The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleh @ all that Gears 3 DLC.
And bleh @ Microsoft and Epic not getting Gears 2, 3, and Judgment ported to the PC.

EDIT:
Train Simulator 2013 looks like it needs some Multiple Season Passes; An ALL DLC Only Box; and an Ultimate Edition.

[quote name='travathian']
Frankly I think buying a game + a season pass right off the bat is ludicrous. You have no idea if a game is going to be good or not, so not only do you buy it, but then pay extra for additional content? I'm firmly in the "wait til super ultimate platinum complete edition" now. [/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I got burned with BL2 because I absolutely loved BL1, put about 80 hours into it right before BL2 came out. GreenManGaming had a pre-order deal that was about $33 for the game itself and 20% off the season pass. All together it was about $55 iirc. Turns out that I really didn't like BL2 as much as BL1, and wasted a bunch of money. Lesson learned. My justification was "it was on sale and the game + season pass is less than the MSRP of the game by itself."

Frankly I think buying a game + a season pass right off the bat is ludicrous. You have no idea if a game is going to be good or not, so not only do you buy it, but then pay extra for additional content? I'm firmly in the "wait til super ultimate platinum complete edition" now. My backlog is ridiculous and the more I hear about new games and this crap, the more it makes me glad I won't even think about buying them for months and years.[/QUOTE]
This is becoming more & more true, as time goes along...

[quote name='jshackles']I'm with you. I got burned with BL2 because I absolutely loved BL1, put about 80 hours into it right before BL2 came out. GreenManGaming had a pre-order deal that was about $33 for the game itself and 20% off the season pass. All together it was about $55 iirc. Turns out that I really didn't like BL2 as much as BL1, and wasted a bunch of money. Lesson learned.[/QUOTE]

I liked BL2 a lot more than BL1, but my God the writing is terrible in BL2. Every damn mission is go to point A, LOL SILLY GAG LOLOLOLOLOLOL, go to point B, kill 5 million doodz, LOL SILLY GAG LOLOLOLOLOL, turn in quest.

Anthony Burch must have been drunk when writing the game. He actually banned me from his livestream because of Telltale's The Walking Dead. After the credits when they show the final scene he proclaimed that the scene "ruined the entire game" for him. People in the chat started spreading their asscheeks and agreeing with him saying it was terrible, they hate Telltale for ruining the game for them, they are glad they didn't buy it, etc.(keep in mind this isn't "I'm so emotional you ruined the game" but legit "you ruined the game I'm boycotting your company" speak).

So I tell the people in chat to stop crying about it and that the scene is good in my opinion. About 5 seconds later I hear "Well fuck you CaptainUrahara" and I get banned. No warning, no counter argument, just a ban :applause:

[quote name='MysterD']This is becoming more & more true, as time goes along...[/QUOTE]

Particularly for someone like me that doesn't play competitive multiplayer games (so no need to map packs), and there are so few developers that manage to put out singleplayer DLC that's worth buying/playing.

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I liked BL2 a lot more than BL1, but my God the writing is terrible in BL2. Every damn mission is go to point A, LOL SILLY GAG LOLOLOLOLOLOL, go to point B, kill 5 million doodz, LOL SILLY GAG LOLOLOLOLOL, turn in quest.[/quote]
You pretty much summed-up how most of the ARPG plays out [go to area(s); kill dudes or collect a bunch of things; turn in quest]....
...except I guess that BL2 tosses in Silly Gags. :p

[quote name='Eldredpe']Particularly for someone like me that doesn't play competitive multiplayer games (so no need to map packs), and there are so few developers that manage to put out singleplayer DLC that's worth buying/playing.[/QUOTE]

I miss the old days of competitive MP, where games often came w/ SDK...
...so, you didn't really need to buy DLC MP packs or anything. You just downloaded a new user-made map from somewhere online.
If a game was popular (like RTCW, Quake series, UT series) - this usually was NOT a problem.

EDIT:
Yeah, I never bought MP map packs for games like COD: MW 2 + 3; & Max Payne 3.

[quote name='asheskitty']Shift Keys:
GMG has Nights Into Dreams for $2.72 (after GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD) (steam key, I'd seen a few min of gameplay, it looks like it got similar graphical treatment as Jet Set Radio did).[/QUOTE]

Excellent! Love how you posted the current discount code as well, I usually keep them in a text file, but that was even quicker. Thanks Ashes.... or Ms. Kitty, whichever you prefer.

[quote name='MysterD']It wouldn't surprise me (if Borderlands 2 will have Multiple Season Passes).

Though, I figured they'd do that 1st w/ Aliens: Colonial Marines. :p ;)[/QUOTE]

I actually thought it had already been confirmed, but I did a quick bit of searching and I wasn't able to turn up anything. I'm sure Gearbox will be trying to milk B2 with the way ACM came out.

Who wants to take bets on how long after the last season pass dlc drops that they'll announce the next "season."

[quote name='Captain Urahara']Saints Row The Third had the problem where they said there was a season pass that contained the big story DLCs. That was it. Then after that came out they released a ton of of smaller DLCs that weren't included to sucker people out of money.[/QUOTE]
SRTT didn't bother me because I only really care about content-based DLC. The SRTT Season Pass provided that and didn't have me paying for hot dog suits or shark guns or other novelty things I don't care about. Let me buy all the content-expanding DLC at once and if there's some novelty thing I want to pick up a la carte, I'll do so later.

On the indie banner on the front page, which game is the character from, 5th of the 7th counting from the left? The one with white hair next to the super meat boy character?

[quote name='kaply']On the indie banner on the front page, which game is the character from, 5th of the 7th counting from the left? The one with white hair next to the super meat boy character?[/QUOTE]

The 5th is supposedly from Half Minute Hero (heard that second hand) and the 7th is from Recettear

A bunch of us were talking about Recettear a few pages back. I can recommend it for the price it's at, but it has been cheaper in the past, particularly when it was in an steam indie bundle of 5 games for $5. The translators expressed regret over the deal later on, I think, so I don't know if it'll go under $5 again.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']The 5th is supposedly from Half Minute Hero (heard that second hand) and the 7th is from Recettear

A bunch of us were talking about Recettear a few pages back. I can recommend it for the price it's at, but it has been cheaper in the past, particularly when it was in an steam indie bundle of 5 games for $5. The translators expressed regret over the deal later on, I think, so I don't know if it'll go under $5 again.[/QUOTE]

For Recettear, I believe that they usually offer a Carpe Fulgur pack during the steam summer/winter sale - so wait for that if you don't have Fortune Summoners or Chantelise :)

[quote name='kaply']On the indie banner on the front page, which game is the character from, 5th of the 7th counting from the left? The one with white hair next to the super meat boy character?[/QUOTE]

I'll confirm that's the Time Goddess from Half-Minute Hero.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']The 5th is supposedly from Half Minute Hero (heard that second hand) and the 7th is from Recettear

A bunch of us were talking about Recettear a few pages back. I can recommend it for the price it's at, but it has been cheaper in the past, particularly when it was in an steam indie bundle of 5 games for $5. The translators expressed regret over the deal later on, I think, so I don't know if it'll go under $5 again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I had actually just wanted info on the 5th of 7 lol. I already picked up recettear when it was part of a 5 dollar indie bundle from steam. It was pretty much the only reason I bought the bundle. As to Recettear being part of another bundle, I doubt steam will do 5 dollar bundles any more and usually a 20 dollar bundle is just filled with so much junk titles that it wouldn't be worth it. Capitalism HO!

Frankly I think buying a game + a season pass right off the bat is ludicrous. You have no idea if a game is going to be good or not, so not only do you buy it, but then pay extra for additional content? I'm firmly in the "wait til super ultimate platinum complete edition" now. My backlog is ridiculous and the more I hear about new games and this crap, the more it makes me glad I won't even think about buying them for months and years.[/QUOTE]

Did this with Halo 4. Its the only time I've ever bought a season pass and its one of the very few DLCs i've ever bought. I think I got tired of Halo 4 just as the first map pack came out. I think they've release 1 or 2 more and i've never even downloaded them. I was convinced I would be playing Halo 4 for years, but it didnt even make it past a couple of months.

Speaking of BL2 and season passes: level cap increase coming April 2 for $5 unless you have the season pass. Also the new incoming character is $10 regardless of if you have the pass.

[quote name='Preedatore']Speaking of BL2 and season passes: level cap increase coming April 2 for $5 unless you have the season pass. Also the new incoming character is $10 regardless of if you have the pass.[/QUOTE]
:hot:

$5 for a level cap increase?! fucking greedy bastards!! Now I'm glad I didn't get it in the weekend deal @ GMG, not really fond of allowing greedy companies to shove it up my rear.

This is why I just recently finally purchased BL1 GOTY for like $6.75. I couldn't be more pleased. I'll wait for a BL2 GOTY Ultimate Gold Full Package Special Duper Super Edition.

[quote name='Izod517']This is why I just recently finally purchased BL1 GOTY for like $6.75. I couldn't be more pleased. I'll wait for a BL2 GOTY Ultimate Gold Full Package Special Duper Super Edition.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and that price sounds about right for it too.

[quote name='Izod517']I'll wait for a BL2 GOTY Ultimate Gold Full Package Special Duper Super Edition.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for the extra mini-pet that comes with the BL2 GOTY Ultimate Gold Full Package Special Duper Super Edition: Directors Cut myself.

Gotta have me that Claptraplet pet.

[quote name='Flowette']I'm waiting for the extra mini-pet that comes with the BL2 GOTY Ultimate Gold Full Package Special Duper Super Edition: Directors Cut myself.

Gotta have me that Claptraplet pet.[/QUOTE]

But you gotta pay extra for it to have the ability to follow you. Otherwise you hafta run back and click on it every 30 seconds.

Does anybody know whether Steam lets you activate soundtrack gifts if you don't own the game on Steam? I'm interested in the To The Moon soundtrack but only own it on Gog.com.

[quote name='warreni']Does anybody know whether Steam lets you activate soundtrack gifts if you don't own the game on Steam? I'm interested in the To The Moon soundtrack but only own it on Gog.com.[/QUOTE]

Could you just try adding the soundtrack to your cart and see if it allows that?

[quote name='jshackles']Season passes really piss me off. I purchased the BL2 season pass when it was cheap at GreenManGaming right around the time of the game's release. While I still feel that the price was good and that I am able to get the DLC I was originally promised, I was under the impression when I bought it that it would be a kind of "complete" experience. [/QUOTE]

I thought they were pretty up front about it all. Before the game was even released they announced that the exclusive Gamestop "arena" would be available as future DLC and would not be included in the Season Pass. They also gave away the Mechromancery character to everyone pre-ordering and said it too would be available as future separate DLC.

The only thing that annoys me is that they don't have all those skins bundled for one reasonable price. I bought one or two that looked cool, but... the only thing that would annoy me more is if they now bundle all of those skins for one reasonable price.

[quote name='DonRamon']:hot:

$5 for a level cap increase?! fucking greedy bastards!! Now I'm glad I didn't get it in the weekend deal @ GMG, not really fond of allowing greedy companies to shove it up my rear.[/QUOTE]

The level cap increase is also part of a new Ultra True Vault Hunter Mode. No idea what that entails, but it could very well mean new iterations of creatures just like TVHM.

[quote name='Preedatore']Could you just try adding the soundtrack to your cart and see if it allows that?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did, but it treats this like a regular DLC - you get to the payment screen and it says you can't purchase because it requires the ownership of another game on Steam.

[quote name='warreni']Yes, I did, but it treats this like a regular DLC - you get to the payment screen and it says you can't purchase because it requires the ownership of another game on Steam.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking a gift would give the same error if you tried to redeem it then.

[quote name='Preedatore']I'm thinking a gift would give the same error if you tried to redeem it then.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was afraid that was probably the case.

Anybody out there who owns Cities XL 2011 or Cities XL 2012 want to check & see if they're still offering the 85% discount on Cities XL Platinum? It was part of the deal of the week last week and now that that has ended I no longer see the note about previous game owners being eligible for the discount. I fear that I waited too long.

If the promo is still active, it's should show up for $4.50 if you own one of the previous games.

EDIT: Never Mind. Looks like the 85% discount has returned.

[quote name='The End']Well I guess somebody should get around to posting today's deal. DiRT 3 - $24.99 $8.49[/QUOTE]

Great Deal! I'm quite sure that's the lowest it's been (barring ebay codes from GPUs). Dirt 3 is a good racer and different enough from Dirt 2. Reviews sometimes slammed the gymkahana stuff that I though was interesting as it added creative expression in performance. If you like arcade/sim-lite racers, Dirt 3 at this price is well worth it. (Of course it's 66% off, so it could go lower by summer, and Codemasters is finally running decent sales on their games again after a hiatus of a couple years.)

[quote name='hal']Holy crap... look at these BioShock Infinite scores http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bioshock-infinite/critic-reviews[/QUOTE]

So many 100s, 2K must have been writing a lot of big cheques.
(I'm not saying it not a good game, but that many 100s is really unusual.)

[quote name='warreni']Yes, I did, but it treats this like a regular DLC - you get to the payment screen and it says you can't purchase because it requires the ownership of another game on Steam.[/QUOTE]

I suspect they treat it as DLC simply because it downloads to Steam/SteamApps/common/GameX/Soundtrack.

[quote name='The End']Well I guess somebody should get around to posting today's deal. DiRT 3 - $24.99 $8.49[/QUOTE]

brought it now need dirt 2 go on sale and codemaster and steam to work and put dirt 1 back on steam

This isn't steam related, but it's for the PC, so I'm sure most people wont mind.

PopCap is giving away PC copies of Peggle for FREE in honor of Pax East. Go to this page and claim your copy. I would imagine that it's a limited time deal, so don't dally.

I saw this first over on Slickdeals, but they're kinda dinks over there. So I'm officially giving credit to BronsonsArmor for posting it on the Contests & Free stuff board.

[quote name='The End']This isn't steam related, but it's for the PC, so I'm sure most people wont mind.

PopCap is giving away PC copies of Peggle for FREE in honor of Pax East. Go to this page and claim your copy. I would imagine that it's a limited time deal, so don't dally.

I saw this first over on Slickdeals, but they're kinda dinks over there. So I'm officially giving credit to BronsonsArmor for posting it on the Contests & Free stuff board.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! DLing it now.

[quote name='tebowdragon15']brought it now need dirt 2 go on sale and codemaster and steam to work and put dirt 1 back on steam[/QUOTE]

Dirt 2 is well worth it (Dirt 1 too). I doubt Dirt 1 is coming back. If you want to see rage check out the GOG forum rage at Colin McRae Rally 2005 being pulled from GOG in '09. Dirt 2 passed the 3 year mark in December. I wouldn't recommend waiting for too many more steam seasonal sales to pick it up, if you're really interested in it (i.e. arcade racer/sim-lite fan).

[quote name='warreni']Worst one out of 35 was an 80. Looks like folks who pre-ordered are going to get their money's worth. . . .[/QUOTE]

Thats some amazing scores! Still satisfied with waiting though. Although the pre-order deals were incredible, it was really only useful if you didn't have many of the other 2K games.....

[quote name='The End']This isn't steam related, but it's for the PC, so I'm sure most people wont mind.
PopCap is giving away PC copies of Peggle for FREE in honor of Pax East. Go to this page and claim your copy. I would imagine that it's a limited time deal, so don't dally. [/QUOTE]

And if you want Steam related, I'd point that Peggle Extreme is free on steam.

Yeah. Season passes most definitely don't get you everything. You'd think I'd have learned after Darksiders II and Saints Row 3, but no, same with Borderlands 2. I suppose its easy to think, oh I get everything. Not how it works and thus I will gravitate away from season pass es and towards the GOTY. Now that 60$ games all come with 120$ of dlc. Oh the days where you got it all and that was that. Majora's Mask for 60$ and the complete story with all the items sat in your N64. The nickel and diming is getting sickening. The only thing this will do for publishers is never get my money day 1 ever again, always waiting for sales, packs, and second hand. Day 1 gets you nothing, except support for more nickels,dimes, 3/4 of the story (the other 1/4 behind a pay barrier), and 120$ worth of dlc down the road. No thanks.

Majora's Mask but each extra mask is an extra 5$. CHA ****ING CHING! And you all know damn! well thats how Ubi/Activision/EA would do it today.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Not how it works and thus I will gravitate away from season pass es and towards the GOTY.[/QUOTE]

Civilization V GOTY, anyone?

[quote name='stapleking']If you bought Anodyne direct from the developer you can now get the Steam key from your Humble Library.[/QUOTE]

Sucks I missed that. I'm interested at $1.

I guess for the most part the flood of DLC packages for games doesn't bother me all that much.

It's not like I have to buy them. Most DLC is subpar, to begin with, so I wait to hear if it's worth getting, and if it's something stand-out and excellent like Minerva's Den, or Old World Blues, or Human Link, I'm happy to pick it up and enjoy a quality experience for a game I enjoyed.

Otherwise I don't buy it.

There's this attitude that we as consumers are being held hostage by aggressive DLC plans, but how often have you really missed out by not playing the DLC? Most of the "nickel and diming" amounts to cosmetics and early unlocks, and more substantial packages are often padded out content from the B-team that isn't worth picking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back