The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Eldredpe']So... Looks like I ought to get around to finishing Bioshock 1, right?[/QUOTE]

Good idea (about Bioshock 1).

But right now, also keep in mind, IGN's got the only review up...

[quote name='MysterD']But right now, also keep in mind, IGN's got the only review up...[/QUOTE]

And IGN have always been a little too, erm, generous with their reviews.
Still, I doubt it'll be anywhere near a bad game.

Ken Levine Verified account
‏@IGLevine
200 million for Infinite? Did someone send some checks to the wrong address?

They were sent directly from 2K/Take 2 to marketing firms, cable networks, and game 'journalist' payoffs so it wouldn't surprise me if he never saw them~

[quote name='Mooby']They were sent directly from 2K/Take 2 to marketing firms, cable networks, and game 'journalist' payoffs so it wouldn't surprise me if he never saw them~[/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='hal']omg spoilers :lol: Don't click on those achievement lists if you are the one person who has never played FFVII and plan to do so one day.[/QUOTE]

I played the shit out of FF7 when I was younger. Went through it again in 2006 instead of playing any of the latter games in the series. I tried playing through FF8 in 2010, but I was in a serious relationship and didn't have much gaming time. Not that I do now, being single. But anyway, that is a terrible achievement. It's part of the story, on the first disc (PSX standards), why does it need an achievement?! Another note, unless they fixed the coding, is that occasionally you can't unlock the final Limit Break. Each requires a certain number of kills and times used. On my first playthrough, Tifa's LB glitched at L2 and I couldn't get anything after that.

For those who are afraid to look,
the ship hits an iceberg and sinks. ;) Seriously, play the damn game and find out for yourself!

[quote name='ShadyAve']Deadlight for $3.74
I'll be picking that up[/QUOTE]

It's often frustrating, but short and kind of neat.

There's one achievement that's absolutely awful.

It requires beating the game without checkpoints. And the way the game controls makes that an exercise in absolute insanity.

Also, read the journal. Not the best way to convey plot, but it's where the most interesting bits of the story are at.

[quote name='Eldredpe']It's often frustrating, but short and kind of neat.

There's one achievement that's absolutely awful.

It requires beating the game without checkpoints. And the way the game controls makes that an exercise in absolute insanity.

Also, read the journal. Not the best way to convey plot, but it's where the most interesting bits of the story are at.[/QUOTE]
Cool, thanks for the info :)

[quote name='Eldredpe']There's one achievement that's absolutely awful.

It requires beating the game without checkpoints. And the way the game controls makes that an exercise in absolute insanity.[/QUOTE]

It's the only one achievement that I'm missing... it stings like a thorn in my side... one day, Deadlight, one day... :wall:

Been intrigued from A Valley Without Wind for a while, so I jumped on the double pack wagon as soon as I could (taking Blocks That Matter, Caster, Bumbledore, NightSky and Shadowgrounds too in the process): it looks similar to a (much) less polished version of ActRaiser, a really good and really old SNES game which blended a city building simulator with a beautiful and unforgiving platformer. Really worth checking out if you didn't already at the time :)
ActRaiser

[quote name='Eldredpe']So... Looks like I ought to get around to finishing Bioshock 1, right?[/QUOTE]
Considering the things you've been choosing to play instead, I really can't empshasise how much I think you should play BioShock 1. A truly wonderful gaming experience. And I think it's aged pretty well, too. (Avoid the sequel though, I couldn't buy into it at all)

Oh, and I'm never taking you on a road trip ever again.

[quote name='Flowette'](Avoid the sequel though, I couldn't buy into it at all)[/QUOTE]

I'm among those who liked Bioshock 2, but I've played it recently and well after the "it's not like the original/it's not from the same developers" feud that unleashed upon its release.

The story embraces the same moral and ethical themes, although its retroactive continuity seems really forced at times, with the introduction of a new opposing force which apparently influenced Rapture's inhabitants way more than your original adversaries did, and it's hard to believe that you didn't heard its name mentioned anywhere during the first game. Also, the various fetching quests can get quite annoying at times, but stages are never too big and there are a couple of additions in your normal run'n'gun gameplay that keeps things interesting, even if you have to revisit some locations more than once.

Other than that, IMO it captures the feeling of being a sequel in almost every way possible, by giving you much more options and tweaks compared to the original. All in all I'd say that, if you manage to complete and like Bioshock 1, then 2 could be well worth a shot :)

[quote name='Flowette']Considering the things you've been choosing to play instead, I really can't empshasise how much I think you should play BioShock 1. [/QUOTE]

My current choices are impeccable!

(At least I give some of them full reviews, that means something, right?)

[quote name='utopianmachine']That moment when I'm considering buying Deadlight and see it's already in my Steam account. :D[/QUOTE]
image.php

[quote name='utopianmachine']That moment when I'm considering buying Deadlight and see it's already in my Steam account. :D[/QUOTE]

Game that starts off well and by the mid-way point I hated it. Still beat it but the trial-and-error stuff was awful.

I think my biggest issue with BioShock 2 was that it wasn't BioShock 1, and I can't see past that. It's also ever so slightly different and those little differences irked me rather than impressed me. It just felt like a shoehorned sequel to a story doesn't need one.

It's probably a solid game, but my feeling is that after a couple of hours' play I didn't feel like continuing.

Deadlight was part of that Microsoft indie bundle on Amazon a lot of people got for $5 after coupon. Played it for a couple of hours, it has nice visuals and atmosphere but I found the gameplay (queue rolleyes) generic and boring. Something I'd want to experience as a movie/mini-series or graphic novel but as a game it's 'meh.'

[quote name='Flowette']...but my feeling is that after a couple of hours' play I didn't feel like continuing.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I felt about the first Bioshock.

[quote name='WilliamG']Game that starts off well and by the mid-way point I hated it. Still beat it but the trial-and-error stuff was awful.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard a couple of negative things hear about the game. Good thing it's brief. I'm installing it now and may try soon. I can't recall how I got the game (bundle?), but it looks interesting enough.

[quote name='Flowette']I think my biggest issue with BioShock 2 was that it wasn't BioShock 1, and I can't see past that. It's also ever so slightly different and those little differences irked me rather than impressed me. It just felt like a shoehorned sequel to a story doesn't need one.

It's probably a solid game, but my feeling is that after a couple of hours' play I didn't feel like continuing.[/QUOTE]
Quite honestly to me Bioshock 2 felt like a pretty meh sequel. I mean it was like Bioshock 1 but it never was as good, and I guess it never could hold me in. I guess being too similar hurt it because it wasn't different enough to distinguish itself but at the same time it never was as good to make me want to finish it.

I thought Bioshock 2 was excellent and can never understand the sorts of "unnecessary" or "weaker than Bioshock 1" complaints.

But seriously, get the Minerva's Den DLC for it. It's excellent.

[quote name='Junpei']Been intrigued from A Valley Without Wind for a while, so I jumped on the double pack wagon as soon as I could (taking Blocks That Matter, Caster, Bumbledore, NightSky and Shadowgrounds too in the process): it looks similar to a (much) less polished version of ActRaiser, a really good and really old SNES game which blended a city building simulator with a beautiful and unforgiving platformer. Really worth checking out if you didn't already at the time :)
ActRaiser[/QUOTE]

Been playing AVWW2 for about an hour and was about to say that. Actraiser is one of the best SNES games I've played, and I dare to say AVWW 2 can be a great spiritual successor.

From the start I noticed I would like the game: the soundtrack is awesome!. Maybe is just me, maybe later the game become awful, I don't know... But I'm loving it so far. I just want to return home to continue playing it!

Quit wasting time with Legendary and play Bioshock. Both of them as they are both very good.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I thought Bioshock 2 was excellent and can never understand the sorts of "unnecessary" or "weaker than Bioshock 1" complaints.

But seriously, get the Minerva's Den DLC for it. It's excellent.[/QUOTE]

I think the second isn't quite as good, but it's really a slim margin. I think the only knock would be it's kind of samey, been there, done that. But when people are clamoring for a sequel, what would you expect?

I enjoyed Deadlight. Can see where some people would hate it though. There was definitely a lot of trial and error and some just plain annoying parts like the Rats Nest area. Was worth it for me though, probably would have not felt so at $15 lol.

My problem with Bioshock 2 was not the game itself. I bought both on a bundle some years ago, finished BS1 and immediately moved to BS2. I quit playing after an hour because I wanted to try something different. BS1 is an intense game, I needed a break after finished it. I should begin playing BS2 again, with a fresh mind.

[quote name='MysterD']My God - supposedly, the game has costed over $100 million to develop; and another $100 million for marketing.
So that's at least over $200 million total here...[/QUOTE]
My wife and I saw a TV commercial for Bioshock: Infinite last night. She's never, ever going to play it (or any game that isn't tablet Solitaire) but it was enough to make her ask "What on earth was that?" and when I quickly described it as a game taking place in a turn-of-the-century Americana steampunk-like environment she thought it sounded kind of cool. Still won't play it but maybe when she sees me playing it she won't roll her eyes :lol:

Finally bit on the Infinite pre-order at Gamersgate.

$45 in blue coins for:
Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock 1 (will give out for free)
X-Com (will sell)
Civ 5 (might sell, might keep)
$24 in credit at Gamersgate

That's a damn good deal for a game that isn't even out yet.

I tried playing Bioshock 1 the other night, because I've never played any of the series. I purchased an AMD graphics card and will be getting Bioshock Infinite for free, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I wasn't able to get sound to work after the initial cutscene. I tried about 10 different fixes that were proposed in the Steam forum, but none of them worked. Finally gave up and uninstalled. Not sure if I'll be redeeming my code or selling it.

[quote name='momouchi']Finally bit on the Infinite pre-order at Gamersgate.

$45 in blue coins for:
Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock 1 (will give out for free)
X-Com (will sell)
Civ 5 (might sell, might keep)
$24 in credit at Gamersgate

That's a damn good deal for a game that isn't even out yet.[/QUOTE]

Indeed it is. I would totally get in on this if I had the 20% off. As it is, I'll just have to sit this one out and be grateful I at least got my Bethesda bundle. XCOM should hit the $7.50 mark by summer, right? :D

[quote name='annihilator']Indeed it is. I would totally get in on this if I had the 20% off. As it is, I'll just have to sit this one out and be grateful I at least got my Bethesda bundle. XCOM should hit the $7.50 mark by summer, right? :D[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Bioshock Infinite will drop pretty fast considering all the people who have already pre-ordered.

Does Bioshock 2 run under Windows 7/8 now? I remember reading that it wouldn't work under 7 when it came out so I avoided it for that reason. The first one was fun but felt a bit long to me.

[quote name='jshackles']I tried playing Bioshock 1 the other night, because I've never played any of the series. I purchased an AMD graphics card and will be getting Bioshock Infinite for free, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I wasn't able to get sound to work after the initial cutscene. I tried about 10 different fixes that were proposed in the Steam forum, but none of them worked. Finally gave up and uninstalled. Not sure if I'll be redeeming my code or selling it.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried plugging something into the microphone input on your computer? It doesn't matter if it's just a pair of headphones or whatever else will fit in that jack.

When I saw somebody suggest that online as a fix to that problem (which I ran into as well) I fully expected to discover that the guy was just screwing with me. Much to my astonishment though, it actually worked. Can't promise that it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

Gotta be the strangest fix that I've ever seen.

[quote name='warreni']Does Bioshock 2 run under Windows 7/8 now? I remember reading that it wouldn't work under 7 when it came out so I avoided it for that reason. The first one was fun but felt a bit long to me.[/QUOTE]

It worked for me on win 7 64 back then...

[quote name='The End']Have you tried plugging something into the microphone input on your computer? It doesn't matter if it's just a pair of headphones or whatever else will fit in that jack.

When I saw somebody suggest that online as a fix to that problem (which I ran into as well) I fully expected to discover that the guy was just screwing with me. Much to my astonishment though, it actually worked. Can't promise that it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

Gotta be the strangest fix that I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Hmm you know, it's probably the only fix I didn't try, since it seemed (like you thought) that people suggesting it were just being trolls.

Might have to re-install and give that a try. Being that it's one of the most highly regarded series of all time on Steam (according to Metacritic) I thought it would be worth at least a play through.

[quote name='jshackles']Hmm you know, it's probably the only fix I didn't try, since it seemed (like you thought) that people suggesting it were just being trolls.

Might have to re-install and give that a try. Being that it's one of the most highly regarded series of all time on Steam (according to Metacritic) I thought it would be worth at least a play through.[/QUOTE]

Bioshock 1 and to a point Bioshock 2 sound on the PC is generally pretty shitty. I had trouble with both games.

In terms of everyone talking about the first and second. About 2 months ago I played thru both games in about a week.
I enjoyed Bioshock 2 much more than Bioshock 1 honestly, game felt cleaner and the upgrades were paced better. Also the shitty hacking system is so much better in Bioshock 2 hahaha. I guess you could say why was this sequel necessary and some people might not be able to look past that but it didn't bother me at all. Also agree on the Minerva's Den DLC which was awesome. It adds another 5-8 hours and is also really fun, it's probably better experience than the main game.

Does anyone know if the Green Man Gaming Bioshock Deal give you instant $15 credit?

I am 2 seconds from pulling the trigger if so because the Borderlands 2 DLC is 50% off today.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Does anyone know if the Green Man Gaming Bioshock Deal give you instant $15 credit?

I am 2 seconds from pulling the trigger if so because the Borderlands 2 DLC is 50% off today.[/QUOTE]

Saw somewhere on there that it's a 2-3 day wait.

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is the accounting software You Need a Budget 4 at 66% off ($20.40) because all of the indie games are already on sale?[/QUOTE]

Think they're sending us Cheapasses or backlog collectors a message to be cheaper even more. :D

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is the accounting software You Need a Budget 4 at 66% off ($20.40) because all of the indie games are already on sale?[/QUOTE]

fuck me. I bought this 2 days ago after waiting 2 weeks for a sale after my trial ran out.

[quote name='Preedatore']fuck me. I bought this 2 days ago after waiting 2 weeks for a sale after my trial ran out.[/QUOTE]

Ouch.

It didn't even happen to me and I felt that pain.

[quote name='Preedatore']fuck me. I bought this 2 days ago after waiting 2 weeks for a sale after my trial ran out.[/QUOTE]
You know what they say about sales and games products on Steam.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back