The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']Wow Blizzard seems to be having a really bad week... between the Gold Duping Scandal with the latest Diablo 3 patch and articles *everywhere* (e.g. including FP BBC) about how much WoW subs are down (which could possibly spell the end to the traditional MMO-sub model).[/QUOTE]

BREAKING: Blizzard Speculated to Go Way of THQ

Humble Blizzard Bundle on the horizon?

Who's in the running to buy the Rock & Roll Racing IP?

I think Blizz will be just fine. ;)

[quote name='Eldredpe']BREAKING: Blizzard Speculated to Go Way of THQ

[/QUOTE]

New Lost Vikings please.

[/QUOTE]

Ooh, I wonder who'll pick up Lemmings and turn it into a FPS...

Pinball FX2 is now available on Steam. The game download that is listed as free is basically just a platform. You must buy the tables to play this game, though there are trials available.

All table packs other than the Marvel Original Pack are 10% off ($8.99) for the next week.

This is not a free game. There has been confusion about this on other platforms, sometimes long after release, so I just want to make that clear now.

[quote name='louiedog']Pinball FX2 is now available on Steam. The game download that is listed as free is basically just a platform. You must buy the tables to play this game, though there are trials available.

All table packs other than the Marvel Original Pack are currently 10% off ($8.99)

This is not a free game. There has been confusion about this on other platforms, sometimes long after release, so I just want to make that clear now.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to this. I've been playing the Star Wars tables on the Ipad nonstop since the .99 sale last week. Eventually, these will hit 75%.

[quote name='louiedog']Pinball FX2 is now available on Steam. The game download that is listed as free is basically just a platform. You must buy the tables to play this game, though there are trials available.

All table packs other than the Marvel Original Pack are 10% off ($8.99) for the next week.

This is not a free game. There has been confusion about this on other platforms, sometimes long after release, so I just want to make that clear now.[/QUOTE]

That looks pretty cool, though as a meatspace pinball fan I'm a little skeptical (though I have an open mind). Imo, they really could use have a single cheap table (say $3) just to try it out (or a 5-minute limited time-play table).

[quote name='Severose']stuff[/QUOTE]

See, I think "nerd" is archaic. Maybe I'm just old and the term has changed meanings since I became one, but a "nerd" used to be a knowledgeable person who loves technology. And in the information age that we live in, technological savvy is a necessity for almost every job, especially if you take into account how many computers, smart phones, and tablets people own nowadays. Anyone who spends half their day on their phone, either playing games or posting comments to Facebook, should be considered a nerd; not knowing how the phone works just makes them ignorant, but not less of a nerd. I think this much has assimilated all classical nerds and non-nerds together, and now it's just a term to describe intelligence.

With all the media and technology in our lives today, it should be considered a courtesy to call someone a nerd, as you're recognizing their adaptability and active exploration of current society. I majored in CS with a minor in programming, and I'm getting a Master's in IT Management. People would call me a nerd for this, but my undying love for Pokemon classifies me as a nerd, not my career choice; I'm in the CS field simply because I want to be successful in the future.

A hipster is an elitist outlier who intentionally dresses to stand out and is condescending when approached. Someone who wears a collared polo over a different-colored collared henley, mustard skinny jeans, and sandals with socks even in the wintertime is only trying to gain attention, nothing more. It's just a fashion trend, which makes it even more deplorable because fashion serves no practical use in society and is completely irrelevant.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Looking forward to this. I've been playing the Star Wars tables on the Ipad nonstop since the .99 sale last week. Eventually, these will hit 75%.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad they've made the move to Steam. They were on XBL for the longest time, and those digital sales always suck in comparison to Steam deals.

They've given out tables for free before, like Paranormal. We'll see some free tables for PC pretty soon. The Avengers Chronicle tables are great, and the other tables are pretty decent too.

Best table:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1A-6incw0

You can watch videos from all the tables on that channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Severose']
I just finished reading the ~essay posted defining "hipster" on urbandictionary.com. I've gotta say, I've never really had the word defined for me before, but I always knew that the stereotypical white guy in skinny jeans, a polo shirt and a dou--"trendy" hairstyle fit into the category. Having read that, confirming my assumptions, a lot of my college buddies would be considered hipsters. I'm by no means a hipster, but I can't help but wonder, why them?

Thinking back to my early college days:

I'm a little late to class one day, walking into class about thirty minutes late, considering asking one of the people around me what I'd missed.

I ask the person in front of me, unable to help the fact that I'm staring at his greasy, unwashed, flaky hair, smelling the shit on his breath that he'd apparently ate earlier, and quickly avoid getting an answer from him.

Then I look to my right and see another guy on reddit scrolling through the "funny" section, realize he doesn't give a shit about the class and turn to my left and see a seemingly approachable white guy in skinny jeans, and a navy-blue jacket with a "shaggy" hairstyle - somewhat greasy, but at least he seemed to have washed it within the past 2 days.

I notice he's taking notes on his tablet, which he had connected to a keyboard to it, so I go ahead and ask him what I missed. In a relaxed, laid-back way he says "Oh, you didn't miss anything dude, he's just been lecturing".

Back to the now, I made this story up, but it isn't far from the truth. Taking a moment to think about it, I realize that the three people that I talked to that day represent the three "classifications" of people that make up about 80% of the students in my classes (I'm a computer science major). Thinking about which of these three people I'd rather deal with, 100% of the time I'd pick the hipster-like guy.

Sure, I don't quite identify well with the type, but it beats hygienically-challenged socially-awkward computer science undergrads or douchebags. Not that hipsters aren't douchebags, but at least they're somewhat intelligent. While I still think that hipsters are a bit douchey, they still beat smelly/douchebag-y nerds (I'm by no means implying that I'm not a nerd).

In the end, who gives a fuck? Hipsters are going to be hipsters, rednecks are going to be rednecks, douchebags are going to be douchebags, and this thread is always going to be off-topic.

On to the next subject. I believe ashes had a suggestion? ;)
[/QUOTE]
I would probably classify as a redneck douchebag hipster.

To move away from the random hipster talk, and onto a somewhat more relevant topic, I've been wondering how you guys organize your Steam libraries. I've only got 50 or so games right now, but I'm already getting annoyed at where to put stuff. I'm doing it by genre at the moment, but I imagine that's not going to last very long:whee:

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']To move away from the random hipster talk, and onto a somewhat more relevant topic, I've been wondering how you guys organize your Steam libraries. I've only got 50 or so games right now, but I'm already getting annoyed at where to put stuff. I'm doing it by genre at the moment, but I imagine that's not going to last very long:whee:[/QUOTE]

I put them in categories based on the first letter. Works fine, but it's still annoying that games from the same series are often in the wrong order (Thief 2, 1, then 3? GAH.)

Also the fact that games beginning with "The" alphabetize correctly, but games starting with "A" (A Valley Without Wind, A Game of Dwarves, A Virus Named Tom...) do not.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']To move away from the random hipster talk, and onto a somewhat more relevant topic, I've been wondering how you guys organize your Steam libraries. I've only got 50 or so games right now, but I'm already getting annoyed at where to put stuff. I'm doing it by genre at the moment, but I imagine that's not going to last very long:whee:[/QUOTE]

One big list. I just have a collapsed category of things like TF2 beta, DOTA 2 test, etc. to hide them.

[quote name='Severose']stuff[/QUOTE]

See, I think "nerd" is archaic. Maybe I'm just old and the term has changed meanings since I became one, but a "nerd" used to be a knowledgeable person who loves technology. And in the information age that we live in, technological savvy is a necessity for almost every job, especially if you take into account how many computers, smart phones, and tablets people own nowadays. Anyone who spends half their day on their phone, either playing games or posting comments to Facebook, should be considered a nerd; not knowing how the phone works just makes them ignorant, but not less of a nerd. I think this much has assimilated all classical nerds and non-nerds together, and now it's just a term to describe intelligence.

With all the media and technology in our lives today, it should be considered a courtesy to call someone a nerd, as you're recognizing their adaptability and active exploration of current society. I majored in CS with a minor in programming, and I'm getting a Master's in IT Management. People would call me a nerd for this, but my undying love for Pokemon classifies me as a nerd, not my career choice; I'm in the CS field simply because I want to be successful in the future.

A hipster is an elitist outlier who intentionally dresses to stand out and is condescending when approached. Someone who wears a collared polo over a different-colored collared henley, mustard skinny jeans, and sandals with socks even in the wintertime is only trying to gain attention, nothing more. It's just a fashion trend, which makes it even more deplorable because fashion is completely irrelevant.

Alphabetized within 3 categories, unassigned, Sam & Max (since I have all of them), and Finished (/crap that I got for cheap or free that I don't want to ever play again).

yE4oJAR.png

Backlog
Beaten
Garbage (Betas and Mac versions and stuff I will never play)
Multiplayer (MMOs and shooters and stuff that I play Multiplayer)
Playing (Where I put games I want to play now)
Pocop (Co-op games I play with friends. Called Pocop to get it at the bottom of the list and because it is fun to say.)
Games (I try to keep this completely empty so I notice when something new pops up, like the Marvel Heroes open beta this weekend that I just noticed.)

990 Steam games, and this system has been working perfectly. If I were to change/add one thing, it would be breaking down my backlog by genre, (ie Backlog - TBS, Backlog - RTS, Backlog - FPS), but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I keep the majority of my games in one regular list, then I have the categories "Completed," "Currently Playing," "Priority," and a category for games that fit into the BGCQ backlog theme of the month, which changes on a month to month basis, of course.

This is for a library of ~400.

I don't mind the loose lack of categorization too much.

There are a few prevailing ways...
1) Genre ... imo keep it general... Action/Racing/RPG/Strategy/FPS/Indie/zCrap Edit: forgot Racing Sim / Shump
2) Status ... Playing / Shortlist / Backlog / OverAndDone
2) Alphabetical ... (I'm not explaining this)
3) None! ... favorites / everything else

I personally have 440 items in my steam list and am a fan of Genre. I can certainly see merit in status (I really wish I could color code games in my steam list based on status).

I'd also point out that there is a search box right above the list (in detail view).

Also good and find out the file that has your sorted information... once in awhile steam fucks up and loses all your sorting info (especially if you use steam on multiple computers).

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Damn, I like the look of that. Dunno if it's worth the 3-5 hours to implement such a system on my account though.[/QUOTE]
Did it when I had about 200 games, probably. Didn't take very long. I just keep up on it (have about 400 now).

Some categories are nearly pointless though, like FPS Tower Defense (one game inside it, Sanctum).

The steam category system is unfortunately pretty awful in implementation.

I wish they would have subcategories and, most importantly, a way to add games in batches to categories, as currently you have to do each one individually through the menu, and then Steam warps you down in your list to where that game has gone to.

Really terrible.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Zombies
Bad Rats
Crap[/QUOTE]
Well, at least I'm not the only one that doesn't think Bad Rats isn't crap. :p

As for Steam categories, I just have it in alphabetical order. I have 1 category that is named current that I put stuff I am playing, want to play very very soon, and new stuff I bought that I want to play. I do that because I forget I buy some games lol

[quote name='Eldredpe']I wish they would have subcategories and, most importantly, a way to add games in batches to categories, as currently you have to do each one individually through the menu, and then Steam warps you down in your list to where that game has gone to.[/QUOTE]

This is why I won't even consider categorizing mine. It would be a nightmare.

I use a bunch of genre categories too. Alphabetically isn't much use - I don't know what kind of games the vast majority of my library is, and I'm not going to pick one to play based solely on the name.

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Backlog
Beaten
Garbage (Betas and Mac versions and stuff I will never play)
Multiplayer (MMOs and shooters and stuff that I play Multiplayer)
Playing (Where I put games I want to play now)
Pocop (Co-op games I play with friends. Called Pocop to get it at the bottom of the list and because it is fun to say.)
Games (I try to keep this completely empty so I notice when something new pops up, like the Marvel Heroes open beta this weekend that I just noticed.)

990 Steam games, and this system has been working perfectly. If I were to change/add one thing, it would be breaking down my backlog by genre, (ie Backlog - TBS, Backlog - RTS, Backlog - FPS), but I don't see that happening anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

mine is basically the same, except I have my backlog broken into three categories to help find priority titles, and my playing is broken into 4 categories to show progress (just started, half way, etc.).

I remember looking for a utility a while back that was quicker to use to switch categories, but it didn't work for me, so I don't have links for it. Might not be a bad idea to search for it.

[quote name='Draekon']This is why I won't even consider categorizing mine. It would be a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

Small subsets like "Now Playing" and "Completed" are simple enough to implement.

But alphabet or genre, where every game you own needs a category?

fuck that.

[quote name='Eldredpe']But alphabet ... where every game you own needs a category?[/QUOTE]
You only own 26 games, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet?

[quote name='Idiotekque']You only own 26 games, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet?[/QUOTE]

No, but every game I own I'll need to go into the categories menu and assign a category.

I said each game needs a category. Not each game needs a unique category.

[quote name='Blade']You just used a hash tag on a forum to express distaste in hipster discussion.

tumblr_mhz16aefxM1qmruv6o1_250.gif
[/QUOTE]

Whatever, man. I was hating hipsters before it was cool. #NoRegrets #Hashtag

I've never legitamitely used hashtags, Twitter or Tumblr in my entire life.

[quote name='Idiotekque']
yE4oJAR.png
[/QUOTE]

Nice!

I got most of mine set either by Publisher; and/or Developer; and/or Series.
And at the bottom for my bottom category, are all my Non-Steam titles.

[/QUOTE]

All I hope for is D3 PC to have "Offline SP" mode. ;)

[quote name='Idiotekque']
yE4oJAR.png
[/QUOTE]

This looks pretty good, and I will probably break it down like this once I start getting more games. Right now I've rather broad categories (shooter, adventure, arcade etc.), but that is going to get somewhat pointless once I start filling them up. A problem I have is not knowing what to categorize some games, as I've played less than half of the games I have. Steam genre ratings aren't much help either for the most part. Getting all my categories deleted though is what has really been bugging me. Not sure why it does it sometimes, so I need to take Ashe's advice and backup whatever file it is.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Small subsets like "Now Playing" and "Completed" are simple enough to implement.

But alphabet or genre, where every game you own needs a category?

fuck that.[/QUOTE]

I can understand where you're coming from - sort of - but the thought of you all having non-alphabetized Steam lists still makes me feel itchy under my skin and keeps me up at night.

Some call it OCD; I call it the only thing between us and total anarchy.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Just make sure you exit Steam before turning off your computer. I've never had a category problem doing that.[/QUOTE]

sometimes Steam just completely crashes for me. Not sure why (maybe cause I'm in the beta, but otherwise it doesn't work right on linux), so I've just started restarting steam every time I do a major recategorizing, which is a bit annoying buy better than potentially losing it all. I expect I wouldn't have as much trouble if I didn't use it on multiple PCs as well, but for now it's good enough.

With the CAG community, if your largest category isn't "Indie Bundle trash", you are only lying to yourself, which isn't healthy at all.

I currently have zero categories beyond the basic library. I should just make them "Yet to play/Active", "Beaten/Good" and "Ass". I don't need to go much deeper than that.

...I got as far as looking at my library, realizing I don't even know HOW to make a category and then not caring any longer.

[quote name='shrinerr']With the CAG community, if your largest category isn't "Indie Bundle trash", you are only lying to yourself, which isn't healthy at all.[/QUOTE]

The largest category for ANY CAG member should be "BACKLOG." :p

[quote name='Blade']

A hipster is an elitist outlier who intentionally dresses to stand out and is condescending when approached. Someone who wears a collared polo over a different-colored collared henley, mustard skinny jeans, and sandals with socks even in the wintertime is only trying to gain attention, nothing more. It's just a fashion trend, which makes it even more deplorable because fashion serves no practical use in society and is completely irrelevant.
[/QUOTE]

I define "nerd" as being someone who has an irrational interest in something that would be considered niche, or someone who finds joy in tedious work (either as a profession, hobby, or for school) with technology.

Maybe that's just me, but as for calling someone who uses F***book all day a nerd... that's a pretty big stretch. =P

[quote name='Idiotekque']I would probably classify as a redneck douchebag hipster.[/QUOTE]

And that's why you live in Hawaii.

Just kidding. ;)

Steam game categories? People actually have a "finished" category?

[quote name='MysterD']The largest category for ANY CAG member should be "BACKLOG." :p[/QUOTE]
I assume that's everyone's main library.

#SteamSale #YOLO #BacklogSwag

[quote name='LazyTriangle']the title of this thread hasn't changed in a while and it has been bothering me, can one of you guys please change it[/QUOTE]

Only EastX can change it, I believe. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back