The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='NeoRez']Any idea on if it's worth getting the Walking Dead on Steam? I'm assuming it has all five episodes, but I may be a tard and read wrong.[/QUOTE]

WD has been cheaper and will be cheaper again. That said it's a solid game - with a fantastic story (mostly). I'd bet it'll show up again in the next big sale.

[quote name='utopianmachine']So if I found the original Bioshock upsetting, am I going to be disturbed by Infinite? I have a free code for the game, and I was thinking of redeeming it. But I'm a weenie girly gamer.[/QUOTE]

What disturbed you about Bioshock? If it was the horror-ish atmosphere of mutated broken men and women, then yes, Infinite has none of that.

It retains the original's propensity for graphic violence, though.

[quote name='Izod517']WD has been cheaper and will be cheaper again. That said it's a solid game - with a fantastic story (mostly). I'd bet it'll show up again in the next big sale.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was just wondering since right now that sounds like a good deal, I actually went to go get a steam wallet code for it. Though, if it may be cheaper in the upcoming months, I should wait. :D I still have some backlogged things I want to start.

The game might drop to around $7.50 or so on sale, probably not lower than that, but sales do come around probably at least monthly if you have a backlog to get to.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I've always been curious who the one person who likes this thread on Facebook is.[/QUOTE]

I think that I hit that button by accident a while ago when I wasn't even logged into facebook, and the number went up. I checked my account, but I didn't notice anything suggesting that I had liked it.

[quote name='asheskitty']I never played Carmadeggon 3... kinda glad I never did. (Bad game make by a different dev.)[/QUOTE]
...And we finally found a racing game you ain't played! :p

[quote name='utopianmachine']So if I found the original Bioshock upsetting, am I going to be disturbed by Infinite? I have a free code for the game, and I was thinking of redeeming it. But I'm a weenie girly gamer.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with the previous posts. The horror aspect of the game is all but gone. The setting and inhabitants of Infinite are decidedly less disturbing (in a classic horror sense) than the original.

It still tackles mature themes like religious fanaticism and racism if that disturbs you. There's also a fair bit of gore if you're one to melee rather than shoot.

Still, the story makes the game absolutely worth playing. When you're finished with the game you will probably have to sit and think through what you just experienced. When it all comes together you'll realize it's much deeper than your average game. Even more so than the original.

There is one scene that might give you a scare still. It's mostly relaxing, and completely different from the mood of Bioshock.

[quote name='hal']When it all comes together you'll realize it's much deeper than your average game. Even more so than the original.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elessar123']
Respectfully disagree.[/QUOTE]

To each his own, I suppose. You do know I'm talking about the story and not necessarily the gameplay, correct? Because the story is way more complex than BioShock ever hoped to be.

I will say that I like the setting of Rapture a lot better than Columbia, but that's another discussion.

[quote name='hal']I'll agree with the previous posts. The horror aspect of the game is all but gone. The setting and inhabitants of Infinite are decidedly less disturbing (in a classic horror sense) than the original.

It still tackles mature themes like religious fanaticism and racism if that disturbs you. There's also a fair bit of gore if you're one to melee rather than shoot.

Still, the story makes the game absolutely worth playing. When you're finished with the game you will probably have to sit and think through what you just experienced. When it all comes together you'll realize it's much deeper than your average game. Even more so than the original.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I'll watch some gameplay footage soon and see if it's my type of game. Thanks very much for the feedback.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Good to know. I'll watch some gameplay footage soon and see if it's my type of game. Thanks very much for the feedback.[/QUOTE]

Be careful not to watch any spoilers, the story was great and I really enjoyed it. I actually didn't love the first bioshock, the controls were not as fine tuned and the story didn't grab me as much as this one did. I am on my second play through picking up on little aspects I missed the first time. It's a great game and tons of fun to play.

[quote name='hal']I'll agree with the previous posts. The horror aspect of the game is all but gone. The setting and inhabitants of Infinite are decidedly less disturbing (in a classic horror sense) than the original. [/QUOTE]
So basically it sucked my single favorite aspect of Bioshock out of the game. Good to know.

[quote name='Idiotekque']So basically it sucked my single favorite aspect of Bioshock out of the game. Good to know.[/QUOTE]

Rapture and the splicers were my favorite parts of BioShock as well. Columbia is a wonder to behold (any trailer shows that much), but it doesn't give you that same sense of dread.

Even so, the thought provoking story is worth the price of admission. Your companion, Elizabeth (seen in all the trailers), is right up there with Half Life 2's Alyx Vance in terms of an AI companion that actually adds to the experience.

[quote name='spoderman']If you signed up for the free Magicka DLC in February, you should've received an email today with a key for Magicka: Glüüms Temple[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the alert. I had to dig through my spam folder to find it. I never would have known it was there.

[quote name='hal']Rapture and the splicers were my favorite parts of BioShock as well. Columbia is a wonder to behold (any trailer shows that much), but it doesn't give you that same sense of dread.

Even so, the thought provoking story is worth the price of admission. Your companion, Elizabeth (seen in all the trailers), is right up there with Half Life 2's Alyx Vance in terms of an AI companion that actually adds to the experience.[/QUOTE]
My problem is that Bioshock grabs me because of the environment. Rapture is so wildly original while still integrating that retro 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea vibe.

I've watched a number of videos of Infinite, and really, I've seen the steampunk/golden age thing before. It doesn't interest me like Bioshock 1/2's setting did.

I'm sure it's a wonderful story with great writing and characters, but from what I keep hearing, it's basically just updated gameplay of the first two games in a new place with a new story with better graphics. I'm sure it's an awesome game, but the praise it gets... It just is a bit disappointing knowing it took out my favorite aspect of the first two games.

[quote name='Idiotekque']My problem is that Bioshock grabs me because of the environment. Rapture is so wildly original while still integrating that retro 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea vibe.

I've watched a number of videos of Infinite, and really, I've seen the steampunk/golden age thing before. It doesn't interest me like Bioshock 1/2's setting did.

I'm sure it's a wonderful story with great writing and characters, but from what I keep hearing, it's basically just updated gameplay of the first two games in a new place with a new story with better graphics. I'm sure it's an awesome game, but the praise it gets... It just is a bit disappointing knowing it took out my favorite aspect of the first two games.[/QUOTE]

Not everything is better down where it's wetter, under the sea.

In all seriousness though, Rapture's story was done and done, that's why there wasn't much interest in going back.

[quote name='Idiotekque']My problem is that Bioshock grabs me because of the environment. Rapture is so wildly original while still integrating that retro 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea vibe.

I'm sure it's a wonderful story with great writing and characters, but from what I keep hearing, it's basically just updated gameplay of the first two games in a new place with a new story with better graphics. I'm sure it's an awesome game, but the praise it gets... It just is a bit disappointing knowing it took out my favorite aspect of the first two games.[/QUOTE]

I definitely hear where you're coming from. All I can say without delving into areas of the story that could be considered spoilers is this:

If you liked the other games in the series you will want to play this one. The star this time around is not the environment (though it is wonderfully realized). Don't let anyone spoil the plot for you.

[quote name='hal']I definitely hear where you're coming from. All I can say without delving into areas of the story that could be considered spoilers is this:

If you liked the other games in the series you will want to play this one. The star this time around is not the environment (though it is wonderfully realized). Don't let anyone spoil the plot for you.[/QUOTE]
Fair enough, maybe for $10. ;)

[quote name='hal']To each his own, I suppose. You do know I'm talking about the story and not necessarily the gameplay, correct? Because the story is way more complex than BioShock ever hoped to be.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I've discussed it many times in various places. Basically, they had a chance at a story that could have been better than Bioshock 1's, but for whatever reason, they took a lot of shortcuts. It felt like they cut a ton of stuff, and added in plot holes to make up.

[quote name='elessar123']Yes. I've discussed it many times in various places. Basically, they had a chance at a story that could have been better than Bioshock 1's, but for whatever reason, they took a lot of shortcuts. It felt like they cut a ton of stuff, and added in plot holes to make up.[/QUOTE]
How dare you talk about Jesus that way.

Bioshock Infinite's world pulled me in a way the the original Bioshocks world could never hope to achieve. There is also a great sense of foreboding while going thru the game which may not be quite the same as the feeling of dread the original Bioshock evoked, but for me it was equally as effective.

Honestly for me, I liked Rapture, but what kinda turned me off to falling in love with the world is the 50's vibe. I am not a fan of the whole 50's vibe. Fallout has the same problem for me.

I loved the world of Infinite way more.

[quote name='spoderman']If you signed up for the free Magicka DLC in February, you should've received an email today with a key for Magicka: Glüüms Temple[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Was the sign-up through Steam? I try to catch all the freebies but didn't get a key so maybe I missed the feb free DLC.

[quote name='Palinn']Hmmm. Was the sign-up through Steam? I try to catch all the freebies but didn't get a key so maybe I missed the feb free DLC.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I think you had to sign up for their newsletter.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Honestly for me, I liked Rapture, but what kinda turned me off to falling in love with the world is the 50's vibe. I am not a fan of the whole 50's vibe. Fallout has the same problem for me.[/QUOTE]

Woah there! Back up a few decades... the Art Deco style is a product of mainly the 20's through the 40's. :cool:

[quote name='hal']Woah there! Back up a few decades... the Art Deco style is a product of mainly the 20's through the 40's. :cool:[/QUOTE]

It's good to see that Art History degree is getting some use, hal.

[quote name='Eldredpe']It's good to see that Art History degree is getting some use, hal.[/QUOTE]
I'll take your Art History degree and raise you 5 minutes of Google search.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I'll take your Art History degree and raise you 5 minutes of Google search.[/QUOTE]

That seems like a lot of googling.

[quote name='hal']To each his own, I suppose. You do know I'm talking about the story and not necessarily the gameplay, correct? Because the story is way more complex than BioShock ever hoped to be.

I will say that I like the setting of Rapture a lot better than Columbia, but that's another discussion.[/QUOTE]

Complex is no synonym for good.

had to pick up poker night 2... $5 and it comes with poker night 1... cant really pass that up imo. Glados as the dealer nuff said.

Seeing a lot of revisions to the Steam registry for retail keys for Mumbo Jumbo games: Luxor, Zombie Bowl-a-rama, Samantha Swift, 7 Wonders, etc. Wacky prediction, maybe a Mumbo Jumbo Indie Gala.

[quote name='Mooby']Seeing a lot of revisions to the Steam registry for retail keys for Mumbo Jumbo games: Luxor, Zombie Bowl-a-rama, Samantha Swift, 7 Wonders, etc. Wacky prediction, maybe a Mumbo Jumbo Indie Gala.[/QUOTE]

Groupees would be better, but I wouldn't say no to an IG one.

[quote name='retrad']had to pick up poker night 2... $5 and it comes with poker night 1... cant really pass that up imo. Glados as the dealer nuff said.[/QUOTE]
bought it for the same reason, holy shit this i my first pre purchase. ;)

[quote name='Detruire']Groupees would be better, but I wouldn't say no to an IG one.[/QUOTE]
especially if a happy hour there will be

Hey everyone just wanted to post a quick update on Enhanced Steam. Version 2.8 for Google Chrome has been released and it has a lot of cool new features! One that I am most excited about is changes to how coupons are handled on the Steam store. If you have a coupon for a game, it will tell you on the store page and (hopefully) correctly calculate the discount. It should look something like this:

LIC7SPt.png

The extension now adds links to user's profiles (SteamGifts, SteamTrades, SteamRep, etc), gives you the option of hiding the "Install Steam" button in the header, highlights games you have a coupon for, and more.

If you don't already have it installed, check my signature! Thanks!

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I would be all over a mumbo jumbo bundle with Steam keys.[/QUOTE]

Me too, I've passed on the publisher pack multiple times. Glad I did if this is the case

[quote name='jshackles']Hey everyone just wanted to post a quick update on Enhanced Steam. Version 2.8 for Google Chrome has been released and it has a lot of cool new features! One that I am most excited about is changes to how coupons are handled on the Steam store. If you have a coupon for a game, it will tell you on the store page and (hopefully) correctly calculate the discount. It should look something like this:

*snip*

The extension now adds links to user's profiles (SteamGifts, SteamTrades, SteamRep, etc), gives you the option of hiding the "Install Steam" button in the header, highlights games you have a coupon for, and more.

If you don't already have it installed, check my signature! Thanks![/QUOTE]

Dude, high five. I never knew about that

[quote name='retrad']had to pick up poker night 2... $5 and it comes with poker night 1... cant really pass that up imo. Glados as the dealer nuff said.[/QUOTE]
Glados + Claptrap + Poker Night 1 for $5 made this an instant pre-order for me as well. I haven't pre-ordered anything since Dear Esther.

[quote name='jshackles']Hey everyone just wanted to post a quick update on Enhanced Steam. Version 2.8 for Google Chrome has been released and it has a lot of cool new features! One that I am most excited about is changes to how coupons are handled on the Steam store. If you have a coupon for a game, it will tell you on the store page and (hopefully) correctly calculate the discount. It should look something like this:
LIC7SPt.png

If you don't already have it installed, check my signature! Thanks![/QUOTE]

The amount of effort that you put into this is just amazing. Thanks a lot man.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I would be all over a mumbo jumbo bundle with Steam keys.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to JakeNome's help, I already own the MumboJumbo collection. Obviously I wouldn't need to buy such a bundle for my main account, but if Mooby's hypothesis pans out, I might pick up a copy for my secondary account. Zombie Bowl-O-Rama is a lot of fun.

Of course, the steam key's could just be for an Amazon bundle Tony has in the works. But even that would be a welcome sight. I paid $18 for my copy of the MumboJumbo collection. Amazon would probably beat that price.

I just missed the Primal Carnage sale since my bank was temporarily offline.

Anyone bought a 4-pack or has it as a gift in their inventory? I can pay directly with Paypal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back