The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Thanks, I'll try both of these (I don't know why this game is so addicting:whee:). Problem is my browser crashed, and I didn't write my code down. Oh well, guess I'll have to start again:drool:[/QUOTE]

Bookmark the save link.

Looks like 66% off star wars franchise is the weekend deal. Not the greatest but then again perhaps this could be the last chance for some star wars love at a reduced price on steam

[quote name='ezelkow1']Looks like 66% off star wars franchise is the weekend deal. Not the greatest but then again perhaps this could be the last chance for some star wars love at a reduced price on steam[/QUOTE]

Was about to point that out as well, might be a good time to pick the few I'm missing that I've been interested in.

I was going to recommend the Jedi Knight Collection to everyone but it is not on sale as far as I can see. Individual games are on sale however.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/25772/

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Well since people were talking about Candy Box...can anyone answer this question from the frog, I'm totally stumped:

"Now, just type the answer to
that question and I'll give
you a very special present :
what is the only thing to go
beyond the limits of our
universe ? "[/QUOTE]

His noodly appendage?

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Thanks, I'll try both of these (I don't know why this game is so addicting:whee:). Problem is my browser crashed, and I didn't write my code down. Oh well, guess I'll have to start again:drool:[/QUOTE]

I would say that it is fantastic since I have been rendering video and working on another school project all day. Since I don't pay the game that much attention every time I come back I have just an absurd amount of candies. Yay for 100 lollipops a second!... that stuff is insanely expensive...

Grabbed Battlefront 2, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy. Played them years ago (Battlefront I played this morning on Xbox with my cousin...) and loved them. $10 for 3 awesome games isn't bad... Dark Forces 2 is supposed to be awesome, but man, I can't get past the heads made of like, 10 polygons.

KOTOR 1 & 2 are also on sale for $3.39 each. I've never played these classics so I will add these 2 to my short backlog.

[quote name='darkrun']KOTOR 1 & 2 are also on sale for $3.39 each. I've never played these classics so I will add these 2 to my short backlog.[/QUOTE]

If you're just looking add those games to your backlog, you might wanna hold off until the Summer Sale which should happen in July. The two KOTOR games usually get 75% discounts during the big sales.

[quote name='The End']If you're just looking add those games to your backlog, you might wanna hold off until the Summer Sale which should happen in July. The two KOTOR games usually get 75% discounts during the big sales.[/QUOTE]

But what if all the Star Wars games get removed from the store? ;)

*encourages paranoia*

[quote name='spoderman']But what if all the Star Wars games get removed from the store? ;)

*encourages paranoia*[/QUOTE]

This post makes me sad. I was one of those paranoid people. I bought the Star Wars collection back in November when it was only 50% off. :(

[quote name='Izod517']ORLY? Then I might give Dark a chance at some point. I could really only make it about halfway through Demon Souls before I had taken more than enough punishment. Though I do think every gamer should try it - it can certainly change the way you play games. I'm overly cautious in all games now. I don't think I've raised a single unscripted alarm in Tomb Raider and I'm 9 hours in.[/QUOTE]

Play Dark Souls!! I havn't played Demon Souls (yet, i do have ps+.) But seriously that game has so much depth it just sucked me in. Everytime I am so privileged to get to explore new areas it is seriously overjoying, you might die but you will also be rewarded trust me.

[quote name='spoderman']But what if all the Star Wars games get removed from the store? ;)

*encourages paranoia*[/QUOTE]

How come Star Wars games are a threat to be removed?

[quote name='MC Kage']How come Star Wars games are a threat to be removed?[/QUOTE]

Lucasfilm got bought by Disney. How many other Disney properties do you see on Steam?

(Here's a hint: The only LEGO game not on Steam is Pirates of the Caribbean.;))

[quote name='MC Kage']How come Star Wars games are a threat to be removed?[/QUOTE]

cause disney bought the rights and then shutdown the studio. So now the rights are up for grabs, so if some other publisher or studio buys them and they arent steam friendly, then the games might go. Or if disney keeps the rights they arent that steam friendly either

Anyone got any opinions on the force unleashed games? The critic scores or low, but of course that doesnt mean much. Trying to figure out if its worth it to just get the whole pack even though I have 3 of them already, or just pick n choose the best for a little less

So which of these Star Wars games is worth getting? The only ones that I've played are KOTOR 1 and 2. Right now, I'm looking at Empire at War, Jedi Academy, and Jedi Outcast. Any others I should be considering?

[quote name='ezelkow1']cause disney bought the rights and then shutdown the studio. So now the rights are up for grabs, so if some other publisher or studio buys them and they arent steam friendly, then the games might go. Or if disney keeps the rights they arent that steam friendly either

Anyone got any opinions on the force unleashed games? The critic scores or low, but of course that doesnt mean much. Trying to figure out if its worth it to just get the whole pack even though I have 3 of them already, or just pick n choose the best for a little less[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, figured something like that happened, seems to be the trend. appreciate the help y'all.

& yeah I'm contemplating the same thing, already have the KOTOR's, just got Academy, Battlefront, Republic Commando, all some of my personal favorites. I know The Force Unleashed games are pretty linear but they're still fun games. hope they don't taken down.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']So which of these Star Wars games is worth getting? The only ones that I've played are KOTOR 1 and 2. Right now, I'm looking at Empire at War, Jedi Academy, and Jedi Outcast. Any others I should be considering?[/QUOTE]

The ones you posted are the best choices, along with Dark Forces 2 (if you don't mind the dated graphics, and potential issues on Windows 7).

The only other one I'd recommend is Battlefront 2.. but I'm not sure if you can play that online anymore, there've been CD key issues on Steam with it for over a year.

[quote name='ezelkow1']Anyone got any opinions on the force unleashed games? The critic scores or low, but of course that doesnt mean much. Trying to figure out if its worth it to just get the whole pack even though I have 3 of them already, or just pick n choose the best for a little less[/QUOTE]
Utter crap, in my opinion. Lame story, repetitive annoying gameplay, etc etc. Both my friend and myself played them and hated them, and he somehow forced himself to play through both games. By the end of them, he wasn't even sure why he bothered.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']So which of these Star Wars games is worth getting? The only ones that I've played are KOTOR 1 and 2. Right now, I'm looking at Empire at War, Jedi Academy, and Jedi Outcast. Any others I should be considering?[/QUOTE]
Empire at War is good fun if you're into RTS games, KOTOR 1/2 should be played by every RPG or Star Wars fan, Jedi Academy is awesome and has great customization, Jedi Outcast has a better story and SP than Academy I think, and Battlefront 2 is just amazing. Dark Forces 2 is supposed to be great, but those graphics have not aged well.

So in order of what you should buy (top = buy first):

1. KOTOR 1/2 (these have been cheaper recently, but not by much, and Disney may mess things up)
  2. Battlefront 2
  3. Jedi Academy
  4. Jedi Outcast
  5. Empire at War (still great, even though it's at the bottom)
I wish they were 75% off, but the prices are still good.

any thoughts on HOMMVI? I played a lot of 5 when it came out and really enjoyed it. I have unfortunately not played any of the others (I hear 3 is amazing).
Is HOMMVI a worthy purchase? Or should I hold out till the summer sale?

[quote name='ezelkow1']Anyone got any opinions on the force unleashed games? The critic scores or low, but of course that doesnt mean much. Trying to figure out if its worth it to just get the whole pack even though I have 3 of them already, or just pick n choose the best for a little less[/QUOTE]

Personally I think both of them had high potential but both fell pretty flat on their faces. They had a lot going for them but neither of them lived up to what they claimed to be. Both are riddled with bugs, stupid plot points, terrible DLC, etc.

In other words, someone in this thread probably bought a few copies of each. :lol:

[quote name='kendog1331']any thoughts on HOMMVI? I played a lot of 5 when it came out and really enjoyed it. I have unfortunately not played any of the others (I hear 3 is amazing).
Is HOMMVI a worthy purchase? Or should I hold out till the summer sale?[/QUOTE]
I've had fun with it, and it's a nice looking game, but there are a lot of complaints from fans of the series about things they changed from V to VI.

It was the first HOMM I played, and I think it's great. The only annoying thing is that certain gameplay features are not available in offline mode, and online saves are different than offline saves (i.e. you can't load a save file that was saved while online if you're offline).

Besides that, it's a nice game. Pretty good voiceovers, exploration, combat, great graphics, etc. If you're a fan of King's Bounty, you should have fun with it (note that they are fairly different, even though they're the same genre, though).

I can also confirm this is the cheapest it has been on Steam, and sales for this one are few and far between (I have the Uplay version).

[quote name='kendog1331']any thoughts on HOMMVI? I played a lot of 5 when it came out and really enjoyed it. I have unfortunately not played any of the others (I hear 3 is amazing).
Is HOMMVI a worthy purchase? Or should I hold out till the summer sale?[/QUOTE]

They are launching a new DLC, so, I'll wait for a complete version (and price reduction).

I just bough the HOMMV pack, and after playing that, I'll buy HOMM 3 & 4. The Last one can wait :)

[quote name='juanjava']They are launching a new DLC, so, I'll wait for a complete version (and price reduction).

I just bough the HOMMV pack, and after playing that, I'll buy HOMM 3 & 4. The Last one can wait :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks
I was trying to see a while ago, but I couldn't tell if the DLC was stand alone or not? Does anyone know?

[quote name='Idiotekque']Utter crap, in my opinion. Lame story, repetitive annoying gameplay, etc etc. Both my friend and myself played them and hated them, and he somehow forced himself to play through both games. By the end of them, he wasn't even sure why he bothered.

Empire at War is good fun if you're into RTS games, KOTOR 1/2 should be played by every RPG or Star Wars fan, Jedi Academy is awesome and has great customization, Jedi Outcast has a better story and SP than Academy I think, and Battlefront 2 is just amazing. Dark Forces 2 is supposed to be great, but those graphics have not aged well.

1. KOTOR 1/2 (these have been cheaper recently, but not by much, and Disney may mess things up)
  2. Battlefront 2
  3. Jedi Academy
  4. Jedi Outcast
I wish they were 75% off, but the prices are still good.[/QUOTE]

You'd think there would be a bigger sale with it being "May the 4th" and all. I might as well get the KOTORs and stuff while you can I guess.

The only Star Wars games in this pack that I don't own (either on Steam or on console) are Republic Commando, Empire at War, and Republic Heroes. The former two have my interest but I for one don't really believe that these games are going to be taken off Steam any time soon.

Also, UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME: I don't like the Battlefront games at all. Sorry everyone. :|

thanks for the force unleashed warnings, decided to skip those, mysteries of the sith, and clone wars.

Id definitely recommend empire at war, great fun, reminiscent of older RTS styles which I personally find more fun than the more recent squad type ones. Battlefront also killed many many hours in college on the xbox so its always a good one to have. I think most of the time we just played against each other or bots so for me at least the possible lack of multiplayer isnt a huge deal

[quote name='N3UROP0D']The only Star Wars games in this pack that I don't own (either on Steam or on console) are Republic Commando, Empire at War, and Republic Heroes. The former two have my interest but I for one don't really believe that these games are going to be taken off Steam any time soon.

Also, UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME: I don't like the Battlefront games at all. Sorry everyone. :|[/QUOTE]

How dare you, it is a great series, adding you to ignore list blah blah blah. ;)

I didn't like the Battlefront series either, to be honest. I definitely agree with the list in that KOTOR 1/2 are the best games. Out of the ones you don't own, however, my order of recommendation is Republic Heroes, then Republic Commando, and finally EaW. RH is a mix of many other genres, where missions change based on your character, and it has a jump-in Co-Op mode. RC is an FPS. Empire at War is another RTS, and I didn't much care for it.

[quote name='spoderman']The ones you posted are the best choices, along with Dark Forces 2 (if you don't mind the dated graphics, and potential issues on Windows 7).

The only other one I'd recommend is Battlefront 2.. but I'm not sure if you can play that online anymore, there've been CD key issues on Steam with it for over a year.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Idiotekque']Empire at War is good fun if you're into RTS games, KOTOR 1/2 should be played by every RPG or Star Wars fan, Jedi Academy is awesome and has great customization, Jedi Outcast has a better story and SP than Academy I think, and Battlefront 2 is just amazing. Dark Forces 2 is supposed to be great, but those graphics have not aged well.

2. Battlefront 2
  3. Jedi Academy
  4. Jedi Outcast
I wish they were 75% off, but the prices are still good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks to you both! I'll look into Battlefront 2, as well. Good to know that I'm looking at the right games... there are so many of them on sale that it's hard to choose. I don't think any of these games (other than the KOTORs) hit over 50% over the winter sale, so it's been a while since they've been 66% or more off.

[quote name='TheAlmighty91']The Tomb Raider deal is unbelievable! $35 for the entire collection including the new 2013 release.. talk about a good time[/QUOTE]

They were $32 on GMG a few days ago ($20 for the new TR, $12 for the rest.)

[quote name='garrion81']Looks like there is also a Might and Magic Heroes Pack for $4.99 that has HoMM5, its expansions, and Dark Messiah bundled together. Was a good enough deal that I bit on it. Figured I would share for the two other people out there that are interested in these games and don't already have them hanging out in the backlog.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know if this is 4 keys or 1 key or some other combination? Already have Messiah and Heroes 5 but not the expansions so I can use them in this $4.99 deal instead of paying $10 for them if bought outside of this pack. Would rather trade or gift the other 2 games than have them disappear into the Steam void if it were just one key for the whole pack. TIA.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Also, UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME: I don't like the Battlefront games at all. Sorry everyone. :|[/QUOTE]

I found the battlefront games to be pretty meh as well.

Just to chime in on the HOMM discussion...I am also waiting for a better deal on VI, maybe even a complete pack once all the expansions have been released and discounted. Which is saying a lot for me, considering how many hours I've put into the series and King's Bounty over the years. But after spending a significant amount of time with V, my conclusion was that from a gameplay perspective it was solid, but it just didn't draw me into its world the way III did. Music and graphics were mediocre, and the writing and voice-acting were absolutely abominable. The random map generator didn't work, and there were very few non-campaign maps, until like in III, where I never even played the campaigns despite playing the game for many years. Although I generally prefer straight strategy to RPGs, the KB games IMO are vastly superior to HOMMV, and with the ambivalent reviews for VI I prefer to wait to see if they can fix it with patches and DLC, and then get it on the cheap if at all. Sadly, it seems like the series just hasn't been the same since the demise of NWC.

But if you do get V, just know that you only need Tribes of the East (the last expansion, standalone), unless you want to try to play the horrid SP campaigns of the first two games.

[quote name='Cagamer99']Does anyone know if this is 4 keys or 1 key or some other combination? Already have Messiah and Heroes 5 but not the expansions so I can use them in this $4.99 deal instead of paying $10 for them if bought outside of this pack. Would rather trade or gift the other 2 games than have them disappear into the Steam void if it were just one key for the whole pack. TIA.[/QUOTE]

It's direct from Steam. There are no keys.

You can't gift games you already have, either.

If you buy it for your inventory it will appear as a single item.

[quote name='Preedatore']I found the battlefront games to be pretty meh as well.[/QUOTE]
As far as FPS gunplay and physics go, Battlefront isn't winning any contests, but it's Star Wars, and it's a solid shooter that captures the big epic Star Wars battle thing really well. It's getting older, but it's still good fun.

[quote name='annihilator']
Just to chime in on the HOMM discussion...I am also waiting for a better deal on VI, maybe even a complete pack once all the expansions have been released and discounted. Which is saying a lot for me, considering how many hours I've put into the series and King's Bounty over the years. But after spending a significant amount of time with V, my conclusion was that from a gameplay perspective it was solid, but it just didn't draw me into its world the way III did. Music and graphics were mediocre, and the writing and voice-acting were absolutely abominable. The random map generator didn't work, and there were very few non-campaign maps, until like in III, where I never even played the campaigns despite playing the game for many years. Although I generally prefer straight strategy to RPGs, the KB games IMO are vastly superior to HOMMV, and with the ambivalent reviews for VI I prefer to wait to see if they can fix it with patches and DLC, and then get it on the cheap if at all. Sadly, it seems like the series just hasn't been the same since the demise of NWC.

But if you do get V, just know that you only need Tribes of the East (the last expansion, standalone), unless you want to try to play the horrid SP campaigns of the first two games.
[/QUOTE]
I think a LOT of the negative feedback on VI comes from the "always online" things and Uplay requirement. From what I've played though, it's well done and a lot of fun. Still kinda pricey though. I got Far Cry 3 for $15 during the free game event, where HOMM VI Deluxe was a choice, so I basically paid $7.50 for it.

Originally I downloaded Steam to get games that had multilanguage options (unlike Xbox) so that I could practice my Spanish since I plan on double majoring in Spanish and something else. Therefore the Star Wars games that have Spanish voice acting in this sale get my first priority, then games with Spanish text but no acting, then English only games.... except Battlefront 2 because I want that game so bad! I am such a nerd!

Steam is awesome, so glad I downloaded this and now my Xbox is collecting dust.

[quote name='MysterD']How's the long history look?
Can you predict any awesome upcoming deals?
Is your game backlog getting ridiculously huge, too?[/QUOTE]

Gabe is my shepherd, I shall not want.

440+ on steam iirc. 25+ on origin. A good number non-client Digital & Retail. I predict that I'm going to have a hard time finding anything I'm still interested in buying. Steam really needs to broaden their seasonal sale to include stuff I hadn't see/considered before, llike my $3 gambles on Overlord Complete & The Maw in Xmas 2010. Also I used to do most of my game shopping on the steam seasonal sales and pick up anything that crossed by path at the right price inbetween. Now things are different, in my daily hunting, but also the landscape has changed... the two most significant are: GMG's sales + 20%+ codes since Fall, and Tony's occasionally awesome deals & bundles. I don't pick up that much on the steam seasonal sales comparatively.

[quote name='tfr']I would love to see some cats, but I am very confused with the popup that asks you to login or sign up. It blocks 90% of the page, and I see no way to close it. Is this the future of the Internet? Members only exclusive content. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Oh right, they starting doing that a couple months back. If you turn off javascript (or used noscript) you don't see it. Also it's just a dumb overlay, any AdBlock variant will lets you select and block it, graphically to boot. foreignpolicy.com is usually a serious site, fyi.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
Utter crap, in my opinion. Lame story, repetitive annoying gameplay, etc etc. Both my friend and myself played them and hated them, and he somehow forced himself to play through both games. By the end of them, he wasn't even sure why he bothered.

2. Battlefront 2
  3. Jedi Academy
  4. Jedi Outcast
I wish they were 75% off, but the prices are still good.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='TheAlmighty91']The Tomb Raider deal is unbelievable! $35 for the entire collection including the new 2013 release.. talk about a good time[/QUOTE]

"unbelievable" ...only if it's Capcom
but it's not. It's Square Enix. You have much to learn.
Stay a while and listen.

[quote name='Idiotekque']AI got Far Cry 3 for $15 during the free game event, where HOMM VI Deluxe was a choice, so I basically paid $7.50 for it.[/QUOTE]

Wha? When? (Possibly I didn't notice because I would have ruled out picking up FC3 while still running my GTX 260.)

Don't do that to yourself please, if you already didn't...

So I picked up HOMMVI Gold because I've been wanting to play it for a while. But UPLAY totally fucked me. I put in the the CD keys, and all I can access is the DLC campaigns. I can't get to any of the custom maps, not from the main game or the dlc. Did anyone have this problem, and any way to fix it? I just want to play haha.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Just started playing Battlefront 2 online no problem. It doesn't require a CD key anymore.

And there are mods! :D[/QUOTE]

Are there ever. This one based on Mass Effect is one I got pretty excited about a while ago but never got around to trying it out. Large Turian and Geth armies battling it out sounds pretty damn sweet.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Are there ever. This one based on Mass Effect is one I got pretty excited about a while ago but never got around to trying it out. Large Turian and Geth armies battling it out sounds pretty damn sweet.[/QUOTE]
I was on the fence but that just tilted it in favor of me grabbing. I think I'll get Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando.

I bought the Heroes Pack which is a really good deal, Might & Magic Clash of Heroes is also on sale at 75% off and the game doesn't have UPlay, for those that wants to try something different from the M&M series may consider picking this up as well.

[quote name='jrodri86']Don't do that to yourself please, if you already didn't...[/QUOTE]
On the plus side, Tomb Raider was a good game. So if you bought it, at least play it now so it's not still sitting in your backlog when it reaches $7.49

RE: Star Wars

If you've never played the KOTOR games, you should; even as buggy as KOTOR 2 is, these are some fantastic RPGs. If you enjoy real-time strategy games, you'll like Empire at War; just be prepared for a seriously-imbalanced game. The Imperial campaign is so much easier than the Rebel campaign, it borders on hilarious. In Petroglyph's defense, I'm pretty sure that was intentional. Republic Commando is a pretty solid FPS. All of the Jedi Knight series games are worth playing, especially Jedi Outcast (I'm not sure how well the Steam versions of these play on modern systems). I could never really get into the Battlefront series, despite several attempts; it's probably not a reflection on the quality of the games so much as this particular subgenre (large-scale team based multiplayer shooters like this and LOTR: Conquest) never appealed very much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back