The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']Their sales are annoying. They frequently force you to bundle up.

Like right now I would probably have gotten Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena @ 80% off because the Steam version has some really heinous Tages DRM with limited activations that still has not been removed. But the the thing is this current sale is you have to pick 5 from 20 games to get the 80%.

Most I either already have or really don't want from GOG.[/QUOTE]

I concur.

Every time they have a sale on a game that I'd actually consider buying from them at a price I'm willing to pay, it's only at that price point as part of a bundle of other games that I don't want. :roll:

[quote name='Detruire']You could just check your inventory history.[/QUOTE]

Looking back, that holiday coal nonsense was crazy. I got the Sherlock Holmes collection for DOTA 2 because I already had Skyrim. People were going mad for DOTA 2 betas back then.

[quote name='Syntax Error'][quote name='Tsel']I don't know if you guys noticed, but earlier today I mentioned that I received an email letting me know that someone was attempting to reset my Steam password. Well, I just found out that someone has also gotten into my Paypal account and attempted to transfer money into their bank account. Somebody wants my games and money...[/QUOTE]I had an attempted Steam password reset last week as well. Changed up my password and looked over my mail logs to see if any weird IPs were attempting access but nothing weird aside from the Steam attempt. Checking out my Paypal now, just to be sure. Thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]

If you try to activate a key on Steam that has already been activated, there will be a button that says RETRIEVE ACCOUNT. Clicking this button will send an email to the account the key was activated on about recovering the account. If you've ever activated a key that was posted somewhere, or bought a key from a person, this can happen to you. If that's what it is, your Steam account is in no danger. Did the email look like this? imgur.com/OgrSZrh

Although, Tsel, with your PayPal trouble, you might be having something else. :(

Does anyone else kinda wish they'd stop releasing Sleeping Dogs DLC? Just when I think I have all of the ones I want, Squeenix releases another pack. Someday I'd actually like to play it (and I'm not a big fan of coming back months later to pick up a game for the sake of a DLC pack). Oh well, fortunately, I'm about be sucked into the black hole of Heart of the Swarm. . . .

[quote name='warreni']Does anyone else kinda wish they'd stop releasing Sleeping Dogs DLC? Just when I think I have all of the ones I want, Squeenix releases another pack. Someday I'd actually like to play it (and I'm not a big fan of coming back months later to pick up a game for the sake of a DLC pack). Oh well, fortunately, I'm about be sucked into the black hole of Heart of the Swarm. . . .[/QUOTE]

More to the point, there are about 10-15 DLC packs I wish they had never made. These add nothing to the game and are a kind of "pay to unlock" system. I know they can be disabled and all that, but still.

I picked up all of the dlc for the game on the epic 91% off sale. I started playing the game and thought it was pretty cool. Once I got to the point in the game where you get your own apartment, BAM everything unlocks. All of the sudden I had all of the character upgrades, all of the unlockables, overpowered abilities, etc. The game wasn't fun any more so I uninstalled and haven't played since.

Midweek Madness been disappointing since the Christmas sale. It always overpriced games or stuff that doesn't interest me.

Steam has been really glitchy for me lately in some ways. Like if I keep refreshing the Red Faction Armageddon page it alternates between showing and not showing that I own it. It's not the first game I've had this happen to either. Lately I've been having to throw stuff in the cart to see if I own it or not.

Also in few cases I've had people check my profile and go 'You don't own game X' and actually I did but it's just not registering and showing properly on my list of games under my profile.

It's only recently I've been having these issues. Before that it was no problem at all.

[quote name='warreni']Does anyone else kinda wish they'd stop releasing Sleeping Dogs DLC? Just when I think I have all of the ones I want, Squeenix releases another pack. Someday I'd actually like to play it (and I'm not a big fan of coming back months later to pick up a game for the sake of a DLC pack). Oh well, fortunately, I'm about be sucked into the black hole of Heart of the Swarm. . . .[/QUOTE]

I dislike the way DLC is handled in a lot of games. For example, Mass Effect 2 and 3. I waited a long time to play both because of it. I'd much rather have all of that stuff in my first experience with the game than play a one off mission with a new character 6 months after I complete it. I also generally don't have as much time as I like to go back through a 30 hour game to see it that way. All they do is train me to wait to buy the games when they're a much lower price because I want that best first experience.

Now, when you've got something more standalone like Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den or Red Dead's Undead Nightmare that are completely separate from the main game, but still offer an interesting twist on the things you like about it, I'm on board. Those can be enjoyed well after finishing and don't make me feel like I missed something or that they were ripped from the main story to sell me later.

Of course I'm really enjoying the Mass Effect 3: Citadel DLC right now. The tone of it is so far off what ME3 offered that it wouldn't make sense to play it until after finishing. It's also made me happy again about that series after the crushing disappointment of the ending.

[quote name='soulkyo']Thanks for the heads up, finally! :D :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's funny, when I saw the deal of the day, I instantly thought of you. lol

The Steam Store really needs some remodeling to display the sales. There's no place for the weekly deals and they often leave out something with the daily/midweek/weekend sales when it comes to franchises. For example, today both Transformers games are on sale but both the Midweek spot on the main page and the news page only list the Fall of Cybertron. Knowing that they do this I searched for War for Cybertron myself. Sometimes if there's a bundle with the games in a franchise you'll find out that way on the displayed game's page, but that doesn't apply here. It seems like a big oversight.

Also, after I posted another midweek popped up:

Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition at 66% off ($10.19)
Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition at 66% off ($6.79)*

*edit: With the exact same franchise listing problem as Transformers.

Sword & Sworcery, Crayon Physics Deluxe, and Splice were added to the current Humble Bundle. If you already bought it you should have Steam keys.

[quote name='jshackles']More to the point, there are about 10-15 DLC packs I wish they had never made. These add nothing to the game and are a kind of "pay to unlock" system. I know they can be disabled and all that, but still.

I picked up all of the dlc for the game on the epic 91% off sale. I started playing the game and thought it was pretty cool. Once I got to the point in the game where you get your own apartment, BAM everything unlocks. All of the sudden I had all of the character upgrades, all of the unlockables, overpowered abilities, etc. The game wasn't fun any more so I uninstalled and haven't played since.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. I avoided those (I think). I have the Triad Enforcer Pack, Ghost Pig, Martial Arts Pack, Nightmare in North Point, Wheels of Fury, and Zodiac Tournament. And now I want the Year of the Snake one. Mostly I'm picking up the mission DLCs (skipped the racing pack because I generally suck at racing).

[quote name='louiedog']I dislike the way DLC is handled in a lot of games. For example, Mass Effect 2 and 3. I waited a long time to play both because of it. I'd much rather have all of that stuff in my first experience with the game than play a one off mission with a new character 6 months after I complete it. I also generally don't have as much time as I like to go back through a 30 hour game to see it that way. All they do is train me to wait to buy the games when they're a much lower price because I want that best first experience.

Now, when you've got something more standalone like Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den or Red Dead's Undead Nightmare that are completely separate from the main game, but still offer an interesting twist on the things you like about it, I'm on board. Those can be enjoyed well after finishing and don't make me feel like I missed something or that they were ripped from the main story to sell me later.

Of course I'm really enjoying the Mass Effect 3: Citadel DLC right now. The tone of it is so far off what ME3 offered that it wouldn't make sense to play it until after finishing. It's also made me happy again about that series after the crushing disappointment of the ending.[/QUOTE]

I largely agree. I want the full story experience when I play a game; I don't want to have to come back months or years later for some can't-miss DLC. I haven't had too many problems with this because I usually just pick the story DLCs that look interesting as I go. On the other hand, the pricing on some of it is a bit crazy and the Citadel thing is a good example of that. First the story (from what I've read about it in reviews) seems a bit hackneyed [R&R in the middle of a catastrophic galactic war :hot:] and then I also question whether I want to spend around 40% of what I spent on the main game on a piece of DLC (and frickin' BioWare never puts this stuff on sale, at least for PC).

[quote name='jshackles']I just saw that Sacred 2 Gold is on sale for 66% off, making it $6.79.

I believe this is the lowest price it's been on Steam. Unfortunately, it's not DRM free but it only uses Steam DRM.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: This is a solid deal, but I'm starting question what the heck is going on over at Valve. Random weeklong deals?! I like deals as much as the next CAG but it doesn't seem like there's much consistency to what Steam is doing these days. 1-2 weekend deals, 1-2 midweek deals, 4-5 weeklong deals and then stochastically-chosen weeklong deals that appear mysteriously throughout the week. Sacred 2 is a weeklong deal, apparently, but it's not part of the announcement that was made yesterday.

[quote name='warreni']
On the other hand, the pricing on some of it is a bit crazy and the Citadel thing is a good example of that. First the story (from what I've read about it in reviews) seems a bit hackneyed [R&R in the middle of a catastrophic galactic war :hot:] and then I also question whether I want to spend around 40% of what I spent on the main game on a piece of DLC (and frickin' BioWare never puts this stuff on sale, at least for PC).[/QUOTE]

It's definitely expensive, but fortunately I've been playing the series on the 360 where I rarely buy anything and have a bunch of free points that I got. The story is hackneyed, and because of the disconnect with the main game's tone should be avoided until the game is completed. But, like I said, the silly nature and constant (mostly landing) jokes are a great refresh after the bad taste that I was left with at the end of the game. For me it's a separate "what if" scenario than something canonical. It's a much better way to say goodbye to these characters and I'd have been pretty disappointed if I'd played it before finishing the game.

[quote name='louiedog']It's definitely expensive, but fortunately I've been playing the series on the 360 where I rarely buy anything and have a bunch of free points that I got. The story is hackneyed, and because of the disconnect with the main game's tone should be avoided until the game is completed. But, like I said, the silly nature and constant (mostly landing) jokes are a great refresh after the bad taste that I was left with at the end of the game. For me it's a separate "what if" scenario than something canonical. It's a much better way to say goodbye to these characters and I'd have been pretty disappointed if I'd played it before finishing the game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm still not sure how I'd feel about it. I actually didn't hate the ending as much as a lot of other people did, and it definitely felt like an end, which makes this particular DLC seem all the weirder.

[quote name='jshackles']More to the point, there are about 10-15 DLC packs I wish they had never made. These add nothing to the game and are a kind of "pay to unlock" system. I know they can be disabled and all that, but still.

I picked up all of the dlc for the game on the epic 91% off sale. I started playing the game and thought it was pretty cool. Once I got to the point in the game where you get your own apartment, BAM everything unlocks. All of the sudden I had all of the character upgrades, all of the unlockables, overpowered abilities, etc. The game wasn't fun any more so I uninstalled and haven't played since.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='louiedog']I dislike the way DLC is handled in a lot of games. For example, Mass Effect 2 and 3. I waited a long time to play both because of it. I'd much rather have all of that stuff in my first experience with the game than play a one off mission with a new character 6 months after I complete it. I also generally don't have as much time as I like to go back through a 30 hour game to see it that way. All they do is train me to wait to buy the games when they're a much lower price because I want that best first experience.

Of course I'm really enjoying the Mass Effect 3: Citadel DLC right now. The tone of it is so far off what ME3 offered that it wouldn't make sense to play it until after finishing. It's also made me happy again about that series after the crushing disappointment of the ending.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='warreni']That sucks. I avoided those (I think). I have the Triad Enforcer Pack, Ghost Pig, Martial Arts Pack, Nightmare in North Point, Wheels of Fury, and Zodiac Tournament. And now I want the Year of the Snake one. Mostly I'm picking up the mission DLCs (skipped the racing pack because I generally suck at racing).

I largely agree. I want the full story experience when I play a game; I don't want to have to come back months or years later for some can't-miss DLC. I haven't had too many problems with this because I usually just pick the story DLCs that look interesting as I go. On the other hand, the pricing on some of it is a bit crazy and the Citadel thing is a good example of that. First the story (from what I've read about it in reviews) seems a bit hackneyed [R&R in the middle of a catastrophic galactic war :hot:] and then I also question whether I want to spend around 40% of what I spent on the main game on a piece of DLC (and frickin' BioWare never puts this stuff on sale, at least for PC).

EDIT: This is a solid deal, but I'm starting question what the heck is going on over at Valve. Random weeklong deals?! I like deals as much as the next CAG but it doesn't seem like there's much consistency to what Steam is doing these days. 1-2 weekend deals, 1-2 midweek deals, 4-5 weeklong deals and then stochastically-chosen weeklong deals that appear mysteriously throughout the week. Sacred 2 is a weeklong deal, apparently, but it's not part of the announcement that was made yesterday.[/QUOTE]

re: Sleeping Dogs DLC

In general, I hate DLC for most of the reasons quoted. That said, I usually fanboy out for games I like and buy the mission/content based stuff because of it though I prefer to have it included. Of the DLC I have played a lot last year, I didn't mind the Sleeping Dogs DLC because it was just more fun stuff to do after completing the story so I didn't feel the need to replay it. Same with the Sniper Elite V2 DLC I've been buying. Just single missions to do in my spare time without feeling I have to play the game again. They just feel like more assignments in my sniper life.

[quote name='louiedog']Sword & Sworcery, Crayon Physics Deluxe, and Splice were added to the current Humble Bundle. If you already bought it you should have Steam keys.[/QUOTE]

Eh, free is free, and solid games, but was hoping for maybe something new.

[quote name='jshackles']I just saw that Sacred 2 Gold is on sale for 66% off, making it $6.79.

I believe this is the lowest price it's been on Steam. Unfortunately, it's not DRM free but it only uses Steam DRM.[/QUOTE]

So this one won't run outside of Steam like mentioned before? Steam DRM is usually pretty light so I wouldn't mind it to too much personally, but I do think other services are almost exclusively DRM free for this game.

For anyone considering blood bowl. I highly recommend you get the chaos edition. It is the latest one so it has the most content. But more importantly it uses steamworks as drm, where as the legendary edition has securom and an activation limit.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

[quote name='Terlan']For anyone considering blood bowl. I highly recommend you get the chaos edition. It is the latest one so it has the most content. But more importantly it uses steamworks as drm, where as the legendary edition has securom and an activation limit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I've been considering getting it after watching a few of the TGS matches on Youtube.

[quote name='Terlan']Anyone have any opinions on this?[/QUOTE]

I think MysterD has pretty much written novels about it. ;) But TL;DR He liked it.

Maybe Ashes had some things to say too?

I wish there was a good place to easily refer to review posts and other posts with useful info that get buried over time without having to really dig for them.

I've played a little bit of it, but not much. Seems like a good 'Diablo-style' game.

[quote name='louiedog']Sword & Sworcery, Crayon Physics Deluxe, and Splice were added to the current Humble Bundle. If you already bought it you should have Steam keys.[/QUOTE]

That kind of makes me glad I passed this time around.

[quote name='Preedatore']That kind of makes me glad I passed this time around.[/QUOTE]

My exact thoughts when I read the email they sent me.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
So this one won't run outside of Steam like mentioned before? Steam DRM is usually pretty light so I wouldn't mind it to too much personally, but I do think other services are almost exclusively DRM free for this game.[/QUOTE]

Correct. While most places have it DRM-free, the Steam version still uses Steam DRM. Asheskitty and I even did an MD5 cross check between the Steam version and the Gamersgate version and they're most certainly different. Also, when I try launching the EXE while not logged in to Steam, it launches Steam and asks me to sign in.

[quote name='jshackles']i just saw that sacred 2 gold is on sale for 66% off, making it $6.79.

I believe this is the lowest price it's been on steam. Unfortunately, it's not drm free but it only uses steam drm.[/quote]

holy mother of fuck
thankyou
i have a sacred 2 problem
vast time sinks arpgs. yes please.
i was JUST thinking to myself. crappy midweek deals. didn't bite on arma expansion pack or RE5 at 5$. I wish sacred 2 gold would go on sale. < my thoughts.

Now my question is whether or not to buy those old Red Faction games, which I'll probably never play, since they are the only ones I don't have and they could be a victim of the THQ fallout. I know nothing has disappeared yet, but paranoia is as good a reason to buy shit as any, right?

I enjoyed the first Red Faction when I played it a couple years back. So it looks old, but it was still fun to play around in and go mining in. Red Faction II on the other hand is terrible, and I didn't even finish it. It's not even on Mars. Then, RFG is fun, while RFA is an average tunnel shooter with some fun mechanics added in.

[quote name='Terlan']Anyone have any opinions on this?[/QUOTE]

One of the best ARPG games i have personally played on a console. The fact that is has both the base game AND the expansion which for the longest time you could not get outside of Europe, yeah, GET THIS NOW lol.

Guerrilla was okay, I had most of my fun by going at the buildings with the hammer.

Also doesn't one of the first two red faction games have trouble running on modern systems?

[quote name='Motoki']I think MysterD has pretty much written novels about it. ;) But TL;DR He liked it.
[/QUOTE]
Pretty much, yep. :D

Might wanna look at the Gamersgate Thread. I talked a bit about it there.
Might wanna start on this page.

If you buy it from Steam or have the newest version from GG, you won't have to deal w/ the updating and all of that nonsense that I babbled about for pages there.
And the game doesn't use Securom anymore w/ GG or Steam version - so you won't have to deal w/ that.

You might want to install Community Patch - it unlocks XMas Island and has some other extra content, bugfixes, game-changes, and all of that stuff.
Worth noting: you need Sacred 2: Gold, to run the Com Patch.

Also - if you have problems running the game, if you can - try some of these tricks.
Not sure if Steam's wrapper of DRM gets in the way of their version and if you might need some command-line type of tricks to do some of this stuff - but it's there, if you want!

About the game install - I ain't dabbled much into Ice & Blood sections much...
...but the base game Sacred 2: Fallen Angel is something I have spoken about at great lengths.
See here.

Thanks for all the input on Sacred 2, bought and downloading. Glad the game doesn't use securom anymore too. I'll probably try the game out and then maybe see how I like the community patch.

[quote name='Terlan']Guerrilla was okay, I had most of my fun by going at the buildings with the hammer.

Also doesn't one of the first two red faction games have trouble running on modern systems?[/QUOTE]

rf but there mod to make it work call pure red faction something. but rf the 1st u have to play it fully on and not move around to other stuff or it will goes crazy

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Thanks for all the info again MysterD.

I am a collector of fine ARPG's that don't begin with a D and end with a 3.![/QUOTE]

I'm definitely a fan of the ARPG genre, anyways.

I actually liked D3....I just wish it would get an offline mode, since you can really solo through the game w/out anybody else playing no problem.

But, yeah - I'll take Diablo 2: LOD; Torchlight series (ESPECIALLY Torchlight 2; Sacred series; Dungeon Siege: LOA Edition + DS2 & Broken World; Titan Quest: Complete; and even Silverfall: Complete (only the Complete version of that)...
...ALL over D3.

EDIT:
To make D3 better IMHO, that game needs offline mode (duh!); and WAY more ways to make different character/skill builds per character class.
It's something a few expansions put behind it could probably fix, IMHO.

Sacred 2 is something I had been wanting for awhile but after getting bored of Silverfall in three or so hours I'm leery about grabbing another loot grinder ARPG.

[quote name='Mooby']Sacred 2 is something I had been wanting for awhile but after getting bored of Silverfall in three or so hours I'm leery about grabbing another loot grinder ARPG.[/QUOTE]

I think the whole "loot grinder ARPG" boredom thing can come after playing too many of them.
Honestly - this can be said about a lot of genres and games where the games can be so much like each other.

I still ain't finished Torchlight 2. After 10 hours of it - yeah, I need break from loot grinder ARPG's; at least for a little bit of time. That, and/or the entire genre needs some kind of overhaul, evolution, or change.

[quote name='MysterD']I think the whole "loot grinder ARPG" boredom thing can come after playing too many of them.
Honestly - this can be said about a lot of genres and games where the games can be so much like each other.

I still ain't finished Torchlight 2. After 10 hours of it - yeah, I need break from loot grinder ARPG's; at least for a little bit of time. That, and/or the entire genre needs some kind of overhaul, evolution, or change.[/QUOTE]
It needs an overhaul. Dungeon Siege III and Heroes of Ruin are two games I bought but ended up not playing much of. Not that they are bad games, just I really got bored of them fast. I think we something new to add to the ARPG to make it fresh. Need to play T2 though.

Also sadly glad I didn't buy the humble. I have almost all the games, including the bonuses.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It needs an overhaul. Dungeon Siege III and Heroes of Ruin are two games I bought but ended up not playing much of. Not that they are bad games, just I really got bored of them fast. I think we something new to add to the ARPG to make it fresh. Need to play T2 though.

Also sadly glad I didn't buy the humble. I have almost all the games, including the bonuses.[/QUOTE]

This. Offline mode wouldn't come anywhere close to fixing D3. I prefered Dungeon Siege 3 to Diablo 3, which is saying something..

There needs to be far more customization. As it is now, you don't have any stat or skill points to adjust, all you get to choose from is the items you'll equip, and skills to use, which can be changed on the fly..

Barely feels like an action RPG. I don't even mind that the game is online-only, it just isn't a good game to begin with.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It needs an overhaul. Dungeon Siege III and Heroes of Ruin are two games I bought but ended up not playing much of. Not that they are bad games, just I really got bored of them fast. I think we something new to add to the ARPG to make it fresh. Need to play T2 though.

Also sadly glad I didn't buy the humble. I have almost all the games, including the bonuses.[/QUOTE]

I would consider Borderlands/Borderlands 2 to be ARPGs. It's all the same gameplay hooks and trappings, just in the first person. I think there are games like that that are basically more interesting takes on the ARPG, we just don't consider them to be ARPGs anymore because that genre has been so perfected into a very narrowly defined experience.

[quote name='MysterD']I think the whole "loot grinder ARPG" boredom thing can come after playing too many of them.

I still ain't finished Torchlight 2. After 10 hours of it - yeah, I need break from loot grinder ARPG's; at least for a little bit of time. That, and/or the entire genre needs some kind of overhaul, evolution, or change.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, although I found Silverfall particularly dull in terms of enemy design and combat skills. Torchlight (2) does a lot better in that department. The Sacred 2 sale is a week so I'll check out some more videos and see what's what.

Re: Dungeon Siege 3, it's a departure from traditional ARPGs. The content is pretty lacking as is the level design. The skill trees are pretty dull and the loot not that varied. They didn't really set out to make a Diablo-clone it's just a generic isometric hack-n-slash that tries to cover its failings with patented Obsidian/Biowarian cut scenes complete with shallow choice and consequence.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I would consider Borderlands/Borderlands 2 to be ARPGs. It's all the same gameplay hooks and trappings, just in the first person. I think there are games like that that are basically more interesting takes on the ARPG, we just don't consider them to be ARPGs anymore because that genre has been so perfected into a very narrowly defined experience.[/QUOTE]

I wanted to mention this. I agree with this.
I also find Terraria in a distant way, an ARPG. I love all the above.

So confused by these Steam sales popping up out of nowhere. I love them, just fearful of missing something I guess.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']The first Red Faction remains my favorite, but I assume it would look date by now.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah. It has graphics typical of the era.

I just replayed Red Faction 1 last year. (Possibly played it for the first time. I remembered parts, but not other parts.) I quite enjoyed it. It is a game worth having in a collection if you have any appreciation for good story-based shooters.

[quote name='gilby']Well, yeah. It has graphics typical of the era.

I just replayed Red Faction 1 last year. (Possibly played it for the first time. I remembered parts, but not other parts.) I quite enjoyed it. It is a game worth having in a collection if you have any appreciation for good story-based shooters.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I definitely think it's worth playing even with the graphics. I just know some people hate bad graphics. I still remember moving my PS2 from TV to TV as I was kicked off of one or another in order to finish the game. I think I played it over a weekend. The PS2 had some really great first generation games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back