The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Unanimous 2012 Game of the Year Banzai
Pecan was Game Maker if memory serves.

Speaking of which, is Hotline Miami really Game Maker? I had similar unexplainable slowdown in both games.

I know a few people were waiting for this. Word of mouth tells me the Steam versions haven't been updated yet.

[quote name='uPlay']Settlers 7 and Hawx 2 now playable in offline mode
Following the integration of offline mode within both Settlers 7 and Hawx 2, all Ubisoft games can now be played when Uplay PC is not connected to the Internet.

The Uplay PC client will automatically switch to offline mode when online connection is not available.

Should you want to manually switch to offline mode, you can do so by clicking the "Always start Uplay in offline mode" box in the Settings of the Uplay Client, available from the login screen or the top menu bar.[/quote]

Whoah It's a miracle! Ubisoft actually got a damned clue and is patching their single player games to not need always online DRM? I can play the HAWX 2 I bought for $1 without UPlay in online connected mode?

Is it Christmas?

[quote name='Motoki']Whoah It's a miracle! Ubisoft actually got a damned clue and is patching their single player games to not need always online DRM? I can play the HAWX 2 I bought for $1 without UPlay in online connected mode?

Is it Christmas?[/QUOTE]
Do you play all single player steam games in offline mode?

steam sales have fucking sucked lately. I have $50.00 in steam cash I cant use because I keep finding the steam games I want on sale at other places at much better discounts.

The only two games I need on steam now are Far Cry 3 and Dishonored. Pretty sure I will end up buying Far Cry 3 on steam only because I refuse to use Uplay, but dishonored Ill probably get a better sale somewhere else.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']The question becomes: What kind of game would you make, CheapLikeAFox? Something fox-themed, I'm sure, but would it be a platformer? An Adventure title?[/QUOTE]

I don't care what it is, not buying for less than 91% off!

[quote name='Larce80']Do you play all single player steam games in offline mode?[/QUOTE]

On Uplay? Yes. I don't want to have to connect to their servers. Especially since they've been known to have downtimes.

Also it just bugs me that a single player game would need to be always online in the first place. And what if I lose connection, which does happen on occasion.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']The question becomes: What kind of game would you make, CheapLikeAFox? Something fox-themed, I'm sure, but would it be a platformer? An Adventure title?[/QUOTE]

I actually used to love this game on the SMS back in the day.

images

I know the Master System games are moldy oldy, but there are some really good ones and I kind of wish Sega would do emulator re-releases of them on Steam. I know I can just get an emulator, but still. :p

[quote name='Mooby']I'd assume even the Steam version of FC3 requires Uplay -- am I wrong?[/QUOTE]

You are correct but sometimes Uplay loses your games. Happened to me with Assassin's Creed 3.

[quote name='Motoki']Whoah It's a miracle! Ubisoft actually got a damned clue and is patching their single player games to not need always online DRM? I can play the HAWX 2 I bought for $1 without UPlay in online connected mode?

Is it Christmas?[/QUOTE]

Must be.

Now, if we can get Blizzard on same page and do this w/ D3....

It would be a new genre, den defense. Evil chickens attacking my fox den and me fighting them off with mechanical egg and hot oil throwing fox robots. It would be called Denfense Grid.

[quote name='Motoki']

images

[/QUOTE]

That looks awesome.

[quote name='Motoki']

I know the Master System games are moldy oldy, but there are some really good ones and I kind of wish Sega would do emulator re-releases of them on Steam. I know I can just get an emulator, but still. :p[/QUOTE]

I love mine. It's really charming console (if it is possible for a machine to be charming). I just wish I still had working 3D glasses.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Big news, PS4 is using a x86 processor and a PC GPU. Better optimization!! Yay!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Which they will hold onto for 10 years meanwhile PCs will actually progress.

But for the time being it'll be a nice switch.

[quote name='Motoki']Which they will hold onto for 10 years meanwhile PCs will actually progress.

But for the time being it'll be a nice switch.[/QUOTE]

When's the next versions of OpenGL and DirectX 12 coming? ;)

[quote name='Motoki']Which they will hold onto for 10 years meanwhile PCs will actually progress.

But for the time being it'll be a nice switch.[/QUOTE]

PCs are already ahead but ports will be better.

[quote name='Flowette']Only Foxx game of note...[/QUOTE]

What about arguably the best terrestrial Fox game?

Also 1-hour neenjah giveaway. Hiyah!

[quote name='cheapo72']What about arguably the best terrestrial Fox game?

Also 1-hour neenjah giveaway. Hiyah!

[/QUOTE]

And I am .72 under the contributor limit...

Cheapo72, you deserve some thanks for all that kindness.

I can't think of anything that would ruin this moment of giving and humility.

[quote name='cheapo72']
[/QUOTE]
Oh dear.

Anybody picking up XCOM Enemy Unknown from GMG? I'm kind of surprised there isn't much talk about it considering it's only $16 after coupon. I'm still trying to decide.

[quote name='suwillgetu']Anybody picking up XCOM Enemy Unknown from GMG? I'm kind of surprised there isn't much talk about it considering it's only $16 after coupon. I'm still trying to decide.[/QUOTE]

at this point im waiting for $5

There were probably two big groups of people looking to pick up XCOM. Group one was willing to pay $30 and up for it, and group two is waiting for XCOM to drop down to $10 or lower. I'm sure there are some for whom $16 is the sweet spot. But it's probably a much smaller group than the other two.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for the giveaways cheapo72. Very generous of you.

[quote name='The End']There were probably two big groups of people looking to pick up XCOM. Group one was willing to pay $30 and up for it, and group two is waiting for XCOM to drop down to $10 or lower. [/QUOTE]

Count me as one of the sub-$10 XCOM CAG. I survived the early hype and now might as well wait for the GOTY edition sale in one of those seasonal sales.

BTW, groupee's bundle just reached another goal. The bonus game key for Air Buccaneers is now available.

[quote name='BoringPat']Count me as one of the sub-$10 XCOM CAG. I survive the early hype and now might as well wait for the GOTY edition sale in one of those season sales.

BTW, groupee's bundle just reached another goal. The bonus game key for Air Buccaneers is now available.[/QUOTE]

I have a friend that played the game for about 20 hours straight when he bought it and almost convinced me I had to play it right away. Well, at this point I'm with you, I might as well wait for a better price.

Is it Christmas?[/QUOTE]

That would explain why HAWX 2 is just now headlining on the seedier portion of the internet. Up until now it was uncrackable.

I maintain that it's not worth it. HAWX 1 was a fantastic little Ace Combat clone marred by really uneven and weak level design and HAWX2 just takes everything bad about HAWX 1 and makes it worse.

Speaking of that, a certain board has confirmed that... ahem, if you aggressively shut down any and all boys there are two girls you can become, ahem, very good friends with.

Granted, this is a PG game but, you know, if you like that sort of thing, you're looking for freakish debauchery and bizarre kinks like blushing and holding hands and giving each other flowers.

[quote name='RollingSkull']That would explain why HAWX 2 is just now headlining on the seedier portion of the internet. Up until now it was uncrackable.

I maintain that it's not worth it. HAWX 1 was a fantastic little Ace Combat clone marred by really uneven and weak level design and HAWX2 just takes everything bad about HAWX 1 and makes it worse.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed HAWX for what it was even with the flaws. HAWX 2 was a chore to play through and I really did not care for it one bit. You hit the nail on the head here.

As much as I love buying random/obscure games and trying them out, I have to pass on Magical Diary. Not that the game is bad or anything or I wouldn't play it, but I want to save the trouble of explaining to my GF what the fuck I am playing :lol:.

I mean she is a gamer herself and plays anything really, but even that game would take some explaining that I don't want to do ;).

[quote name='Preedatore']I enjoyed HAWX for what it was even with the flaws. HAWX 2 was a chore to play through and I really did not care fot it one bit. You hit the nail on the head here.[/QUOTE]
Same on both counts. HAWX1 has a special place in my heart. DRM-free on PC too back before UbiDRM.

The only thing HAWX2 did right was a survival mode and even then it's too damn slow and boring and should not ask you to strike ground targets in random waves. We're here for the dogfighting dammit.

It also tried to rip off Ace Combat's plot and storytelling style but trying to marry that to Clancy worked like ass. No boss fights, but they did squeak in laser satellite crap and a tight corridor finale without being as good as AC.

Some people talk about Sims around these parts.

New patch today (yesterday)

Fixed Bridgeport Performance
Fixed Ghosts not showing up for Ghost Hunter.
HUH! ZAH!

but yeah! super excited to get back to my ghost hunter living in bridgeport!

also super excited about x64 ps4. we might start seeing some serious multithreading now. :) not too concerned about performance catchup since the ps4 gpu is like a 7870, i'm pretty sure, having read a digital foundry article.

[quote name='Corpekata']I can't imagine Humble ever including something like Magical Diary. That looks more like Indie Royale territory.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same. Got a few more responses from her. I asked her about Groupees and Indie Royale.

The big bundles tend to be booked well in advance and looking for high-profile games afaik...
Royale did ask once but I was swamped with work at the time, and then they said they were booked for the next several, and so on.
I can't say it'll never happen, only that there are no plans in the works at the moment.
Didn't realize that Indie Royale plans several bundles so far in advance.

[quote name='spoderman']Didn't realize that Indie Royale plans several bundles so far in advance.[/QUOTE]

I had always assumed that they typically had about 4 or 5 upcoming bundles already planned out. Though the fact that they've recently resorted to having ??? bundles show up in the upcoming bundles area of the page suggests that they're starting to have more trouble getting games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']As much as I love buying random/obscure games and trying them out, I have to pass on Magical Diary. Not that the game is bad or anything or I wouldn't play it, but I want to save the trouble of explaining to my GF what the fuck I am playing :lol:.

I mean she is a gamer herself and plays anything really, but even that game would take some explaining that I don't want to do ;).[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better it cuts both ways. In Oct/Nov 2011 I was just starting to date a new guy. The games I was totally enamored with at the time were, Batman: AC (which I liked enough to complete again in NG+) and Saints Row The Third. It felt really awkward trying to explain that i was having a blast beating up thugs as Batman or how much I loved my SR3 dildobat, "all the lethality of a baseball bat with the absurdity of a sex toy." I loved running around with that thing watching it flop about and brutally murdering people with it. For me, it never got old.

My passion for racing games, I have no such awkwardness with. (Which is no surprise to anyone who's experienced me have fun behind the wheel -- or as they describe it, their life flashing before their eyes.)

So I noticed that there is a free Linux penguin in TF2 if you play the game on Linux before March 1st. How hard is it to install & work with Linux? I could definitely live without the Linux TF2 in-game plush, but if it isn't too hard, I might give it a shot.

I've got an old hard drive that I'm not using. I was thinking that I could temporary install it and disconnect my boot drive. Then install Linux on that old drive.

I know it probably sounds kinda stupid that I'd go through all the trouble for a stupid TF2 hat, but I'm kinda a sucker for these limited time things (Especially ones that are free). If there wasn't a deadline to do it, I probably wouldn't even bother.

[quote name='The End']So I noticed that there is a free Linux penguin in TF2 if you play the game on Linux before March 1st. How hard is it to install & work with Linux? I could definitely live without the Linux TF2 in-game plush, but if it isn't too hard, I might give it a shot.

I've got an old hard drive that I'm not using. I was thinking that I could temporary install it and disconnect my boot drive. Then install Linux on that old drive.[/QUOTE]

Downright trivial these days. Since you sound inexperienced, I'd strongly recommend disconnecting your current drive and giving it a go on that old drive (virtually errorproof that way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back