Updated Full Review. TRU breaks street date. Just bought Xbox Live Vision Camera

I got a bunch of crazy offers for the extra vision camera, but instead of being greedy I'm offering it to the CAG who's had the best rep, ie. longest time here and most trades. Like I said, I don't want to screw anyone, so offering me a $70 game + $20 isn't necessary. I just went with what in my opinion was the best CAG to give it to. I sent a PM to this person already.

[quote name='swetooth9']if you could snag me one too (if they have any), i can paypal you or trade you or trade+money or gift cards :lol:

i would appreciate it[/quote]
The only bad thing is that I'm gonna be bumming some money from my sister in order to buy if they still have them. The dude who bought my hard drive from ebay hasn't paid yet. I'll see what I can do otherwise though.

I'm just not feeling the whole camera deal. It's not like Xbox Live is over flowing with hot chicks or something. Do you really want live streaming video of 20 year old dudes in their boxers playing Uno?

[quote name='jkircos']If anyone wants to trade an UNO code for Bankshot Billards code PM me.[/QUOTE]
I'll take it.

[quote name='kjauburn']One interesting or disturbing item to note is you can vibrate the other individual's controller with the trigger buttons. Use your imagination...[/quote]:rofl:

Nice review, and you described the camera in better detail than the gamespot preview. Thanks for all the info you've been giving.

If they're is any camera's still available from anyone or if they could obtain one. I will trade the following(might be grouped pm me)
Prey Collector's Edition
Quake 4
Fight Night Round 3
Farcry Instincts Predator
amped 3
Plus I will pay the shipping, and whatever you request. I can overnight to you without a problem because I work for DHL a delivery company.

[quote name='doubledown']Anyone find any in MICHIGAN yet? Just curious....[/QUOTE]
I was going by the Pontiac one today and checked, nothing there.

I'd probably buy one if I found it, but I'm not itching to get it or anything. I don't see the point. I mostly just want it for custom gamerpics, and there's no guarantee I'll be able to get one that looks as good as I want.

[quote name='KaneRobot']1. Props to the community for not firing this off to all the news sites...as soon as it's "news" they'll probably pull them off the shelves.[/quote]

Fixed.

I am withdrawing my request for a camera - after reading the review I see it's something I can easily go without until it's official launch date (especially because Totem Ball isn't out yet).

Pay $40 so I can let other people see me on XBL? I'll pass. The games MS has lined up for the thing still look gimmicky... it'll take a lot more than that to make it worthwhile.

[quote name='Cryptosporidium-399']I'm just not feeling the whole camera deal. It's not like Xbox Live is over flowing with hot chicks or something. Do you really want live streaming video of 20 year old dudes in their boxers playing Uno?[/QUOTE]

Yea, I already saw this in Uno, and it makes me want to find a way to disable the camera forever.

[quote name='centracore']I am withdrawing my request for a camera - after reading the review I see it's something I can easily go without until it's official launch date (especially because Totem Ball isn't out yet).[/QUOTE]

Did someone say Tatum Bell of the Denver Broncos?

It's really annoying how they force bundle a communicator (who the fuck doesn't have a headset?) and Uno on you. I wish they offered one that was 10 bucks less and just came with the camera itself.

Since it looks like nobody read the Xbox Live Arcade article in the September 2006 issue of Official Xbox Magazine, I will point it out here.

"When the camera launches on September 19, Totem Ball will be available as a free download on Arcade."

[quote name='M1C13']did CheapyD get his?[/quote]

Yes, the last extra one I had is going to CheapyD. I am sure he will have a full review in a upcoming cagcast for anyone waiting for a second opinion...

[quote name='KaneRobot']It's really annoying how they force bundle a communicator (who the fuck doesn't have a headset?) and Uno on you. I wish they offered one that was 10 bucks less and just came with the camera itself.[/quote]

I know a lot of people who have busted headsets (myself included), so I'm not too upset about it.

Big ups to kjauburn for posting this great review and for hooking me up with a camera!

[quote name='KaneRobot']It's really annoying how they force bundle a communicator (who the fuck doesn't have a headset?) and Uno on you. I wish they offered one that was 10 bucks less and just came with the camera itself.[/QUOTE]
well actually its a good deal

Headset: $19.99
1 month XBL: $7.99
Uno (400 Points): $5.00
------------------------------
$32.98

So that makes the camera $7.02.

First XBL Vision camera I see besides mine had this blonde chick and her bf on the camera, and surprisingly she looked good. Score! :) I feel sorta weird still about playing and having everyone look at me during Uno, but it's a lot of fun.

Cheapy and shipwreck (and whoever else ends up with one), we definitely have to get some Uno or Poker games goin soon with the Vision sets on!

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']First XBL Vision camera I see besides mine had this blonde chick and her bf on the camera, and surprisingly she looked good. Score! :) I feel sorta weird still about playing and having everyone look at me during Uno, but it's a lot of fun.

Cheapy and shipwreck (and whoever else ends up with one), we definitely have to get some Uno or Poker games goin soon with the Vision sets on![/QUOTE]
Cheapy and shipwreck (and whoever else ends up with one) = me

[quote name='Roufuss']Anyone? This is the real story here, if these aren't supposed to be sold for a month why does TRU have them in stock at all? Does this mean other companies also have them? Can we expect another Target fuck up like the DS Lite?

I've heard of people having games a few days early (Madden) but never a street dated accessory a month ahead of time.[/quote]

I'm listening Roufuss. It cannot believe any retailer would provide free warehouse space to anyone for a full month. I dare say you'll see this everywhere by the end of the week.

That said, I'll be checking my local TRU on my lunch break tomorrow. ;)

[quote name='M1C13']Cheapy and shipwreck (and whoever else ends up with one) = me[/quote] Just saw your friend request and accepted

Also, I completely agree with the OP's review. For a $40 webcam, this thing rules. Prepare to have a lot of fun with it, hopefully see pretty girls (as I posted earlier, it DOES happen :lol: ), and also clear out about 20 spots on your friends list because people will think you are God with a webcam.

EDIT: I talked to a fellow Vision owner who said that the TRU employee he talked to during his purchase said Microsoft did not give any indication to them whatsoever to NOT sell the Vision set before a certain date. Dunno the reliability of his statement, but I thought it was interesting.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Just saw your friend request and accepted

Also, I completely agree with the OP's review. For a $40 webcam, this thing rules. Prepare to have a lot of fun with it, hopefully see pretty girls (as I posted earlier, it DOES happen :lol: ), and also clear out about 20 spots on your friends list because people will think you are God with a webcam.

EDIT: I talked to a fellow Vision owner who said that the TRU employee he talked to during his purchase said Microsoft did not give any indication to them whatsoever to NOT sell the Vision set before a certain date. Dunno the reliability of his statement, but I thought it was interesting.[/QUOTE]
well, I would say it is microsofts fault, I mean they are just asking for it to be sold early if they send a product out a month early.

Wow these things keep going up on ebay theirs like 10-15 now. I wouldn't be supried if they just release it early.

[quote name='KaneRobot']It's really annoying how they force bundle a communicator (who the fuck doesn't have a headset?) and Uno on you. I wish they offered one that was 10 bucks less and just came with the camera itself.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of people don't have headsets, plus they get broken.

Note that a month of Xbox Live Gold is also included. Obviously they expect this to get a lot of people to try out Gold for te first time. The headsets are very low cost, so giving someone a spare to make sure they have one is no big loss, especially if they stay with XBL Gold after the month is up.

Is it just me or do only Southern states have the "crooked TRUs" who are selling these cameras early? Everyone I have seen or talked to got theirs in FL, or GA, or here in TN.

[quote name='M1C13']well actually its a good deal

Headset: $19.99
1 month XBL: $7.99
Uno (400 Points): $5.00
------------------------------
$32.98

So that makes the camera $7.02.[/QUOTE]
....how is making me buy stuff I don't need or want a good deal?

Overcharge me for the camera and make it 25 bucks, they can keep all that other crap.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']EDIT: I talked to a fellow Vision owner who said that the TRU employee he talked to during his purchase said Microsoft did not give any indication to them whatsoever to NOT sell the Vision set before a certain date. Dunno the reliability of his statement, but I thought it was interesting.[/QUOTE]
That sounds really weasel-ish, but he might have a point - it's not like when the 360 console came out MS just said "here you go" and that was that. Maybe they don't mind since it builds awareness for the product and gets some anticipation going. "SOME GUY PAID 100 BUCKS FOR A 360 CAMERA" is positive hype.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']I'm listening Roufuss. It cannot believe any retailer would provide free warehouse space to anyone for a full month. I dare say you'll see this everywhere by the end of the week.

That said, I'll be checking my local TRU on my lunch break tomorrow. ;)[/quote]

When I worked at a department store in the late 90s we used to get all kinds of stuff in a month before the street date. On rare occasions, something would slip out onto the floor before the street date and as soon as a manager saw it some one would get their ass chewed out. Sometimes the managers missed it and it would be the rep for the company that noticed it. Usually there would be a regiional rep for each big company in the stores each month checking out our displays of their stuff and seeing how stuff was selling. I believe they'd fine the store or pull product if you broke the street date. This was a big problem with VHS videos at the time, since back then rental videos came out about a month before the street date to sell them, so employees were always leaking copies of videos before their street date. This was when everything was still on VHS and video stores paid $100 a copy for rentals to get them a month before they went on sale to the public. Why the studios ever got rid of that cash cow, I have no idea. Maybe because DVDs have such a low retail that they're more affordable to the consumer than videos were, thus more people buy than rent these days.

Most stuff we only got a week in advance, but sometimes they'd give us stuff several weeks in advance, along with promo items and displays so we'd have time to set up in-store promos.

[quote name='Maklershed']I just dugg this thread ...

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Xbox_Live_Vision_Camera_Hands_on

EDIT: I should probably mention (for those of you that have never been to digg.com) that if you want to see this story/thread/site get a little publicity you should click on that link and hit the "digg it" button.[/quote]

Is that really a good idea? Shouldn't we just keep this to the forums and not let it get too much publicity?

[quote name='gizmogc']I plan on showing my stuff off when I get this. Im serious. The first CAGer I play against will see it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the camera has a zoom function high enough.

[quote name='Warlock TCK']Is that really a good idea? Shouldn't we just keep this to the forums and not let it get too much publicity?[/quote]

please, who looks at digg anyways...maybe 100 hits a day?

/sarcasm

If anybody has an extra UNO code, I'd gladly take it from you. (You can CML for anything of appropriate value.) I finally got Live setup here in the new apartment today!

[quote name='D4rkN1ght']i just hit golden and im not telling where cause im going back for more... all i can say is 10+ on ebay[/QUOTE]
the voice of a true fatwalleter.... sad

bread's done
Back