The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='N3UROP0D']I love the false implication that this thread is usually on-topic for more than six seconds at a time.[/QUOTE]

So going "off-topic" is actually being "on-topic" in *this* thread? ;)

[quote name='Eldredpe']Somebody missed last night's image macro-off.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I enjoyed that almost enough to make up for this godawful "what defines a hipster" discussion. Sorry if I'm sensitive...I live in NYC.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I love the false implication that Steam has deals to post about.[/QUOTE]

We probably won't be saying that, when the Steam Summer Sale hits.... ;)

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I love the false implication that this thread is usually on-topic for more than six seconds at a time.[/QUOTE]

lol :)

Does anyone think Left 4 Dead 2 will be on sale during the Steam Summer Sale? I heard a rumor there was also a Summer Seal last year that actually turned out to be better than the Summer Sale, is that true? Also, please point me in the direction of MSRP priced games that you feel are worth adding to my backlog at full price, preferably $50 or above but I will consider games under $50 as long as they are indie darlings and give me no more than 2 hours of repetitive gameplay.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Does anyone think Left 4 Dead 2 will be on sale during the Steam Summer Sale? I heard a rumor there was also a Summer Seal last year that actually turned out to be better than the Summer Sale, is that true? Also, please point me in the direction of MSRP priced games that you feel are worth adding to my backlog at full price, preferably $50 or above but I will consider games under $50 as long as they are indie darlings and give me no more than 2 hours of repetitive gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Just wait for the Valve Humble Bundle. ;)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Does anyone think Left 4 Dead 2 will be on sale during the Steam Summer Sale? I heard a rumor there was also a Summer Seal last year that actually turned out to be better than the Summer Sale, is that true? Also, please point me in the direction of MSRP priced games that you feel are worth adding to my backlog at full price, preferably $50 or above but I will consider games under $50 as long as they are indie darlings and give me no more than 2 hours of repetitive gameplay.[/QUOTE]

The War Z

[quote name='Eldredpe']I thought Onyx was a rock-type Pokemon...?[/QUOTE]

A Rock-type Pokemon might know RockMan (AKA MegaMan).

There's a guy named Falcongamer in the Steam trade thread, he has what you seek. :lol:

[quote name='Syntax Error']If I lived in NYC, I'd feel sensitive about it too![/QUOTE]

New Yorker here; not sensitive about it. If I lived in L.A. , however, I'd be paranoid.

[quote name='razorracer83']LOL! This thread with the hipster talk beats the pinball chat on the iOS sales thread in terms of WTFness.[/QUOTE]

this isn't that strange compared to that whole coconut queen phase this thread went through last year

What do you want, when the only notable deals in like a month have been from Gamersgate and frigging Impulse, things are gonna get weird.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']this isn't that strange compared to that whole coconut queen phase this thread went through last year[/QUOTE]

All hail the Queen!

found this, made me think of Asheskitty's family reunion (or mine)

tumblr_m9vezyGBCG1r6qp3oo1_1280.jpg

oh yeah, anyone buy the Call of Doody Black Plops 2 weekend deal?

Oh and a throwback all the way to mid 2012

picture.php

[quote name='Syntax Error']If I lived in NYC, I'd feel sensitive about it too![/QUOTE]

If I lived in NYC, I would probably move away from NYC. Of course, there isn't much you can fit inside a white Volkswagon Beetle that you painted a freestyle rendition of your zodiacal chart on, along with that line you often quote from Wallace Stevens' poem Final Soliloquy of the Interior Paramour, but at least it exposes your immateriality for additional hipness.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']#AbandonThread[/QUOTE]

You just used a hash tag on a forum to express distaste in hipster discussion.

tumblr_mhz16aefxM1qmruv6o1_250.gif

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']#AbandonThread

When%2BI%2Bfound%2Bout.gif
[/QUOTE]

You just used a hash tag on a forum to express distaste in hipster discussion.

hipster_main22.jpg

[quote name='Blade']You just used a hash tag on a forum to express distaste in hipster discussion.

tumblr_mhz16aefxM1qmruv6o1_250.gif
[/QUOTE]
Are you calling us Tumblr users hipsters, you hipster?

[quote name='sunasun']found this, made me think of Asheskitty's family reunion (or mine)[/QUOTE]
You "found this"... while searching "hot ginger on ginger action". Am I right or am I right?

Either I live in a bubble or California doesn't have hipsters.

%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3Justin%20Bieber-1736963.jpg

Nevermind, carry on.

EDIT (hipster discussion):

I just finished reading the ~essay posted defining "hipster" on urbandictionary.com. I've gotta say, I've never really had the word defined for me before, but I always knew that the stereotypical white guy in skinny jeans, a polo shirt and a dou--"trendy" hairstyle fit into the category. Having read that, confirming my assumptions, a lot of my college buddies would be considered hipsters. I'm by no means a hipster, but I can't help but wonder, why them?

Thinking back to my early college days:

I'm a little late to class one day, walking into class about thirty minutes late, considering asking one of the people around me what I'd missed.

I ask the person in front of me, unable to help the fact that I'm staring at his greasy, unwashed, flaky hair, smelling the shit on his breath that he'd apparently ate earlier, and quickly avoid getting an answer from him.

Then I look to my right and see another guy on reddit scrolling through the "funny" section, realize he doesn't give a shit about the class and turn to my left and see a seemingly approachable white guy in skinny jeans, and a navy-blue jacket with a "shaggy" hairstyle - somewhat greasy, but at least he seemed to have washed it within the past 2 days.

I notice he's taking notes on his tablet, which he had connected to a keyboard to it, so I go ahead and ask him what I missed. In a relaxed, laid-back way he says "Oh, you didn't miss anything dude, he's just been lecturing".

Back to the now, I made this story up, but it isn't far from the truth. Taking a moment to think about it, I realize that the three people that I talked to that day represent the three "classifications" of people that make up about 80% of the students in my classes (I'm a computer science major). Thinking about which of these three people I'd rather deal with, 100% of the time I'd pick the hipster-like guy.

Sure, I don't quite identify well with the type, but it beats hygienically-challenged socially-awkward computer science undergrads or douchebags. Not that hipsters aren't douchebags, but at least they're somewhat intelligent. While I still think that hipsters are a bit douchey, they still beat smelly/douchebag-y nerds (I'm by no means implying that I'm not a nerd).

In the end, who gives a fuck? Hipsters are going to be hipsters, rednecks are going to be rednecks, douchebags are going to be douchebags, and this thread is always going to be off-topic.

On to the next subject. I believe ashes had a suggestion? ;)

[quote name='gentlyporking']It's funny how people throw around the word "hipster" to describe something that they don't either like or understand in an attempt to somehow shame those people for liking what they like. In actuality, it just makes the person calling others "hipsters" look pathetic and sad.[/QUOTE]

It's funny how people get all passive aggressive about their pet peeves. They think it makes them look cool and erudite but in reality they loYOUUUUU SUUUUUCK

[quote name='monkeysez']so...any good flight combat simulators on steam?[/QUOTE]

DCS A-10 Warthog
One of the best out there, it isn't your grandma's sim either.

[quote name='KaOTiK']DCS A-10 Warthog
One of the best out there, it isn't your grandma's sim either.[/QUOTE]

My grandma won't play anything that doesn't use a voxel engine.

If anyone wants to see a perfect definition of a hipster, you need not look further than Burnell from this past season of American Idol.

burnelltaylor.jpg

Don't ask me how I know this...but cot damn.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']this isn't that strange compared to that whole coconut queen phase this thread went through last year[/QUOTE]

It's not a phase it's a way of life!
FBPoo.png

[quote name='asheskitty']That kinda makes GOG sales look like deep discounts.
[/QUOTE]

I mean, that's quite a lot higher than most Steam first week discounts.

And I'm not sure that GOG has had SS2 on sale at all yet.

Seems like a pretty good deal.

And thanks for reminding me that I never completed System Shock 1... :wall:[/QUOTE]

30% off is pretty solid for a "new release" game.

And thanks for reminding me that I never completed System Shock 1... :wall:[/QUOTE]

GOG hasn't even put the game on sale yet has it? It's a relatively new release even for GOG. For Steam it just released today and it's straight to a sale it seems. Guess that was the publisher's choice.

I'm willing to pick up GOG games on Steam at the right price, but owning the on GOG you get the feelies.

Counterpoint: If you've waited this long, $10 at re-release in Jan on GOG was quite affordable, else wait for a 50%+ sale. Buying it now for $7 on steam is just weird.

Wow Blizzard seems to be having a really bad week... between the Gold Duping Scandal with the latest Diablo 3 patch and articles *everywhere* (e.g. including FP BBC) about how much WoW subs are down (which could possibly spell the end to the traditional MMO-sub model).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back