The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='headpiece747']I saw people on here talking about computer upgrades and Adorama through Ebay is selling a Samsung 250GD 840 SSD for $140 that is the cheapest I have found for a SSD of that size. It is great for me and people with SATA II because the write speed is horrible from reviews. I will not be upgrading my laptop for the next 12 months (you can probably guess why) so it works for me.[/QUOTE]

I believe the read write aspect on that drive also significantly kills the drives life. The 840 pro is supposed to be.much better.

Also, I believe that someone on sd posted a deal the other day where an m4 wasnt much more than that.

The 840 is fine for our uses: much more reading than writing. It takes like 7 years straight of nonstop writing before it finally dies and by that time, entry level SSDs in 2020 are going to run circles around today's cream of the crop.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Isn't the value of bitcoins based on that system that owes trillions? It's not as though I can take one and buy some coffee or pay my mortgage. Aside from some very limited applications, their "worth" is entirely theoretical until they're converted into money someone actually wants.[/QUOTE]

A currency is only as good as whoever accepts it. As it stands, though, more businesses are accepting bitcoins recently. Whether it'll have staying power over the next ten years, we'll see.

[quote name='bshirk']Is Shattered Haven a good buy?[/QUOTE]

I played for about an hour yesterday. It is a pretty cool game. For the price that I got it at $2.50 I'm very happy with the buy.

I bought Fez. I wanted to play Fez since it came out on 360 actually. I know he is a *insert word here*, but I am a gamer. I am not going to hold a grudge and not buy a good game just because of remarks of a person.

[quote name='Genocidal']Fez is now available for preorder if you can look past the man who created it. Personally, I can't support him.

Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle 2 is also live. Can't say I've heard of any of these games, so I'm holding off for now. Any impressions here?[/QUOTE]

Darkout is the standout, and pretty likely to get greenlit. It was (or is?) in the top 50 rankings for greenlight. I haven't played it myself, but I've heard good things about it.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I believe the read write aspect on that drive also significantly kills the drives life. The 840 pro is supposed to be.much better.

Also, I believe that someone on sd posted a deal the other day where an m4 wasnt much more than that.[/QUOTE]

Writing to the same block tens of thousands of times is what kills that block in SSD. The write speed has no effect on that between the 840 and 840 Pro. Since in an SSD, the write speed rarely matters the pro version isn't really worth it in my opinion. The price difference between Pro and non-Pro is stupid for something a vast majority of people won't make use of as the thing people notice most are the read speeds (Which is just about the same between the Pro and non-Pro), not the write.

I'm running x2 Samsung 840 500GB in RAID 0 as my primary drive for reference. Which for me increases my longevity because of how RAID 0 works, but I lose some features of SSD that don't work in RAID. Of course someone can also mention that my risk is higher that if one drive fails, my RAID is pretty much fubar which isn't wrong either and I have no issue running with that risk.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I bought Fez. I wanted to play Fez since it came out on 360 actually. I know he is a *insert word here*, but I am a gamer. I am not going to hold a grudge and not buy a good game just because of remarks of a person.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know he thinks you're a worthless piece of crap and he thinks his game is amazing and revolutionary. It is not. It's an uninspired platformed. As a gamer you shouldn't buy it because a) it's a crap game and b) you're promoting crap games and a crap dev - that's if you don't even consider that the guy who made it is a jerkwad.

[quote name='Genocidal']Fez is now available for preorder if you can look past the man who created it. Personally, I can't support him.

Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle 2 is also live. Can't say I've heard of any of these games, so I'm holding off for now. Any impressions here?[/QUOTE]

Darkout from the groupees bundle looks like a Terraria clone, which is not a bad thing since I loved Terraria, I might pick that one up along with Ichi and Grimind.

I have been interested in playing Fez ever since I first saw it but I didn't own an xbox to play it on, so I will get it on steam (eventually). I'm waiting for a 50% off sale at least though, $9 is still a bit high for that game.

[quote name='Izod517']Just so you know he thinks you're a worthless piece of crap and he thinks his game is amazing and revolutionary. It is not. It's an uninspired platformed. As a gamer you shouldn't buy it because a) it's a crap game and b) you're promoting crap games and a crap dev - that's if you don't even consider that the guy who made it is a jerkwad.[/QUOTE]

Fez is AWFUL. Once you get past the somewhat clever opening and the cute retro graphics, it's a horrible game. You'll find yourself aimlessly wandering for cube pieces for hours, slowly plodding through all the similar environments and performing the same tedious tasks that take too long due to the slow speed of the character. And if you happen to miss a piece, well shit, you have to backtrack for an hour just to find it. Don't worry though, there are no enemies; but if you fall ten feet, you die and are immediately spawned where you jumped from, forcing you to take way too long yet again just to climb back down between levels.

Anti-cubes are complete bitches, too. There's no possible way to determine what you have to do to get them, aside from the one that's actually explained in an achievement at the beginning of the game. It's yet another ploy to get more artificial length out of this shitty platformer.

Fez is the most boring game I've played in years. It's not even done well. Fish only acts like an elitist asshole because he knows his game is shit and nobody would buy it if he didn't say it was better than everything else.

Darkout aside, the rest look incredibly average; I'll probably go with Crow as I don't have enough bird-related simulators in my backlog.

Death Ray Manta's trailer nearly gave me a seizure.

[quote name='Flowette']Death Ray Manta's trailer nearly gave me a seizure.[/QUOTE]

I have all of Rob F's games and DRM is actually one of the playable ones.

If you want to talk seizures try War Twat - I still have no clue what's going on and last about 3 seconds. For real hardcore gameplay:

[youtube]3xU6T5WC3_Y[/youtube]

[quote name='seamoss']I have all of Rob F's game and DRM is actually one of the playable ones.

If you want to talk seizures try War Twat - I still have no clue what's going on and last about 3 seconds. For real hardcore gameplay:

[youtube]3xU6T5WC3_Y[/youtube]
[/QUOTE]

My god. The dev must be on drugs.

Is there any idea if Bioshock 1 or 2, or the franchise pack will be on sale? Also, does the franchise pack come with the DLC, or no?

[quote name='Izod517']Just so you know he thinks you're a worthless piece of crap and he thinks his game is amazing and revolutionary. It is not. It's an uninspired platformed. As a gamer you shouldn't buy it because a) it's a crap game and b) you're promoting crap games and a crap dev - that's if you don't even consider that the guy who made it is a jerkwad.[/QUOTE]

hahahaohwow.png

http://www.develop-online.net/news/40061/GDC-Japanese-dev-mocked-your-games-suck

Who wants Homeworld on Steam?

Gearbox bought the IP.

The company statement goes on: "Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."

I feel like Phil Fish gets more attention than his game. And maybe that's the plan because people get so riled up over him they overlook the mehness of his game.

As the old saying goes, no press is bad press.

I mean he fastracked into Steam and bypassed Greenlight completely based on his name not the game itself. If any other unknown developer made that game Valve would have told them to take their ass to Greenlight and beg for votes.

[quote name='Motoki']I feel like Phil Fish gets more attention than his game. And maybe that's the plan because people get so riled up over him they overlook the mehness of his game.

As the old saying goes, no press is bad press.

I mean he fastracked into Steam and bypassed Greenlight completely based on his name not the game itself. If any other unknown developer made that game Valve would have told them to take their ass to Greenlight and beg for votes.[/QUOTE]

I think indie game the movie is what did it. He's not in that movie....then who's Phil fish?

I don't get why that "For Profit" comment is bad. Why do you think most devs do late PC ports? Shits and giggles? He's said a dozen more obnoxious things.

I also imagine he skipped Greenlight because his game was a prominent XBLA release that sold fairly well. Have there been any console games that sold halfway decent that are in Greenlight hell besides that Boob Mousepad JRPG?

[quote name='Corpekata']I don't get why that "For Profit" comment is bad. Why do you think most devs do late PC ports? Shits and giggles? He's said a dozen more obnoxious things.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, heck it is the reason 95% of games are made. If you don't like the fact that games are made for profit then you should just stop gaming right now.

I applaud him for his honesty.

Phil Fish is a douchebag. I'll be happy to see his game pirated endlessly when it releases on Steam.

His game sucks, too.

[quote name='louiedog']Who wants Homeworld on Steam?

Gearbox bought the IP.

The company statement goes on: "Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."[/QUOTE]

I'd rather buy them on GOG than on Steam, but either option will be a definite improvement over the current "only available on physical media that was burned before your current OS was a glimmer in Microsoft's eye".

EDIT: Stardock came in second for the Homeworld rights. Would have enjoyed seeing what Wardell And Company might have done. Maybe they'll use those ideas for a Sins 2.

[quote name='Kamakazi010654']Yep, heck it is the reason 95% of games are made. If you don't like the fact that games are made for profit then you should just stop gaming right now.

I applaud him for his honesty.[/QUOTE]
I don't think many people are claiming that making games "for profit" is wrong. While money is often a primary motivation, I imagine very few creators of games (and movies, books, etc.) would cite it as their only motivation.

In this case, Fish is just trying to be an asshole, but it would be almost creepy if someone actually spent multiple years of their life making a game, or working on some form of creative expression, without even the slightest amount of passion.

[quote name='Englando IV']I don't think many people are claiming that making games "for profit" is wrong. While money is often a primary motivation, I imagine very few creators of games (and movies, books, etc.) would cite it as their only motivation.

In this case, Fish is just trying to be an asshole, but it would be almost creepy if someone actually spent multiple years of their life making a game, or working on some form of creative expression, without even the slightest amount of passion.[/QUOTE]

You're wildly misinterpreting the comment. He was asked why he PORTED the game. Not why he made it. Big difference. The only reason to port a game several months after launch is to reach a bigger audience generally, and to make more money.

I don't have an issue with his "for profit" comment. It's honest and it's why most games are made. I think that detracts from 100 other crappy comments he's made.

It's just every other comment he's made, and more importantly how he thinks Fez is god's gift to gaming, when in fact it's a subpar game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corpekata']You're wildly misinterpreting the comment. He was asked why he PORTED the game. Not why he made it. Big difference.[/QUOTE]
No, I was responding to Kamakazi010654's comment.

[quote name='Mac the Geek']I'd rather buy them on GOG than on Steam, but either option will be a definite improvement over the current "only available on physical media that was burned before your current OS was a glimmer in Microsoft's eye".[/quote]
Is there even a Gearbox game even on GOG? {raised eyebrow}
Stardock now has Gal Civ 1: Ultimate now on GOG.

EDIT: Stardock came in second for the Homeworld rights. Would have enjoyed seeing what Wardell And Company might have done. Maybe they'll use those ideas for a Sins 2.
To me, that might'be made more sense - Stardock grabbing Homeworld.

Stardock fits better but I mean, Sins was already half a Homeworld 3 (and touted as such in a lot of early press). Make an actual story/campaign and cut out some of the meta elements and you almost have it, though I bet traditional development of a Homeworld 3 would've introduced some of the management elements anyway. I mean, there's nothing stopping Stardock or Paradox from making their own version of the game. They're already focused on that sort of niche anyway.

CONSPIRACY THEORY!

Hmmm...after Aliens: CM, maybe Sega will sue Gearbox and try to take Homeworld IP... ;)
And then, Sega can have Relic do Homeworld 3...

[quote name='louiedog']Who wants Homeworld on Steam?

Gearbox bought the IP.

The company statement goes on: "Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."[/QUOTE]
:bouncy:

Already have the first one on physical disc, but that's awesome news.

[quote name='Idiotekque']:bouncy:

Already have the first one on physical disc, but that's awesome news.[/QUOTE]

I got Homeworld 1 and on 2 both on disc, somewhere.
I'm not much on strategy games - so yeah, I didn't even really play them.

If I were to only look at that screenshot and read those two posts, I'd think that Phil was being trolled, and trolled in return. However, given the situation, it looks like he's just being his douchebag self. ;)

[quote name='MysterD']CONSPIRACY THEORY!

Hmmm...after Aliens: CM, maybe Sega will sue Gearbox and try to take Homeworld IP... ;)
And then, Sega can have Relic do Homeworld 3...[/QUOTE]

Wait until you hear that Ancient Astronaut Theorists think it was made by aliens.

[quote name='MysterD']CONSPIRACY THEORY!

And then, Sega can have Relic do Homeworld 3...[/QUOTE]
Or give it to the Total War guys. Sega already owns a huge chunk of the RTS market, but I would be fine with more. I mean quite honestly the only decent game I seen Gearbox do in the past few years (never played Brother's in Arms, no interest) is Borderlands anyway.

Also dear god at Phil Fish. I mean of course everyone would make a PC port for money but most people would try to make a explanation, lol. Wow, he is an asshole. Then again I wouldn't be surprised at the time he was paid off by Microsoft to say things against the PC.

[quote name='Izod517']I don't have an issue with his "for profit" comment. It's honest and it's why most games are made. I think that detracts from 100 other crappy comments he's made.

It's just every other comment he's made, and more importantly how he thinks Fez is god's gift to gaming, when in fact it's a subpar game.[/QUOTE]

Most ports are made for profit.. but not all devs think PCs are only used for spreadhseets.. Fez doesn't think PCs are for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back