The Steam Deal Thread V7 - The soda wars have ended, but the deals rage on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V7! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Since the V6 thread, we've decided to leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Summer sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 5/20

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there ever any clarification on what exactly makes up your Steam Level ?

Also... its odd what you can learn from these types of things. For instance, out of the 1000+ purchases I have made through Steam, I apparently never bought any of the Half Life games. Just seems odd......

I don't think I will ever get the DOTA cards though. I am truly horrible at that game for some reason and all I ever do is get yelled out when I play.

I "crafted" my 8 HL2 cards and got a stupid emoticon, a wallpaper, and a 33% off Chivalry. Now I can go back and collection all 8 cards again to get more experience points and more amazing rewards.....

This shows, yet again, the ingenious methodologies that Valve employs. Many will become obsessed with constantly leveling up and acquiring multiple sets of cards past the initial 4 "free" card drops you get. Most will turn to the marketplace and buy cards for a buck or so a pop. Every card sale nets Valve a commission. Like TF2 hats, a whole new market has been created from absolutely nothing driven by something as trivial as aesthetics. This also creates more exposure to the Steam marketplace and can set the stage for future DOTA, etc. economies.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']I "crafted" my 8 HL2 cards and got a stupid emoticon, a wallpaper, and a 33% off Chivalry. Now I can go back and collection all 8 cards again to get more experience points and more amazing rewards.....

This shows, yet again, the ingenious methodologies that Valve employs. Many will become obsessed with constantly leveling up and acquiring multiple sets of cards past the initial 4 "free" card drops you get. Most will turn to the marketplace and buy cards for a buck or so a pop. Every card sale nets Valve a commission. Like TF2 hats, a whole new market has been created from absolutely nothing driven by something as trivial as aesthetics. This also creates more exposure to the Steam marketplace and can set the stage for future DOTA, etc. economies.[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad that I don't have the collection instinct that so many seem to. I'm going to keep getting all of the card drops in games that I have, sell them for whatever the market wants at that time, and have a few bucks to buy stuff during the summer sale.

Not to distract you all from playing with your little made-up cards 'n' all but here's a nice bundle of e-books for those interested in video game history (in case you want to see what video games were like before Steam):

http://storybundle.com/

I particularly want the Jordan Mechner books & 250 Indie Games You Must Play but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $10 to get the bonuses...

[quote name='louiedog']I'm so glad that I don't have the collection instinct that so many seem to. I'm going to keep getting all of the card drops in games that I have, sell them for whatever the market wants at that time, and have a few bucks to buy stuff during the summer sale.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm doing. Unless I get some amazing cards, I'll just sell them off.. I have a feeling most of the common cards will drop to dirt cheap prices after more invites are sent out. Prices were already falling pretty fast for some cards after the last 50k got sent out.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']I wonder what the market rate for "foil" cards will level off as... they were going anywhere from $50-$200 as of last night.[/QUOTE]

Most are under that now with many in the $20-$30 range. DOTA items seem the most valuable, maybe due to a combination of the players already being heavy market users and many of them not having paid for items in game to get drops.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']I wonder what the market rate for "foil" cards will level off as... they were going anywhere from $50-$200 as of last night.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Well, played TF2 a couple hours and got 3 cards: Soldier, Pyro, and Heavy.

I didn't think it was possible for Steam to run my life any more than it already did. God help us.

Hmm... I had Don't Starve open, and I'm leaving it on the pause menu in game, but I have played it a little bit off and on while browsing the forums and I feel like the cards came through while I was actually playing. It's hard to tell...

So once you get 4 cards from idling, is that it?

[quote name='Idiotekque']Hmm... I had Don't Starve open, and I'm leaving it on the pause menu in game, but I have played it a little bit off and on while browsing the forums and I feel like the cards came through while I was actually playing. It's hard to tell...

So once you get 4 cards from idling, is that it?[/QUOTE]

I actually happened to be playing Don't Starve this week anyway so I was playing when I got 3 cards, but I definitely just opened and let it idle for the 4th. I didn't play any of my other games and have gotten cards just fine at the title screen.

I've gotten all the cards I possibly can at this point, from HL2, TF2, Portal 2, and CS:GO. Not once did I get any duplicates so I'll likely have to buy the others since I don't really have anything to trade.

[quote name='nastyislegend']Would be very pleased to receive an invite from one of my fine fellow CAGer's :D.[/QUOTE]

You won't get one from me simply because you used the term 'CAGer'.

Alright, time to give some invites.

First one goes to whoever PM or quotes me the answer to this riddle:

There are 10 two-seater cars attached to the fair's Ferris wheel. The Ferris wheel turns so that one car rotates through the exit platform every minute.

The wheel began operation at 10 in the morning and shut down 30 minutes later. What's the maximum number of people that could have taken a ride on the wheel in that time period?

Second, for telling me what this is from: *EDIT: Gone to a fellow White Stripes fan;)*
fellinlovewithagirlvide.jpg

Don't be a monkey and use google, you know you'll feel bad later:cry:

Third one I was hoping to trade for a copy of 10000000 or Magicka (or really any game I don't have just about), but seeing as the market value is now a whopping $0.15, that quickly became a pipe dream. Still, figured I'd throw it out there just in case any CAG was feeling generous;) Will give it away in a few hours if there are still people without invites.

So yeah, that's about it from me. Question: what's the cheapest item I can buy in TF2 in order to get cards?

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you craft your cards or trade them and whatnot, are you able to get more drops? Or once you get your allotted amount of drops, you're done forever?

[quote name='Tsel']So if you craft your cards or trade them and whatnot, are you able to get more drops? Or once you get your allotted amount of drops, you're done forever?[/QUOTE]

Also wondering this. I've seen people that have crafted 5+ sets of cards already and I'm wondering if they just bought them all or what...

I also noticed the infamous Steam rating is no longer mentioned on anywhere on the new profiles. Unless I'm just missing it.

[quote name='Tsel']I also noticed the infamous Steam rating is no longer mentioned on anywhere on the new profiles. Unless I'm just missing it.[/QUOTE]

I thought Steam level was pretty much a replacement for Steam rating anyway.

Um anyone actually want to play Portal 2 coop with me? Note: I have a whiny baby so... I have to leave for 10 minutes at a time randomly to wipe his stupid meat-sack ass.

[quote name='spoderman']I thought Steam level was pretty much a replacement for Steam rating anyway.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Your Steam level is static and never goes down whereas your rating was dependent on how many hours you put into games on a two-week basis.

[quote name='Tsel']So if you craft your cards or trade them and whatnot, are you able to get more drops? Or once you get your allotted amount of drops, you're done forever?[/QUOTE]

I wondered this, but considering I got 2 copies of Demo Man in a row, I'm guessing you just keep getting cards. I'm guessing there is a weekly limit per game per week much like TF2 weapons.

[quote name='Izod517']I wondered this, but considering I got 2 copies of Demo Man in a row, I'm guessing you just keep getting cards. I'm guessing there is a weekly limit per game per week much like TF2 weapons.[/QUOTE]

According to this there's a limit and we can't get anymore after that :/

Oh and I have three invites if anyone wants. Add me
http://steamcommunity.com/id/AloXX/

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']If we can't get Coconut Queen trading cards, I am going to just die.[/QUOTE]

I'll trade you my extra Coconut Queen trading cards for the Bad Rats cards I'm missing. ;)

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']If we can't get Coconut Queen trading cards, I am going to just die.[/QUOTE]

I'll pay you $200 for a Coconut Queen foil card ;)

[quote name='jshackles']I'll trade you my extra Coconut Queen trading cards for the Bad Rats cards I'm missing. ;)[/QUOTE]

Deal! All those hours in Bad Rats were worth it!

[quote name='spoderman']I'll pay you $200 for a Coconut Queen foil card ;)[/QUOTE]

Never! I will die with it!

[quote name='Izod517']Well now thats some shit right there... Maybe the prices will go back up considering that. That's kind of crazy.[/QUOTE]

Oh they updated the FAQ

For TF2/DOTA you can get 1 card per $9 spent

I know there are at least two people selling BS:I for $20 in the trading thread since I'm one of them; I can't imagine Amazon will beat that but we can only wait and see.

Eh, TF2 and Dota 2 cards should never go up. All you have to do is make a new Steam profile, buy a 3 cent item, get cards.

Then again, would you HAVE to spend $5 on Steam wallet to do that? Or is there a quick in game items you could sell for 3 cents? Still, $5 is cheaper than $9.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh, TF2 and Dota 2 cards should never go up. All you have to do is make a new Steam profile, buy a 3 cent item, get cards.

Then again, would you HAVE to spend $5 on Steam wallet to do that? Or is there a quick in game items you could sell for 3 cents? Still, $5 is cheaper than $9.[/QUOTE]

According to the new FAQ, you can only get drops for DOTA if you purchased items before yesterday. For TF2 - prior to the F2P update. Otherwise, it seems, you have to pay $9 per drop. Am I missing something?

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']According to the new FAQ, you can only get drops for DOTA if you purchased items before yesterday. For TF2 - prior to the F2P update. Otherwise, it seems, you have to pay $9 per drop. Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
Hm, that may explain why I had Dota 2 idling for an hour or so after buying a 3 cent marketplace item and I didn't get anything. I sat around for hours trying to get the 4th card in Don't Starve as well... nothing.

Well, off to Portal 2.

Nine dollars for an additional trading card that's worth absolutely nothing?

Are they trying to kill all the goodwill they've built up over the past few years?

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']Nine dollars for an additional trading card that's worth absolutely nothing?

Are they trying to kill all the goodwill they've built up over the past few years?[/QUOTE]

Well, $9 for hats you were going to buy anyway.

The card is a free bonus.

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']Nine dollars for an additional trading card that's worth absolutely nothing?

Are they trying to kill all the goodwill they've built up over the past few years?[/QUOTE]
Hat Fortress 2 has been a moneygrab ever since it went F2P. Hats galore, the store, crates, etc. These cards are just extra fuel for Hat Fortress 2. I have a hardcore friend who plays it and well he tells me Bills hat from LFD 2 fetches a premium if you sell it :lol:. Hat Fortress 2 players are fucking crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back