The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='louiedog']The latest Steam client beta allows you to throttle your download speed so those 20 GB downloads won't interfere with your Golden Girls streaming.[/QUOTE]

I'm so relieved. I was worried I would not be able to catch up with the geriatrically slutty antics of Blanche Devereaux due to downloading all my Nancy Drew games.

Though actually, it will help when playing MMOs, like last night when I was in SWTOR with my Sith Jedi running away from a mob while Idiotekque the blind smuggler healer with a big butt was running after me trying to heal my ass yelling 'WAIT WAIT COME BACK!'

[quote name='louiedog']The latest Steam client beta allows you to throttle your download speed so those 20 GB downloads won't interfere with your Golden Girls streaming.

[/QUOTE]

Holy crap... it finally happened - it only took 8ish years. One thing I always hated about the Steam client was that it killed all bandwidth. If I was downloading, nobody else could use the internet. Download throttling was easily in the top 5 most wanted features.

[[quote name='louiedog']The latest Steam client beta allows you to throttle your download speed so those 20 GB downloads won't interfere with your Golden Girls streaming.[/QUOTE]

fuck yeah! I'm bleedin sick of steam downloads choking out my 6 Mb DSL (yes, that's the best I can get at this address, a couple miles from Facebook HQ). Best I can normally get while steam downloads are going is 360p youtube (eww, and sound is awful)... I really have no idea why they tweaked steam downloads to choke out bandwidth so well... Steam downloads are rarely priority for me.

[quote name='Motoki']I'm so relieved. I was worried I would not be able to catch up with the ge
riatrically slutty antics of Blanche Devereaux due to downloading all my Nancy Drew games.
Though actually, it will help when playing MMOs, like last night when I was in SWTOR with my Sith Jedi running away from a mob while Idiotekque the blind smuggler healer with a big butt was running after me trying to heal my ass yelling 'WAIT WAIT COME BACK!'[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I have a Forge code, but I'm thinking of hosting my own 4-pack. Although I'm an idiot and can't remember where to put the code at.

DA:O had all of its DRM patched out, yes? I played about halfway through on PS3 but found the combat too frustrating with a controller and have been waiting for it on PC, but if it requires Origin or any such nonsense then I'm content with not playing it at all.

[quote name='Tsel']I have a Forge code, but I'm thinking of hosting my own 4-pack. Although I'm an idiot and can't remember where to put the code at.[/QUOTE]

Redeem it like any Steam Key.

[quote name='unless']DA:O had all of its DRM patched out, yes? I played about halfway through on PS3 but found the combat too frustrating with a controller and have been waiting for it on PC, but if it requires Origin or any such nonsense then I'm content with not playing it at all.[/QUOTE]

No games that came out before 2012 require Origin running. Some required an EA account (which is rolled into Origin now) but none require the actual service running, just the account.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Except he wasn't the only one, the movie only tells his side of the story and didn't bother to seek out the other side. One of the executive producers of Indie Game The Movie was Phil Fish's new business partner so they had little interest in a fair and balanced narrative. Initially the film ran with the credit that Phil Fish's business partner asked not to participate in the film, which was a bold faced lie. Eventually they had to change it to say that the ex-business partner was not asked to participate in the film. That's the primary reason I despise that movie, they have little interest in truth.[/QUOTE]

All documentaries are constructed narratives. That's part of being a film that is necessarily made by people. Regardless of our wish to be objective participants, it is impossible to be objective and still participate, and the creation of a film is a participatory act. (That's a point documentarians have often argued, but "fly-on-the-wall" attempts at documentary films are rarely as successful as they hope.)

Sort of off-topic, I just firmly belief in the impossibility of objectivity in documentary film making and find it a little unfortunate when a well made documentary is panned for having an agenda or bias.

DA:O had all its DRM patched out, yes? I played about halfway through on PS3 but found the combat too frustrating with a controller. Been wanting to try it on PC, but if it has Origin or some similar nonsense then I'll take a pass.

[quote name='Mooby']Forge, coming to an Indie Gala near you![/QUOTE]

Well it's an indie Multi-player only game. So I expect that it will be in a future Indie Royale bundle. Not until the community is completely dead, though.

[quote name='jshackles']
Ok, so I played a few hours of Star Trek last night in Co-op and here are my thoughts:

First of all, the game is overpriced. I was hoping that the game itself would be decent considering that (supposedly) it has been in production since the reboot movie came out in 2009.

The story itself is fantastic, and the graphics and voice acting are 100% top notch. The combat gameplay is like a cheap Mass Effect 2/3 ripoff or maybe like Gears of War - but that's where the similarities end. Unlike Mass Effect, there are absolutely NO choices to be made, no diplomacy, no exploration, no prime directive (apparently) and no formal "First Contact" procedure. This game is just straight up "Go here, do this, kill these bad guys, watch this cutscene, solve this puzzle." They took everything that people used to like about Star Trek and they turned it into what is basically an on-rails shooter.

Probably the worst thing about this game is that there is all of the usual "hand-holding" but in all of the wrong places. There seem to be a ton of puzzles that are like "We're going to spend time explaining to you exactly how to do this puzzle even though this is the only puzzle even remotely like this in the game."

Co-op is also done poorly - very poorly. I thought there would be a Left 4 Dead kind of component to dying. Like you fall off a cliff but hang on at the last minute and your partner can save you. No such luck here. If one person dies, the mission is over and you have to restart from the last checkpoint. Sometimes (due to reasons stated above) you have no idea what you're supposed to be doing so you try something, die, and both players have to start over.

I'm probably one of the biggest Trekkies out there (my wife was actually in the movie Trekkies) so I can bear with the horrible gameplay to get the story before the new movie comes out, as this game takes place between the two movies. But if you're not a complete Trek nut, you should probably skip this one. Even at 75% off, I'd have a hard time recommending it to someone just looking for a co-op shooter. I'd give it probably 2/10.
[/QUOTE]
Ugh, this is EXACTLY what I expected and didn't want to see. I'm pretty sure I went on a rant about this (in BGCQ chat probably, annoying everyone) before it came out, and sure enough all my fears have come true.

Really, the cover art told everyone exactly what the game was going to be. A generic broshooter money grab since the movie is coming out. Y'know, screw all the real Trekkies who love the series because it's interesting, intellectual, exploratory, and replace it with a bunch of shooting and killing. Sorry, that's just not Star Trek.

Oh well, nice to know it's going in the "$5 or bust" list.

[quote name='Motoki']Though actually, it will help when playing MMOs, like last night when I was in SWTOR with my Sith Jedi running away from a mob while Idiotekque the blind smuggler healer with a big butt was running after me trying to heal my ass yelling 'WAIT WAIT COME BACK!'[/QUOTE]
It's not that big...

[quote name='unless']DA:O had all of its DRM patched out, yes? I played about halfway through on PS3 but found the combat too frustrating with a controller and have been waiting for it on PC, but if it requires Origin or any such nonsense then I'm content with not playing it at all.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don't think DA:O ever had intrusive DRM. It still asks you to connect to EA servers, but it's optional and doesn't really do anything besides giving you the list of available DLC to buy (which is pointless if you have the Ultimate version already).

I can safely say that I've played the game offline and without Origin with no problem... and I have the Origin version (not Steam).

[quote name='Idiotekque']Yeah, I don't think DA:O ever had intrusive DRM. It still asks you to connect to EA servers, but it's optional and doesn't really do anything besides giving you the list of available DLC to buy (which is pointless if you have the Ultimate version already).

I can safely say that I've played the game offline and without Origin with no problem... and I have the Origin version (not Steam).[/QUOTE]
I had an issue where if I wasn't logged in and waited long enough before loading my save it actually deleted my access to the Warden's Keep area and all the items both picked up there and stored there. I'm sure there's a fix for it but it annoyed the hell out of me. Played on the Origin version without Origin open.

[quote name='plft']I had an issue where if I wasn't logged in and waited long enough before loading my save it actually deleted my access to the Warden's Keep area and all the items both picked up there and stored there. I'm sure there's a fix for it but it annoyed the hell out of me. Played on the Origin version without Origin open.[/QUOTE]
Eh... the game isn't without it's share of bugs and glitches, which they'll never patch. Hell, there's a memory leak in Denerim.

[quote name='Idiotekque'] Y'know, screw all the real Trekkies who love the series because it's interesting, intellectual, exploratory, and replace it with a bunch of shooting and killing. Sorry, that's just not Star Trek.[/QUOTE]

I almost gave up on it when Captain Kirk encounters a new alien race that they've never seen before
(the Gorn)
and immediately starts killing them - no questions asked no waiting for provocation. It's about as far from Trek as any Trek game ever has been.

[quote name='jshackles']I almost gave up on it when Captain Kirk encounters a new alien race that they've never seen before
(the Gorn)
and immediately starts killing them - no questions asked no waiting for provocation. It's about as far from Trek as any Trek game ever has been.[/QUOTE]
Well, he thought they were part of the Locust Horde Covenant Akrid Necromorphs -oh fuck it.

[quote name='Motoki']
Though actually, it will help when playing MMOs, like last night when I was in SWTOR with my Sith Jedi running away from a mob while Idiotekque the blind smuggler healer with a big butt was running after me trying to heal my ass yelling 'WAIT WAIT COME BACK!'[/QUOTE]

And it was even more amusing in person.

First impressions of Monaco are very good indeed. I want to play more, but I'm a little too tired/tipsy to be doing so. I'm rubbish at stealthy stuff but this looks accommodating enough for me.

I've done the first couple of missions solo and it looks like you can play the game that way if you wish, but I'm guessing co-op will be infinitely funner. Will play some more tomorrow when I'm a little more alert :)

[quote name='RollingSkull']I don't trust the makers of Forge. Tribes Vengeance was balanced terribly and left to rot.

Plus it's too MMO/DotA-y for my tastes[/QUOTE]
Under a dollar, RS. UNDER A DOLLAR.

Wait what? Did I miss something?

[quote name='Eldredpe']Sort of off-topic, I just firmly belief in the impossibility of objectivity in documentary film making and find it a little unfortunate when a well made documentary is panned for having an agenda or bias.[/QUOTE]

Problem is that if you accept an agenda or bias, then 99 times out of 100, the "well made documentary" is synonym for "agrees with my preconceptions." (Yeah yeah I know you're the special flower who would never ever compromise his integrity but that's also what all the OTHER obviously compromised people said before they starting playing favorites.)

In which case you might also want to seek another noun than "documentary" because if it is impossible to be impartial then we're in the same stupid logic hole of "WELL HOW CAN THERE EVER BE A TRULY SELFLESS ACT IF YOU GAIN PLEASURE FROM BEING SELFLESS."

[quote name='RollingSkull']Wait what? Did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

The 75% Raptr coupon stacks with the currently 75% off, so the 4-pack becomes $3.75, or $0.94 a person.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Wait what? Did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. There was a coupon for 75% off that Raptr users got a while back that stacks with the current discount, including the 4 pack. 4 copies comes out to like $3.75

[quote name='RollingSkull']I don't trust the makers of Forge. Tribes Vengeance was balanced terribly and left to rot.

Plus it's too MMO/DotA-y for my tastes[/QUOTE]

Didn't Irrational develop Tribes Vengeance. Unless a lot of the people Dark Vale (Forge dev) are from there I can't understand.

It is suppose to be an MMO pvp game without having to level your character and instead just playing the end game pvp part.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Ugh, this is EXACTLY what I expected and didn't want to see. I'm pretty sure I went on a rant about this (in BGCQ chat probably, annoying everyone) before it came out, and sure enough all my fears have come true.

Really, the cover art told everyone exactly what the game was going to be. A generic broshooter money grab since the movie is coming out. Y'know, screw all the real Trekkies who love the series because it's interesting, intellectual, exploratory, and replace it with a bunch of shooting and killing. Sorry, that's just not Star Trek.
[/QUOTE]

But isn't the REAL question "does it run at 60FPS?" ;)

[quote name='Flowette']Sine Mora GOTY edition went live about an hour ago.[/QUOTE]
I am opposed to posting image reactions outside of a 4chan style board but do know that you have earned every pixel of a Richard Wellington breakdown.gif.

[quote name='Eldredpe']But isn't the REAL question "does it run at 60FPS?" ;)[/QUOTE]
Left 4 Dead 2 runs at 100+ FPS at full specs for me. You should see THAT.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I am opposed to posting image reactions outside of a 4chan style board but do know that you have earned every pixel of a Richard Wellington breakdown.gif.[/QUOTE]

Oh thank goodness, he's Phoenix Wright again.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Didn't Irrational develop Tribes Vengeance. Unless a lot of the people Dark Vale (Forge dev) are from there I can't understand.

It is suppose to be an MMO pvp game without having to level your character and instead just playing the end game pvp part.[/QUOTE]

You're right, Irrational did make Tribes Vengeance so don't know what he's talking about.

Forge was fairly well balanced in a rock, paper, scissor fashion when I used to play it a couple months ago. Some of the abilities are very unique for MMO style combat while others are pretty standard. There actually IS a leveling system, and it lets you specialize in an ability and alter your stats by decreasing one to increase another, but it doesn't make a large impact since you still have the same total stats. The biggest problem it had was that it released in a very barebones state, with a lot of features missing.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh... the game isn't without it's share of bugs and glitches, which they'll never patch. Hell, there's a memory leak in Denerim.[/QUOTE]

I experienced the worst bug of all while playing DA:O: Awakening. There's a part where you get all your stuff taken from you, get tossed and jail and you have to fight your way out. At the end of that, my original gear was nowhere to be found. I had lost all the awesome gear I had spent the 70+ hours gathering in DA:O and in the first 10 hours of Awakening. Looked on the forums and there was no fix for it except to revert back to an earlier save. Unfortunately, I always just relied on quick save and never made new save files. So 70+ hours thrown out the window. I don't think I'll ever play DA:O again due to that shitty experience. It's a shame too, it's a freaking great game.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I experienced the worst bug of all while playing DA:O: Awakening. There's a part where you get all your stuff taken from you, get tossed and jail and you have to fight your way out. At the end of that, my original gear was nowhere to be found. I had lost all the awesome gear I had spent the 70+ hours gathering in DA:O and in the first 10 hours of Awakening. Looked on the forums and there was no fix for it except to revert back to an earlier save. Unfortunately, I always just relied on quick save and never made new save files. So 70+ hours thrown out the window. I don't think I'll ever play DA:O again due to that shitty experience. It's a shame too, it's a freaking great game.[/QUOTE]
Yup, I've heard of that one. There's a fix/way to avoid it I think, but if it already happened, you're screwed. Sorry about that.

If it's any consolation, all my gameplay on DA:O is on the Xbox 360, which I despise these days, so I have to start from scratch at well. ;)

[quote name='Flowette']First impressions of Monaco are very good indeed. I want to play more, but I'm a little too tired/tipsy to be doing so. I'm rubbish at stealthy stuff but this looks accommodating enough for me.

I've done the first couple of missions solo and it looks like you can play the game that way if you wish, but I'm guessing co-op will be infinitely funner. Will play some more tomorrow when I'm a little more alert :)[/QUOTE]

I'm at the same spot as you, except replace tired/tipsy with guilt over not doing homework. Between Monaco and the Gunpoint beta I got into on Tuesday, I've been heavily neglecting anything I should be doing at home.These two games have shot to the top of my favorite games of the year so far.

Gah! I meant Tribes Ascend. The free 2 pay Tribes. Not Vengeance. Vengeance was pretty dang good and also a single player game.

And I was ALSO confusing Forge with Smite, which is Hi-Rez's next game.

Welp.

Also I thought Damien Sandow was a much better match for my forum attitude but you folks love the Phoenix so I swapped back. Happy?

Hell yeah, I have a 75% off Forge coupon. Broke until tomorrow ;)

Edit; checked my other coupons and apparently there has been a price drop to 7.99 on Sniper Warrior Gold.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
Also I thought Damien Sandow was a much better match for my forum attitude but you folks love the Phoenix so I swapped back. Happy?[/QUOTE]

tumblr_mb6njlQX411qftwhy.jpg

[quote name='Idiotekque']Left 4 Dead 2 runs at 100+ FPS at full specs for me. You should see THAT.[/QUOTE]

I don't even worry about FPS since I run it at 800x600 with all settings set to low to reduce lag. Terrible internet service won't stop be from being great at a game. :razz:

And it looks like I missed the Forge coupon. :( Would anyone care to hook me up with a copy for $1.25? I'm sure they're going for retail on the Steam trading thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back