentially claim that oops, in some areas you are totally wrong. It's like those drug commercials where they tell you how great your life will be with this new drug, and go on and on and on about it, and then at the end the fine print goes flying by and some dude rambles for 10 seconds about anal leakage, unwanted back hair, dry mouth, and oh, this drug might not do anything for you. Which is why I only posted your example because you conveniently forgot to start it with "unless local law dictates otherwise."[/QUOTE]

:roll: Yes, because placing it in the middle of my rant as opposed to the beginning makes it "intellectually dishonest." I could go on, but at this point it's really not worth it since apparently I have to be careful where I place my words ;)

Anyways, everyone needs to Greenlight this:

268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92979562

[quote name='spuffin']But then they'll know completionists will pay for small insignificant pieces of games which you've probably already out leveled.

think about what you're doing!

They'll know![/QUOTE]

I think the slaughter dome missions somewhat scale to your level. I did the first 2 creature rounds but couldn't play on at the time. At the time I was on Round 3 as a lvl 21 mission. I came back a while later at level 32 and retook the mission and it was now a lvl 28.

Armchair lawyering on the internet. There's something you don't see every day. Oh wait. :p

Besides which, Gabe was being Gabe. If you're going to get in internet arguments over hypothetical legalities at least make it for something that is actually, you know, done or legtimately in the works.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
Anyways, everyone needs to Greenlight this:

268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92979562[/QUOTE]

Also it's on Desura, currently on sale for $2.99 and the developer has promised Steam keys to those who buy now if it gets Greenlit.

[quote name='Motoki']Armchair lawyering on the internet. There's something you don't see every day. Oh wait. :p

Besides which, Gabe was being Gabe. If you're going to get in internet arguments over hypothetical legalities at least make it for something that is actually, you know, done or legtimately in the works.

Also it's on Desura, currently on sale for $2.99 and the developer has promised Steam keys to those who buy now if it gets Greenlit.[/QUOTE]

And it'll be in a bundle and everyone that bought it for 2.99 will be salty about it lol

[quote name='Drabelincoln']And it'll be in a bundle and everyone that bought it for 2.99 will be salty about it lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm wanting it to be greenlit for an eventual bundle inclusion. If it has classic punchout game play it could actually be fun, but the novelty is the biggest draw.

[quote name='supershammy']I watched an hour-long single-play gameplay video of someone trying to play it, during the span of which the player died from falling 6 feet with a full health bar, had to delete their character to start a new game, died on spawn this time because a fellow new player spawned exactly next to them and their character model didn't load (thereby making them invisible) until after they had beaten the player to death, had to delete the character to start a new game, managed to escape the spawn area and wandered for 10 minutes before finding a residential area that (unlike Day Z) had literally zero loot in it, died at the hands of the zombies in that area after spending a great deal of time meleeing the same zombie in the head to no avail, deleted their character to start a new game, made it to a military base, navigated the zombies, seemed to enjoy this part until they discovered that this area also had no loot at all, and at this point their character was stuck in space and they had to quit.

The War Z, at least when it launched, was a horrible piece of shit game, and I don't need to have had my hands on the mouse and keyboard to know that. Note that I've also played Day Z for at least 10 hours with friends and alone, and ultimately stopped playing it because it was too buggy in spite of its incredible concept which was compelling enough for me to want to push through the bugs to experience it. I'm not a fanboy who is holding Day Z on this pedestal (although, in my opinion, its concept certainly deserves a pedestal), and although I am disgusted by the devs of The War Z for pretty much everything they have done with this game (including 'conceptualizing' it in the first place), I, like many people, can just take the word of those who played it (critics included) in knowing it is a bad game at its core.

Day Z is a clumsy, clumsy game because of the very complicated Arma II engine. That is easily its greatest core gameplay flaw besides the bugs and hacking. I am sure The War Z controls much more simply than Day Z, and for that alone I'm sure lots of people see both games and say "they both have the same amount of bugs, but War Z controls better". That's totally fair, but you don't have to pay for Day Z because it is a self-professed mod in alpha. I mean, effectively as a player you have to pay for the game on which the mod is based, but they're not charging for the Day Z experience; however, I too spent $15, in my case on Arma 2 to play Day Z, and I have to say I also got my money's worth, so I'm with you on that.[/QUOTE]

I dont dispute or disagree with anything you are saying really other than trying to make an informed decision without having hands on (but with the reputation the game has who would want to put hands on????). If I just pulled up the buggiest videos for a game like Skyrim I would think it was a horribly put together piece of shit too. In this case the War Z is a horribly put together game so far, but it still provides enjoyment for what it is. I've also been playing on and off since October (before it was cool to bash and hate it) and havent had any of the issues you said you viewed (aside from entering an area that has no loot, because someone already looted it, I believe it respawns every 10 minutes). It will be a significant challenge for the developer to get past the negative publicity and get the masses approval, even if the game does end up great.

I also have Arma2 and DayZ, and paid $15 for it as well, so far I've been more pleased with the money I spent on War Z, but its all a matter of preference and opinion I guess

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Yeah, I'm wanting it to be greenlit for an eventual bundle inclusion. If it has classic punchout game play it could actually be fun, but the novelty is the biggest draw.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I played the demo the only thing I wish it had was better knockout animations. They are all the same. At least what I saw

[quote name='asheskitty']That looks like box art for some early 90s deservedly forgotten console game.

And since no one has mentioned it in this thread, DOTA 2 Retail keys (free):
http://computergames.ro/giveaway/dota-2

Let the steamgifts flood begin![/QUOTE]

I think they removed Dota 2 from SG the first time it got flooded a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back