The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tham1988']personally, i am not taking any chances
i was about to buy the complete collection for $80 because the thought of it only being available on origin is unbearable
$25 sounds absolutely AMAZING to me[/QUOTE]

Well Motoki asked Tony over on the Amazon thread if the KoA sale is gonna include DLC and what the price will be. No response yet. But at the very least, people might wanna wait and see what Tony says. There's still another 21 hours left on the steam sale.

[quote name='The End']I agree with this. Now that Steam knows who to go to (or that guy now realizes that he has the power to OK sales), we will see KoA appear on sale again. Only question is, will the guy with the power to OK sales be willing to do 75% off?

We're all used to games going 75% off. But to someone who is new to this whole PCDD thing, 75% off might seem kinda crazy.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. It's basically a stunt [to the advantage of gamers], to show the game still has relative demand and appeal. I believe KoA will probably go for auction soon, and the sales figures from today's daily deal and Amazon's Weeklong deal should help boost the price of the KoA estate.

I expect the next sale on KoA [excluding the Amazon sale], to be after the estate is auctioned off.

However, I could likely be wrong, that's how guessing works.

Is there some new estate sale announced? They already tried to auction the property off last year. Given the fact someone is putting together the Rise of games complete with Steam Achievements, I think they're just realizing they're stuck with the stuff and might as well make back some money,

Hm, I really want Far Cry 3 Deluxe and KoA Complete Pack but should only buy one new game...

Bah. What should I do?! Haha

Opinions on upcoming prices and such?

[quote name='BrolyB593']Hm, I really want Far Cry 3 Deluxe and KoA Complete Pack but should only buy one new game...

Bah. What should I do?! Haha

Opinions on upcoming prices and such?[/QUOTE]
I'd say go with KoA. Far Cry 3 will be cheaper on steam probably during the summer sale. Who knows if KoA will see another sale on steam again or even when it would be.

[quote name='The End']Well Motoki asked Tony over on the Amazon thread if the KoA sale is gonna include DLC and what the price will be. No response yet. But at the very least, people might wanna wait and see what Tony says. There's still another 21 hours left on the steam sale.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='UW_Shocks']I disagree. It's basically a stunt [to the advantage of gamers], to show the game still has relative demand and appeal. I believe KoA will probably go for auction soon, and the sales figures from today's daily deal and Amazon's Weeklong deal should help boost the price of the KoA estate.

I expect the next sale on KoA [excluding the Amazon sale], to be after the estate is auctioned off.

However, I could likely be wrong, that's how guessing works.[/QUOTE]

this pretty much sums up the situation in my opinion

[quote name='Terlan']I'd say go with KoA. Far Cry 3 will be cheaper on steam probably during the summer sale. Who knows if KoA will see another sale on steam again or even when it would be.[/QUOTE]

Of course it will. The problem before was that Steam had no idea who to contact in the Rhode Island government (same problem Amazon had). That person was found by Tony, Gaben and crew became alerted when said person asked for Steam keys. Amalur's retail was also lowered from $60 to $30. Not a one time thing.

[quote name='Corpekata']Is there some new estate sale announced? They already tried to auction the property off last year. Given the fact someone is putting together the Rise of games complete with Steam Achievements, I think they're just realizing they're stuck with the stuff and might as well make back some money,[/QUOTE]

I cannot fathom a State Government holding onto a game IP so it can make money.
They don't want that responsibility [they just want whatever lump sum they can make now]. Add that with the fact that a lawyer is in charge of the KoA stuff [at least I got this impression from the Amazon thread], then all signs point to the Rhode Island wanting to off load KoA.

If they wanted to make money, I would guess any newly graduated MBA or Marketing major could do a better job of making money with the IP than a law stiff.

[quote name='Woodlands']Now I wish I hadn't broken down and bought KOA on Origin. I still haven't played it yet. $25.00 is too much to double-dip for Steam convenience, but I'm glad folks waiting for a Steam sale finally have it![/QUOTE]

same boat

amazon tony is a harsh mistress

There's a lawyer in charge of the actual IP auction. There's a former Big Huge Games employee that manages the IP for the state.

I had bought KOA complete a while back. Didn't think they would ever figure out how to get the Steam version on sale.

I can say both Amalur and Far Cry 3 are excellent games.

[quote name='Mooby']There's a lawyer in charge of the actual IP auction. There's a former Big Huge Games employee that manages the IP for the state.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, then having a former game employee as the head manager is a smart move. Although, I'm still banking on KoA off loading to the hands of the "private" sector soon.

I was not really a fan of Amalur. The whole thing smacked of generic to me and just did not engage me at all. Granted I say that and I probably put in the area of 20+ hours into it trying to like it, and was probably no more than 15-20% into the game.

I will give the game one thing it has a ton of content and stuff to do. The opening area is probably a good 12+ hours on it's own. The downside to that is that it feels like a massive slog to make any progress. You end up with 50 little map pins for a bunch of side quests you long forgot why you had to swing by that spot to kill things because you got tired of waiting for the hideously long preambles to every tiny little fetch quest.

I remember during the development that they were saying it would be this great step forward in game play likening the combat to Bayonetta. I knew they were full of it at that point but was willing to see if they could even pull off a simplistic Devil May Cry. Again the combat just felt very dull and generic, slash slash, roll, repeat ad nauseum, maybe shoot something once in awhile.

The story is standard high fantasy silliness and again doesn't really do much to stand out. You are the fated fate-breaker, you can't have prophecies about the guy who is supposed to defy all prophecy. You deal with annoying generic high fantasy elves and other like creatures and again stop caring about why you're doing anything just pushing through mediocre voice acting delivering fairly lifeless text.

In fairness, it's not a bad game, it's just the definition of middle of the road bland. The graphics are well done enough but the Fable-esque cartoony art-style prevents you from every being really impressed by it. I remember comparing it to Skyrim, which I do not like at all, at the time with friends. Gameplay I prefer Amalur just because I've never been able to get into Bethesda's first person RPG stuff, amount of content is probably a push, and visuals and world building strongly in Skyrim's favor.

TL;DR KoA is a CostCo size serving of painfully bland ARPG. Wait for cheaper if you really want to play a more dull Fable.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']If that's the case, then having a former game employee as the head manager is a smart move. Although, I'm still banking on KoA off loading to the hands of the "private" sector soon.[/QUOTE]

Eventually, yeah. Not sure why they've been dragging their feet on the IP auction -- was allegedly supposed to happen back in October.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']I was not really a fan of Amalur. The whole thing smacked of generic to me and just did not engage me at all. Granted I say that and I probably put in the area of 20+ hours into it trying to like it, and was probably no more than 15-20% into the game.

I will give the game one thing it has a ton of content and stuff to do. The opening area is probably a good 12+ hours on it's own. The downside to that is that it feels like a massive slog to make any progress. You end up with 50 little map pins for a bunch of side quests you long forgot why you had to swing by that spot to kill things because you got tired of waiting for the hideously long preambles to every tiny little fetch quest.

I remember during the development that they were saying it would be this great step forward in game play likening the combat to Bayonetta. I knew they were full of it at that point but was willing to see if they could even pull off a simplistic Devil May Cry. Again the combat just felt very dull and generic, slash slash, roll, repeat ad nauseum, maybe shoot something once in awhile.

The story is standard high fantasy silliness and again doesn't really do much to stand out. You are the fated fate-breaker, you can't have prophecies about the guy who is supposed to defy all prophecy. You deal with annoying generic high fantasy elves and other like creatures and again stop caring about why you're doing anything just pushing through mediocre voice acting delivering fairly lifeless text.

In fairness, it's not a bad game, it's just the definition of middle of the road bland. The graphics are well done enough but the Fable-esque cartoony art-style prevents you from every being really impressed by it. I remember comparing it to Skyrim, which I do not like at all, at the time with friends. Gameplay I prefer Amalur just because I've never been able to get into Bethesda's first person RPG stuff, amount of content is probably a push, and visuals and world building strongly in Skyrim's favor.

TL;DR KoA is a CostCo size serving of painfully bland ARPG. Wait for cheaper if you really want to play a more dull Fable.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you don't like western rpgs in general haha. I have only played amalur for a bout 10 hours or so, but I have enjoyed it. The combat is not as good as god of war or devil may cry, but then again this is an rpg first, not an action game. Some elements of action game combat cannot translate into an rpg. That being said, I found the combat in amalur to be extremely engaging and a lot of fun. One of the better combat mechanisms in a rpg that I have played. In regards to the game being boring, you don't need to do every side quest. I only did ones that I found interesting. Of course if you try to do everything it will feel monotonous. Pick and choose is how I play all western rpgs. In skyrim, for example, on my first playthrough I only did a few daedric quests and other side quests along with the college of mages and the main story line. I was never bored. My second play though I have been doing the warriors guild (forget its name) and the main quest. Pick and choose what seems interesting and these types of games won't feel too big or boring :)

[quote name='kendog1331']...but then again this is an rpg first, not an action game. Some elements of action game combat cannot translate into an rpg. [/QUOTE]

Oh man... Amalur is an ARPG/hack-n-slash. Let's not confuse it with more traditional RPGs or even ARPGs that actually do present traditional RPG elements better like the early Gothic games. Stuff like Amalur, Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc. these are just action games with RPG elements. They play like single player MMOs.

[quote name='Mooby']Oh man... Amalur is an ARPG/hack-n-slash. Let's not confuse it with more traditional RPGs or even ARPGs that actually do present traditional RPG elements better like the early Gothic games. Stuff like Amalur, Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc. these are just action games with RPG elements. They play like single player MMOs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah action rpg is probably a better label.

[quote name='Mooby']Oh man... Amalur is an ARPG/hack-n-slash. Let's not confuse it with more traditional RPGs or even ARPGs that actually do present traditional RPG elements better like the early Gothic games. Stuff like Amalur, Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc. these are just action games with RPG elements. They play like single player MMOs.[/QUOTE]

Well most 'RPGs' are that hack and slash style, or as I like to call them wordy action games :p, these days. It sells better and translates better to consoles.

I like the old style more traditional RPGs but they are definitely few and far between these days, especially among the games made by or backed by the bigger publishers.

[quote name='kendog1331']Sounds like you don't like western rpgs in general haha. I have only played amalur for a bout 10 hours or so, but I have enjoyed it. The combat is not as good as god of war or devil may cry, but then again this is an rpg first, not an action game. Some elements of action game combat cannot translate into an rpg. That being said, I found the combat in amalur to be extremely engaging and a lot of fun. One of the better combat mechanisms in a rpg that I have played. In regards to the game being boring, you don't need to do every side quest. I only did ones that I found interesting. Of course if you try to do everything it will feel monotonous. Pick and choose is how I play all western rpgs. In skyrim, for example, on my first playthrough I only did a few daedric quests and other side quests along with the college of mages and the main story line. I was never bored. My second play though I have been doing the warriors guild (forget its name) and the main quest. Pick and choose what seems interesting and these types of games won't feel too big or boring :)[/QUOTE]

I think the single player MMO is what sums it up best. In am MMO you can throw a whole bunch of stuff at the player with not the greatest reason or story to back it up because you're building up your character to show off to, or party up with others.

There was no hook to Amalur to me, even if I focus more on the main story missions which also felt very meh. I can do hack/slash/loot in it's various forms which is largely what Amalur is, just way more talky. I feel like maybe if there was another Amalur game things could've been much better using the first as a jumping off point. I like RPGs (just not the ones made by Bethesda no matter how hard I try, but Ultima 7, Torment, Fallout 1&2, etc, much love), I like hack and slash games (Blades of Time is surprisingly solid even), I like looting in Torchlight or Borderlands, I dig fantasy settings and D&D. Amalur did none of those things badly, but for me, it also failed to do any of those things particularly well. It's only stand out quality is that there is a metric ton of crap to do in the game... just have to ask yourself if you're going to want to keep doing it after the first 15-20 hours.

I've spoken about Amalur tons of times - but sure, why not, I'll do so again. Seems appropriate.

KOA:R (base game) took about 72 hours of my life away. Main quest itself was really good; and side quests are all over the place and can range from decent to good to great, or whatever -- granted, I didn't go through everything. I've always really dug the combat of this game and thought it was awesome with a gamepad - though, I prefer Dark Souls: PTD with a gamepad and think that has the best combat in a RPG.

KOA:R - Legend of Dead Kel DLC is actually one of the best DLC's I've played in recent years - up there w/ some of my favorite DLC's like say GTA4: Ballad of Gay Tony; DE:HR - Missing Link; and especially FO:NV - Old World Blues. And it's easily the best questline and areas in KOA:R. It took around 10 hours, more or less. It's funny, witty, & has tons of personality - some of this is thanks to Cpt. Brattigan. The main enemy (Dead Kel) is extremely memorable. And the things that he does to the villagers actually makes you actually care about the villagers; and their stories will also make you care about them (the villagers).

I haven't touch KOA:R - Teeth of Naros, since I just needed a break from this game, after so many hours lifetime total. Maybe I'll eventually get to this DLC.

Out-the-box, KOA:R is...kinda easy - even if you crank the difficulty up. This is especially true, if you do decide to do lots and lots of side quests. So, if you're looking for a challenge - right out-the-box, you've likely got the wrong game.
So, if you might want a challenge - you might want to go find the HeartCore Mod (AKA YSA Mod). Granted, I ain't tested that myself - but that's what some people were using, to make the game tougher.
Maybe others can speak on the HeartCore Mod (YSA Mod)...?

If you play KOA, I'd advise staying away from the crafting elements. Or at least restrain yourself to like, one craft. Maybe Alchemy, as the game is a little stingy with potions sometimes. The inventory system, is beyond obnoxious and you'll find yourself tripping over stuff every 10 feet and filling your inventory every quest. Use quest and found gear. The game, as mentioned, is already easy so you don't really need to craft heavenly gear filled with outrageous gems to kill things.

Also, abuse the respec system. It is easily one of the most forgiving in these types of games, and if you get bored with a playstyle a change can do wonders. The game is also very friendly to Swordmagery type builds, which I'm fond of.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Totally excited to play. Awesome. write up. Thanks MysterD

Playing Far Cry 3 makes me want Red Dead Redemption on PC. What an incredible game.[/QUOTE]

You had to bring up Red Dead Redemption PC, didn't you? :(
I wish Rockstar would port that damn game over to the PC NOW!!!

[quote name='MysterD']You had to bring up Red Dead Redemption PC, didn't you? :(
I wish Rockstar would port that damn game over to the PC NOW!!![/QUOTE]
It'd be nice if they did but at this point, I don't think it will happen. Maybe if there is ever a Red Dead Redemption 2.

[quote name='MysterD']You had to bring up Red Dead Redemption PC, didn't you? :(

Seconded per usual :lol:

[quote name='Terlan']It'd be nice if they did but at this point, I don't think it will happen. Maybe if there is ever a Red Dead Redemption 2.[/QUOTE]

After all these years - who the hell knows if, when or ever Rockstar will port Red Dead Redemption here to the PC.
I still want it here, though - dammit!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Seconded per usual :lol:[/QUOTE]
I'm sure we ain't the only other ones who wants Red Dead Redempt on the PC. ;)

[quote name='Mighty Tor']
I was not really a fan of Amalur. The whole thing smacked of generic to me and just did not engage me at all. Granted I say that and I probably put in the area of 20+ hours into it trying to like it, and was probably no more than 15-20% into the game.

TL;DR KoA is a CostCo size serving of painfully bland ARPG. Wait for cheaper if you really want to play a more dull Fable.
[/QUOTE]
Totally disagreed. The game didn't feel generic at all to me, especially compared to other ARPGs. I'd easily say that KoA has a better fleshed out world, lore, characters, and writing than a game like Torchlight, and even Fable.

The ridiculous amount of quests is one of the best aspects of the game. You're not forced to do them, that's the point. In a game like Skyrim, it's great, because you can either do the man quest (or side quests), or you can just dick around and go wherever you want and do whatever you want. In KoA, you can pretty much do the same thing, but the difference is that the "dicking around" in KoA is so much more purposeful. Instead of wandering aimlessly through ruins that looks the same as the last ten ruins you explored, you're doing quests with characters, voiceovers, story, etc, which I think all were done very well.

As for combat, I have to ask, have you ever played Fable? I absolutely love the Fable series. I've played 2 and 3 to death, multiple characters, beat them both, and have played a lot of the original on the old Xbox, and I love the game. That said, KoA is Fable 2.0. Everything that Fable did wrong, KoA pretty much nails spot on. Fable combat is a clunky mix of roll, attack, shoot, just like you said. KoA is so much cleaner, more dynamic, and unforgiving. Heck, I found combat pretty difficult and engaging, although I hear that if you build your magic it quickly becomes overpowered, but I didn't notice that AT ALL using bows and knives (playing on hard mode). Fable combat was so much easier, and even if hard mode is too easy for you, the Heartcore mod fixes that. But really, even people who hate KoA usually admit that the combat is extremely well done for the genre, so I'm surprised you think the opposite. It seems like you're picking on the game just because with complaints like that. What would you have done different with the combat system?

I still have complaints about the game though. One is the "humor" in the game. Admittedly, while the world is very colorful and "cartoony", similar to Fable, it's more fantasy and not funny. The times it does try to throw humor in, it doesn't do particularly well. You can't really beat Fable's charm and humor. I mean, the crunchy chick item, "High in protein, low in morality." That's not a big complaint though. Something that did annoy me was the hardcoded low draw distance. The graphics and art style are absolutely gorgeous and vibrant, but trees and rocks popping in visibly is unnerving. The game runs excellently though, so oh well.

There are so many aspects of the game that just put it head and shoulders above its peers. A stealth system that actually works, a hide helmet option, high character customization, unique and interesting weapons, and I could go on. The game really gets way too much negativity thrown at it when it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be.

FC3 was a far better game than KoA in my opinion. Based on the fact that one game I consumed and the other I played for an evening and got bored.

[quote name='Motoki']As for Salvatore [...] I highly doubt most gamers were even aware of his involvement or would care if they knew. *shrug*[/QUOTE]
I knew Salvatore was involved but it wasn't a draw for me. I got bored with his stuff in the early 90's.

Well, Brutal Legend got ported to PC 4 years after its release on console, so it's a possibility...

Times like these I'm glad I'm not tied to one service. $25 is actually not awful for the game and all DLC as you would spend the same buying on a console, but too much compared to what Tony had it for on Origin. Plus, I think Tony will probably beat this price when he gets his deal.

[quote name='Syntax Error']FC3 was a far better game than KoA in my opinion. Based on the fact that one game I consumed and the other I played for an evening and got bored.

I knew Salvatore was involved but it wasn't a draw for me. I got bored with his stuff in the early 90's.[/QUOTE]

I feel like FC3 is a better game, but for some reason KoA drew me in more. Haven't beat farcry 3, have beat KoA.

[quote name='poker360']I feel like FC3 is a better game, but for some reason KoA drew me in more. Haven't beat farcry 3, have beat KoA.[/QUOTE]
Comparing an FPS to an ARPG? Both of you? lol.

Halo 2 is so much better than Mario 2.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Comparing an FPS to an ARPG? Both of you? lol.

Halo 2 is so much better than Mario 2.[/QUOTE]

Yankee SMB2 (Doki Doki Panic!) or the real SMB2?

Tempest > Halo 2

[quote name='Idiotekque']Comparing an FPS to an ARPG? Both of you? lol.

Halo 2 is so much better than Mario 2.[/QUOTE]

Mario 2 US or Japan?

[quote name='Mooby']Of course it will. The problem before was that Steam had no idea who to contact in the Rhode Island government (same problem Amazon had). That person was found by Tony, Gaben and crew became alerted when said person asked for Steam keys. Amalur's retail was also lowered from $60 to $30. Not a one time thing.[/QUOTE]

dat modesty

[quote name='Idiotekque']Comparing an FPS to an ARPG? Both of you? lol.[/QUOTE]
Sure. There's limited hours in the day. You can't spend them playing both.

Should I take a hike through the park or build a model ship in my basement? Should I buy a book or a bottle of wine? There's no way to compare them!! ;):lol:

[quote name='Syntax Error']Should I buy a book or a bottle of wine? There's no way to compare them!! ;):lol:[/QUOTE]

Depends on which keeps you warmer in Nordic Winter...

[quote name='dfg']dat modesty[/QUOTE]

All it took was a bit of Google work to find out the lawyer involved. Not really taking credit for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back