The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='melted77']When you're premium you get 5 free card drops. I've sold 4 so far since I don't think I'm going to be doing this whole collecting thing.

edit
To clarify it. You need cash in your steam wallet to buy an item from the Mann Co Store. Buy the cheapest thing ($0.49) and you get upgraded in TF2 to premium which opens 5 card drops. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

*sigh* well I guess I'm gonna be joining the idling club if I only have to spend $0.49:roll:

Oh cool, I didn't bother playing Dota 2 since I got it last year from the register key I got for very cheap and notice it actually the premium version. So time to get more cards.

[quote name='melted77']I just checked my Dota 2 and under DLC it's listed as Premium DLC. :O Looks like I'm going to be wasting more time idling.[/QUOTE]

Don't get too excited. Mine's listed as premium, but I'm unable to get any drops.

[quote name='Tsel']Don't get too excited. Mine's listed as premium, but I'm unable to get any drops.[/QUOTE]

Likewise. However, I "bought" the beta in the marketpalce for .03; I never got invited into the beta - in my card profile, DOTA isn't even listed.

[quote name='asheskitty']Uh, oh... now everyone's going to change to Pokemon avatars...[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, I'm adding glasses to my Wobbuffet.

IN BEFORE IT WAS COOL.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I did not just spend $7 getting all the missing cards for Portal 2 and Don't Starve.

I didn't, damnit.

:wall:[/QUOTE]

They got you

lol

I just find it amazing that even on a site like this, which is dedicated to people being cheapasses, and where people routinely participate in group buys to save an extra buck on a game or reduce the cost of an indie bundle, people are spending money on profile upgrades. If the card system is having that affect on a good many people here, imagine how successful it is amongst the general populace.

[quote name='The End']lol

I just find it amazing that even on a site like this, which is dedicated to people being cheapasses, and where people routinely participate in group buys to save an extra buck on a game or reduce the cost of an indie bundle, people are spending money on profile upgrades. If the card system is having that affect on a good many people here, imagine how successful it is amongst the general populace.[/QUOTE]

:hot:

I just find it amazing that even on a site like this, which is dedicated to people being cheapasses, and where people routinely participate in group buys to save an extra buck on a game or reduce the cost of an indie bundle, people are spending money on profile upgrades. If the card system is having that affect on a good many people here, imagine how successful it is amongst the general populace.[/QUOTE]

It's okay. I'll get my self-esteem back somehow.

The good news is I'm selling ever "prize" I've gotten from crafting badges so buy the background I want and make a little profit. It's a cute system. I think in the end it'll cost me $5 for the two badges and the background I want. It amuses me.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Hey. Didn't say I was a cheap whore.

;)[/QUOTE]

Then you'll get the 7 back AND be able to purchase the cards for the rest of the badges!

I save a few bucks on PC games so I can have more money to import console games. :cry:

I've spent about £3-4 in total to get all cards I wanted (skipping Half-Life 2 and don't qualify for Dota 2). It was a fun little exercise, I had a few tabs open at one point and kept refreshing to see if I could get any "bargains". I snagged a Portal 2 card for 5p below market price - score!

I've sold most of the gubbins that came with crafting (backgrounds, emoticons) and picked up a 50% coupon for Evoland which I've used already.

It's been a fun little exercise. Didn't break the bank to pick up what I wanted and it was a cheap thrill to see if I got any decent "loot"*.

* - I didn't.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I spent a few bucks too. I really just want to get to level 10 so I can get the achievement showcase...[/QUOTE]

I'm level 10 and I don't see the achievement showcase option. All kinds of other ones though. Am I looking at the wrong thing? :p

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I spent a few bucks too. I really just want to get to level 10 so I can get the achievement showcase...[/QUOTE]

I suppose that would be a valid thing to use the cards to get.

I hadn't really thought about that aspect of all this, as I feel like most of the steam regulars I know started off at around level 10-11.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']What gets you EXP? I've been on Steam for two years and try to get all the badges during sales but I was only level 6.[/QUOTE]

completing badges is it at the moment. I'm only level 4 (somehow it says I've been on steam 3 years, not sure how that happened). I hope they add achievement support like everyone wants, that would be very addicting:joystick:

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Why get 1 showcase when you can get 2 showcases at level 20?[/QUOTE]
You need 20 badges to get from lvl 10 to lvl 20.

[quote name='Detruire']You need 20 badges to get from lvl 10 to lvl 20.[/QUOTE]

Depends on progress during the Winter Sale / Summer Sale / Golden Potato / Steam Years / Scavenger Hunt.

Max Years is 9 = 450 exp. Hat of UW&R = 100 exp. Perfect Steam Holiday/Summer sales = 200 exp each. Potato Sack = 200 exp.

I also don't know what you mean by 20 badges, the max number of badges is 14 (not including Valve/Developer/Foil Badges (LOL))

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Depends on progress during the Winter Sale / Summer Sale / Golden Potato / Steam Years / Scavenger Hunt.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't depend on any of that. If you're at lvl 10 you need to upgrade/complete 20 badges to reach lvl 20.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']

I also don't know what you mean by 20 badges, the max number of badges is 14 (not including Valve/Developer/Foil Badges (LOL))[/QUOTE]

Each card badge can be upgraded 4 times by collecting another full set.

So while there are 6 card badges, you can get 500 experience from each, making those 6 card badges potentially worth that of 30 badges.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Each card badge can be upgraded 4 times by collecting another full set.

So while there are 6 card badges, you can get 500 experience from each, making those 6 card badges potentially worth that of 30 badges.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that. My point was that you can get 1,550 exp from getting "perfects" on every prior event (8 total) that I listed. You'd only need 1,450 exp to get to level 20 (3,000 exp) = max out only 3 games or 15 times. You could potentially get from lvl 1 to lvl 20 in 23 badges total; it just depends on the number of exp you got from all the events in the past years.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Yeah, I know that. My point was that you can get 1,550 exp from getting "perfects" on every prior event (8 total) that I listed. You'd only need 1,450 exp to get to level 20 (3,000 exp) = max out only 3 games or 15 times. You could potentially get from lvl 1 to lvl 20 in 23 badges total; it just depends on the number of exp you got from all the events in the past years.[/QUOTE]

Sure, but I think the point that was being made was that the XP for level doubles between level 10 and level 20, so it would take 20 card badges to bridge that gap, which is a pretty absurd number.

That's not the ONLY way to do it (as you've pointed out), but most people seem to be right around level 10 or 11 from their sale/community badges, so it seems to be the way that's most viable at the moment.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Sure, but I think the point that was being made was that the XP for level doubles between level 10 and level 20, so it would take 20 card badges to bridge that gap, which is a pretty absurd number.

That's not the ONLY way to do it (as you've pointed out), but most people seem to be right around level 10 or 11 from their sale/community badges, so it seems to be the way that's most viable at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it was the contention of Detruire's reply that progress during the Winter Sale / Summer Sale / Golden Potato / Steam Years / Scavenger Hunt doesn't matter - that's simply not true.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']I agree, it was the contention of Detruire's reply that progress during the Winter Sale / Summer Sale / Golden Potato / Steam Years / Scavenger Hunt doesn't matter - that's simply not true.[/QUOTE]
It is true. None of that progress affects how many badges you'd need to get from level 10 to level 20 (in other words: starting at level 10 and ending at level 20.)

[quote name='Detruire']It is true. None of that progress affects how many badges you'd need to get from level 10 to level 20 (in other words: starting at level 10 and ending at level 20.)[/QUOTE]

He's saying not all badges are 100XP.

Years of Service is 50XP per year and Potato Sack is 200XP, I believe.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Why get 1 showcase when you can get 2 showcases at level 20?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Detruire']You need 20 badges to get from lvl 10 to lvl 20.[/QUOTE]

Put bluntly: the reason that someone without a showcase ("why get 1 showcase" ⇒ doesn't already have access to one) would settle for one - rather than two - is because they would need 20 additional badges to gain access to the second.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I did not just spend $7 getting all the missing cards for Portal 2 and Don't Starve.

I didn't, damnit.

:wall:[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel, I spent $18 on trading cards today. I did sell a couple of cards and got $2 back and I still have a Pyro foil card and a Portal 2 foil card for sale which should get me my money back (hopefully)

[quote name='louiedog']Free Steam codes for Penny Arcade’s On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I got one but I have no idea what my Steam account is called. I set it up way back when for Portal 2 (free Steam copy from the PS3 version). But every and all email/account I have tried does not work. I have no email in my history (which goes back 10+ years) referring to it either. It is a complete mystery. I could sign up anew I suppose, but I'd like to get that Portal 2 game back..

I set my son up with a Steam account Saturday after portioning part of our iMac using Boot Camp as a PC (since most of the games he wants are PC-only). Then I went to get Terraria for $3-whatever like it says in the OP but it was back to $9.99 already. Boo OP. So are their sales just for a few days or something?

And you have all completely lost me with this talk of trading cards. It's like a different language or something.

[quote name='Eldredpe']He's saying not all badges are 100XP.

Years of Service is 50XP per year and Potato Sack is 200XP, I believe.[/QUOTE]
All of those badges/XP would contribute to the starting level - they have no effect on the additional badges/XP required to reach level 20 today, starting at level 10.

[quote name='io']Thanks - I got one but I have no idea what my Steam account is called. I set it up way back when for Portal 2 (free Steam copy from the PS3 version). But every and all email/account I have tried does not work. I have no email in my history (which goes back 10+ years) referring to it either. It is a complete mystery. I could sign up anew I suppose, but I'd like to get that Portal 2 game back..

I set my son up with a Steam account Saturday after portioning part of our iMac using Boot Camp as a PC (since most of the games he wants are PC-only). Then I went to get Terraria for $3-whatever like it says in the OP but it was back to $9.99 already. Boo OP. So are their sales just for a few days or something?

And you have all completely lost me with this talk of trading cards. It's like a different language or something.[/QUOTE]
Sales range from a day to a week, really. I believe you can see how long the sale is running for when you go onto the game page.

[quote name='io']I got one but I have no idea what my Steam account is called. I set it up way back when for Portal 2 (free Steam copy from the PS3 version). But every and all email/account I have tried does not work. I have no email in my history (which goes back 10+ years) referring to it either. It is a complete mystery. I could sign up anew I suppose, but I'd like to get that Portal 2 game back..[/QUOTE]
There's a PSN sign-in button on the client (this page may be useful too.)

[quote name='io']Thanks - I got one but I have no idea what my Steam account is called. I set it up way back when for Portal 2 (free Steam copy from the PS3 version). But every and all email/account I have tried does not work. I have no email in my history (which goes back 10+ years) referring to it either. It is a complete mystery. I could sign up anew I suppose, but I'd like to get that Portal 2 game back..

And you have all completely lost me with this talk of trading cards. It's like a different language or something.[/QUOTE]

never trust the OP, you'll be lucky to see it updated a few times a month (I'm being hypocritical of course, since it's a wiki and I could do it myself). Steam just has too many sales, and ain't nobody got time to update that!

[quote name='Detruire']There's a PSN sign-in button on the client (this page may be useful too.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm getting an option to sign in with my PSN account but it is treating it like a new account. I know I did it before as my son played Portal 2 on the Mac using this method... I wonder if the account expires if you don't use it for a few years or something.

Crap: just figured it out... My son used his PSN account when signing up. So it is "psn_my_sons_account" and thus the missing emails from Steam must have gone to his email (which he never reads). I used his PSN password to sign in and now it wants a key from the email (since I'm using a new computer). Can I change the Steam account name after the fact? If not, I guess I'll just sign up as a new account and forget about Portal 2 ;).

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']never trust the OP, you'll be lucky to see it updated a few times a month (I'm being hypocritical of course, since it's a wiki and I could do it myself). Steam just has too many sales, and ain't nobody got time to update that![/QUOTE]

I was attempting to do it and did it daily for about 3 weeks recently, but have let it go in the last week or two because nobody seemed to use it or care.

I don't mind updating it, but does anyone really look at it?

[quote name='Eldredpe']I was attempting to do it and did it daily for about 3 weeks recently, but have let it go in the last week or two because nobody seemed to use it or care.

I don't mind updating it, but does anyone really look at it?[/QUOTE]

obviously a few like io do, but I've just gotten used to clicking the specials tab and checking the latest page here. IMO it's way more trouble than it's worth.

[quote name='io']Crap: just figured it out... My son used his PSN account when signing up. So it is "psn_my_sons_account" and thus the missing emails from Steam must have gone to his email (which he never reads). I used his PSN password to sign in and now it wants a key from the email (since I'm using a new computer). Can I change the Steam account name after the fact? If not, I guess I'll just sign up as a new account and forget about Portal 2 ;).[/QUOTE]
You can change display name, but not the username (or linked PSN account.)

^ Hmmm... I'll have to think about that then. I might just start over before I obtain any sort of collection beyond Portal 2.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']obviously a few like io do, but I've just gotten used to clicking the specials tab and checking the latest page here. IMO it's way more trouble than it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not a big deal. I am new to all this (and so never before accessed the sales page on Steam itself) and saw the great price on Terraria and my son was super-excited about it since he plays it a lot on the 360 and wanted it on the PC because it can use mods. So it was pretty disappointing to see an "updated" date of 5/14 with Terraria being on sale but on 5/18 it was no longer that price. I figured it would be for the week at least.

So I was more frustrated that I told my son about it and told him I'd get it and then it wasn't on sale. And, being the CAG that I am, I simply cannot buy it until it hits that price again (I did buy it for full price on the 360 already so that's even more reason not to spend full price on the PC). Hopefully it goes on sale again soon.

I know that there have been all sorts of crazy Steam sales - but of course this very week that I signed us both up, there doesn't appear to be any good sales ;).

[quote name='io']^ Hmmm... I'll have to think about that then. I might just start over before I obtain any sort of collection beyond Portal 2.

Well, it's not a big deal. I am new to all this (and so never before accessed the sales page on Steam itself) and saw the great price on Terraria and my son was super-excited about it since he plays it a lot on the 360 and wanted it on the PC because it can use mods. So it was pretty disappointing to see an "updated" date of 5/14 with Terraria being on sale but on 5/18 it was no longer that price. I figured it would be for the week at least.

So I was more frustrated that I told my son about it and told him I'd get it and then it wasn't on sale. And, being the CAG that I am, I simply cannot buy it until it hits that price again (I did buy it for full price on the 360 already so that's even more reason not to spend full price on the PC). Hopefully it goes on sale again soon.

I know that there have been all sorts of crazy Steam sales - but of course this very week that I signed us both up, there doesn't appear to be any good sales ;).[/QUOTE]

Well luckily Terarria goes on sale a ton, and usually it's for better than what it was ($2.49 typically). Summer sale is coming, and it will most definitely be on sale:D Just for proof:

http://www.steamsales.rhekua.com/view.php?steam_type=app&steam_id=105600

[quote name='io']I know that there have been all sorts of crazy Steam sales - but of course this very week that I signed us both up, there doesn't appear to be any good sales ;).[/QUOTE]Steam sales in general have been below-par for the past 6 months or so. Amazon (digital download part), Green Man Gaming, and GamersGate have had better non-indie-game sales lately.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I was attempting to do it and did it daily for about 3 weeks recently, but have let it go in the last week or two because nobody seemed to use it or care.

I don't mind updating it, but does anyone really look at it?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to bring this up again, but updating the OP is completely pointless without someone dedicated to updating the TITLE when there are good sales. And PMing Eastx every time is not a solution. How long have we had this soda wars crap in the title?

People don't bother checking the OP because of it. This just seems like a general OT thread than a real sales thread.

I would really love for someone else to be OP to fix this because when you actually have the ability to put something like "Terraria $3.39 Weekend Sale (ends 05/18/13)" in the title then you will actually have people clicking through and using the links in the OP, otherwise it's just wasted effort.

I really don't get why someone insists on being the OP on something when they don't even bother to regularly update the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back