The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Junpei']I'm sorry if I dare to bring again games up in this thread, but I just noticed that Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD is 66% off right now... did someone tried it? I like my iPhone version pretty much, how did the PC port went?[/QUOTE]
I bought it via GMG and played all of 20 minutes of it. It didn't grab me in any way, felt a bit shallow I think. If there's a decent game to be had I'll need to revisit it but nothing caught my interest at all to be honest.

I'd YouTube it if you're keen, but my gut reaction says avoid.

[quote name='Flowette']I bought it via GMG and played all of 20 minutes of it. It didn't grab me in any way, felt a bit shallow I think. If there's a decent game to be had I'll need to revisit it but nothing caught my interest at all to be honest.

I'd YouTube it if you're keen, but my gut reaction says avoid.[/QUOTE]

Yes i would say avoid

Thank you guys, this was exactly my doubt: while it has its undeniable impact on a mobile device, I thought that it wouldn't be the same on PC since it is not as complex as a freespace/trading simulator nor is a frantic arcadey shooter... man, how I wish Lucasarts would give me an X-Wing/Tie-Fighter remake...

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']I've never had the issue, but I'll look into it for a bit. Initial findings point towards an issue on Steam's side though...

EDIT: Stupid question, but have you insured these steps were followed....just making sure... Also, have you tried running Steam while not connected to the Internet?[/QUOTE]

I went through that checklist and confirmed that I did everything as I am supposed to. So I guess we can eliminate that as the possibility. Thanks anyway.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Also, any reason you can't just simply exit Steam if you switch from Desktop to Laptop?[/QUOTE]

Well that's what I'm doing now. But it just gets to be a pain in the ass after a while. If I could just set my Laptop to offline mode, I'd only need to sign in after I reboot my laptop. Which I only do every week to 10 days, or so.

[quote name='Flowette']It sounds silly but I think you need to be online first in order to go offline. If you're in an area without Internet connection, you can't just load Steam up and expect it to work.

Steps:
1) connect to Steam while online
2) set to "Offline Mode"
3) re-boot Steam

That way you can be offline (for example, on your laptop while traveling) without problems. The key is to be prepared in advance.

It's not a great system, I agree. But if you plan ahead it's manageable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've done all that. It doesn't work. :(

Thanks anyway.

[quote name='Razorfish']I used to have problems with accessing Steam's offline mode, but then I discovered that it was because I had the "Don't save account credentials on this computer" option in Steam > Settings checked. Do you have that option disabled?[/QUOTE]

I have the box unchecked. Which I'm pretty sure is how I should have it. So I guess that's not the problem either. Thanks anyway.

[quote name='Detruire']I have... but only when I've tried it to see if it works at all. The few times that I've wanted to use it, it hasn't worked.[/QUOTE]

Well, at least I know I'm not alone. Though it sounds like I'm in the minority on this. Perhaps I better ask for help over on SPUF.

I just finished Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People episode 1. I really enjoyed it! I'd say I was only a medium-level fan of the original website, but I found the game charming and loved the old school Sierra-adventure style gameplay. Between this game and Walking Dead, I am rapidly becoming a huge fan of Telltale.

On the Steam offline mode I used to have issues with it until the summer when they pushed a patch. Then I and a number of other people I read comments from seem to do fine with it. I also still see comments from people who have problems with it. There's things you can try like what the others suggested but if you've done all that and it still doesn't work then it seems to be a YMMV sort of thing unfortunately.

For all the areas that UPlay still needs to catch up to Steam, one area they have them beat is in the easy no shenanigans offline mode that you can even just set to default to every time.

re: Galaxy on Fire 2
[quote name='Flowette']I bought it via GMG and played all of 20 minutes of it. It didn't grab me in any way, felt a bit shallow I think. If there's a decent game to be had I'll need to revisit it but nothing caught my interest at all to be honest.

I was also kind of meh on it but I did get it cheap so no big deal I guess.

I keep waiting for one of those space games to really grab me but so far it hasn't happened.

There's a bunch of people raving about Stardrive which just got added as a pre-order with instant beta access a few days ago, but man I don't know if I can spend $25 only to have Hopes Deleted again.

I guess it's just wishlisted for now. Plus it's published by Iceberg and there stuff has been ending up in bundles lately so it may get there...eventually.

Steam's offline mode sucks. There's no excuse for it either, it's entirely hit or miss and the fact you have to pre-plan in order to use (and it still never works for me either) is complete BS. No reason for it to be like that either.

[quote name='The End']
Yeah, I've done all that. It doesn't work. :(

Thanks anyway.
[/QUOTE]
Then it's clear you've done something to upset the Steam gods. Perhaps you had a ticket answered within 742 hours, got into Half Life 3 Beta or successfully withdrew cash from your Steam Wallet?

It's a clear that a sacrifice is in order. A bloody one.

(I'd recommend Mooby, he hasn't posted today so there's a chance that he's asleep and you can chloroform him with little or no fuss)

[quote name='Idiotekque']My first impressions review on Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army:
"Admittedly, this game does not have the best third-person-shooter mechanics out there. You can vault over some obstacles and not others, picking up ammo by walking near it doesn't always pick everything up, the cover system is clunky and mostly useless, etc. The graphics are also very, very poorly optimized at the time of this review. I have an NVidia 680M (quite a powerful card, able to play Battlefield 3 completely maxed out at 45-60FPS), and if I set all the graphics settings on and to maximum on this game, the FPS crawls at under 20FPS. Even turning off the extra graphic features like the super-sampling (the buggiest setting on the game), ambient occlusion, etc, my game will still only run at 60FPS sometimes, while it drops down to as low as 30FPS sometimes.

So with all of those complaints, why did I still rate the game at 4 stars? Simple, it's good fun played with friends. The gameplay is simple enough, you just are trying to get from point A to point B, while fending off zombies, clearing them out, holding down your position while they "siege" you, and taking out boss enemies at the ends of levels sometimes. While most of the enemies are dumb, shambling zombies, you'll fight a lot smarter and more dangerous enemies as you go along. There is a large enough selection of weapons to make up your load-out (sniper rifle, automatic rifle/shotgun, pistol), as well as a variety of grenades and mines, to keep things fresh and let you experiment with your style as well.

Be sure to try the game out in single player too though if you want to experience the awesome "x-ray bullet cam" shots that are kind of the Sniper series trademark. Very cool, very fun.

In closing, awesome game, difficult, fun with friends, but naturally lacking in some aspects. Pick it up!"
[/QUOTE]

Just FYI, framerate in BF3 multiplayer is strongly dependent on the CPU.

[quote name='The End']Question. Has anybody here ever successfully managed to go into "offline mode" on steam? It never, never, never works for me. It's frustrating as hell because I keep having to log in when I switch between my desktop & my Laptop.
Every time I try it, I get hit with this message.

I click on the link mentioned in the quote above, and I see that there's nothing wrong with the steam network. And I don't know what that BS is about there being no login info on this computer. You need to have been logged in first to try to go into "Offline Mode". So there is login info on the computer.
[/QUOTE]

It often/usually works for me (Mac & PC). Auto-login, save credentials, gotta go in to offline mode while online. I keep my laptops (MBA and some $300 dual-bootin Dell) in offline mode (and take them online occasionally to update/install). IIRC some games just don't like offline mode. I remember Crusader Kings II, Civ IV, & Borderlands 2 (along with a whole handful of indie games) working in offline mode.

[quote name='Flowette']It sounds silly but I think you need to be online first in order to go offline.
If you're in an area without Internet connection, you can't just load Steam up and expect it to work.

Steps:
1) connect to Steam while online
2) set to "Offline Mode"
3) re-boot Steam

That way you can be offline (for example, on your laptop while traveling) without problems. The key is to be prepared in advance.
It's not a great system, I agree. But if you plan ahead it's manageable.[/QUOTE]

I started keeping mine in offline mode after failing to remember to go offline ahead of time.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Steam's offline mode sucks. There's no excuse for it either, it's entirely hit or miss and the fact you have to pre-plan in order to use (and it still never works for me either) is complete BS. No reason for it to be like that either.[/QUOTE]

I agree the need to pre-plan sucks (I with they'd just cache my credentials), my bigger issue is that it doesn't always work. There's too much overbelief in an always-connected world.

[quote name='asheskitty'] I remember Crusader Kings II, Civ IV, & Borderlands 2 (along with a whole handful of indie games) working in offline mode.
[/QUOTE]

Crusader Kings II doesn't use Steam as DRM, so that should work regardless.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Crusader Kings II doesn't use Steam as DRM, so that should work regardless.[/QUOTE]

This is something a lot of people don't realize because many think of Steam itself as DRM. There are quite a few games out there that have no copy protection on Steam. You can launch the .exe from the game folder and play just fine for these titles. Now, you won't get achievements, although I suppose some might unlock when you load up the game again in Steam depending on how they check the achievement progress.

In my experience it's mostly indies. As far as I can tell games made with Adventure Game Studio don't have Steam DRM, probably because of the engine, because all of my Wadjet Eye games work that way. I think Wizorb also works and maybe Faerie Solitaire? It's been awhile since I've checked and I've only done so on my underpowered laptop.

If anyone finds themself on a plane without a functioning offline mode like I have and need something to kill a few hours go into the steamapps folder and try launching some indies.

I'm aware some games don't use steam DRM, I just usually haven't bothered to figure which ones don't. Interesting that CK2 doesn't, not surprising since it's either steam or DRM-FREE (on GG). Fortunately I'm most likely to be playing indie games on my laptop (due to GPU constraints and genres that play well with trackpad/keyboard).

Wait, so Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD 66% off ($6.80) from earlier is the daily? Weird.

Weeklong Deals:

Arcania
Cargo Commander
Frontline Tactics
Endless Space
Left 4 Dead series - 75% off (4.99 each, $14.99 4-packs, $7.49 for both)
Jet Set Radio - 75% off ($2.49)
Rochard
F1 2012 - 66% off ($13.59)
F1 Race Stars - 75% off ($9.99) Track DLC is 33% off ($3.34)

[quote name='louiedog']This is something a lot of people don't realize because many think of Steam itself as DRM. There are quite a few games out there that have no copy protection on Steam. You can launch the .exe from the game folder and play just fine for these titles. [spoNow, you won't get achievements, although I suppose some might unlock when you load up the game again in Steam depending on how they check the achievement progress.

In my experience it's mostly indies. As far as I can tell games made with Adventure Game Studio don't have Steam DRM, probably because of the engine, because all of my Wadjet Eye games work that way. I think Wizorb also works and maybe Faerie Solitaire? It's been awhile since I've checked and I've only done so on my underpowered laptop.

If anyone finds themself on a plane without a functioning offline mode like I have and need something to kill a few hours go into the steamapps folder and try launching some indies.[/QUOTE]

Someone made a list on GOG of DRM free games on Steam.

I'm not sure how up to date it is because it hasn't been edited since November but it's at least a starting point. You are right that it's mostly indies though. It doesn't have some AGS stuff up there so those probably are as well like you pointed out.

I'd imagine RPG Maker (which I think at this point just consists of To The Moon) wouldn't require Steam either. I had heard it rumored that the delay in release was to try to incorporate some Steamworks elements into that game but ultimately the developer was not able to.

[quote name='OP']
Apparently someone still says pop instead of soda :O

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the entire state of ohio

[quote name='Motoki']Someone made a list on GOG of DRM free games on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm going to put a copy of that on my dropbox now and make sure I have a decent number of those installed on my laptop this evening. It should be pretty handy.

YES! The first decent sale on F1 2012!!!! :bouncy: This is the first time it's been less than twenty-something. (or 2010 / 2011 for that matter)
It has a demo on steam as well (2010, 2011 didn't)

F1 RaceStars reviews were unflattering, painting it as a kart racer without any hook, that doesn't excel in any area. The 17 user-stars on metacritic are more positive about it though (62 vs 7.6). I'd be more tempted if I didn't just pickup Sonic All-Stars Trasformed, and F1 RaceStars didn't have $22 of DLC for a $10 sale game.

[quote name='asheskitty']YES! The first decent sale on F1 2012!!!! :bouncy: This is the first time it's been less than twenty-something. (or 2010 / 2011 for that matter)

F1 RaceStars reviews were unflattering, painting it as a kart racer without any hook, that doesn't excel in any area. The 17 user-stars on metacritic are more positive about it though (62 vs 7.6). I'd be more tempted if I didn't just pickup Sonic All-Stars Trasformed, and F1 RaceStars didn't have $22 of DLC for a $10 sale game.[/QUOTE]

I was actually just going to ask our resident racing game expert about these games. If you do get one or both please report back. ;)

I'm kind of the same on the RaceStars one though. Looks cute but I just got Sonic Transformed so getting this now would be a bit redundant I think.

[quote name='Motoki']
I'm kind of the same on the RaceStars one though. Looks cute but I just got Sonic Transformed so getting this now would be a bit redundant I think.[/QUOTE]

I was contemplating F1 RaceStars, but not liking the $10 price tag. Thanks for reminding me of Sonic Transformed which I have yet to buy and most assuredly will like better.

[quote name='Genocidal']GreenManGaming has Resident Evil 5 for $4 after the 20% discount code (GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS).[/QUOTE]
I've played it before in coop, and it was fun, but how is the partner AI? Is it worth playing if I'm just going to play alone?

It's been mentioned above that today's daily is Galaxy on Fire 2. My question,is it worth it? It looks like a fun action type game (it's obviously not a simulator). It looks kind of similar to the rail shooter from Star Wars: The Old Republic but a bit more free roaming.

So anyone have opinions on it?

[quote name='plft']I've played it before in coop, and it was fun, but how is the partner AI? Is it worth playing if I'm just going to play alone?[/QUOTE]

The AI isn't very good, and she'll frequently get stuck on enemies, the environment, get killed, etc. I played solo until an oil rig or something where there are flamethrowers and chainsaw bosses, and she kept dying on me. You have to order her around most of the time for her to be useful. The AI also runs directly into danger, and it's difficult to cover her when you split up during an event. It's much, much better playing with another person.

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men product keys from cdaction.pl work with retail copies of Resident Evil 5, by the way.

[quote name='Angelwatch']It's been mentioned above that today's daily is Galaxy on Fire 2. My question,is it worth it? It looks like a fun action type game (it's obviously not a simulator). It looks kind of similar to the rail shooter from Star Wars: The Old Republic but a bit more free roaming.

So anyone have opinions on it?[/QUOTE]

There was some discussion on the previous page. Normally I'd think, "why can't people be bothered to look for themselves?" but it's rare that the daily goes up early and I myself wouldn't think to look for discussion on it from so far before the 10 AM PST daily deal switchover.

See below:

[quote name='granturismo']Yes i would say avoid[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']
re: Galaxy on Fire 2

I was also kind of meh on it but I did get it cheap so no big deal I guess.

I keep waiting for one of those space games to really grab me but so far it hasn't happened. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='louiedog']Wait, so Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD 66% off ($6.80) from earlier is the daily? Weird.

Weeklong Deals:

Arcania
Cargo Commander
Frontline Tactics
Endless Space
Left 4 Dead series - 75% off (4.99 each, $14.99 4-packs, $7.49 for both)
Jet Set Radio - 75% off ($2.49)
Rochard
F1 2012 - 66% off ($13.59)
F1 Race Stars - 75% off ($9.99) Track DLC is 33% off ($3.34)[/QUOTE]

Oh man, F1 Race Stars multiplayer is reported on the forums as DOA, what a shame, looked so mario kartesque, ah well, at least I'm having a great time with Sonic Racing Transformed

[quote name='louiedog']There was some discussion on the previous page. Normally I'd think, "why can't people be bothered to look for themselves?" but it's rare that the daily goes up early and I myself wouldn't think to look for discussion on it from so far before the 10 AM PST daily deal switchover.

See below:[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I had no idea it went up early. I always assume that the new deal is at 1pm (est) when there's not sale going on.

OK, Sounds like it's best to avoid it at this point. Maybe once it goes $4 or below I'll revisit it then.

[quote name='OP']Apparently someone still says pop instead of soda :O[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cimpy101']Yeah, the entire state of ohio[/QUOTE]
It's also prevalent in Oregon, or at least the cities I've lived in. (And by proxy, the people i've interacted with)

[quote name='asheskitty']YES! The first decent sale on F1 2012!!!! :bouncy: This is the first time it's been less than twenty-something. (or 2010 / 2011 for that matter)

F1 RaceStars reviews were unflattering, painting it as a kart racer without any hook, that doesn't excel in any area. The 17 user-stars on metacritic are more positive about it though (62 vs 7.6). I'd be more tempted if I didn't just pickup Sonic All-Stars Trasformed, and F1 RaceStars didn't have $22 of DLC for a $10 sale game.[/QUOTE]

Be aware F1 2012 will be a little cheaper at $12.79 if the 20% discount (GFDMAR20) still works on Mar. 15 from Gamefly. Posting F1 Race Stars price as well but it sounds like that game is not worth it but maybe someone will want it at $8.

3-15 to 3-17
F1 2012 - $15.99 (orig. $39.99) (Steam)
F1 Race Stars - $9.99 (orig. $39.99) (Steam)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339732

[quote name='Blade']The AI isn't very good, and she'll frequently get stuck on enemies, the environment, get killed, etc. I played solo until an oil rig or something where there are flamethrowers and chainsaw bosses, and she kept dying on me. You have to order her around most of the time for her to be useful. The AI also runs directly into danger, and it's difficult to cover her when you split up during an event. It's much, much better playing with another person.

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men product keys from cdaction.pl work with retail copies of Resident Evil 5, by the way.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like it's not worth it then, I'll avoid. And older GFWL keys weren't game specific, worked on any game up to a certain point.

[quote name='Daykain']Be aware F1 2012 will be a little cheaper at $12.79 if the 20% discount (GFDMAR20) still works on Mar. 15 from Gamefly. Posting F1 Race Stars price as well but it sounds like that game is not worth it but maybe someone will want it at $8.

3-15 to 3-17
F1 2012 - $15.99 (orig. $39.99) (Steam)
F1 Race Stars - $9.99 (orig. $39.99) (Steam)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339732[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on that. $0.80 cheaper if you haven't used GFDMAR20 yet (GameFly codes are usually single-use). I've seen some indications that the code should be good till 20 March.

I hesitate to speculate on F1 2012 sales in the future, since the series just hadn't seen any notable sales* till now, however there's always room for it to hit 75% off or get a matching or better sale on GG (and use your 20%er code of privilege). I hope to give the demo a proper spin today or tomorrow and pick it up right after (I'm traveling this weekend, so I'd rather pay $0.80 and avoid possibly missing it).

*small lie, I think 2010 hit this price briefly on the summer sale a few years back, but I missed it then

[quote name='asheskitty']Thanks for the heads up on that. $0.80 cheaper if you haven't used GFDMAR20 yet (GameFly codes are usually single-use). I've seen some indications that the code should be good till 20 March.

I hesitate to speculate on F1 2012 sales in the future, since the series just hadn't seen any notable sales* till now, however there's always room for it to hit 75% off or get a matching or better sale on GG (and use your 20%er code of privilege). I hope to give the demo a proper spin today or tomorrow and pick it up right after (I'm traveling this weekend, so I'd rather pay $0.80 and avoid possibly missing it).

*small lie, I think 2010 hit this price briefly on the summer sale a few years back, but I missed it then[/QUOTE]

Codemasters in general seems to be a bit on the chintzy side with their sales but with the with Racestars hitting 75% off for this weekly sale maybe that will change.

Really though I'd like to see a MSRP drop on these F1 games too.

Looks like the Gothic games are also on sale (along with Arcania) for $2.50 each. Any opinions on them? I know they're older games -- has Gothic 2 held up over the years? Would Gothic 3 be worth getting, once the community patch is applied? Which one is the best? I played a demo for Risen (made by the same developer) and mostly enjoyed it.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']Looks like the Gothic games are also on sale (along with Arcania) for $2.50 each. Any opinions on them? I know they're older games -- has Gothic 2 held up over the years? Would Gothic 3 be worth getting, once the community patch is applied? Which one is the best? I played a demo for Risen (made by the same developer) and mostly enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

I think Gothic 2 (with the Night of the Raven expansion which I think is the only way you can get it at this point anyway) is not only the best of the series but one of the best RPGs period. That seems to be the general consensus on the whole over the years, at least at the places I've hung out at, and the metacritic scores (critic and user) seem to bear this out.

The down side is, it's ugly. Not quite Gothic 1 ugly but it was in that period of early 3D polygonal games that have not aged well at all.

The other thing is it's Piranha Bytes combat. You either love it or hate it. I'm closer to the hate side and find it really stiff and rigid but the rest of the game in terms of story and characters and quests and so forth are so good that I just dealt with it.

It's also hard in the beginning which is another PB signature.

Unknown Worlds lost a bunch of money from credit card charge back fees after people used stolen cards to purchase and resell Natural Selection 2 Steam keys. The people who bought and redeemed them had their keys revoked. The shady sites pocketed the money. It's something to think about when someone posts a link to a shady key site.

PA Report

[quote name='Motoki']I was actually just going to ask our resident racing game expert about these games. If you do get one or both please report back. ;)

I'm kind of the same on the RaceStars one though. Looks cute but I just got Sonic Transformed so getting this now would be a bit redundant I think.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hal']I was contemplating F1 RaceStars, but not liking the $10 price tag. Thanks for reminding me of Sonic Transformed which I have yet to buy and most assuredly will like better.[/QUOTE]

Picked up Sonic Racing Transformed from GMG for $12 over the weekend. Put in a couple hours last night and I have to say I'm really pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. The first one kind of let me down, picked it up for the 360 cheap and I just wasn't digging the track design that much and control felt a little clunky. This one has fixed that in a big way with lots of variations between laps and the tracks look leaps and bounds better. Control feels tight throughout, though the jet parts feel a little slower than driving and the boats could be a little more Hydro Thunder-y, but they don't really drag things down. Seems like there is a ton of content to unlock too which can cut both ways, but I like it as a motivation to keep playing. It'll no doubt be cheaper by the time the Summer Sale rolls around, but I'd say it's very much worth $12.

[quote name='louiedog']Unknown Worlds lost a bunch of money from credit card charge back fees after people used stolen cards to purchase and resell Natural Selection 2 Steam keys. The people who bought and redeemed them had their keys revoked. The shady sites pocketed the money. It's something to think about when someone posts a link to a shady key site.

PA Report[/QUOTE]

I wondered why so many of those keys showed up on SG for a while.

RE: Gothic, the older games in the series have notable issues working on modern systems, so if you're interested, plan on some troubleshooting. Gothic 1 especially.

[quote name='Motoki']I think Gothic 2 (with the Night of the Raven expansion which I think is the only way you can get it at this point anyway) is not only the best of the series but one of the best RPGs period. That seems to be the general consensus on the whole over the years, at least at the places I've hung out at, and the metacritic scores (critic and user) seem to bear this out.

The down side is, it's ugly. Not quite Gothic 1 ugly but it was in that period of early 3D polygonal games that have not aged well at all.

The other thing is it's Piranha Bytes combat. You either love it or hate it. I'm closer to the hate side and find it really stiff and rigid but the rest of the game in terms of story and characters and quests and so forth are so good that I just dealt with it.

It's also hard in the beginning which is another PB signature.[/QUOTE]
Thanks... yeah, the combat was one of the few things I didn't care for too much in the Risen demo, but I could see myself getting used to it after a while. I'm willing to put up with poor graphics in return for good gameplay, but I'd ideally like my games to look good, too (outdated is one thing, ugly is another). How would Gothic 3 compare to G2? The consensus I've seen is that G2 is a better game, but I can see that G3 looks a lot better and seems to be a very good game in its own right, once patched. Worthwhile to only get G3?

[quote name='Corpekata']RE: Gothic, the older games in the series have notable issues working on modern systems, so if you're interested, plan on some troubleshooting. Gothic 1 especially.[/QUOTE]
Good to know, thanks.

So I just got an email telling me that someone has requested a password change. Too bad it wasn't me... I should probably change my password just to be safe.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']It's also prevalent in Oregon, or at least the cities I've lived in. (And by proxy, the people i've interacted with)[/QUOTE]

It's 50/50, it just depends on where you live. The real trouble is the people that call soda/pop "coke", even if it isn't coke. That shit makes no sense.

I am tempted again by Arcania. I played the demo and liked it.. but considering I already own and haven't touched Skyrim... maybe I should wait for it to be cheaper :)

[quote name='life.exe']It's 50/50, it just depends on where you live. The real trouble is the people that call soda/pop "coke", even if it isn't coke. That shit makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

It's really no different than people who call MMA "UFC" no matter what league/federation/show it really is. I don't take offense to people who think it's silly, but it's not some irrational thing. It's due to branding/recognition. You associate a product with one brand and then refer to that product as the brand name. It's actually a concern for companies not to have that happen as they can loose their trademarks if they allow their product name to become a generic term for the product itself.

I usually just refer to the specific brand name that I want or ask someone if they want a drink (since even fast food retailers sell more than just carbonated drinks).

And I'd still rather call everything a coke than ask for a "pop" as an adult.

Played the demo of Sword of the Stars: The Pit earlier on, spent about an hour on it as I'd almost bought the damn thing after reading the spiel and looking at the screenies. I'm glad for the demo, it convinced me I didn't actually want it. It just seemed pretty repetitive to me, I know roguelikes are a niche but I've liked some of the more basic ones and this just didn't appeal to me. Well, not 10% off appeal.

If you're in the "this looks like my kind of thing!" boat, I'd totally recommend the demo on this one. It may save you a few dollars/pounds/escudos.

Also, played 15 minutes of Earth Defence Force which is in the Indie Gala Flash bundle. CRAZYGOODTIMEFUN. I want to play this with friends. It's like Starship Troopers but set on Earth.

"Remember, the only good bug is a dead bug."

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']Looks like the Gothic games are also on sale (along with Arcania) for $2.50 each. Any opinions on them? I know they're older games -- has Gothic 2 held up over the years? Would Gothic 3 be worth getting, once the community patch is applied? Which one is the best? I played a demo for Risen (made by the same developer) and mostly enjoyed it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']I think Gothic 2 (with the Night of the Raven expansion which I think is the only way you can get it at this point anyway) is not only the best of the series but one of the best RPGs period. That seems to be the general consensus on the whole over the years, at least at the places I've hung out at, and the metacritic scores (critic and user) seem to bear this out.

It's also hard in the beginning which is another PB signature.[/QUOTE]

I played Gothic 2 w/out NOTR Expansion - and while I liked G2 (Vanilla) quite a bit, I really didn't love it as much as G1.
I think that's b/c in G2 (Vanilla), A LOT of my complaints of G1 were EVEN MUCH MORE apparent to me & were on a BIGGER scale (since it's a MUCH BIGGER game in flat-out size) and a lot of issues were pretty much unchanged from the original Gothic 1; and I had other complaints. Some of my complaints included in G2 - lack of mouse-look support on combat; repetitive voice-actors noticeable on numerous main characters in the game; I didn't really like dragons story-line in the later portion of the game; had performance issues on the PC that I ran this on, back in the day; didn't like the cliffhanger ending; etc).
I really should buy R2: NOTR expansion (or G2: Gold) and play that NOTR portion, some time.

While I never finished G3 and did like it - and that was even despite it back in the day (on a decent system for its time) was bug-tastic, performance-issues galore, long load times, etc. While I did finish G1 and G2 (Vanilla), I never finished G3. G3 is REALLY huge - and I highly recommend, if you're going to play it, using the newest Unofficial Patches. Even then, still - buyer beware, in case any of these issues still remain on modern PC's.

Can't speak on G3: Forsaken Gods stand-alone expansion. I have it - but skipped it.

I do have Arcania: Gothic 4 + FOS stand-alone expansion - ain't touched them.

About PB's other franchise (which is NOT on sale on Steam right now): Risen 1 and 2 - liked 'em both quite a bit. I think Risen 1's their best RPG since the original Gothic. About Risen 2 - really liked that, too; even though it took me some time to get used to the full-blown unlocked camera. I really loved the pirates setting and thought they nailed it in Risen 2. Regardless - I really dug both Risen 1 and 2.

EDIT:
If you want Gothic + Arcania Bundle = holy crap @ those are some HUGE games and time-consuming games, if you like them.
Worth the $ easily, if you ask me - especially if you can get the older ones running nice.
Don't know if that bundle's been cheaper, though.

[quote name='Flowette']Played the demo of Sword of the Stars: The Pit earlier on, spent about an hour on it as I'd almost bought the damn thing after reading the spiel and looking at the screenies. I'm glad for the demo, it convinced me I didn't actually want it. It just seemed pretty repetitive to me, I know roguelikes are a niche but I've liked some of the more basic ones and this just didn't appeal to me. Well, not 10% off appeal.

If you're in the "this looks like my kind of thing!" boat, I'd totally recommend the demo on this one. It may save you a few dollars/pounds/escudos.

Also, played 15 minutes of Earth Defence Force which is in the Indie Gala Flash bundle. CRAZYGOODTIMEFUN. I want to play this with friends. It's like Starship Troopers but set on Earth.

"Remember, the only good bug is a dead bug."

[/QUOTE]

Hey shithead, if you ever get around to playing the first one on the console I highly recommend it. It has a different feel than the second one and a much more rewarding boss battle at the end.

I've played through both on co-op and they are great to play co-op.

I've never really been one to complain about the content of a thread, but this is ridiculous! The mods either need to clean this garbage up or just put a bullet in the entire thread.

This soda/pop crap got so deep I've been avoiding it and missed the Sleeping Dogs sale. Come on mods, really?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back