The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MysterD']If you remember correctly, The Witcher 1 was originally Uncensored in the UK (b/c of nudity), way before USA got its uncut content approved by ESRB to keep the game at M - so they patched and uncensored USA version.[/QUOTE]

I should, but I don't. The review of Witcher 1 that left the biggest impression on me was on AnandTech (and he lives in Georgia, USA). I didn't pick it up until it hit $5 on Steam, and I confess I've only play ~1 hour of it.

Amerikans have very weird values though. Abnormal levels of violence and gore are socially acceptable. A woman's baby-feeders or gods-forbid, consensual sexual intercourse, are an abomination and shunned from society. Yep, one of those is a normal (and desired) part of life, the other one hopes to never be subjected to. Ban baby-feeders!

Brits, like most Europeans take the opposite view: sex is normal and natural, gratuitous violence is to be abhorred.

@Ashes

Yeah, I pre-ordered Witcher 1 from Gogamer b/c they had the UK Uncut version there; and CDP RED already stated the USA would be censored before-hand on their boards. That was one of those rare games I was actually wanting to play week of release.

Atari made them (CDP RED) make USA-version censored w/out even filing to ESRB the Uncut version for USA. They (Atari) was afraid it'd get AO status (i.e. no major retailer like Best Buy, WalMart, etc carries AO games). Atari left it Uncensored in UK b/c of their views on nudity - and it got 18 rating from PEGI (their version of M here). Of course, when CDP went ahead and filed Uncut Version to ESRB much-much later, ESRB decided that version would still retained M-rating. So, that got the game to get it patched and uncensored here in the States.

[quote name='MysterD']You've never heard of Overhaul Games (led by Trent Oster, former BioWare employee) that did BG: Enhanced Edition?
{Eyebrow raised}

Overhaul is a division of Beamdog.

EDIT:
BG:EE was released first on Beamdog exclusivity for a bit, before it got a Steam-release.[/QUOTE]

Nope, rings no bells at all.

[quote name='louiedog']I have an account because they gave away a game. I should probably download it some day.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, that game sounds familiar. But I don't recall ever making an account there. Let me check.

Edit:

Yep, no account there either.

@CheapLikeAFox
Well, now you know about the BeamDog service; and that Overhaul Games (who did BG:EE re-release) is a division of them. :D

[quote name='MysterD']I figured b/c of BG:EE re-release (since BG is so well known), people would've known about Beamdog (since Overhaul's a division of Beamdog)...

Well, I'll be damned - I guess not.
{Shrug}

EDIT:

Hey, I've got nothing better else to do, you know? ;)[/QUOTE]

Beamdog is so much of a failure that MDK2 HD and BG:EE didn't come anywhere close to saving it, or making it known.. so I'm not surprised no one's heard of Beamdog.

[quote name='spoderman']Beamdog is so much of a failure that MDK2 HD and BG:EE didn't come anywhere close to saving it, or making it known.. so I'm not surprised no one's heard of Beamdog.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm just too much of a gaming-geek and follow so much about games and gaming-news and whatnot... {shrug}

[quote name='Idiotekque']I think we had a conversation about it once. Basically, the Civilization series' gameplay is awesome, but I believe that Civ IV (and likely past titles) ruined the battle mechanics by allowing stacked troops, making combat far less strategic and just a slugfest of who can build more troops faster and pile them on.[/QUOTE]

Civ V's non-stacking would be more tactical, if anything. Less big-picture planning needed.

[quote name='supershammy']Not sure what you're on about, since no DLC has fixed a problem that exists without it. So yes, the answer is yes, Civ V is a great game without any DLC.[/QUOTE]

I'd argue that it was incomplete without (at least some of) its DLC. I'd argue that it likely still is--the multiplayer is a complete wreck that, if it does get fixed, will probably be fixed in a DLC.

The Civilization series has been doing this for a long time. Civ 3 was not a complete game on release, with promised features missing from the game and not appearing until expansion packs. Civ 4 was similar. Even Civ 2 and Civ 1 had issues that weren't really fixed until a later "complete" version. Why issue patches to fix a game when your customers will pay extra for a fixed version?

Not technically a deal but I'd figure I'd share my experience with the Steam Makertplace.

I always know when i have an excess of hats when i start getting russians with less than 10 games and hundreds of hours of TF2 requesting to be my friend. I have obtained various hats and costumes in TF2 through other games and preorders, etc. Some Games even give you hats after they have been out for years. Thus, you are always accumulating them without knowing it.

I have traded a few of these when I knew they were worth something but I don't really play tf2 and know very little about it. Thus, its hard to set a value on something you know nothing about and it's a hassle to trade outside of the CAG community. There are forums that give you a suggested price for private trade in various currencies from dollars to TF2 keys. However, you still have to broker your own trade and it just usually isn't worth it to me.

I decided to list the ones labeled "marketable" on the built in steam community market. It's easy to use and fairly quick. I searched for the items I had and placed them one penny less than the lowest price. Steam takes their commission but its worth it to not deal with the other hassles.

Everything sold within 24 hours and I have $15.73 in steam wallet for something that I got free for doing nothing. Only suggestion I'd have for them is when listing to give me the avg sold price and the lowest current price.

I know I could have probably sold them for more privately but you can put a price on convenience. See below for what I sold to get that amount. Note that Steam shows them in the buyers currency not in mine but they add up to $15.73.

$0.80 Genuine Menpo
£2.96 Genuine Aperture Labs Hard Hat
£0.57 Genuine Foppish Physician
24,41 pуб Genuine Faerie Solitaire Pin
$0.87 Genuine Foppish Physician
$0.80 Genuine Stovepipe Sniper Shako
£1.24 Genuine Pip-Boy
$0.80 Genuine Distinguished Rogue
$0.80 Genuine Distinguished Rogue
$0.89 Genuine Dead Cone
$0.78 Genuine Brain Bucket
$1.85 Genuine King of Scotland Cape

I recently started using the marketplace thanks to a CAG who has paid for some of his trades in TF2 items. It's been pretty smooth for me. There's a chart I see for my items that show the average sale price and highs and lows for a period of time so I can choose how to set the price. I usually shoot a little higher for mine and just wait and as long as it's within the range on the chart they usually sell within a week or two at least. Not bad at all.

[quote name='plft']4 Elements is on a week long sale for 80% off, $2. It looks like a good casual match-3 game, has anyone played it?[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed it. There are some seek and find bits that provide a nice break in between the matching puzzles. The matching doesn't take place on a static screen either... you keep moving through a "maze" as the puzzle progresses. Worth $2 for sure.

Yes! I've been waiting for Bully on sale for so long, like two years long. The rockstar promo price not so good but from GMG with Manhunt? I'll take it!!!

[quote name='pantsattack']Yes! I've been waiting for Bully on sale for so long, like two years long. The rockstar promo price not so good but from GMG with Manhunt? I'll take it!!![/QUOTE]

I wish they were individual as many others stated. I just want manhunt.

[quote name='pROvIs']I wish they were individual as many others stated. I just want manhunt.[/QUOTE]

Why not buy it and sell off Bully in the trade thread? Shouldn't be too hard.

[quote name='spoderman']Why not buy it and sell off Bully in the trade thread? Shouldn't be too hard.[/QUOTE]

You? Sush! Whatcha doing talking sense? You're not a ginger, are you?

[quote name='spoderman']Why not buy it and sell off Bully in the trade thread? Shouldn't be too hard.[/QUOTE]

If I wanted it more i would but I'm using it as a restraining mechanism.

[quote name='pROvIs']If I wanted it more i would but I'm using it as a restraining mechanism.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to get $3 (or more) for Bully fairly easily.

[quote name='asheskitty']Brits, like most Europeans take the opposite view: sex is normal and natural, gratuitous violence is to be abhorred.[/QUOTE]

You sorely underestimate British prudishness. We're not very European.

[quote name='Flowette']You sorely underestimate British prudishness. We're not very European.[/QUOTE]

Still better than American Puritanism

I always laugh when the Europeans have problems with violence/Americans have problems with boobs things comes up. Europeans in general are hardly turning away the zillion violent entertainment products produced each year. They are fine with both. They get the gore and boobies. Which might explain that tacky Dead Island statue.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I am Hungarian and I will say that I do not mind gore or boobies. Or gore and boobies together, for that matter.[/QUOTE]

I wondered what was in that goulash, now I know.

p.s. I preferred the Czech variation.

[quote name='pROvIs']I wish they were individual as many others stated. I just want manhunt.[/QUOTE]

Or just buy Manhunt for $2.50 from pantsattack in the trade thread.

[quote name='Flowette']I wondered what was in that goulash, now I know.

p.s. I preferred the Chechnya variation.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you.

Just a quick bit: Played a bit of Leviathan: Warships iOS this morning. It's ok. Not sure $5 is the right range. But I also bought it on Steam for $9.99. The Steam version, too, is ok.

1. I think the single player is hard as hell and doesn't hand-hold. Mission 1 out of the tutorial I got whooped. Like big time. Then I figured out my arcs and my speed/momentum and things clicked a little better.
2. I also think they should have done a better job explaining the use/movement of these ships.
3. I think the multiplayer has some serious promise.
4. I think the customization options for your fleet should have been gone over. There is A LOT of information on that screen to figure out. Some I'll tinker with to figure out, some is frustrating.
5. Painless registering of my account through them. The default server is EU so if you're not paying attention that might catch you.

I would recommend waiting on a sale for both of them at launch. I think both versions show great promise but right now it just feels a bit clunky.

P.S. Apparently the game has temporarily been pulled due to a MP bug on the iOS.

(I'm going to duplicate this post on the other forum in case they are interested)

I will also admit to being disappointed on my High graphics detail and it just doesn't scream good graphics, even on my PC. Alot of the edges were jaggedy (especially landmasses and ships). I suppose I could force smoothing and the like but I thought it'd be pretty out of the box you know?

I will say the water effects look WAY better on the PC but the changing of the graphics on my PC still has the jaggedy rocks. I wish I knew how to do pics on my iPad so I could show a comparison.

PC Graphics:
921520_10201162885059399_544512794_o.jpg

iPad: Same shot (well 1 turn sooner)

919553_10201162908259979_690049832_o.jpg

Leviathan looks like something I'd enjoy. I'd be more likely to pick it up if it was on the Humble Store and gave me a Steam code and Android version the way Kairo does. I hope to see more of that.

[quote name='Rirse']Is it me or midweek madness been pretty awful for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it's the cheapest Sherlock Holmes has been. I'll probably pick it up.

thoughts on the Dirt franchise pack? that is lot of racing for only $17 and I seem to have a lack of racing games on my game collection. Now that I think about it, the last racing sim I bought/played was Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2

[quote name='erequena']That does look very interesting. Sort of Black & Whitish I assume?

Still not listed on Steam though, but thanks for bringing it up![/QUOTE]

Yeah, a casual Black & White is what came to mind when I saw it.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']thoughts on the Dirt franchise pack? that is lot of racing for only $17 and I seem to have a lack of racing games on my game collection. Now that I think about it, the last racing sim I bought/played was Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2[/QUOTE]

I haven't actually played all of them yet, but most people say to avoid Dirt Showdown, and you don't really need all of the games. I think just buying one Dirt 2 or Dirt 3 should suffice. I hated Gymkhana in Dirt 3, so you might want to research it a bit and factor that into your decision.

Dirt 2 is fucking awesome, at definite buy at $5
Dirt 3 is also really good, I strongly recommend it at $8.50
Dirt Showdown is Dirt in name only, the gameplay is much much different. It's been slammed by Critics and Dirt fans alike. (That said there are some people who like it.) I don't own it so I can't say more. I might pick it up when it hits $5.

Thanks Ikeda, I found the PC vs iPad screenshots interesting

If anyone was going to purchase Lone Survivor, and doesn't have Super Meat Boy and Braid, PM me, I still have an unused steam key for Super Meat Boy, Lone Survivor, and Braid from the Humble Indie Bundle V and I only need Lone Survivor, have the other two. iSerra wanted it.

[quote name='Izod517']Or just buy Manhunt for $2.50 from pantsattack in the trade thread.[/QUOTE]

I'll sell you Manhunt for $2.50 if you want...I haven't bought the pack yet because I just want Bully and not Manhunt.

[quote name='Genocidal']Steam achievements have been added for Bioshock 2, including Minerva's Den: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/8850/achievements

Make of that what you will.[/QUOTE]

I also noticed Bioshock 1 now has a View Stats page that games with achievements usually get. When I was replaying Bioshock 2 a few weeks ago, I noticed it had the View Stats page at the time, but it was blank at the time.

GMG has had better Dirt deals recently after the 20% coupon than Steam's current individual prices. The pack is a pretty good deal, though. I got Dirt 3 on GMG on 3/28 for $6.80 and Dirt Showdown on 4/13 for $6. They both activated on Steam.

[quote name='asheskitty'](PC release on 17 Sept... same for console peasants)[/QUOTE]

PC release? I already expect it to come but where do you see PC sept 17th?

[quote name='SelmaBlair']PC release? I already expect it to come but where do you see PC sept 17th?[/QUOTE]

dumb site, looks like their info wasn't credible

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back