The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Flowette']Fallen Enchantress is 50% off at GamersGate UK (£10.00) this weekend. How much is it in the US? And is that Bethesda cock-up 20% discount still live?[/QUOTE]

$15 in the US. The discount is still active, which brings it to $12. According to the online currency converter that I just checked, that equals £7.88. So it's a tiny bit cheaper here in the US.

[quote name='The End']$15 in the US. The discount is still active, which brings it to $12. According to the online currency converter that I just checked, that equals £7.88.[/QUOTE]
That's a worthwhile saving and a price I'm willing to pay. Hmm.

I'll sit on it and see how my bets on the Grand National fare.

[quote name='The End']$15 in the US. The discount is still active, which brings it to $12. According to the online currency converter that I just checked, that equals £7.88. So it's a tiny bit cheaper here in the US.[/QUOTE]

or you can just find someone on Steam who owns FE already and as a result can gift you FE: LH for half price (€15 or $20 I thinK)

[quote name='Pheace']or you can just find someone on Steam who owns FE already and as a result can gift you FE: LH for half price (€15 or $20 I thinK)[/QUOTE]

But does that give me a copy of FE to play today? I sorta want something to play tonight while the wife is out at a Hen Do. :)

LH is a pretty shameless cash grab by Stardock -- vast majority of the improvements are stuff you'd expect from non paid patches.

[quote name='Flowette']But does that give me a copy of FE to play today? I sorta want something to play tonight while the wife is out at a Hen Do. :)[/QUOTE]

Wtf is a Hen Do and how do I get my wife to go to them??!

Edit : bachelorette party

[quote name='DPsycho']What's a Hen Do?

It clucks and lays eggs.

Now if I could only unlock the deep, ancient mysteries of the Hedway.[/QUOTE]

Tao Te Hed*

[quote name='Flowette']But does that give me a copy of FE to play today? I sorta want something to play tonight while the wife is out at a Hen Do. :)[/QUOTE]

No, but it will give you access to play the FE:LH beta today.

[quote name='MysterD']Wait....am I reading this right...
FE:LH contains FE?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. It's a Standalone expansion, so there's little point getting FE at this point, and FE:LH is instantly playable if you get it now. I'd offer to get it for people but a $20 deal is probably still better than my €15. (Edit, according to Google translate it's actually pretty close), feel free to add me on Steam if anyone's interested in FE:LH for €15/$20

The L4D2 update to RE6 made it have awful framerate gradual drops to unplayable state. This is the buggiest MT Framework release I've seen.

Oooh, finally get to purchase the latest Sniper Elite V2 DLC for 75% off. I think the only one I paid a little more for was Kill Hitler, but it was worth it.

[quote name='asheskitty']I feel Snajper Elite V2 is overdue for a MSRP drop.
[/QUOTE]

The PS3 and 360 got the Silver Star Edition that comes with the DLC for $30. The fact that the PC version w/o DLC is still $50 means it is way overdue for a price drop. I'm going to wait a few months for the summer sale so I can hopefully pick it up for $7.50 or less.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Oooh, finally get to purchase the latest Sniper Elite V2 DLC for 75% off. I think the only one I paid a little more for was Kill Hitler, but it was worth it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, surprised they didn't keep the last 2 DLC's retail priced with everything else on sale, like they've been doing. Also, the Hitler/Rifle pack doesn't show up (green bar) as me owning, but DLC list in Steam shows them separately as being owned. I remeber buying them as a pack before though.

Careful people, Summer Sale is just around the corner. Use your "Cagly" discretion.....I shall buy now.

By the way, to get this thread back on topic... Ashes, when you were talking about suffocating someone with your thighs around their neck, what did you call that move exactly....the Ginger Snap??

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='travathian']So glad I didn't waste a dime on pre-purchasing AoEII HD.[/QUOTE]

Is there something wrong with the game? I'm definitely interested in it (loved AoE 1, looking for the time to play AoE 3), but I'm waiting until a big sale for it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']The L4D2 update to RE6 made it have awful framerate gradual drops to unplayable state. This is the buggiest MT Framework release I've seen.[/QUOTE]

Even the menu select screen felt sluggish now, I hope they get it fix soon.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']So are there FE LHdeals? Past 20$?[/QUOTE]

Strictly speaking there is no FE LH deal @$20, that just happens to be the price for the people who own FE already, and for some reason they can gift the LH version as well for that price. FE LH is $40, and any deals you see on that will be on the $40 price no doubt.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']Is there something wrong with the game? I'm definitely interested in it (loved AoE 1, looking for the time to play AoE 3), but I'm waiting until a big sale for it.[/QUOTE]

It's not an HD remake at all. The only noticeable difference my friend and I found is that the grass and water is no longer red. They didn't fix the lag once you get over 200 units, making it just as unplayable as the original AoE2. A horrible and cheap marketing tactic. Be glad you didn't buy it.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']Is there something wrong with the game? I'm definitely interested in it (loved AoE 1, looking for the time to play AoE 3), but I'm waiting until a big sale for it.[/QUOTE]

I played for about an hour last night and... it didn't age as well as I would have liked. After playing Starcraft II (or even Starcraft I) there are just so many things that are frustrating about the experience. Things you take for granted like chaining orders, queuing research, etc.

It's less of a remake and more along the lines of something you would see released on GOG.

[quote name='Blade']It's not an HD remake at all. The only noticeable difference my friend and I found is that the grass and water is no longer red. They didn't fix the lag once you get over 200 units, making it just as unplayable as the original AoE2. A horrible and cheap marketing tactic. Be glad you didn't buy it.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that sounds exactly like an HD remake to me. But then again when I hear HD remake I know what is coming is the same game with slightly improved visuals which tends to be the case almost every time. Of course I am used to console HD remakes so who knows many PC ones are different.

[quote name='Blade']Asheskitty is Florence Welch.

Carry on.[/QUOTE]

Due to Ashes' love of racing, I always thought Asheskitty was Danica Patrick.
{shrug}

[quote name='annihilator']Man, there needs to be a Steam sale soon. I'm actually playing games and not just buying them. This doesn't feel right...[/QUOTE]

Quite the opposite here. I need a steam sale so i buy games to play. I burned through the Spec Ops 2/Darkness 2 bundle and about 3/4 through Bioshock Infinite. But i do have that D&D GOG bundle to hold me over till some crazy sales happen i suppose. Going to dive into BG1 tonight.

[quote name='MysterD']Due to Ashes' love of racing, I always thought Asheskitty was Danica Patrick.
{shrug}[/QUOTE]

Well, she's a ginger so I dunno. Maybe she's both...?

Danica Patrick + Florence Welch =

...Flanica Wetrich?

(I morphed them together, but it looked awful so here's a Flan)

[quote name='Kaltic']Hmm, that sounds exactly like an HD remake to me. But then again when I hear HD remake I know what is coming is the same game with slightly improved visuals which tends to be the case almost every time. Of course I am used to console HD remakes so who knows many PC ones are different.[/QUOTE]
lol, not this again.

HD remake just means better graphics!
No, HD remake means fixed gameplay!

Getting deja vu. :lol:

[quote name='MysterD']Due to Ashes' love of racing, I always thought Asheskitty was Danica Patrick.
{shrug}[/QUOTE]
Obviously.

ZhdlaqO.png

[quote name='Idiotekque']lol, not this again.

HD remake just means better graphics!
No, HD remake means fixed gameplay!

Getting deja vu. :lol:

Obviously.

[/QUOTE]

I wasn't saying what it means, but just based off of the history of HD remakes it seems that the trend is to simply enhance the visuals and support higher resolutions while not really changing anything else. Since that seems to be the trend I am just surprised when people expect a lot more from them.

The word remake it terrible for how it is being used because it can mean multiple things.

Just don't go assuming what I was trying to do now...

[quote name='Kaltic']I wasn't saying what it means, but just based off of the history of HD remakes it seems that the trend is to simply enhance the visuals and support higher resolutions while not really changing anything else. Since that seems to be the trend I am just surprised when people expect a lot more from them.

The word remake it terrible for how it is being used because it can mean multiple things.

Just don't go assuming what I was trying to do now...[/QUOTE]
Nah, I know what you mean and I agree. I was just laughing because the same conversation about the same game happened a week or so ago, lol.

[quote name='Blade']It's not an HD remake at all. The only noticeable difference my friend and I found is that the grass and water is no longer red. They didn't fix the lag once you get over 200 units, making it just as unplayable as the original AoE2. A horrible and cheap marketing tactic. Be glad you didn't buy it.[/QUOTE]

And according to the forums, MP is largely broken as most people can't finish a game and some can't even get a MP game going. So glad they spent all that time on achievements and the workshop . . . maybe they are expecting the community to create its own patches and distribute via the workshop ala any Bathesda title.

bit on gog promo. this is what I consider on the verge of a pretty good deal. usually they are overpriced on just about everything. It still could be better, but I like what gog is doing. Witcher 3 DRM free etc. You gotta also honor how they price their witcher games, extremely aggressive compared to other gouging publishers.

I got in on the GoG D&D deal before they added NWN2 to their catalog, so I was now able to buy it alone at 80% off. Easy decision for four bucks.

[quote name='Blade']
(I morphed them together, but it looked awful so here's a Flan)
[/QUOTE]
Mine wasn't horrible but let's say that one party got the shorter end of the stick.

Danica-jpg--Florence-jpg.jpeg

[quote name='Drabelincoln']but it will have Tages DRM, with SecurRom and a 5 pc activation limit[/QUOTE]

Square Enix and Eidos go Steamworks only on PC versions, these days & age.

EDIT:
[quote name='Idiotekque']Next week, probably.[/QUOTE]
That would be nice. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back