Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mykevermin']Man, I'm a huge FF fan, but I had no idea how piecemeal everything in "My Life as a King" is.

I'm not paying $15 for it, to find out that I can buy *release day* DLC for a grand total of $15 or so.

At that point, put that shit on a disc and sell it to me for $50. By the time they add all the DLC, it will easily be that much or more.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

Release day DLC? You could have just added it into the main game and made it all $15.

But this is Square Enix we're talking about, the same SE who charges $40 for EVERY NIntendo DS game regardless of name or quality.

3-4 hours? I watched a quick overview on Kotaku this morning and it looked neat but at such a small length... I'm not sure if I want to shell out 10 bucks for it. I'll be looking for more impressions through out the day before I make my final call tonight.

Thought Lost Winds was $5... ugh. It's hard for me to drop $10 on something with no demo that I don't even know if I'll like or not. $5 is ok, but when it swings into $10, it starts getting iffy.

Is there no VC games for today then?

[quote name='Strell']Can't they run the emulator and the game from it though? There's got to be some trickery they are doing that streams it well enough to make it possible.

I don't keep up with the modded scene because I don't have the time and don't know how to solder (which I need to learn how to do), but it seems like the buzz is that they run it entirely from the card. But again, I'd need someone with the pure experience to come in here and tell me what's what.

I guess, really, I don't buy the slow transfer speed as a problem so much as I see it as lazy programming, perhaps even as a deterrent from encouraging people to assume we could run stuff directly from the card. There's something suspicious about it to me.[/quote]

You don't need to solder anything to run the current homebrew stuff.

I also think that the transfer speed of Wii content to SD cards is determined by the type of card you have. If you have a SanDisk Ultra 2 card, for example, the transfer times are pretty quick. A run of the mill SD card is much slower.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']You don't need to solder anything to run the current homebrew stuff.

I also think that the transfer speed of Wii content to SD cards is determined by the type of card you have. If you have a SanDisk Ultra 2 card, for example, the transfer times are pretty quick. A run of the mill SD card is much slower.[/quote]

Yeah I think one problem with running from SD is that SD card read/write speeds are variable and you'd have to make sure it worked with the lowest common denominator.

I can say with 100% certainty though that the read/write bandwidth of the slowest SD card is more than enough to handle any of the VC classic games with the possible exception of the N64. Only with some WiiWare might there be some major trouble.

Turned on my Wii today (thank goodness no work), and popped right into the WiiWare section of the Shopping Channel and grabbed myself some games.

Picked up LostWinds, Pop, and Final Fantasty CC MLAAK.

LostWinds right now has my full attention. A beautiful game, with a great soundtrack (and great sound effects), and with some pretty cool gameplay elements. I love the whole wind concept, and all the things you can do with the wind. If it really is only 3-4 hours, I pray that there is some replayability, because I love this game. Buy it. Enough said.

Played Pop for a bit, and thought it was a nice, simple distraction. I'll try and get more time with it when I'm done with LostWinds.

Haven't tried Final Fantasy yet. I'm quite looking forward to it, but at the same time, I'm apprehensive about the whole concept. I will play it though... eventually. I'm even gonna go all in and spring for the add-on content. Haha...

I'm actually really impressed with the WiiWare launch. It was simple to get in, download, and start playing. The game selection seems to have a little bit of something for everyone, and its just been a great experience overall. I hope there are new, good games, every Monday.

I'm thinking about getting Defend Your Castle. I didn't care much for the web-version, but if this one is a little beefier (and nicer looking) then it might peak my interest. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Okay. Back to LostWinds.

[quote name='RynoZebz']3-4 hours? I watched a quick overview on Kotaku this morning and it looked neat but at such a small length... I'm not sure if I want to shell out 10 bucks for it. I'll be looking for more impressions through out the day before I make my final call tonight.[/quote]
How much would you pay for a 90-minute movie on DVD? By your logic, that should max out at about $1.88 new at retail, right? If it looks fun, you should get it.

[quote name='Strell']Just change the thread title to "buy Lost Winds."

Do it, slave![/quote]

Oh yes. Lost Winds is so, so, so good. Totally worth the money and a great start to the service. Its going to be short, but I don't care. Buy it--NOW!

Just played lost winds for like 10 minutes and it's pretty awesome. I'm sure I'll have fun with it. The graphics and sounds create a really nice environment.

I will be getting some Wiiware later (maybe tonight), once I hear some opinions on FF:CC and if the currently released DLC is important or not. Either way if I did want to get FF:CC and Lost Winds I found out I would have to delete over HALF (more close to 2/3) of my current VC games (like 12-13 games) to break even with around 0 blocks. Can I get a mighty fuck you Nintendo.

Just bought 1400 Wii Points worth of Final Fantasy CC MLAAK Downloadable Content. Got everything except the outfits. The add-ons sound like they add some substantial benefits to the overall game, but I haven't even played the game yet, so I don't know. I'll try it a little later...

Looking through the line-up of games, I'm leaning towards MLAAK. From everything I've seen and read, it seems to be a combination of Viva Pinata and Majesty (one of my favorite PC games). I'll probably pass on the DLC unless the game really rocks.

Interview with lead programmer Fumiaki Shiraishi and producer Toshihiro Tsuchida from Gamasutra RE: Square games not on the VC:

JP: You mentioned in your speech that you initially saw the Virtual Console as the main competition for WiiWare. To date, Square Enix hasn't really participated too much in the Virtual Console. I think you have a few games available for the system. Is that something you're looking more into, or something you've tried to do and Nintendo has been hands-off with it?

TT: We don't think the games and the IP that we have have lost value yet, so we haven't decided if releasing them on VC is the best idea.

JP: So you feel that releasing older games for the Virtual Console suggests that they're not as valuable anymore?

TT: It's a matter of the package -- which is downloading. You look at a game, and you have to decide whether it will be better to be sold in a retail store, or if it will be better for download. We're making that decision carefully for each of the games that we have. It comes down to the games that we think we could make a good remake of haven't been on VC yet.

Alternatively, you can read the interview as I saw it:

Gamasutra: I can haz fun games on my VC again plz?

Square: I want a blowjob. They don't have those in vending machines here in Japan, where Square is located, which is not America. They also don't have Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, or Mario RPG in vending machines. You know what I really want though? A blowjob. I know I could get my wife to do it, or any number of screaming fangirls, but really, I'd rather pay for it with an overpriced hooker. Otherwise I'm just not getting my money's worth, you know? I mean, I know you really don't know, but stay with me here - if it's cheap or free, is it really valuable? I also eat gold plated bananas. You can't get those in vending machines either.

See, the DS and PSP are like overpriced hookers, and we don't want to dimish the pay they can suck in by making it easy for you people who can't afford five thousand dollar punani.

I find it's easy to breakdown big interview questions into something involving blowjobs.

Lost Winds does look like a Wii port of Kirby DS, but it also looks pretty durn cool. I may get that, even if it's $10 (cringe).

So the verdict on FF:CC:MLAAK is basically that it's too expensive? I'm curious to know how it plays/how fun it is though. Looking forward to hack or some other CAG posting their impressions or a full blown review.

And did I read right that all these Wiiware titles are playable off the SD cards? I'm starting to run out of room myself and I figure I will still be getting VC titles in the future.

I sure hope Nintendo gets their external storage solution out soon, or they can forget about me getting any more stuff. I hate DL'ing and deleting and DL'ing over and over again. :p

so no VC games this week?

Tempted to pick up Lost Winds, esp after everyone going apeshit over it.

Scratch that, I only have 600 points, so Defend Your Castle it is.

I hate you lilboo. This is seriously important and if you don't see it like that, I'm gonna have to do all of this on my own... Must preserve history that nobody cares about. I hope somebody with the proper homebrew tools recorded these for later fun...

R.I.P most of these:

Brain Age 2 Demo - 5/07/08
Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
Crosswords DS-Crosswords Demo - 5/07/08
Disney Friends - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
Flash Focus Demo - 5/07/08
Jam Sessions - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
Ninja Gaiden® Dragon Sword - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08

Long live the new kings!

Brain Age Demo - 5/12/08
The Spiderwick Chronicles - 5/12/08
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - 5/12/08
Eco-Creatures: Save the Forest - 5/12/08
My Word Coach - 5/12/08
Iron Man ™ - 5/12/08

Alphabetized

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - 5/12/08
Brain Age 2 Demo - 5/07/08
Brain Age Demo - 5/12/08
Cooking Mama 2: Dinner with Friends - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
Crosswords DS-Crosswords Demo - 5/07/08
Disney Friends - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
Eco-Creatures: Save the Forest - 5/12/08
Flash Focus Demo - 5/07/08
Iron Man ™ - 5/12/08
Jam Sessions - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
My Word Coach - 5/12/08
Ninja Gaiden® Dragon Sword - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 - 5/07/08 - 5/12/08
The Spiderwick Chronicles - 5/12/08

[quote name='lilboo']
No one else bought TV Show King?
Sigh. I guess I will tonight :lol:[/quote]
I might get it tonight. Possibly Defend Your Castle too since no one here seems to have and I want to see how it is. And I'll definitely get Poop. I am way too excited for these.

I just tried out Lost Winds. I have to say it's a pretty decent platform game. It's actually nice that these WiiWare games will be using the wiimote and nunchuck for most of the games. I really wish there was a Wii harddrive though. It will be essential if they will continue on with sucessiful WiiWare titles.

[quote name='Plinko']Please post your thoughts after playing. I look forward to hearing them.[/QUOTE]

Well, I bought the game, started playing...and then realized that I'd missed lunch and three hours had gone by. :lol:

So far, the game's been pretty simple - as king, you decide what buildings the town needs, and make it happen. Houses give you tax money and adventurers, and you can build item shops and amenities for the adventurers.

The adventurers are what you'd normally be in a Final Fantasy game. You tell them what to do and reward them when they come back, but they're mostly on autopilot.

The game's been mellow so far - you build, you wander around to talk to your citizens, and you watch your town grow. It's not a high-octane Wii game, but it's still been a good experience so far.

As for the DLC...I haven't gotten far enough in the game to know if it's worth it yet (I can't assign job classes or create parties of adventurers yet), but I'll decide later on. Haven't bought anything yet, but the extra races are tempting and I'm probably going to bite on that.

I've seen a few graphical glitches here and there, but for the most part it's a pretty game given it's a downloadable title.

More thoughts later on. If anyone's got any questions, I'll try to answer them within the next day or so.

As for the recommendation...so far, I'm inclined to say yes. Admittedly, I'm predisposed to strategy games, but I'm enjoying this a lot.

If Lost Winds really is a 3-4 hour title, I've already spent three hours in the game and I haven't even uncovered all of the game mechanics yet. For $5 more, it seems like you'll get a lot more play time out of this title.

One more FF:CC update.

Looking at the DLC, it looks like a lot of it is intended for use later in the game - the sacred shrines dungeons, for instance, are all at level ~30, which is going to take a while to reach.

The three races dungeons are all level 8, and that's about where I am after my three hours of play.

I did buy those two packs; I realized I had more Wii points than I thought. Impressions coming once I actually get to that content.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']One more FF:CC update.

Looking at the DLC, it looks like a lot of it is intended for use later in the game - the sacred shrines dungeons, for instance, are all at level ~30, which is going to take a while to reach.

The three races dungeons are all level 8, and that's about where I am after my three hours of play.

I did buy those two packs; I realized I had more Wii points than I thought. Impressions coming once I actually get to that content.[/quote]

We should start a new thread on FF:CC:MLAAK!?

I love the info and glad that the tower is lvl 30 because I may wait to buy that.

I need to buy another card... darnit.

[quote name='xycury']We should start a new thread on FF:CC:MLAAK!?

I love the info and glad that the tower is lvl 30 because I may wait to buy that.

I need to buy another card... darnit.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I need more info on this game. I usually like any FF related. I might drop done some monies to pick this and Lost Winds up.

[quote name='yukine']You guys weren't joking, copying an N64 game over to an SD card takes forever.

It's unacceptable.[/quote]

Takes me between 4-5 minutes.

Alright, I made my first info-thread on MLAAK....

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4342352#post4342352

Any and all info should be dumped there if possible to make sure this thread doesn't get flooded by such posts.

Users: Gothic Walrus & hack should throw up some reviews in that thread.... and any additional content to update!

[quote name='yukine']You guys weren't joking, copying an N64 game over to an SD card takes forever.

It's unacceptable.[/quote]
[quote name='Plinko']Takes me between 4-5 minutes.[/quote]

How big are these n64 games????

most SD cards should be about 10mb-15mb/s.

I know i have saved backup channels and probably Nes, SNes games onto SD... and they were only mere seconds... I think maybe the biggest was about 30 seconds...

I have Paper Mario, so I will test when I get home... I'm betting I'll need space .. to buy MLAAK... sigh....

[quote name='eliter1']Anyone know what the pay2play WiFi sign on FFCCMLAAK is for?[/QUOTE]

All the DLC that everyone is discussing.

[quote name='Strell']Interview with lead programmer Fumiaki Shiraishi and producer Toshihiro Tsuchida from Gamasutra RE: Square games not on the VC:

Alternatively, you can read the interview as I saw it:

I find it's easy to breakdown big interview questions into something involving blowjobs.[/QUOTE]

Haha. That's hilarious Strell.

I picked up lost winds, I am enjoying it thoroughly right now. I recommend it.

Okay, I dropped ~3 HRs on DYC, so here's my impressions; the game was addicting, until I hit LV25-ish, then the game started grinding on me. Once you max out all your stats and see everything the game has to offer, it starts to get stale (which is roughly about 2hrs into the game). However, for five bones it's not bad.

Maybe I'll give a more in depth review later, but now I'm 3hrs behind on stuff I have to do :lol:

Before downloading LostWinds, I deleted Pokemon Snap...before saving it to the SD card ;_; I'm gonna have to download it again to put it on the SD card and delete it again.

[quote name='Strell']Stupid video kinda makes me want to get Defend Your Castle.

Yes I KNOW IT IS FREE ON THE INTERNETS.[/QUOTE]

You know what? It's not the best game in the world but I already feel like I've got $5 worth of fun out of it. I'd never played the flash version but downloaded it after watching the video on the Nintendo Channel.

Will I be playing it in six months? Probably not. But, it is only $5 - about the cost of a coffee and bagel here in NYC.

been trying to get on my wii's internet for awhile...finally realized (from my friend) that my channel wasn't on the recommended 1 or 11

anyways, consensus says get lost winds?

[quote name='Foo228']been trying to get on my wii's internet for awhile...finally realized (from my friend) that my channel wasn't on the recommended 1 or 11

anyways, consensus says get lost winds?[/quote]

No. Strell says get Lost Winds. :)

Just kidding - general consensus does say to get Lost Winds. People have compared it to Kirby's Canvas Curse, which should be all the convincing one would ever need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back