The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DukeEdwardI']This is the main reason I hardly ever buy games on release. The amount of patching sometimes required is pretty substantial. Skyrim or any other major RPG require at least 3-4 months before all the major issues are patched out. I like to wait until all those patches are out and by then, most titles can be had for 66-75% off.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the user made mods and patches really start to shine.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Ya we may need to start an intervention thread.[/QUOTE]
Motoki: We are sick of seeing you kill your self with these horrible games. You are not the only ones affected by your actions. When you spread these games you get some poor souls to play along with you. After that they are no long the same. If you do not stop we will no longer just laugh and joke about your posts. We will be forced to try to hide them with pictures of cheeseburgers and pretend they never even happened. Please go get help...

Hows that?

[quote name='pROvIs']How do you tell your girlfriend that you really just want to shave her and knit her hair into a sweater?[/QUOTE]
Most girls nowadays shave anyways. Just tell her to save her shavings.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Most girls nowadays shave anyways. Just tell her to save her shavings.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't wear that in pubic.

I mean, public...

By the way, that Alpaca game looks amazing. Right on par with Katawa Shoujo, if I dare say so...

[quote name='Blade']I wouldn't wear that in pubic.

I mean, public...

By the way, that Alpaca game looks amazing. Right on par with Katawa Shoujo, if I dare say so...[/QUOTE]

It does have the one thing Katawa Shoujo was missing...

I'm not sure, if it was mentioned, because I've got lost during beer discussion, then a bit confused by that alpaca game. Anyway, the price of Rayman Origins has been permanently dropped to $19.99 / 14,99€ / £12.99.

Okay, I'm behind. Someone wanna tell me what CAG 3.0 is all about?

Also, I finished The Walking Dead last night. Welcome to last year, I know. So great. I saw something hinting there was one more episode? A season 2?

Also, I've got Assassin's Creed III, but I've only finished Assassin's Creed II (not Brotherhood or Revelations yet). Can I go ahead to III, or storyline-wise, I'd be better to play Brotherhood and Revelations first? Just kinda itching to play III.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Okay, I'm behind. Someone wanna tell me what CAG 3.0 is all about?

Also, I finished The Walking Dead last night. Welcome to last year, I know. So great. I saw something hinting there was one more episode? A season 2?

Also, I've got Assassin's Creed III, but I've only finished Assassin's Creed II (not Brotherhood or Revelations yet). Can I go ahead to III, or storyline-wise, I'd be better to play Brotherhood and Revelations first? Just kinda itching to play III.[/QUOTE]
I'd say at least play Brotherhood. It was my favorite in the series both gameplay and story wise.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Okay, I'm behind. Someone wanna tell me what CAG 3.0 is all about?

Also, I've got Assassin's Creed III, but I've only finished Assassin's Creed II (not Brotherhood or Revelations yet). Can I go ahead to III, or storyline-wise, I'd be better to play Brotherhood and Revelations first? Just kinda itching to play III.[/QUOTE]

I believe a second season is planned for The Walking Dead.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Okay, I'm behind. Someone wanna tell me what CAG 3.0 is all about?[/QUOTE]

Basically a forum upgrade. CAG is moving to an IPS Board. However it was announced like 2 or 3 years ago. Every time I see something about it, all I hear is "Soon" or "Very Soon". Apparently they work on the same time scale as Valve.

[quote name='Preedatore']I believe a second season is planned for The Walking Dead.[/QUOTE]

So, that means I have to finish S1 on my backlog??????

Is an awesome game... can't remember why stopped playing it...

[quote name='Draekon']Basically a forum upgrade. CAG is moving to an IPS Board. However it was announced like 2 or 3 years ago. Every time I see something about it, all I hear is "Soon" or "Very Soon". Apparently they work on the same time scale as Valve.[/QUOTE]

that fuck number!!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Also, I finished The Walking Dead last night. Welcome to last year, I know. So great. I saw something hinting there was one more episode? A season 2?[/QUOTE]
IIRC there was mention of additional content being made available before season 2 begins to hit.

I just want to give people some info on Cherry Tree High Comedy Club.

I just spent nearly two hours playing it. It's amusing: the dialogue is great, the characters are unique and interesting, and the gameplay mechanics are creative. You explore your town and talk to people, trying to recruit them to join your school club. You do a lot of the same actions over and over, socializing with the people you meet and reading magazines and going to movies to try to increase your skill level in conversation topics.

But here's the thing.

The game isn't intended to be completed in one playthrough. Much like Recettear, you're expected to play through the game multiple times to max up your abilities and thus make it easier to recruit the characters to your comedy club. Me, I'm just not doing that. As much as I enjoyed Recettear, I find it tedious and boring to replay the same conversations and story progression. The reward just isn't that high.

So yeah, two hours in, and I'm shelving the game, so to speak. Gonna move on to Magical Diary now.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I just want to give people some info on Cherry Tree High Comedy Club.

I just spent nearly two hours playing it. It's amusing: the dialogue is great, the characters are unique and interesting, and the gameplay mechanics are creative. You explore your town and talk to people, trying to recruit them to join your school club. You do a lot of the same actions over and over, socializing with the people you meet and reading magazines and going to movies to try to increase your skill level in conversation topics.

But here's the thing.

The game isn't intended to be completed in one playthrough. Much like Recettear, you're expected to play through the game multiple times to max up your abilities and thus make it easier to recruit the characters to your comedy club. Me, I'm just not doing that. As much as I enjoyed Recettear, I find it tedious and boring to replay the same conversations and story progression. The reward just isn't that high.

So yeah, two hours in, and I'm shelving the game, so to speak. Gonna move on to Magical Diary now.[/QUOTE]
Whoa, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club was published by Capcom? I wasn't expecting that.

Looking at the gameplay footage, I feel like the only thing missing from this title is a soundtrack composed by Shoji Meguro.

[quote name='utopianmachine']

YES - play Brotherhood. ACB is awesome.

About ACR - I'm currently playing it. It's good, but it doesn't introduce much new to the series.

While ACB introduced NPC Assassins and a whole Multiplayer Component...
ACR just feels like tweaks to the series.
Oh, and ACR's Tower Defense and Portal-like puzzle missions suck.

I ain't touched AC3 yet.
And I don't think anybody's touched AC4: Black Flag yet. ;)

I've completed AC2/ACB/ACR. They cover the story arc of Ezio. I understand AC3 has a new protagonist. Since you've played AC2 and thus have been introduced the AC Assassin/Templar rivalry, I don't imagine the further story elements/reveal of ACB & ACR is that key to AC3.

[quote name='MysterD']YES - play Brotherhood. ACB is awesome.

About ACR - I'm currently playing it. It's good, but it doesn't introduce much new to the series.

While ACB introduced NPC Assassins and a whole Multiplayer Component...
ACR just feels like tweaks to the series.
Oh, and ACR's Tower Defense and Portal-like puzzle missions suck.[/QUOTE]

Having completed ACR, my verdict is "more of the same" but lacking ponies and that compelling element. It's not bad by any means. Play/experiment and have fun with the expanded bomb crafting as soon as it's components open up. Don't worry there are plenty of bomb making components. ProTip: If you still have at least one bomb of a type and components for more you can quick-craft more of those without a table. (ACR in-game tutorials never mention this.)

The tower defense is lame, but you never have to win it after the lol-easy tutorial. You can just fail it then kill the captain -- Assassin Style. One you assign a master assassin to that den you'll never be faced with that again at that location. It's a perversely compelling reason to assign master assassins to your dens asap. You can get the win-3 achive by repeating the tutorial. TL;DR den defense is weak, but easily avoided.

The Portal-light crap is the Lost Archive DLC, dull portal-lite levels while you are slowly dribbled out bits of Desmond's past. I gave up on that halfway through. IMO, don't bother with it unless you're enjoying it. Youtubing it for the story bits would seem to be an option if you're that interested in Desmond's backstory.

Where AC:R's strength lies is in fleshing out more of the Assassins backstory. It finally explains what they mean by, "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MysterD']But, what if I bought DE:HR and Missing Link a while ago...? ;)[/QUOTE]

Maybe try "Had Nu Emu Sex" Revolution Augmented Edition?

emu.jpg

Okay, it's not an Alpaca*... but still...

[quote name='asheskitty']I agree, especially for someone who has the 20%.

Now back to "Had Nu Emu Sex"...[/QUOTE]

Watching the Twilight Saga movies again...? :p

EDIT:
[quote name='snakemaster2389']i love sex with emo boys[/QUOTE]
{SMH}
Ashes, what have you started here...?
{eyebrow raised}

[quote name='MysterD']Watching the Twilight Saga movies again...? :p[/QUOTE]

I prefer this version:

In this re-imagined narrative, Edward Cullen from the Twilight Series meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's an example of transformative storytelling serving as a pro-feminist visual critique of Edward's character and generally creepy behavior. Seen through Buffy's eyes, some of the more sexist gender roles and patriarchal Hollywood themes embedded in the Twilight saga are exposed - in hilarious ways. Ultimately this remix is about more than a decisive showdown between the slayer and the sparkly vampire. It also doubles as a metaphor for the ongoing battle between two opposing visions of gender roles in the 21ist century.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwM3GvaTRM

[quote name='MysterD']
EDIT:
{SMH}
Ashes, what have you started here...?
{eyebrow raised}[/QUOTE]

I bear no responsibility for that. Absurd forms of bestiality =/= pedophilla.

Actually, the daily is not bad. 75% off all Civ stuff including the newly released really we promise it's everything this time
until we release something else that is
Gold Edition of Civ V with the Gods and Kings expansion and all DLC for $12.50.

*Edited to add: Dammit, Civcity Rome is not on sale. That's the only one I don't have and no one else sells Steam keys for it.

[quote name='Motoki']Actually, the daily is not bad. 75% off all Civ stuff including the newly released really we promise it's everything this time

*Edited to add: Dammit, Civcity Rome is not on sale. That's the only one I don't have and no one else sells Steam keys for it.[/QUOTE]

For CIV they like to use "complete" edition. Until you see "complete" assume there will be add-ons.

And yet the Steam FP is still showing me the Serious Sam Bundle...

I never saw any of the Twilight films (I'm pretty picky on what parts of pop kulture I expose myself to.) Though they annoyed me, *another* character called Bella.

You see my main in WoW is/was a gnome mage, Bellamort (Beautiful death, though I was never sure if that referred to the death she caused, or her own -- back in Classic mages were real glass cannons. "Bella's dead" was heard commonly enough on vent to become a running joke/theme in guild, along with "Rezzing Bella". If something went slightly wrong with the Tank(s) I was next on the aggro list, and quite frequently aggro-capped/limited. Aggro management tools used to be far fewer.)

This continued my trend of names that pop kulture would (mis)appropriate. The pretty good Virginia based Darkwave band, Bellamorte, didn't bother me. Harry Potter fanfiction appropriated Bellamort to refer to fanfiction relating to a Bellatrix & Voldemort pairing.

Blah, how did I get on to this... oh right Twilight...

[quote name='asheskitty']And yet the Steam FP is still showing me the Serious Sam Bundle...

I never saw any of the Twilight films (I'm pretty picky on what parts of pop kulture I expose myself to.) Though they annoyed me, *another* character called Bella.

You see my main in WoW is/was a gnome mage, Bellamort (Beautiful death, though I was never sure if that referred to the death she caused, or her own -- back in Classic mages were real glass cannons. "Bella's dead" was heard commonly enough on vent to become a running joke/theme in guild, along with "Rezzing Bella". If something went slightly wrong with the Tank(s) I was next on the aggro list, and quite frequently aggro-capped/limited. Aggro management tools used to be far fewer.)

This continued my trend of names that pop kulture would (mis)appropriate. The pretty good Virginia based Darkwave band, Bellamorte, didn't bother me. Harry Potter fanfiction appropriated Bellamort to refer to fanfiction relating to a Bellatrix & Voldemort pairing.

Blah, how did I get on to this... oh right Twilight...[/QUOTE]

Yea halfway into your post I assumed you were a Bellatrix x Voldemort diehard

[quote name='Motoki']Actually, the daily is not bad. 75% off all Civ stuff including the newly released really we promise it's everything this time

*Edited to add: Dammit, Civcity Rome is not on sale. That's the only one I don't have and no one else sells Steam keys for it.[/QUOTE]

Weird, I'm pretty sure I picked up CivCity Rome for $1 a couple winter sales back.

I agree, the Civ 5 sale isn't bad, and their new Gold version is a lot better than the old GOTY version.

[quote name='asheskitty']Weird, I'm pretty sure I picked up CivCity Rome for $1 a couple winter sales back.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, you're right. According to Steamgamesales it was 99 cents two years ago (2011 Winter sale) but it hasn't been that cheap since and I missed it on that sale.

For some reason Tony has been able to work his magic and get Steam keys for almost every 2K game but this one.

The lowest it has been on Steam since that 2011 is $5. :cry:

It's just the way that Steam is packaging some of those Civ DLC both as bundles and individually. It's like that for me too. You still have the DLC so it doesn't matter what the store thinks.

BTW for those who just have the base Civ V but little or no DLC, the "Gold Edition upgrade" which is all DLC to date and the G&K expansion, is only $5 right now on sale.

[quote name='Motoki']It's just the way that Steam is packaging some of those Civ DLC both as bundles and individually. It's like that for me too. You still have the DLC so it doesn't matter what the store thinks.

BTW for those who just have the base Civ V but little or no DLC, the "Gold Edition upgrade" which is all DLC to date and the G&K expansion, is only $5 right now on sale.[/QUOTE]

That Gold upgrade kinda makes me wish I didn't snag G&K off GMG for $3.15. Given the number of hours I haven't sunk into Civ 5, I don't think I can justify the little stuff for $5.

here's a civ v question, and I'm pretty sure that someone always asks it as well. If I have gods and kings and the base, and it seems that the nation list is already huge, do any of the smaller dlcs actually add anything beyond new civs?

[quote name='AgentW']here's a civ v question, and I'm pretty sure that someone always asks it as well. If I have gods and kings and the base, and it seems that the nation list is already huge, do any of the smaller dlcs actually add anything beyond new civs?[/QUOTE]

new scenarios would be the big addition for a civ v fan.

[quote name='AgentW']here's a civ v question, and I'm pretty sure that someone always asks it as well. If I have gods and kings and the base, and it seems that the nation list is already huge, do any of the smaller dlcs actually add anything beyond new civs?[/QUOTE]

Most of the DLC that add new civilizations come with a new scenario. There are also some DLC that add new maps or new wonders. Some of the new civs do vary up the gameplay a little just by nature of their bonuses but there's nothing dramatic game changing in any of them like there is Gods and Kings where new gameplay elements like religion were added.

Another fine example of the madness of Greenlight....

iRacing is on Greenlight. It's a well regarded online racing sim that's hobbled by having a $5/month subscription and having to buy access to cars and such with real $$$. I want it on Steam, but I just can't bring myself to TU it until they announce a change in their pricing model. Other online non-outright buy racing sims are either just a subscription or freemium and force you to buy tracks and cars. iRacing is the worst of both pricing models.

I actually really enjoyed ACR's "portal" levels. They were clean, well done, optional, and you even unlocked multiplayer logos if you hunted around. Delving into Desmond's past was very interesting to me too.

I also think the environment of ACR was a very welcome change to the series. Rome and Italy are cool, but I got really tired of seeing the same things over and over through AC2 and ACB. Constantinople is absolutely stunning, and holds a wonderfully rich history that added a lot to the game. I agree that the tower defense missions were kind of lame, but apparently those are pretty avoidable if you set things up right. Just because there were no drastically new gameplay features to ACR doesn't mean it's a weak entry in the series... at least to this AC fan.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I actually really enjoyed ACR's "portal" levels. They were clean, well done, optional, and you even unlocked multiplayer logos if you hunted around. Delving into Desmond's past was very interesting to me too.

I also think the environment of ACR was a very welcome change to the series. Rome and Italy are cool, but I got really tired of seeing the same things over and over through AC2 and ACB. Constantinople is absolutely stunning, and holds a wonderfully rich history that added a lot to the game. I agree that the tower defense missions were kind of lame, but apparently those are pretty avoidable if you set things up right. Just because there were no drastically new gameplay features to ACR doesn't mean it's a weak entry in the series... at least to this AC fan.[/QUOTE]
I actually just finished the SP for ACR.
Took around 19 hours and 43 mins, according to Raptr.

Well, sure - ACR is better than AC1.
But, that's about it.
ACR is nowhere as great as AC2 + ACB, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back