The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Mafia 2 is okay. It feels like a really generic blend of every gangster movie you've ever seen, and never really forges much of its' own identity. It feels about due for a MSRP price drop, as it's been hitting that 7.50 sale price for what seems like over a year now.

With the Codemasters sale running over at GG, I'm predicting a publisher sale on pretty much the same games, but on Steam. Pricing may be worse though, depending on whether or not you have the 20% Debacle Discount on GG. Since I don't have it I'll hold out for a competing Steam sale. Really want to snag Grid and Fuel, but unwilling to have them off Steam.

Edit: Somehow I misread it - Fuel and Grid are Steam keys. Now I have to think about holding out for a bigger discount than 33% or not. Don't recall these two games being discounted at 75% on Steam recently.

They're only on sale at GG because GG just signed a deal to sell their games. I don't think they're in some promotional mode, especially given the "discounts" for GG all appear to be 33 percent.

[quote name='Malibuz0r']Is Mafia II worth picking up from Gamefly? It's $7.49 - discount(GFDFEB20) = 6$.

Edit: Same question for "Spec Ops: The Line". Same price too[/QUOTE]

Yes to Mafia II. No firsthand experience with Spec Ops yet.

Mafia II tells a fun story and most of the game mechanics work really well (sticky cover not so much, but everything else does).

[quote name='Dreamweaver7']

Edit: Somehow I misread it - Fuel and Grid are Steam keys. Now I have to think about holding out for a bigger discount than 33% or not. Don't recall these two games being discounted at 75% on Steam recently.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's been a while since they've had any really good sales on some of the Codemasters games on Steam. I've had GRiD 3 on my wishlist for an eternity.

[quote name='Malibuz0r']Is Mafia II worth picking up from Gamefly? It's $7.49 - discount(GFDFEB20) = 6$.

Edit: Same question for "Spec Ops: The Line". Same price too[/QUOTE]

I would have liked Mafia II more if it delivered what I was expecting: a sandbox GTA-like game with a crime movie inspired story. Instead, while the story gives indeed a strong Goodfellas vibe and TPS gameplay is serviceable, the game's world is incredibly shallow and devoid of activities, apart from stealing cars and wrecking them for money and rob a shop or two just for the sake of it. There are outfits to buy and/or unlock, but you cannot even redecorate your hideout which, albeit trivial, I've always found a fun thing to do.
So, you're limited to drive somewhere, do your thing and drive back home, avoiding the occasional cops/criminals/whatever. Rinse and repeat. Again, and again, and again.
I actually enjoyed what I've played somehow, just be warned that it can get extremely repetitive and can induce disappointment at the thought of what it could have been...

Spec Ops, from what little I've seen, is more or less along the same "Line" :)booty:), but at least is straight to the point and don't require you to drive hundreds of miles before being able to shoot someone :lol:

Aliens: Colonial Marines is obviously live on Steam today. I posted this in the pre-order thread and am copying it here as a Public Service Announcement for anyone considering the game:

Someone just pointed out to me that Gearbox didn't have a thing to do with the entire singleplayer portion of the Aliens: Colonial Marines - they just worked on the multiplayer portion. It seems that Timegate Studios is responsible for that.

Funny that Timegate isn't even mentioned (that I saw) on the official site http://www.sega.com/alienscolonialmarines/ but if you go to Timegate Studios you'll see their name credited http://www.timegate.com/.

That all seems a bit misleading to me...

Edit: here's more: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-section-8-developer-timegate-studios-report

Comments from an ex-Gearbox developer dug up by Superannuation suggest that the majority of the game was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, developer of downloadable console shooter Section 8: Prejudice and various FEAR expansion packs.

"Hate to say it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for Colonial Marines," the ex-dev wrote last year. "I used to work at Gearbox, and the development of that game has been a total train wreck, going on what, six years now?

"Gearbox isn't even making the game, except for the multiplayer. Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past."

[quote name='hal']Aliens: Colonial Marines is obviously live on Steam today. I posted this in the pre-order thread and am copying it here as a Public Service Announcement for anyone considering the game:

Someone just pointed out to me that Gearbox didn't have a thing to do with the entire singleplayer portion of the Aliens: Colonial Marines - they just worked on the multiplayer portion. It seems that Timegate Studios is responsible for that.

Funny that Timegate isn't even mentioned (that I saw) on the official site http://www.sega.com/alienscolonialmarines/ but if you go to Timegate Studios you'll see their name credited http://www.timegate.com/.

That all seems a bit misleading to me...

Edit: here's more: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-section-8-developer-timegate-studios-report[/QUOTE]

That is kind of disapointing and it's the first I've heard of it too. However, I just played through the first two campaign missions and had a lot of fun. The graphics aren't amazing, but the atmosphere and story are great so far.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Has anyone else been winning more often on Steamgifts.com?[/QUOTE]
I had them retroactively cut the value of my contributions (SRTT Franchise Pack from 120 to 50*) which took me under the $500 threshold for several give-aways so my feelings for SG right now can best be described as 'surly'

*This was the 2012 Summer Sale Franchise pack which was valued at $120, not the 2012 Winter sale "Complete" edition.

I loved Mafia II, but yeah, don't go in expecting a sandbox or open-world diversity. The spit and polish did it for me, not its substance. Music's great, visuals great, voice-acting outstanding, story cliched but solid.

Spec Ops is outstanding story, acting, and atmosphere with serviceable third person cover shooting gameplay. 5-7 hours to beat with multiple difficulty levels (challenge is adequately stiff on normal). Try to avoid turning it down to easy as it lessens the impact of the experience as you don't have to make use of cover as much or environmental traps to progress. The multiplayer is completely dead thou.

wow, lots of different iterations of bundles on that page, the Trine 2 franchise pack is $4.99 for both Trine 2 and the DLC. Is more DLC planned or is that the last of it? If more is planned I'll just wait.

[quote name='tristanstewart']i was. why do you say that?[/QUOTE]

It's not a super terrible game but it is pretty bland.

But the real reason is, that's a terrible price. It was just on sale for 10 bucks on Amazon for a week, and that came with the first game too.

[quote name='Corpekata']It's not a super terrible game but it is pretty bland.

But the real reason is, that's a terrible price. It was just on sale for 10 bucks on Amazon for a week, and that came with the first game too.[/QUOTE]

gotcha. i noticed after the fact that the price wasnt as low as i wouldve thought for a deal. well, for a good deal.

I enjoyed Fable III quite a bit actually. Granted, the first two are way better with the Lost Chapters being the standout of the bunch, but I don't think Fable III is a bad game by any means. Lackluster Fable game perhaps, but it's still a fun little RPG on its own, even if it is lacking in several areas.

[quote name='BoringPat']Alpha Protocol $3.00 DRM free on Gamersgate. 1 day only.[/QUOTE]
I'm thinking about getting this one.

I spent a lot of hours on Fable 3. I'm no RPG expert but I liked it enough, though at a certain point I lost interest and never went back.

[quote name='Tsel']I enjoyed Fable III quite a bit actually. Granted, the first two are way better with the Lost Chapters being the standout of the bunch, but I don't think Fable III is a bad game by any means. Lackluster Fable game perhaps, but it's still a fun little RPG on its own, even if it is lacking in several areas.[/QUOTE]
This, exactly.

I'd say it's still worth $10 for that Fable charm and a nicely made game. If anything I think it's too simplistic and limited in its approach, but it's still a fun game with some very unique elements to it, as well as a decision system at points that really pull at your moral fibres.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I'm thinking about getting this one.

I spent a lot of hours on Fable 3. I'm no RPG expert but I liked it enough, though at a certain point I lost interest and never went back.[/QUOTE]

My favorite part of Fable 3 was the "Being The King" Part.
Fable 3 was good, but it just was nowhere as fresh and exciting as Fable: The Lost Chapters.
Plus, Fable 3 in some ways is "Streamlined" even when compared to Fable: TLC.

I still wish Fable 2 would hit the PC...

EDIT:
[quote name='Idiotekque']This, exactly.

I'd say it's still worth $10 for that Fable charm and a nicely made game. If anything I think it's too simplistic and limited in its approach, but it's still a fun game with some very unique elements to it, as well as a decision system at points that really pull at your moral fibres.[/QUOTE]
Agreed.

[quote name='BoringPat']Alpha Protocol $3.00 DRM free on Gamersgate. 1 day only.[/QUOTE]

That's a freaking steal!
Such an underrated cult classic.
And it's DRM-FREE, too!

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Trine 2 at 75% off is the daily deal, and for the first time the Goblin Menace DLC is 75% off too ($1.99.)

Edit: too slow lol.[/QUOTE]

This makes me wonder if Trine 2 (and its DLC?) is about to be in a Humble Bundle.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']This makes me wonder if Trine 2 (and its DLC?) is about to be in a Humble Bundle.[/QUOTE]

this is why i havent bought it

I would bet it will be...and soon

[quote name='MysterD']That's a freaking steal!
Such an underrated cult classic.
And it's DRM-FREE, too![/QUOTE]

Which to some of us in this thread is a minus, not a plus. :p

But anyway, yeah it's an underrated game and a steal at that price. I'm glad I got in on Steam for $2 though.

Indie Royale has opened voting for which of two prior bundles will be rerun.

Choose between The Difficult 2nd and The St. Patrick's Day bundles to be re-run as the Chosen Bundle.

Difficult 2nd Bundle has NightSky (PC+Mac+Linux); Fate of the World (PC + Mac); Scoregasm (PC+Mac+Linux); Ben There, Dan That! (PC) and Time Gentlemen, Please! (PC)

St. Patrick's Day Bundle has Hard Reset (PC); Jolly Rover (PC+Mac); Vertex Dispenser (PC+Mac) and DLC Quest (PC+Mac).

Just so you all know ... we're running the Chosen Bundle poll on Twitter, Facebook and Google+ and the winner will come from the totals across all three.

I believe I have both of those. Separate from this, they are having a Valentine's 2.0 Bundle starting Thursday.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']This makes me wonder if Trine 2 (and its DLC?) is about to be in a Humble Bundle.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me. This is the main reason I haven't picked it up on sale yet, the other being that I never bothered to finish the first game.

[quote name='warreni']Both times I installed this game (once as non-Steam and yesterday as Steam), I've had to fight the "Strict" vs. "Open" NAT problem. I did all kinds of re-jiggering of things: temporary disabling of firewall, reconfiguring router via HTTP (before I did this I didn't even know my router had a login!), rebooting x times because the UpLauncher.exe is an unkillable process in Windows 8, and something I did yesterday worked. I have no idea what worked but now when I fire up the launcher it shows me as Open. Yay! ;) I have one of six events won for the B4 championship (I had to run that race 10-15 times this morning before I was able to take first place--@#$! Ryan Wilder!!).[/QUOTE]

I wish I KNEW what you did. I've wasted probably 5 hours trying to get TDU2 to work, including disabling firewall, re-downloading it 3 times, still no success. the game simply won't start for me. WHY AM I THE UNLUCKY ONE??? What can I do to play the game?

[quote name='DPsycho']Indie Royale has opened voting for which of two prior bundles will be rerun.
[/QUOTE]

I kept going to their page going 'Huh? I don't see it' until I realized it's a social media only poll.

Is it that hard to put up a poll on their website?

Seems that would be easier than counting votes across three different sources that don't have that kind of functionality built into them, yeah.

[quote name='Motoki']Which to some of us in this thread is a minus, not a plus. :p

But anyway, yeah it's an underrated game and a steal at that price. I'm glad I got in on Steam for $2 though.[/QUOTE]

Could always add DRM-FREE version as a Non-Steam game. It's what I do w/ most of my Non-Steam games - since pretty much just about every PC gamer eventually winds-up using Steam for some reason, anyways.

Unfortunately, you don't get all the Steam benefits w/ adding Non-Steam games, if you bought the Steam version (i.e. time-tracking; Steam Achievements if Steam-version had any; auto-patching; etc etc).

Oh, I remember that AP $2 Steam sale - that's even more of a steal, price-wise!!!

It's cool that AP Steam-version works DRM-FREE style (outside of Steam), if you boot just APGame.exe (not the Launcher):
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

I got a question. How many GB is required to download TDU 2 from the TDU 2 launcher? Deciding if it's worth it to just let it download the rest tonight.

I got the Steam download done but now I must download more and my internet gets a nice 120 kb/sec max download rate :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I got a question. How many GB is required to download TDU 2 from the TDU 2 launcher? Deciding if it's worth it to just let it download the rest tonight.

I got the Steam download done but now I must download more and my internet gets a nice 120 kb/sec max download rate :lol:.[/QUOTE]
I downloaded it fast through Steam, but now the launcher updater refuses to install the 1GB update any faster than 60kbps. Basically it's gonna take a good 12 hours or so.

[quote name='rs327']Steam key for Endless Space: Emperor Edition on Nuuvem for ~$5.10.[/QUOTE]
That's not bad at all. They don't take PayPal anymore though, do they?

[quote name='Idiotekque']I downloaded it fast through Steam, but now the launcher updater refuses to install the 1GB update any faster than 60kbps. Basically it's gonna take a good 12 hours or so.[/QUOTE]
Ouch, I am just gonna disable my firewall and let it go tonight. Hopefully it just stays on the launcher and doesn't launch the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back