The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Portal 2 Announced weeee

"Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Left 4 Dead, Counter-Strike and Half-Life) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Portal 2 for shipment this coming holiday season.

Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Portal, which won 70 industry achievement awards.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com "

[quote name='KaOTiK']Portal 2 Announced weeee

"Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Left 4 Dead, Counter-Strike and Half-Life) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Portal 2 for shipment this coming holiday season.

Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Portal, which won 70 industry achievement awards.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com "[/QUOTE]

Yeah just saw that. I am very excited for this. Portal is what introduced me to Valve. :cool:

[quote name='KaOTiK']Portal 2 Announced weeee

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com "[/QUOTE]

What's with all the underlines?

Portal 2 as a stand alone full retail release holiday season... Holiday sale, anyone?

[quote name='kilm']What's with all the underlines?[/QUOTE]

The original news item has the same underlines. It's all part of the ARG/viral marketing.

[quote name='foltzie']Its a secret to everybody.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not. It anagrams out to drattman h0nee. That probably means nothing to people not following the ARG so I'll break it down. There's a BBS that requires a login and password which has been spitting out ASCII concept art and hints for this ARG. DRattman is the new login, h0nee is the password (People were using backup/backup before) Doug Rattman (Better known as the Ratman, the guy who wrote stuff on the walls in the original game) worked at Aperture Science, so that was his login. And so the mystery continues.

I personally think the ARG and announcements won't stop there. There seems to be a lot of tie ins between Portal and the Half-Life universe that won't be wrapped up by splitting the games apart. I expect to see HL2:Ep3 coming out at the same time as Portal 2, possibly making some kind of bundle similar to the OB.

Buy Toki Tori, it is 50% off till tomorrow, makes me said it isn't getting the sales it should, such an awesome puzzle game !

I got the new U.I. about a week ago and love it. It was a little weird to get used to at first but it's definitely an improvement and it's not even like the old UI was clunky.

I'm thinkin about maybe buying Fallout 3 if there's a sale or just for the hell of it. I really like Borderlands and saw friends play Fallout 3. Think I'd enjoy it?

[quote name='dragonsho']I got the new U.I. about a week ago and love it. It was a little weird to get used to at first but it's definitely an improvement and it's not even like the old UI was clunky.

I'm thinkin about maybe buying Fallout 3 if there's a sale or just for the hell of it. I really like Borderlands and saw friends play Fallout 3. Think I'd enjoy it?[/QUOTE]

I'd wait for FO3 GOTY to go on sale, it is time for it to too i'd say.

Boardlands is an FPS with some rpg elements sprinkled on it (I loved the game as well). FO3 is an RPG with FPS sprinkled on it. Personally I've found FO3 to be rather average overall, it really was Oblivion with guns (I'll never forget playing it at E3 backstage and my coworker looked over and said to me quietly "we could have taken a few people from our team and made a gun mod for oblivion and it would play better then this", I wanted to cry laughing cause it is true.

Don't get me totally wrong though, it is a decent game, just isn't omg like so maybe others seem to think it is, well IMO of course (due note, I was/am a big fan of FO1 and 2 so 3 really fell on its face in carryin the legacy on to me).

All that being said, whenever Steam puts the GOTY edition up for a sale, I'll buy it (played a friends copy partially only).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Er, thanks, but this has what to do with Steam, exactly?[/QUOTE]

I would call this thread basically a general interest PC gaming topic. At least, that's more or less what it's become.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Er, thanks, but this has what to do with Steam, exactly?[/QUOTE]

I remember some discussion about Mass Effect 2 being available on Steam and that it was too expensive, so I put it up here in case anyone was still interested in it.

Yes, I wish it was that price on Steam; I'd buy it!

I think his posting was relevant. And I think our goofy talk about 8-bit console games and things like that is relevant. However, I also think this will always be the Steam thread; that's the primary focus. It's just that sometimes where there aren't amazing Steam deals going on, we either don't post for a while, or we drift off into reverie about free games, retro games, and the like. And I think that's just fine. We have not forgotten our primary purpose here, to dissect Steam deals. :)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']SquareEnix/Eidos Week going on now

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/3098[/QUOTE]

I've always wanted to play Deus Ex, but I still haven't even installed Indigo Prophecy, Indiana Jones (FoA and LC), Mass Effect, KOTOR, et cetera from the holiday sale, so I'm going to show a little restraint today and pass for now.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I've always wanted to play Deus Ex, but I still haven't even installed Indigo Prophecy, Indiana Jones (FoA and LC), Mass Effect, KOTOR, et cetera from the holiday sale, so I'm going to show a little restraint today and pass for now.[/QUOTE]

Indigo Prophecy is an excellent game.

I fell in love with that company back in the day when they first released 'Omikron: The Nomad Soul.' That game did not have great reviews but I LOVED playing it. The gameplay mechanics, the storyline and the depth of the characters was unheard of back when it was released.

There are some nice easter eggs in Indigo based on Omikron.

I want the Thief games, particularly new versions of the first two. Thanks.

A deal on the only one Steam has would be cool too tho.

None of today's deals seem appealing, tho I'd go for Deus Ex if I didn't already have it.

Sweet! Steam is finally coming to Macs along with a handful of games. Portal 2 is same day for all and the best news...

Steam Play- You bought it on PC, you can download and play it on your Mac w/o additional charge. Thanks you Valve!

You're happy about an additional charge? Unless that's a typo and you mean "no additional charge," I think it's kind of a rip-off, and I'm not even a Mac user. And if I ever get on someone's Mac and want to download Steam and a few of the games I already own, and I have to pay extra to get the Mac version, I'll go right up to Valve headquarters and drop my pants on the receptionist's desk and take a big, stinky dook, and the stench of the duke will communicate this phrase: "Paying extra for a Mac version of a game I already own is shittier than my shit."

Also, I like your avatar. :) Buddy Holly is wonderful.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan'] I'll go right up to Valve headquarters and drop my pants on the receptionist's desk and take a big, stinky dook, and the stench of the duke will communicate this phrase: "Paying extra for a Mac version of a game I already own is shittier than my shit."[/QUOTE]

That's quite a talented GI tract you've got there. You should have a TV show.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']You're happy about an additional charge? Unless that's a typo and you mean "no additional charge," I think it's kind of a rip-off, and I'm not even a Mac user. And if I ever get on someone's Mac and want to download Steam and a few of the games I already own, and I have to pay extra to get the Mac version, I'll go right up to Valve headquarters and drop my pants on the receptionist's desk and take a big, stinky dook, and the stench of the duke will communicate this phrase: "Paying extra for a Mac version of a game I already own is shittier than my shit."

Also, I like your avatar. :) Buddy Holly is wonderful.[/QUOTE]

I was so excited it WAS a typo. This is NO additional charge.

I dunno, I doubt they would provide the actual game for no extra charge. This has been a long time in the works and if they didn't charge I'm sure they'd be at a huge loss. If I only had to pay 10 bucks to have the whole orange box ported over, or only 5 per game I wouldn't mind at all (Except I don't have a mac so this is a hypothetical situation)

Hope we see some good stuff on sale.

I think I said this before, but I think Indigo Prophecy started out fantastic, and turned into a rushed mess. Also, the controls are a pain, and the "Simon" bits get annoying if you're not using a dual-analog type controller. I still have Omikron lying around here somewhere; it was too beefy for my box when it came out and I never revisited it. Maybe...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']"Paying extra for a Mac version of a game I already own is shittier than my shit."[/QUOTE]

While I think it's great that people are getting cross-platform play for free (not that I care, because I don't have a Mac and also fuck Mac), I really don't get the line of thought you're putting forth here.

Should owners of a PS3 version of a game get the 360 version for free, too?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I dunno, I doubt they would provide the actual game for no extra charge.[/QUOTE]

Middle of the fourth paragraph:
we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Well there they go again, blowing my mind. Valve is everything that is right in the world.[/QUOTE]
Do note, of course, that they can only promise that for their own games (Portal 2, L4D, TF2, etc), for now. It'll be up to the third-party publishers whether or not they want to offer the same thing (in cases where they even have Mac versions available at all, which are rare, of course). Valve's Portal 2 and TF2 are givens, but there is no guarantee this'll also happen with, for instance, EA's Dragon Age.

[quote name='halfbent']Is it just me, or did someone really fubar the math here:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/296/

4.99+4.99=11.98 sale price?
9.99+9.99=29.99 regular price?[/QUOTE]

They accidentally swapped the prices for the Hitman and Deus Ex bundles; DX is supposed to be $8, and Hitman is supposed to be $12. Anyone who wants the Hitman collection should hurry up and buy it immediately, before they fix the prices, and anyone who wants the DX bundle should wait.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Do note, of course, that they can only promise that for their own games (Portal 2, L4D, TF2, etc), for now. It'll be up to the third-party publishers whether or not they want to offer the same thing (in cases where they even have Mac versions available at all, which are rare, of course). Valve's Portal 2 and TF2 are givens, but there is no guarantee this'll also happen with, for instance, EA's Dragon Age.[/QuOTE]

They also say in the 4th paragraph "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs..." Does that mean that any Steamworks game that has a mac version users also get for free? Unless I'm reading that completely wrong...

In other news, BF:BC2 now has a 4-pack!

Link

Super excited about that, because when it goes on sale, it'll be that much cheaper. If I of course don't cave before that. God I want that game.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']They also say in the 4th paragraph "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs..." Does that mean that any Steamworks game that has a mac version users also get for free? Unless I'm reading that completely wrong...[/quote]

You're reading it wrong. Again, in the case of third-party games, that's going to be up to the publishers.

The "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs" bit just means that the same Steamworks functions (achievements, cloud, matchmaking, etc) will all also be available for developers to use in their Mac implementations, if they so choose.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I miss the beta UI. It was a lot nicer looking. :/[/QUOTE]

Er, you mean the original UI? Because the "beta UI" is the new one...

[quote name='eastx']The uncensored version (with the same level of adult content as Heavy Rain) is even better. It's a shame the Steam version is edited, whereas some other digital distributors offer the proper version.[/QUOTE]

Eh... saving a good chunk of change in exchange for cutting adult content of an insignificant level is fine with me. Plus, youtube makes up for it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You're reading it wrong. Again, in the case of third-party games, that's going to be up to the publishers.

The "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs" bit just means that the same Steamworks functions (achievements, cloud, matchmaking, etc) will all also be available for developers to use in their Mac implementations, if they so choose.[/QUOTE]

Ok yeah, I thought that sounded a little bit too good to be true. Hopefully some publishers will jump on board with what Valve is doing and offer the Mac versions for free as well (although I doubt it).

[quote name='eastx']The uncensored version (with the same level of adult content as Heavy Rain) is even better. It's a shame the Steam version is edited, whereas some other digital distributors offer the proper version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I imported my PC version from the UK (AKA Fahrenheit). It's also the first game in which I had to use a PS2 adapter. I'm all about the mouse/keyboard but not for that game.

Yes. I had the UK version. I had no idea it was edited on STEAM. That's nonsense.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']In other news, BF:BC2 now has a 4-pack!

Link

Super excited about that, because when it goes on sale, it'll be that much cheaper. If I of course don't cave before that. God I want that game.[/QUOTE]
Did anyone actually get in on that? I didn't see it until it was taken down for whatever reason. Was definitely going to pick it up.

The deal today from SE/E sucks, way to high in price. I wouldn't have minded the Battlestations games but not for the amount they want for them, bah.

RUSE sucks, played first match against the AI to get a feel of the game then played online. What a turd.

It was way to simple, I can see why it is a console release as well.

Your units AI is bad, my tanks would keep getting fired on by a "unidentified" enemy and the enemy was well with in my tanks guns range and they would just sit there till they started catching on fire and were like oh shit captain lets get out of here. I had to manually tell them to attack the damn things.

The announcer oh god, I wanted to kill that guy after the 3rd time he said a new RUSE is available, I still don't know wtf a RUSE is either.

I used some basic rts strats after fooling around and started cleaning house with some artillery and tanks.

While I was playing, I had to force myself to keep playing cause it just didn't pull me in, I just didn't care nor or have any desire to keep playing the game.

Just as well anyways since it is a Ubisoft game and I wasn't purchasing it anyways with the DRM.

I don't check steam for a day, and they have dues ex for sale?! man, ah well, I'm sure they'll offer it again...not to mention I already have a bajillion backlog games already....

I already have battlestations midway on xbox360, so was somewhat eyeballing battlestations pacific until I realized it was $17 on sale...not a horrible price, but not a super deal either. I hope they offer it again down the line for cheaper, battlestation games are pretty fun. I could go completely w/o order of war--haven't tried demo, but I got the general sense it was a mediocre wwII RTS with nice graphics...already have company of heroes....

Today's deal kinda sucks, everything in there has been cheaper. Still holding out for JC or Gyromancer at 2.50 but I can guarantee you they'll stick with 66% off and make em $5 which is not my selling point.

Gyromancer is also what im waiting for. I might grab it at $5.00 but will probally wait for the $2.50ish spot too.

Someone once said the developers not Valve set the price of these sales....if thats true I wouldnt hold my breath for many big sales since Square is horrible with pricing.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Someone once said the developers not Valve set the price of these sales....if thats true I wouldnt hold my breath for many big sales since Square is horrible with pricing.[/QUOTE]

That "someone" would be wrong.

The only time a developer could set prices if when they are also the publisher, ie indie games or Valve on their own products.

bread's done
Back