The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Might try out Crusader Kings II after PCGamer ran that 200 hours youtube on it. I mean if a game can beat out Civ5 in hours played, sign me up.

I am always on the hunt for addictive games like this. Even better it probably runs on almost anything!

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Might try out Crusader Kings II after PCGamer ran that 200 hours youtube on it. I mean if a game can beat out Civ5 in hours played, sign me up.

I am always on the hunt for addictive games like this. Even better it probably runs on almost anything![/QUOTE]

LOL Welcome to last year. Also check out the GoT mod.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Might try out Crusader Kings II after PCGamer ran that 200 hours youtube on it. I mean if a game can beat out Civ5 in hours played, sign me up.

I am always on the hunt for addictive games like this. Even better it probably runs on almost anything![/QUOTE]

It will consume you.

[quote name='Motoki']I used to be all about long games but the older I get, less time I have and more games get thrown into the backlog the more and more I appreciate shorter games.

As for To The Moon, without getting into spoiler territory I think it's a little bit unique in the way it frames the tale because it starts at the end of a man's life so you have the ending but not the beginning and have to work your way back, peeling back the different layers and seeing why things ended up the way they did and why he has a certain desire even he can't explain.

I thought it was done pretty well for what they had to work with.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's the way of life is - When I was a kid, time couldn't go by fast enough. Now, in my professional life, I have every minute accounted for. (Sadly, that's why I can't post here as often. Subsequently, that's what got me booted from the BGCQ holy land.)

I'm not sure what the likelihood is of To The Moon finding its why into an indie bundle, but I'm definitely going to consider grabbing the game when it hits $3.39 again.

[quote name='Corpekata']Fairly certain To the Moon was already in one, an Indie Royale.[/QUOTE]
It was included in The Fall Bundle from Indie Royale.

[quote name='Motoki']I used to be all about long games but the older I get, less time I have and more games get thrown into the backlog the more and more I appreciate shorter games.[/QUOTE]

That. Can't agree more.

[quote name='Tsel']How the hell did it take that guy 8 hours to beat the game? I beat it in 3 and about 20 minutes of that was sitting idle.[/QUOTE]

Mostly I tend to be slower than other people with games. Beyond that, I'm not sure I remember, other than having a lot of issues with the movement being very finicky and it not always being terribly obvious when you were moving vertically.

The number should be accurate, because I usually rely on either Raptr or Steam to track my time when I make a point of assigning a playtime in a review.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Same here. It will be the first game I've preordered since... I can't even remember. I just don't know which deal to get. I think I'll probably end up going with the Amazon deal, if we can use the 2k credit on the season pass once it's released. Though, I don't think I'll ever get to use the rest of the credit. I want Xcom and BL2, but I'm holding out for GOTY editions for those games. By the time they are available for reasonable prices my credit will have expired. So, I might just go with the GMG deal. It's a tough call.

I wasn't even aware that Black Bible was a video game. I was only privy to the anime, though I really wish I wasn't.[/QUOTE]

The thing is I'm in the market for a new video card so I might get an ATI with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raiders keys.

Bible Black is certainly not for the faint of heart.

[quote name='Blade']Agreed... :cry:[/QUOTE]

It definitely could scar someone.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']The thing is I'm in the market for a new video card so I might get an ATI with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raiders keys.[/QUOTE]

While I've never been swayed by the "freebie" games, I have to say, I think the current Nvidia F2P bundle blows. (I'm down on F2P games, and certainly don't want to get into the having of spending lotsa money on them.)

[quote name='asheskitty']While I've never been swayed by the "freebie" games, I have to say, I think the current Nvidia F2P bundle blows. (I'm down on F2P games, and certainly don't want to get into the having of spending lotsa money on them.)[/QUOTE]

I agree especially since they used to have AC 3 keys up till a few months ago.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Bible Black is certainly not for the faint of heart.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't get close to bothering me any more.

Edit: There are much more messed up stuff across the pond, considering Bible Black is 13 years old now.

[quote name='warreni']Mostly I tend to be slower than other people with games. Beyond that, I'm not sure I remember, other than having a lot of issues with the movement being very finicky and it not always being terribly obvious when you were moving vertically.

The number should be accurate, because I usually rely on either Raptr or Steam to track my time when I make a point of assigning a playtime in a review.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's your review? I feel like a dick for referring to you as that guy now. :lol:

But man, 8 hours? I thought everything was pretty straightforward and even the longest ones on howlongtobeat.com are around 5 hours. Interesting.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Not trying to start a war but is there any way to tie a Uplay activation code to an account?[/QUOTE]

A Uplay account I assume?

There's some info over at Steamgifts: http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/0IJQ6/info-how-does-one-activate-a-uplay-game/page/31337

or here's the TL;DR version

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45840391&postcount=16645

It sounds complicated but it really isn't. Doesn't seem to work for the Steam keys of some of those games I have so YMMV but worth a shot.

[quote name='Motoki']A Uplay account I assume?

There's some info over at Steamgifts: http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/0IJQ6/info-how-does-one-activate-a-uplay-game/page/31337

It sounds complicated but it really isn't. Doesn't seem to work for the Steam keys of some of those games I have so YMMV but worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

All of that is good info! I'd also point out that once you -play-* a game with Uplay DRM it gets tied to your account. Doing it manually lets you download the game from Uplay (rather than Amazon, GG, etc).

* sacrilege, I know.

@Motoki
Thanks for that UPlay info!

@Ashes
UPlay needs to literally have an option like Steam where you can "Activate a UPlay Product" and throw in your UPlay serial code (if there is one).
Dealing w/ UPlay for downloads and installs is just like dealing w/ G4WL, Gamersgate and GameFly - make sure right after doing a download that you COPY your installer folder elsewhere (or rename/renumber it), before you click on "install" while within UPlay - b/c UPlay destroys your original installer folder.

[quote name='MysterD']@Motoki
Thanks for that UPlay info!

@Ashes
UPlay needs to literally have an option like Steam where you can "Activate a UPlay Product" and throw in your UPlay serial code (if there is one).
Dealing w/ UPlay for downloads and installs is just like dealing w/ G4WL, Gamersgate and GameFly - make sure right after doing a download that you COPY your installer folder elsewhere (or rename/renumber it), before you click on "install" while within UPlay - b/c UPlay destroys your original installer folder.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I totally expect them to add that in some update this year (esp since the functionality is now in place, just waiting on a silly GUI box for the :360: kids who don't realize the true superiority of the command line)

In the beginning there was data. The data was without form and null, and darkness was upon the face of the console; and the Spirit of IBM was moving over the face of the market. And DEC said, "Let there be registers"; and there were registers. And DEC saw that they carried; and DEC separated the data from the instructions. DEC called the data Stack, and the instructions they called Code.
And there was evening and there was morning, one interrupt.

And DEC said, "Let there be a word in the midst of the data, and let it separate the data from the registers." And DEC made the word and separated the data which were under the Stack from the registers which were above the memory. And it was so. And DEC called the memory Core.
And there was evening and there was morning, a second interrupt.

And DEC said, "Let the data under the stack be gathered together into one place, and let partitions appear." And it was so. DEC defined the partitions as 4Kw, and the data that were gathered together they called BLOCKS. And DEC saw that it was good. And DEC said, "Let the CPU put for addresses, pointers yielding bytes, and structures bearing words in which there is data, each according to its type, upon the partition." And it was so. And DEC saw that no bits stuck.
And there was evening and there was morning, a third interrupt.

And DEC said, "Let there be lights upon the console of the CPU to separate the addresses from the data; and let them be for signs and for diagnostics and for blinking. And it was so. And DEC made the two great Buses, the greater Bus to rule the CPU, and the lesser Bus to rule the peripherals; they made the peripherals also. And DEC set them on line to give data to the CPU. And DEC saw that it was good.
And there was evening and there was morning, a fourth interrupt.

And DEC said, "Let the Bus bring forth swarms of data, and let stack pointers fly above the data across the partitions of the Core." So Bell created the great C monsters.c and every a.out that runs, with data swarming, and every pointer according to its type." And Bell saw that is it was good. And Bell blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and fork and fill the partitions in the Core, and let processes multiply."
And there was evening and there was morning, a fifth interrupt.

And Bell said, "Let there be UNIX." And it was so. And Bell made the errors of the Bus according to their kinds and the faults of memory according to their kinds, and everything that core-dumps upon the disk according to its error. And Bell saw that it was good. Then Bell said, "Let us make debuggers for the image; and let them have dominion over the a.out, and over the breakpoints, and over every address that sits upon the stack." So Bell created parity; in the image of Core they created it; even and odd they created it. And Bell checked it and saw that it was good. And Bell said of UNIX "Behold, We have given you every pointer yielding objects, and every identifier with value in its address; you shall have them for food. And to every device on the Bus, and to every program in the bin, and to everything that creeps on the disk, everything that has the mode of allocation, We have given inodes to check." And it was so. And Bell saw everything that they had made, and behold, it was a lot better that RSTS/E.
And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth interrupt.

Thus the hardware and the software were finished, and all the host of system calls.
On the seventh interrupt, it crashed.

[quote name='asheskitty']I agree. I totally expect them to add that in some update this year (esp since the functionality is now in place, just waiting on a silly GUI box for the :360: kids who don't realize the true superiority of the command line)
[/QUOTE]

I never bought a :360:
Last console that I owned was a PSX.
I've been a PC gamer since 1995.

That process does actually have you enter your key and activate it to UPlay, so it does end up working like Steam or Origin, only you have to jump through a few more hoops and create a shortcut that launches Uplay with some command line switches.

Agreed that a simple 'click here enter your key' along the lines of Steam/Origin/Desura would be preferable though.

So are there any deals on Bioshock Infinite that doesn't include free games? I pretty much own the free games being offered and well if I don't grab a deal on it, I will just wait till it drops.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So are there any deals on Bioshock Infinite that doesn't include free games? I pretty much own the free games being offered and well if I don't grab a deal on it, I will just wait till it drops.[/QUOTE]

No. There is a good deal roundup summary on SD.

Imo, GG is the best, even better if you are one of the 20%ers.

[quote name='asheskitty']No. There is a good deal roundup summary on SD.

Imo, GG is the best, even better if you are one of the 20%ers.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I think I will wait it out then. The GG deal is good but I think I have enough on my plate. I will wait for a price drop.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So are there any deals on Bioshock Infinite that doesn't include free games? I pretty much own the free games being offered and well if I don't grab a deal on it, I will just wait till it drops.[/QUOTE]

I think maybe your best bet is to grab it off someone who got a copy from the amd promo. I've seen people selling codes for both Tomb Raider and Bioshock for between $50 and $60 which is a solid deal on two new releases that both look very good (I got my code for $70, but was ready to drop $60 on Bioshock alone so it was worth the extra $10 to me for TR which looks great too)

Edit also wish I didnt wiki Bible Black at work. Luckily I only have another week here

[quote name='Motoki']A Uplay account I assume?

It sounds complicated but it really isn't. Doesn't seem to work for the Steam keys of some of those games I have so YMMV but worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link but I've had no success with that method. I've activated my amazon copy of Assassin's Creed 3, a total of 4 times, 2 by downloading the game and 2 by the command line and it still won't tie to my account. :cry: Oh and Far Cry 3 is melting my PC. ;)

[quote name='MysterD']I never bought a :360:
Last console that I owned was a PSX.
I've been a PC gamer since 1995.[/QUOTE]

My first console: Atari 2600
Last: Sega Genesis/Megadrive & SNES

I really don't think I'll be back to console gaming. Bought a wii for my kids... they enjoy it (still), I really prefer PC. They are recently playing a lot of PC too (one of them is fan of Plants vs Zombies, the other, Sonic)

Anyone got an opinion on the best option for Tomb Raider preorder? Looks like everyone has 10% off. I see Greenman has a 20% off code and Amazon has a 25% code, don't know if those can be applied to Tomb Raider tho.

[quote name='asheskitty']Imo, GG is the best, even better if you are one of the 20%ers.[/QUOTE]

Good luck getting them to apply more than 1 discount to your order. I just added it to my cart to check it out, and it treats the game you select to get for free as a separate item. Consequently, because they set it up that way, a coupon gets auto-applied to make said game free.

Why they didn't just have it added as free like they did with BioShock is beyond me. Maybe they did that purposely. :roll:

[quote name='Mooby']Best deal on Bioshock Infinite... is not to buy Bioshock Infinite.[/QUOTE]

It'll be on sale for $5 in 2015. Just wait until then. ;)

If you're paying anything over $36 for a Squeenix preorder you are not CAGing properly. I think GMG had it that low a while back. Otherwise, if you can wait, you KNOW this will drop. Squeenix and 2K Games are very aggressive price cutters, some of the most aggressive sales-mongerers on Steam. Both Tomb Raider AND Bioshock Infinite will drop.

I know it'll drop but considering it'd be a birthday gift I'm just looking for the best current price. My bday is less than a week after release.

Looks like the best deal is Amazon with the code, $33.74.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Severose']Good luck getting them to apply more than 1 discount to your order. I just added it to my cart to check it out, and it treats the game you select to get for free as a separate item. Consequently, because they set it up that way, a coupon gets auto-applied to make said game free.[/QUOTE]
Unless you're dying for a free copy of one of the games, the thing to do is type "bioshock" into the search bar, select it from there (rather than the sale promo page) and pick "Buy". It won't add the extra game but will take off your 20% and give you the 30% BC kick-back bringing the cost down to $28, assuming you consider the credit to be "money off".

I'd rather have BS:I for $28 than BS:I for $42 with some 2K game Amazon just sold for $5. From what I gathered, everyone is getting Bioshock 1 with it when you enter in the Steam key but, again, Bioshock 1's monetary value these days can be measured in buttons and lint.

[quote name='juanjava']My first console: Atari 2600
Last: Sega Genesis/Megadrive & SNES

I really don't think I'll be back to console gaming. Bought a wii for my kids... they enjoy it (still), I really prefer PC. They are recently playing a lot of PC too (one of them is fan of Plants vs Zombies, the other, Sonic)[/QUOTE]

My first console = Atari 7800.

EDIT:
[quote name='Syntax Error']Unless you're dying for a free copy of one of the games, the thing to do is type "bioshock" into the search bar, select it from there (rather than the sale promo page) and pick "Buy". It won't add the extra game but will take off your 20% and give you the 30% BC kick-back bringing the cost down to $28, assuming you consider the credit to be "money off".

I'd rather have BS:I for $28 than BS:I for $42 with some 2K game Amazon just sold for $5. From what I gathered, everyone is getting Bioshock 1 with it when you enter in the Steam key but, again, Bioshock 1's monetary value these days can be measured in buttons and lint.[/QUOTE]
I remember not too long ago when GameFly was flat-out just giving away Bioshock 1 PC....

The Unreal Deal Pack is the Deal of the Day.

I'm not sure if $13.59 is as low as it has been, but I can say this...

$$ vs. playtime is insane. First of all, there's so much content in each of the games that you could sink hundreds of hours into that alone - and I'm just talking about the singleplayer and botmatch aspects of the game. The amount of free user-made content that is available is staggering; mods, mutators, levels, skins, models, TC's, you name it. You could spend years playing nothing but those games. All of them hold up surprisingly well.

Now that I think about it, Metro 2033 is worth about the same amount as Bioshock. The difference is that one got "meh" reviews and the other received perfect scores. Scary I know.

[quote name='hal']The Unreal Deal Pack is the Deal of the Day.

I'm not sure if $13.59 is as low as it has been, but I can say this...

$$ vs. playtime is insane. First of all, there's so much content in each of the games that you could sink hundreds of hours into that alone - and I'm just talking about the singleplayer and botmatch aspects of the game. The amount of free user-made content that is available is staggering; mods, mutators, levels, skins, models, TC's, you name it. You could spend years playing nothing but those games. All of them hold up surprisingly well.[/QUOTE]
UT and UT 2k4 are considered two of the best multiplayer shooters. Period... Although I don't want to get into a UT vs Quake 3 war :lol:

The games are worth the price, but I managed to grab a pack of the Unreal games minus UT III for $2 at GS a few years ago. They are DRM free but still.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Now that I think about it, Metro 2033 is worth about the same amount as Bioshock. The difference is that one got "meh" reviews and the other received perfect scores. Scary I know.[/QUOTE]
Sad, I know - since both games, IMHO, are pretty good, at the very least.

I think they are probably worth about the same b/c neither of Metro 2033 nor Bioshock 1 really did super-blockbuster sales like some of the Call of Duty games have done.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']UT and UT 2k4 are considered two of the best multiplayer shooters. Period... Although I don't want to get into a UT vs Quake 3 war :lol:

The games are worth the price, but I managed to grab a pack of the Unreal games minus UT III for $2 at GS a few years ago. They are DRM free but still.[/QUOTE]

I really don't know how anybody could go wrong w/ picking either UT series or Quake 3: Arena.
{shrug}

Both were freaking awesome.

And while I'm at it - UT3 was also awesome.

EDIT:
And also, while I'm at it - recent article on PCG wanting Unreal Reboot.
Would be interesting if an open-world Unreal ever would be developed.

[quote name='MysterD']Sad, I know - since both games, IMHO, are pretty good, at the very least.

I think they are probably worth about the same b/c neither of Metro 2033 nor Bioshock 1 really did super-blockbuster sales like some of the Call of Duty games have done.[/QUOTE]

I REALLY don't want to start a fanboy war but I hate the Call of Duty games. I liked the series until Black Ops and then I hated it. There is very little substance in the series from story to level design. The series has turned into the Madden series with the thinking of "It's new! I have to buy it!" even though every new installment is a rehash. The graphics look like PS2-quality and most of the online community is under the age of 12. [/rant over]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']UT and UT 2k4 are considered two of the best multiplayer shooters. Period... Although I don't want to get into a UT vs Quake 3 war :lol:[/QUOTE]

Agree... It's not necessary. Everyone knows Q3 is better :bouncy:

[quote name='MysterD']I really don't know how anybody could go wrong w/ picking either UT series or Quake 3: Arena.
{shrug}

And while I'm at it - UT3 was also awesome.[/QUOTE]

I really want to play some Open Arena sessions again!

Now, really... Too many sales lately... too many good bundles... I want to finish The cat lady, Mafia 2 and some more games... Unreal games are very addictive. It was hard for me to stop playing Killing Floor and co try to clean my backlog a bit... really don't want another like that for a good time :lol:

[quote name='MysterD']I really don't know how anybody could go wrong w/ picking either UT series or Quake 3: Arena.
{shrug}

[/QUOTE]
Both games are awesome, I love both. I know some gamers out there however will argue over which one is better :lol:

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I REALLY don't want to start a fanboy war but I hate the Call of Duty games. I liked the series until Black Ops and then I hated it. There is very little substance in the series from story to level design. The series has turned into the Madden series with the thinking of "It's new! I have to buy it!" even though every new installment is a rehash. The graphics look like PS2-quality and most of the online community is under the age of 12. [/rant over][/QUOTE]

I don't hate the COD games. I'd rather they came out say every few years than opposed to every year. It's one of the reason I hardly ever pay full-price or close-to-it for them.

More so than anything - I wish so many other FPS's would STOP copying the COD franchise, in how to do linear-FPS SP campaign or w/ the way they do the MP (with leveling and item/weapons/gear unlocks and whatnot).

The COD games have barely changed much since COD4: Modern Warfare, for the most part - namely w/ the SP and MP. COD4: MW is still, to me, the pinnacle of that series. Since then - it's been more of the same in design, character, and story. Actually, even more true w/ MW2 - the series has gotten even more ridiculous, boom-bastic, explosive, and over-the-top.

Can't speak on Black Ops 2 SP yet - ain't bought the game, so I can touch the SP.
About BO2 MP - thanks to the Free Weekend, from what I played, feels a lot like the other post-COD4 games.

I wish games like Bioshock and Metro out-sold COD. That'd be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back