The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunasun']But you'll miss out on bitch slapping someone with a battery operated dog chew toy. [/QUOTE]

Battery operated ones, like men, don't last long enough. ;)

gingers_naughty_list_wall_decal.jpg

[quote name='asheskitty']Battery operated ones, like men, don't last long enough. ;)

gingers_naughty_list_wall_decal.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Based on personal experience? ;P Doesn't apply to all men, though. Let's just say growing up with unlimited internet access has brought on lots of conditioning for me. And all that training pays off. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdxUFDoQe0

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Are we posting penis pics next?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Idiotekque']Just waiting for the go-ahead.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Eldredpe']I'll cover awkward puppy erections.[/QUOTE]

I think we've officially rock-bottomed this thread now :applause:

[quote name='AgentW']I don't believe it's been posted here yet, but all you proud new owners of the Civ V Gold Edition, prepare yourselves to be incomplete once again. May I present to you, Brave New World, the expansion that fixes diplomacy and culture. For only $29.99. Coming this summer.[/QUOTE]

Which was pretty much known by any Civ enthusiast before Civ5 ever came out, and confirmed by numerous recent rumors. Both Civ3 and Civ4 had 2 expansions, and it wasn't til after both that the games really shined.

[quote name='fantomena']How is Saint's Row 2 on PC?[/QUOTE]

I've got 300+ hours. Game runs fine on modern systems, though when it was released a lot of people had issues. Definitely get the Gentlemen of the Row mod as it fixes some outstanding issues. I wouldn't bother with the 360 version just for totally meh DLC. Saints Row 2 is more on par with the GTA series, just more fun. It had a good setting, story, music, graphics, though the vehicle controls kind of suck. I just used my 360 controller to drive/fly, and m+kb for everything else. Contrary to SR3, the story in SR2 is actually cohesive, flows naturally, and includes a lot of great voice acting.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Isn't saints row 4 just a saints row 3 dlc that they decided to make into a full game? I'm almost positive I read that somewhere.[/QUOTE]

You did. SR4 is going to use the same engine as SR3 and the next planned DLC ended up as the springboard for the new game. That's how they can have such a short dev time compared to the SR2 -> SR3 time.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I think we've officially rock-bottomed this thread now :applause:[/QUOTE]

I think you need to have a little more faith in us, Spoony.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Are we posting penis pics next?[/QUOTE]

We are? Sweet, here's mine. Pretty pleased with the size~

Xgi5eWD.jpg

(just kidding, the photo was already censored when I found it on Google)

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']How the hell did you manage this?[/QUOTE]
Bought the Super Strategy Pack on Amazon when it price glitched for $15 + $5 off coupon, sold Civ IV (already had it) and Stronghold Collection (didn't want it) for $9, so that made Civ V GOTY + G&K $1, then I bought the Korea/Ancient Wonders pack on Steam for $1.80, making it $2.80 overall.

[quote name='Detruire']
At
least
it
wasn't
as
annoying
as
it
would
have
been
to
click
all
these
freaking
spoiler
b
u
t
t
n
s
oops
I
think
that
I
missed
a letter
there...
b
u
t
t
o
n
s
You know... I really hate when people do this with spoiler tags.
[/QUOTE]

Holy shit how long did that take you? Um... well done? And thanks for a laugh.

[quote name='teknikalei']Holy shit how long did that take you? Um... well done? And thanks for a laugh.[/QUOTE]
3-4 minutes.

I suddenly recall why I only appear on this thread during the sales and occasionally on the weekend. Well, I guess that what happens when I lurk on a Saturday morning.

[quote name='AgentW']I don't believe it's been posted here yet, but all you proud new owners of the Civ V Gold Edition, prepare yourselves to be incomplete once again. May I present to you, Brave New World, the expansion that fixes diplomacy and culture. For only $29.99. Coming this summer.[/QUOTE]
From the article:
PCG: What’s a new Civilization that contributes a new playing style? Can you describe this playing style?

Firaxis: Poland’s trait is called Solidarity, and they receive a free Social Policy when they advance into each new era. Poland gave us the opportunity design a Civ with extremely strong mounted units in the Medieval-Renaissance era. When you see the bonus for the Winged Hussar, it should give players a lot of flexibility in terms of changing the way a battle unfolds tactically. Since their Civ trait is extremely flexible, I think Poland is an effective Civ for a wide variety of victories.

Poland as a Civ! :whee:

Wtf, Poland could win via culture victories SO easily like that. Hell, the last game I played was as the Aztecs, and I won a culture victory in 1922.

They REALLY need to balance the Civs better. So many of them have utterly pointless and useless perks.

[quote name='jshackles']
Deep Silver put out the teaser for Saints Row IV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax5lfDVjF3w[/QUOTE]

Looks like more ridiculous Saints Row type of fun.

So, when's SR4: The Full Package coming w/ SR4 base game + all of its 666 DLC's included coming out? ;)

EDIT:
[quote name='Kaltic']This feels way too quick for yet another Saints Row game, but I think that is primarily a problem with buying games so much later after they release.[/quote]
And your reason is another why we all probably should wait for SR4: The Full Package w/ everything (SR4 base game + ALL DLC's).
C'mon - we know there'll be 999 DLC's for it. ;)

7 Wonders: Ancient Alien Makeover is a new secret weekly sale 66% off at $3.40 until March 22nd.

Yes it's basically a Big Fish Game (though they did add Steam achievements at least) and yes I bought it.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Anno 2070 DLC worth a damn? Doesn't really look like it.[/QUOTE]

*Edit: Apparently the Complete Pack is on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18711/

I swear I didn't notice it the other day. Anyway it's only 36% and the DRM situation is still dubious so meh.

There's apparently a "Complete" version due out the end of this month (nice that they do that after the Steam sale :roll:) but I believe it's boxed only and Europe only. Not sure if they will do a digital complete version on Steam but they really need to. The game is not new and selling it piecemeal like that on the sales is a bit tiresome.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Wtf, Poland could win via culture victories SO easily like that. Hell, the last game I played was as the Aztecs, and I won a culture victory in 1922.

They REALLY need to balance the Civs better. So many of them have utterly pointless and useless perks.[/QUOTE]

They get bonus culture points for The Witcher.

Anyway, I still like Austria's diplomatic marriage perk. Like I told you before, I don't use mods so in my games that's the only way I can swing absorbing city states without force. There has to be some upside to playing as a fussy old lady.

[quote name='DPsycho']Please tell me you don't mean this literally.[/QUOTE]

I'm not even sure what meaning that literally would imply.

[quote name='jshackles']Okay the world just went crazy. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is had a price drop and is now on sale!

$14.99 for the base game. Expansions are also 50% off.[/QUOTE]

Neat. I believe Tony was also working on a Steam Amalur deal. I wonder if this signals that it's imminent.

[quote name='MysterD']
And your reason is another why we all probably should wait for SR4: The Full Package w/ everything (SR4 base game + ALL DLC's).
C'mon - we know there'll be 999 DLC's for it. ;)[/QUOTE]

I've never seen Deep Silver releasing so much DLC as THQ did with SR3, and they are not in that much need of money either, but you are right, it's always a good idea to wait for the "final" version of the game.

[quote name='louiedog']Neat. I believe Tony was also working on a Steam Amalur deal. I wonder if this signals that it's imminent.[/QUOTE]

$24.99 was a good enough price point for me to pick up the "Collection" which included all of the DLC. Tony might be able to swing a better deal eventually for the game on Steam, but I've been debating buying this at $60 for just the base game, so I'm happy.

:D

[quote name='Motoki']They get bonus culture points for The Witcher.

Anyway, I still like Austria's diplomatic marriage perk. Like I told you before, I don't use mods so in my games that's the only way I can swing absorbing city states without force. There has to be some upside to playing as a fussy old lady.[/QUOTE]
Actually, only the first game I played was with that mod and a few others. Unfortunately Civ V does NOT support using mods in Steam offline mode, so if you have a game saved that's using mods, you need internet connection to load it (with its necessary mods).

Since I don't have internet at night usually, I've just been playing without mods. I end up just allying with EVERY city state. Nice bonuses.

[quote name='jshackles']$24.99 was a good enough price point for me to pick up the "Collection" which included all of the DLC. Tony might be able to swing a better deal eventually for the game on Steam, but I've been debating buying this at $60 for just the base game, so I'm happy.

:D[/QUOTE]
Still $12.50 too much imo.

[quote name='jshackles']Okay the world just went crazy. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is had a price drop and is now on sale!

$14.99 for the base game. Expansions are also 50% off.[/QUOTE]

Argh, to buy or wait? I'll have to see if Tony has the skinny.

Rise of Nations Gold should be coming soon too since there were some recent changes in the Steam registry for that.

I think Rhode Island is finally aware of Steam!

[quote name='Motoki']Argh, to buy or wait? I'll have to see if Tony has the skinny.

Rise of Nations Gold should be coming soon too since there were some recent changes in the Steam registry for that.

I think Rhode Island is finally aware of Steam![/QUOTE]

Poor Curt Schilling had to sell his stupid bloody sock. I kind of think they should have tested the waters with just the single player rpg instead of developing the mmo alongside of it so it wouldn't have been so brutal if Amalur didn't sell well. Not that a single AAA title is cheap to produce but doing two at once and having the first one fail really has to hurt.

[quote name='lachrymoses']Poor Curt Schilling had to sell his stupid bloody sock. I kind of think they should have tested the waters with just the single player rpg instead of developing the mmo alongside of it so it wouldn't have been so brutal if Amalur didn't sell well. Not that a single AAA title is cheap to produce but doing two at once and having the first one fail really has to hurt.[/QUOTE]

You know this game actually sold relatively well. For most developers the amount it made would have been fine but they amount of money they spent on it was way overkill. RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane both got hefty checks for putting their name on it.

I don't know what they were thinking to spend this much for an new unknown IP and plus MMOs are a dime a dozen and the market is pretty over saturated. I guess they just had their EA money and Rhode Island money and went to town with it. It doesn't seem like anyone in charge had any sort of reasonable plans or expectations to reign in some of the spending and no one was willing to tell the Emperor he wasn't wearing any clothes.

I wonder what will happen to the IP now. I heard some rumblings that EA might be interested in buying it but I don't think that ever happened.

[quote name='valenor the bored']Is it possible to get the Origin version of KoA dlc to work with the steam base game?[/QUOTE]

No. This sort of thing almost never, ever is possible.

[quote name='Motoki']You know this game actually sold relatively well. For most developers the amount it made would have been fine but they amount of money they spent on it was way overkill. RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane both got hefty checks for putting their name on it.

I don't know what they were thinking to spend this much for an new unknown IP and plus MMOs are a dime a dozen and the market is pretty over saturated. I guess they just had their EA money and Rhode Island money and went to town with it. It doesn't seem like anyone in charge had any sort of reasonable plans or expectations to reign in some of the spending and no one was willing to tell the Emperor he wasn't wearing any clothes.

I wonder what will happen to the IP now. I heard some rumblings that EA might be interested in buying it but I don't think that ever happened.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know it sold relatively well I just knew how large of a hole 38 studios dug. Were they expecting Infinity Ward money out of this thing or what? Now the whole thing seems even crazier to me. I wonder what kind of numbers they would have had to do for things not to turn out the way they did? What were they thinking?

Also I think even fans of RA Salvatore would say that his strength lies in describing battles and not in his narrative so why pay him heaps of money to write something that does not play to his strengths as the engine handles all the combat?

[quote name='lachrymoses']I didn't know it sold relatively well I just knew how large of a hole 38 studios dug. Were they expecting Infinity Ward money out of this thing or what? Now the whole thing seems even crazier to me. I wonder what kind of numbers they would have had to do for things not to turn out the way they did? What were they thinking?

Also I think even fans of RA Salvatore would say that his strength lies in describing battles and not in his narrative so why pay him heaps of money to write something that does not play to his strengths as the engine handles all the combat?[/QUOTE]

According to reports when things went rotten it was something like 3 million copies just to break even. That's a lot for a new IP fantasy action RPG.

[quote name='lachrymoses']I didn't know it sold relatively well I just knew how large of a hole 38 studios dug. Were they expecting Infinity Ward money out of this thing or what? Now the whole thing seems even crazier to me. I wonder what kind of numbers they would have had to do for things not to turn out the way they did? What were they thinking?

Also I think even fans of RA Salvatore would say that his strength lies in describing battles and not in his narrative so why pay him heaps of money to write something that does not play to his strengths as the engine handles all the combat?[/QUOTE]

Well any time EA is involved you know the sales expectations are going to be through the roof. Plus the more you spend, the more you need to make back and they spent a lot on this game and were also somewhat using it to try to finance their planned Amalur MMO.

As for Salvatore, well I guess someone (Schilling?) was under the impression that a big name in fantasy novels would some how translate to selling more games. I highly doubt most gamers were even aware of his involvement or would care if they knew. *shrug*

[quote name='Eldredpe']I'm not even sure what meaning that literally would imply.[/QUOTE]

My guess would be putting a condom on it. But then, how do you do it figuratively?

[quote name='Motoki']You know this game actually sold relatively well. For most developers the amount it made would have been fine but they amount of money they spent on it was way overkill. RA Salvatore and Todd McFarlane both got hefty checks for putting their name on it.

I wonder what will happen to the IP now. I heard some rumblings that EA might be interested in buying it but I don't think that ever happened.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm curious what'll ever happen to the KOA IP, as well.

It would NOT surprise me if say EA could get the IP, but they'd probably try to get that on the cheap.
Plus, given EA's recent love for always-online games (Darkspore; C&C4; SWTOR; TSW; SimCity 2013), you'd figure they'd be all over 38 Studios' KOA MMO. :p

We know Take-2 was also once interested in BHG Baltimore doing a single-player KOA: Reckoning 2.
We also knew BHG Baltimore was in pre-production mode for Reckoning 2, before everything tragically fell apart.

RIP to 38 Studios; BHG Baltimore; and Impossible Studios.

Tough call on KOA. I wonder if the new base price means we'll see it for sale more often. or we'll have to wait another year for a sale.
I'd like to buy Far Cry 3, but that discount is not enough.
I can get XCOM for 10$ and Far Cry 3 is 40% off. so lame.
anybody have anymore info on amazon koa deal?

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Tough call on KOA. I wonder if the new base price means we'll see it for sale more often. or we'll have to wait another year for a sale.[/QUOTE]
It's finally on the sale, so it means for me that Steam have found the responsible guy from Rhode Island (or he has found himself by Tony's request for Amalur Steam keys?) and from now they can put the game on regular sales like the rest of their catalog.

[quote name='poxi']It's finally on the sale, so it means for me that Steam have found the responsible guy from Rhode Island (or he has found himself by Tony's request for Amalur Steam keys?) and from now they can put the game on regular sales like the rest of their catalog.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Now that Steam knows who to go to (or that guy now realizes that he has the power to OK sales), we will see KoA appear on sale again. Only question is, will the guy with the power to OK sales be willing to do 75% off?

We're all used to games going 75% off. But to someone who is new to this whole PCDD thing, 75% off might seem kinda crazy.

Now I wish I hadn't broken down and bought KOA on Origin. I still haven't played it yet. $25.00 is too much to double-dip for Steam convenience, but I'm glad folks waiting for a Steam sale finally have it!

personally, i am not taking any chances
i was about to buy the complete collection for $80 because the thought of it only being available on origin is unbearable
$25 sounds absolutely AMAZING to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back