The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The End']So I noticed that there is a free Linux penguin in TF2 if you play the game on Linux before March 1st. How hard is it to install & work with Linux? I could definitely live without the Linux TF2 in-game plush, but if it isn't too hard, I might give it a shot.

I've got an old hard drive that I'm not using. I was thinking that I could temporary install it and disconnect my boot drive. Then install Linux on that old drive.

I know it probably sounds kinda stupid that I'd go through all the trouble for a stupid TF2 hat, but I'm kinda a sucker for these limited time things (Especially ones that are free). If there wasn't a deadline to do it, I probably wouldn't even bother.[/QUOTE]

Just setup vmware, and install from the iso.

Can't you just boot Ubuntu Live from a USB/DVD and mount the hard drive with the TF2 cache if necessary? Seems like an install isn't needed, really.

[quote name='xanchui']Just setup vmware, and install from the iso.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen good 3D performance from a VM. VMware costs money (well I suppose you could find a Ubuntu VMware Player). VirtualBox is main free VM.

I had to Google vmware just to find out what it was. Given that fact, it's probably just easier for me to install Linux on that old hard drive.

Besides, once I've done that, it will be as simple as connecting a few cables next time I need Linux for something.

[quote name='asheskitty']I've never seen good 3D performance from a VM. VMware costs money (well I suppose you could find a Ubuntu VMware Player). VirtualBox is main free VM.[/QUOTE]

VMware Player is free, and supports limited 3D.

You should also be able to use a USB drive instead of an old hard drive. It is safer to disconnect your existing drives if you don't know what you're doing, because /dev/sd* will get confusing the more drives you have.

Just ask for help if you need it.

[quote name='asheskitty']I've never seen good 3D performance from a VM. VMware costs money (well I suppose you could find a Ubuntu VMware Player). VirtualBox is main free VM.[/QUOTE]

You only have to launch TF2 to get the free item, not play it. VMware Player is free for personal use, or use one of the other free options. 3D performance would suck, but if the only goal is the free item, a vm will be much simpler. If you want to actually play/use it a bit then maybe swap drives.

VMware Player has allowed you to create your own virtual machines for a couple of versions now so you don't need to go out and download anything else besides a distribution's .iso to get up an running. VirtualBox works fine too, but I generally have better luck with VMware. Of course with a plain Ubuntu install either should be fine.

[quote name='louiedog']VMware Player has allowed you to create your own virtual machines for a couple of versions now so you don't need to go out and download anything else besides a distribution's .iso to get up an running. VirtualBox works fine too, but I generally have better luck with VMware. Of course with a plain Ubuntu install either should be fine.[/QUOTE]

No longer, totally lame free version? How will kids learn to steal?

P.S.
you-kids-get-off-my-lawn.jpg
^_~

[quote name='asheskitty']If it makes you feel better it cuts both ways. In Oct/Nov 2011 I was just starting to date a new guy. The games I was totally enamored with at the time were, Batman: AC (which I liked enough to complete again in NG+) and Saints Row The Third. It felt really awkward trying to explain that i was having a blast beating up thugs as Batman or how much I loved my SR3 dildobat, "all the lethality of a baseball bat with the absurdity of a sex toy." I loved running around with that thing watching it flop about and brutally murdering people with it. For me, it never got old.

My passion for racing games, I have no such awkwardness with. (Which is no surprise to anyone who's experienced me have fun behind the wheel -- or as they describe it, their life flashing before their eyes.)[/QUOTE]
For me it's just these weird Japanese games like this. I would have no trouble explaining to my GF I am beating up thugs with a dildo :lol:. Hell most JRPG games are fine too, but this game brings in an odd grey area I don't want to bother with.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']hmmmm, tempting. any input on this?[/QUOTE]

The free version is on steam, if you like Mount & Blade combat you're gonna enjoy this game.

[quote name='Corpekata']I can't imagine Humble ever including something like Magical Diary. That looks more like Indie Royale territory.[/QUOTE]

Except it's not on Desura.

I don't think Groupees would do it either after the somewhat similar nichey Winter Wolves bundle really bombed hard. They kept lowering all the goals and still didn't meet them all.

Never say never but I think if people are waiting for Magical Diary to be bundled they will be waiting a long time...

[quote name='The End']I had always assumed that they typically had about 4 or 5 upcoming bundles already planned out. Though the fact that they've recently resorted to having ??? bundles show up in the upcoming bundles area of the page suggests that they're starting to have more trouble getting games.[/QUOTE]

Well they've painted themselves into a corner a bit by both requiring all games in their bundles to be in Desura and sticking to their indie guns unlike Gala and Groupees who have worked with small to mid tier publishers.

I did notice Paradox starting to put some of their stuff up on Desura recently so maybe they will ease up on the indie point.

Also Fly'n got added to Desura not long ago so hoping for that to show up in IR at some point.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Ticket to Ride is $2.99 on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Days-of-Wonder-Ticket-Download/dp/B00AU80ZSY

Steam[/QUOTE]

Dang it, no DLC on sale as usual. :cry:

[quote name='Motoki']Except it's not on Desura.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter. Indie Royale is owned by Desura, they've added some games to Desura a few days before they got included in an Indie Royale. The bundle agreement can happen before the game gets added to Desura AFAIK.

Also, see my previous post.. the Magical Diary dev had been asked by Desura to include her game in one of their bundles:

Royale did ask once but I was swamped with work at the time, and then they said they were booked for the next several, and so on.
So there is a chance that Indie Royale could pick up Magical Diary in the future, but not for a while.

It's true the Winter Wolves bundle didn't do so great, but Groupees probably wouldn't mind adding Magical Diary to a Build a Bundle, or Be Mine.

[quote name='Motoki']Except it's not on Desura.

I don't think Groupees would do it either after the somewhat similar nichey Winter Wolves bundle really bombed hard. They kept lowering all the goals and still didn't meet them all.

Never say never but I think if people are waiting for Magical Diary to be bundled they will be waiting a long time...

Well they've painted themselves into a corner a bit by both requiring all games in their bundles to be in Desura and sticking to their indie guns unlike Gala and Groupees who have worked with small to mid tier publishers.

I did notice Paradox starting to put some of their stuff up on Desura recently so maybe they will ease up on the indie point.

Also Fly'n got added to Desura not long ago so hoping for that to show up in IR at some point.

Dang it, no DLC on sale as usual. :cry:[/QUOTE]

There have been a decent number of games in the bundle that aren't on desura. Zeno clash, serious Sam 2, and a couple of others. Mostly fps, though.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']There have been a decent number of games in the bundle that aren't on desura. Zeno clash, serious Sam 2, and a couple of others. Mostly fps, though.[/QUOTE]

Both Zeno Clash and SS2 are on Desura. Sure that they need steam to run, but they are indeed on desura.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Thanks Fox! That's $0.50 more than if it went on 75% off on Steam, but I'll bite.

EDIT: Forgot that I could have used the CAGROCKS rock code to get it for $2.25[/QUOTE]

According to Steamprices, it never has gone better than 50% off.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT! Due to unforeseen circumstances, The Whispered World is only available in our bundle until Friday 22nd February, 2pm GMT / 9am EST (not long to go!).
After this time, Whispered World will be replaced by the awesome Air Conflicts: Secret Wars (Steam Key).
The replacement title is only available to new customers - sorry!
So if you haven't bought the bundle yet, it's decision time!
www.bundlestars.com

https://www.facebook.com/BundleStars/posts/414057258687638

so if you want Whispered World buy the bundle today.

So Bundle Stars is dropping The Whispered World and replacing it with Air Conflicts: Secret Wars as of Friday 9AM EST / 6AM PST.

That tips it from 3 games I don't have to 4. I might think about it now.

[quote name='Corpekata']It doesn't really take anything to be added to Desura like it does to be added on to Steam, so it's not really a barrier.[/QUOTE]

Well they can't make anyone add their game there, although if the developer agrees to be in Indie Royale in the first place it seems logical that they would want to.

There was at least one indie developer, Puppy games, who were very unhappy with the lack of sales at Desura and decided to no longer release there. I've also heard some rumblings/rumors that developers need to sell X amount of copies of a game before they even see any money at all. Not sure if it's true or the specifics of that as I haven't dug too deep.

In general though, I think it's probably worth it to have games up there if they will be in a bundle. If not, maybe not so much. Desura also has some weak areas like not really being able to handle DLC as far as I can tell, so I don't know what Paradox is going to do with their games there if they can't crap out DLC for them every 5 minutes.

Probably Indie Royale/Desura could do a better job of recruiting though, but I don't work there so I don't know what goes on. *shrug*

[quote name='Rirse']It's that time again for another crappy Call of Duty sale.[/QUOTE]

If that has you down, there's an Alan Wake sale at Get Games Go, because that never goes on sale. Oh wait. :p

Been out of the loop for the last few weeks (mostly). I see Amazon has a big sale going on, but it's a total mess with Steam / Non-Steam / Shovelware all mixed together.

Also - what's up with all of the Air Buccaneers on Steamgifts?

Gratuitous Space Battles hasn't been this low on Steam in a long, long time (it never appeared in any special sales during the last holiday event). However, why not discount the latest DLC? At $6 it's over a dollar more than the Complete Pack. Ridiculous.

[quote name='Magsec']Gratuitous Space Battles hasn't been this low on Steam in a long, long time (it never appeared in any special sales during the last holiday event). However, why not discount the latest DLC? At $6 it's over a dollar more than the Complete Pack. Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Even worse, the "complete pack" isn't even a complete pack. It's missing the two most recent DLC (Parasites & Outcasts).

[quote name='Stonekeep']The free version is on steam, if you like Mount & Blade combat you're gonna enjoy this game.[/QUOTE]

rly?, I have over 230 hours of Mount & Blade and I regret having bought that shit. Maybe the reason is that I get low fps but anyway looks bad and clunky.
There was over 40-50 people playing 8 hours ago when I tried it... nuff said

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Buy this, you jerks.[/QUOTE]

...But I already own the board game! (And it was a lot more expensive, unfortunately)

Amazon has Singularity (Steam) on sale for $7.50 + 25% off code. It's hard to spot buried in all of the other games, but I believe it to be one of the best underappreciated titles of this generation.

[quote name='slofton']Is ticket to ride really that good? I know it has a huge underground scene. Is it like Catan?[/QUOTE]

Underground? It is highly regarded and is on every single possible platform. It's a good catalyst to get non boardgamers into the hobby.

[quote name='Broken Cage']...But I already own the board game! (And it was a lot more expensive, unfortunately)

Amazon has Singularity (Steam) on sale for $7.50 + 25% off code. It's hard to spot buried in all of the other games, but I believe it to be one of the best underappreciated titles of this generation.[/QUOTE]

Question. Singularity doesnt seem to show up for me on Steam at all (one of the few games i havent got that appeals to me this sale)
What happens if i buy this from Amazon? (am in Oz)

"An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='smurfinaus']Question. Singularity doesnt seem to show up for me on Steam at all (one of the few games i havent got that appeals to me this sale)
What happens if i buy this from Amazon? (am in Oz)

"An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region"[/QUOTE]
Clearly you can't buy it from Amazon since you're not in the US, but if an American friend were to buy it for you, it should activate fine. ;)

[quote name='Detruire']Clearly you can't buy it from Amazon since you're not in the US, but if an American friend were to buy it for you, it should activate fine. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'd be careful on that. Some items are actually region locked keys. I've heard many people say that Inversion is region locked to North America. I'm not sure about Singularity, but you can't just assume that it will work in other regions. At the very least, you should look into it before you buy.

Also, it's one code per user. So you'd need to find somebody who is not planning to use his code and is willing to help you out. That is, assuming that you want the additional discount.

[quote name='The End']I'd be careful on that. Some items are actually region locked keys. I've heard many people say that Inversion is region locked to North America. I'm not sure about Singularity, but you can't just assume that it will work in other regions. At the very least, you should look into it before you buy.[/QUOTE]
The only reason that I used the word "should" is because there may be a new/different batch of keys that are region locked.

[quote name='The End']I'd be careful on that. Some items are actually region locked keys. I've heard many people say that Inversion is region locked to North America. I'm not sure about Singularity, but you can't just assume that it will work in other regions. At the very least, you should look into it before you buy.

Also, it's one code per user. So you'd need to find somebody who is not planning to use his code and is willing to help you out. That is, assuming that you want the additional discount.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys. Going to think about this as i can't find too many other games im interested in this sale..hmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back