WrestleMania 21 Thread

[quote name='Scorch']What makes your opinion any better than mine? How can you tell me that my OPINION is wrong? Do you think that your opinion matters more because it was published on a website? I don't care if you're fucking Triple H, my opinion is my own and I like the game. I'm not blinded by "good graphics" or voiceovers (especially the latter, since I played one match in Season). Yes, the game's pretty, but i'm not blinded by anything. Smackdown vs. Raw was pretty and I thought the game sucked shit.

Don't open the game based on my recommendation. As I said, rent it, or try it in a game store first.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying my opinion is better than yours; I am saying I have the most informed opinion. It's not always about you, bro. Other people were talking about how reviews don't matter and how reviewers don't know wrestling. I was just telling them I know what I'm talking about.

Plus, your posts made it sound like you'd only gotten two matches in -- and your most recent post validates that. Again, I'm more informed. Care to argue that point? I played the game many hours before writing my review, where you're basing your thoughts on what sounds like 15 minutes of play.

You know what you guys can believe Scorch if you want he has given some decent insight on games her at CAG but trust me this game sucks.

I am a diehard wrestling fan and I think that Raw 2 is a better game and that game sucks too.

I will agree that the voice overs did actually sound good in Guyvers video but after playing a few exhibition matches I did not want to even bother to create a character and play career mode. As I mentioned earlier rent it first don't buy it.

This is really a horrible game with many glitches and we as gamers should not accept crap like this on the market.

I really wanted to like this game but I could not. Please please do not buy it. There are many other great titles that have come out this year pick up one of the ones you might of passed up because you were excited to buy wrestlemania 21.

This is my honest opinion and you can take it or leave it.

Well I opened the game since it was a gift anyways, and from my brief encounters with career mode and exhibiton, I can say the game is anywhere from bad to ok.

The glitchs put down the game ALOT. You can run towards people and as they are getting up you'll get bumped, the refeeree does indeed count "1!" twice when your out of the ring. There are so many glitchs in this game It's not even funny, and I really can't say this game is very good with all the glitchs and no Online play (yet.).

The graphics are viewtiful, but dear god please do not take the original camera view when your wrestling. Use the TV/broadcast view it changes the experience alot, and makes the game enjoyable at times.

The CAW is OK but is major weak sauce compared to the likes of DOR and Smackdown, I would say Smackdown still has the best CAW of current generation wrestlings.

Gameplay is OK to BAD, with all the collision problems and the RAW crap where you can't just tap + direction to do light grapples, instead you gota tie up then do a grapple... I hate that. The countering seems unique but I can't quite grasp how to counter all the moves. And whose idea was it to give you major heat for just one taunt? Supers seem really easy to achieve. I think the gameplay needed more time in the development department.

The game doesn't freeze on me after the match but it does skip, which is incredibly stupid, during the replay. Almost all the glitchs people have mentioned are real and It's downright dissapointing to see me getting DDT in the middle of the air DBZ style by whomever.

The commentary is pretty good but gets annoying just like in Smackdown versus RAW.

Storyline voice over is top notch, and much better then SVR, but storyline quality wise I don't know If It's better then SVR or not, looks better then DOR though.

Exhibition match quality seems ok, but theres nothing over the top.

Two things that are going to give this game a better rating? Multiplayer and Online, one component I can't even test out yet.

If this game is just as fun as every other wrestler multiplayer wise I would give it a high 6, and if Live kicks ass a mid 7. It's better then RAW2... but not by a whole lot.

More dissapointing then Smackdown versus Raw? From what I've played yes, but I won't call the final verdict till THQ does something about the Live play. But for now I would give it a 6.

I'm not saying my opinion is better than yours; I am saying I have the most informed opinion. It's not always about you, bro. Other people were talking about how reviews don't matter and how reviewers don't know wrestling. I was just telling them I know what I'm talking about.

How the fuck do you have the most informed opinion? Jeez, someone needs to pop your ego. I know it's not all about me. I never said it was. I never said anything about reviewers not knowing anything about wrestling, because, believe it or not, you don't have to know the sport to review the game. What most people seem to be forgetting is that games are loosely based on the wrestling product. It's not supposed to 100% follow the storylines.

Plus, your posts made it sound like you'd only gotten two matches in -- and your most recent post validates that. Again, I'm more informed. Care to argue that point? I played the game many hours before writing my review, where you're basing your thoughts on what sounds like 15 minutes of play.

Again, pop your ego. If you had read my post, you would've read that I played for TWO HOURS, not fifteen minutes. Yes, I care to argue my point.. my point is that you're an egotistical asshat who thinks he's a bigshot because he can freelance review and get it published.. newsflash, jerkoff.. that doesn't make your opinion any more or less informed than mine. I played the game for a couple of hours and tried out nearly every mode. Read my posts before you start making assumptions. Different people have different tastes.

I will agree that the voice overs did actually sound good in Guyvers video but after playing a few exhibition matches I did not want to even bother to create a character and play career mode. As I mentioned earlier rent it first don't buy it.

This is the guy you should be talking to. He formed his opinion after playing a few matches and didn't bother to dive into the CAW or career mode. Everyone who's played is also failing to mention how old their XBox is. The drive you have also plays a huge role in the glitches.

The glitchs put down the game ALOT. You can run towards people and as they are getting up you'll get bumped, the refeeree does indeed count "1!" twice when your out of the ring. There are so many glitchs in this game It's not even funny, and I really can't say this game is very good with all the glitchs and no Online play (yet.).

As I said, I never encountered any bumping of any walls or any miscounting whatsoever.

The game doesn't freeze on me after the match but it does skip, which is incredibly stupid, during the replay. Almost all the glitchs people have mentioned are real and It's downright dissapointing to see me getting DDT in the middle of the air DBZ style by whomever.

I did have the slow/stuttering during the replay.

As I said, I liked it, and maybe I can justify getting it more because i'm getting it with store credit instead of forking over cash. I respect everyone's opinion who plays this game, and I realize that this game is extremely love/hate... but damn, ViolentLee, you really need a fucking ego check.

Yeah people are overblowing it and saying It's the worst wrestling game ever. Anyone who says such needs to go back and play Backstage Assault, or WCW Thunder or something, the game isn't that bad, It's just dissapointing. Everyone had high hopes as with everyother WWE game to come out recently, and none has capitalized outside of HCTP a few years ago, but even then it had no online play and the gameplay was still 100% Smackdown which is love it or hate it gameplay as is.

I actually gota say I haven't ran into as much as glitchs as everyone said in my two hours of gameplay, but the collision detection is still something that's laughable at times.

And I still don't care for the grapple first then input wrestling move second sort of gameplay, and thats why No Mercy will still be the best wrestler of al ltime because of how it handled grapples and strikes.

I dont' feel as bad owning it either because my mom gave it to me as a gift since they sold their old house and had alot of free money to spend. I wish I got UC2 over this based on reviews alone, but as a wrestling fan I can give it a recommendation when it hits the $20-$30 level, just not your hard earned $50 especially without Live.

[quote name='Scorch']This is the guy you should be talking to. He formed his opinion after playing a few matches and didn't bother to dive into the CAW or career mode. Everyone who's played is also failing to mention how old their XBox is. The drive you have also plays a huge role in the glitches.[/QUOTE]

I know that people say the drive may cause problems with xbox titles but I have never experienced any freezing in any other xbox titles except for MLB2K4 and NHL2K5. I got my xbox from my girlfriend as a xmas gift when the Jet Grind/GT pack was available. I have a very large collection of games and as I mentioned the only titles to every give me problems are the two above. I do not think the drive has anything to do with the glitches in this game. I believe that the developer has to take blam for the glitches. Can you explain to my why I can not sign on to Xbox Live? Can you because your drive is newer?

Now back to the game. Just because the voiceover is good in a game does not mean that gameplay is good. I did not enjoy the gameplay of this game at all and was really disappointed in it. Now if the gameplay is not good why would I want to suffer through career mode. . . because the voiceovers are good, come on now.

There is a video on teamxbox of a match with Jericho vs. Shelton. Watch the video there are glithes happening in the reviewer's video.

I glad to see you liked the game Scorch. But I think it sucks.

I really think the problem with people is they stick up for a game that is done half arse. Now if you like it that is ok people can form there opinion and pay for whatever they like but I will not pay $50 for this piece of . . .

When they should look at DOR or SVR or No Mercy. These games do not have the major problems that this game has.

It might be going in the right direction to some degree but I expected something completely different. The collision detect in my opinion ruins the gameplay experience. It to me is one of the worst wrestling game to be released because of the faulty collision detection. How can you enjoy a wrestling title with bad collision detection that is what you do in wrestling collide with your opponent.

Maybe if they would have delayed it again it might have come out better but I find this game to be unacceptable.

Who approves a game like this to be released. That what I want to know. Especially with the Live portion not working.

[quote name='Scorch']How the fuck do you have the most informed opinion? [/QUOTE]

Do we need to measure our dicks? Okay, then. Me: pro wrestler, pro journalist, played virtually every wrestling game known to man, spent >8 hours with the game, and then broke it down into 1,200 or so analytical words. If you think that makes me a prick for saying it, so be it. You asked a question, I answered with facts. FACTS, not ego. Again, that doesn't make any differing opinions wrong -- I never said that -- but it does make me the most informed. Need I mention how much I played the game for preview or the demo I was given by the THQ guys months ago? If you think you're more of an expert on the subject than me, I welcome your evidence.

I know how you like to think you rule the CAG roost, and you got others drinking that Kool-Ade, but there's always a bigger dog. In this case, it's me -- no matter how pissed that makes you. So go on another of your little curse-filled rants (most people get a good laugh out of them), but you lose this one. You saying I have an ego problem is like Yokozuna calling Rikishi fat.

By the way, I didn't run into many "glitches" while I played, and I tend to not concern myself too much with them. Falling through the floor once is nothing compared to lame AI, laggy controls, or poor balancing.

[quote name='flybrione']
Now back to the game. Just because the voiceover is good in a game does not mean that gameplay is good. I did not enjoy the gameplay of this game at all and was really disappointed in it. Now if the gameplay is not good why would I want to suffer through career mode. . . because the voiceovers are good, come on now.[/QUOTE]

..Why do you keep mentioning voiceovers? I realize the difference between voiceovers and gameplay.. geez, wtf?

There is a video on teamxbox of a match with Jericho vs. Shelton. Watch the video there are glithes happening in the reviewer's video.

I want to watch what happens when I play the game on my XBox, not what happens when a reviewer plays on his.

I really think the problem with people is they stick up for a game that is done half arse. Now if you like it that is ok people can form there opinion and pay for whatever they like but I will not pay $50 for this piece of . . .

What's your deal? We understand that you do not like the game and you do not want to pay $50 for it. Please stop repeating yourself.

Do we need to measure our dicks? Okay, then. Me: pro wrestler, pro journalist, played virtually every wrestling game known to man, spent >8 hours with the game, and then broke it down into 1,200 or so analytical words. If you think that makes me a prick for saying it, so be it. You asked a question, I answered with facts. FACTS, not ego. Again, that doesn't make any differing opinions wrong -- I never said that -- but it does make me the most informed. Need I mention how much I played the game for preview or the demo I was given by the THQ guys months ago? If you think you're more of an expert on the subject than me, I welcome your evidence.

Being a pro wrestler and a pro journalist has fuck all to do with you knowing shit about a game. If anything, you being a wrestler would make you even more anal about reviewing it than you already are. Yes, you're a prick. And yeah, you did say my opinion was wrong. How could "This game is awful, Scorch was just blinded by the good graphics" be taken any other way? You basically told me to shut up and sit down, and i'm not one for taking orders. I don't care if you had a preview for a demo. I don't care if you're a pro journalist.

When did games stop being about having fun and start being the subject of overanalysis? I thought I played games to have fun, not to bitch when The Rock looks to the left of the ramp instead of the right.

I know how you like to think you rule the CAG roost, and you got others drinking that Kool-Ade, but there's always a bigger dog

Um.. no, I don't. I don't "rule the CAG roost" and I don't have others "drinking kool-aid". I think you should take a step back and stop the bullshit observations. You think that I am forcing people to play it because of my opinion - i'm not. I constantly stress that while others may not find the game fun, I do. I even said not to open the game based on my opinion. Seriously, stop thinking you know me as a person, because you don't.

In this case, it's me -- no matter how pissed that makes you. So go on another of your little curse-filled rants (most people get a good laugh out of them), but you lose this one. You saying I have an ego problem is like Yokozuna calling Rikishi fat.

I've gone beyond saying you have an ego problem.. words can't describe how cocky you are. I don't know where you have your little opinion of me from, but you should reevaluate it.

It's really annoying how you talk to people, too. You've got a god complex and it feels like you're being condescending.. seriously, just because you don a pair of tights and work at some indie promotion slaving away to make a few extra bucks a night by throwing a hiptoss in some rundown arena doesn't make your opinion on a game any more valid than mine. The fact that you flaunt that you're a "pro wrestler" is funny in itself.

By the way, I didn't run into many "glitches" while I played, and I tend to not concern myself too much with them.

A quick look at your review suggests the polar opposite.

Bottom line, quit being a dickhead and thinking your opinion is above everyone else's. Everyone has their own opinion and i've encouraged people to try it first.

Well, I refused the package, joined gamefly, and now have WM21 and Jade Empire en route as my trial games.

A much better solution, methinks.

[quote name='Scorch']
I've gone beyond saying you have an ego problem.. words can't describe how cocky you are. I don't know where you have your little opinion of me from, but you should reevaluate it.

It's really annoying how you talk to people, too. You've got a god complex and it feels like you're being condescending.. seriously, just because you don a pair of tights and work at some indie promotion slaving away to make a few extra bucks a night by throwing a hiptoss in some rundown arena doesn't make your opinion on a game any more valid than mine. The fact that you flaunt that you're a "pro wrestler" is funny in itself.

A quick look at your review suggests the polar opposite.

Bottom line, quit being a dickhead and thinking your opinion is above everyone else's. Everyone has their own opinion and i've encouraged people to try it first.[/QUOTE]

Boo hoo hoo. I needed a Kleenex after reading yet another whining, insulting Scorch post. I'm disappointed it wasn't more sweary, though. You contradict yourself so often, I think you should get tested for mutliple personality disorder. I'm the one who talks bad to people? I'm flaunting things? Again, I used facts to back up my review. You haven't used fact one to back up anthing -- especially for how much you flap your lips and tickle the keyboard. You can't disprove anything I've said so you resort to personal attacks. Good strategy, big man.

To you, everyone is either wrong or a dick. Since I was right, I'm a dick -- about my opinion being more informed than yours -- remember how mad that statement made you and how you can't disprove it? Oops, I'd better stop "flaunting." Keep telling me what to do and how I should be, because you're such an expert psychologist -- not to mention a paragon of virtue and a shining beacon to us all. If I took your conduct as an example on how to act, you'd think I was an even bigger ass. You may want to forgo buying a cheap ass game one time to purchase a mirror so you can look at yourself in it.

Word to the wise: Scorch takes everything said in any thread he posts in as a direct assault on him, and will call you every name in the book as a retaliation. Just agree with him and pat him on the head for being so smart, or suffer his horrible wrath. Just be prepared when he spontaneously flipflops -- like how he dissed this game terribly until he played it 5 minutes and liked it, or when he used to always trash the PSP mercilessly then talked about wanting one after it'd been out a week. Need I repeat the term multiple-personality disorder?

Wow, this is hilarious..

To you, everyone is either wrong or a dick

The only people I've called wrong or a dick is you and Matt Young.

Since I was right, I'm a dick -- about my opinion being more informed than yours -- remember how mad that statement made you and how you can't disprove it?

I don't understand why you continually try to justify an opinion.. I have my opinion and you have yours. Yours is no better than mine. That's what I've said from the start.

Word to the wise: Scorch takes everything said in any thread he posts in as a direct assault on him, and will call you every name in the book as a retaliation.

I think you're confusing me with Morphiend or Nephets. Why would I call someone names (well, besides you, for thinking someone could have a bigger opinion than someone else) over the internet?

Just be prepared when he spontaneously flipflops -- like how he dissed this game terribly until he played it 5 minutes and liked it, or when he used to always trash the PSP mercilessly then talked about wanting one after it'd been out a week. Need I repeat the term multiple-personality disorder?

Multiple personality? Uhh, right. I was making fun of the game because of the videos and pictures people posted. Once I actually played the game, I retracted my statement.

I still trash the PSP mercilessly, but yes, I'd like one to transfer MP3's and videos on. That's the post I started in the forum.

I can transfer MP3's with it, right? A whole 8 songs or so. I probably won't get any games at launch, but aside from GTA and GT4, what else is on the horizon? Basically, what else should I learn before trying to get one?

I also made a post on conversions. So yes, I don't like the PSP, but I'd like to carry music and movies around.

Whatever I say, you'll come in with a personal attack, which is completely unnecessary. Yeah, I called you a few names, but you decided to insult me as a person, and you don't even know me at all.. so you know what? Screw this.

Damn, I have no freakin' clue about what to do. My brother and I are wondering whether to buy this game or not. I can understand some glitches and collision detection problems (what game doesn't have a couple of screwups?), but a lot of folks are talking about this game being a complete piece of shit that will melt my Xbox if I play it.

I'm heading out for dinner soon and hopefully someone can help me decide whether or not to pick this up on the way home.

Thanks! :)

Scorch, it's very relieving knowing that you enjoy the game. I may not know you personally, but seeing you giving the game praise does more to make me think positively than any review would make me think negatively.

ViolentLee, I respect your opinion as well, but I'm a (partially) trained pro wrestler myself (obligatory New Midwest Wrestling cheap plug) so we'll see what I have to say. :p If we disagree, maybe we can battle it out in real life for the CAG Title. You're not too far away, lol.

Anyway, I just called GameRush since my sleep was permanently interrupted, and apparently they don't have the courtesy GameCrazy would to call the customers who preordered, because the game's in. I'm leaving to pick it up in a minute. I'll post thoughts later on tonight.

Oops, I forgot- Scorch, I'm not sure if the person who replied to your GameFAQs post is our Leena or not. I saw that someone posts as "Leenah" there and "Leena" at GR, but both names are spelled differently than the name she used at CAG. Also, e-mail addresses are different. I don't know if it's her or not, but that's been something I've been wondering about myself.

Well, I got the chance to play it some at EB and it just didnt feel right to me. I appreciate the opinions of everyone, but I decided against getting it for now. I am currently trying to get a job at EB and then maybe with the discount, I'd get it, but instead its Jade Empire for the next few weeks. And whats with Lina trolling on GFAQS? Thats just odd...

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Damn, I have no freakin' clue about what to do. My brother and I are wondering whether to buy this game or not. I can understand some glitches and collision detection problems (what game doesn't have a couple of screwups?), but a lot of folks are talking about this game being a complete piece of shit that will melt my Xbox if I play it.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you. Me and my bro want to get it too but I wanna wait and see some more reactions to the game before deciding to pick it up or wait. The glitches and other things dont bother me as long as the gameplay is good.

Scorch, if you've played any other current wrestling game (could be anything;, DOR, HCTP, SVR, LOW:S, etc.), how would you compare those to Wrestlemania's gameplay? Could you give a score out of 10 too to how good the gameplay is?

Thought I'd post some news here for you guys, dunno if anyone else has brought this up....I have a friend who worked on the graphics engine for WMXXI and he said there MAY be a recall on the game, apparently there was a HUGE mix up with the beta of the game and the beta was accidentally released retail. He said it's doubtful THQ is gonna take the blame for the mistake, even though the published the game.

Also, some more tidbits: THQ took (I think) 3-4 months off the production schedule, and rushed the game to somewhat coincide with the actual event.

[quote name='mykevermin']I like the Gwar avatar more than the NIN avatar. That's my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Because Gwar is better than Nine Inch Nails!

[quote name='mykevermin']I like the Gwar avatar more than the NIN avatar. That's my two cents.[/QUOTE]

That's because Gwar is better than Nine Inch Nails!

[quote name='Scorch']BTW, this was played on a Samsung drive. If you have a Thompson, you should probably avoid this game like the plague. Raw 2 barely worked with it, I doubt WM21 will.[/QUOTE]

That's one user's experience. I bought my XBox on launch day and even with the earliest Thompson drive you can get I never had any problems with Raw 2. However, since this game is a piece of crap that some people are willing to swallow for some reason I don't plan on finding out anyway.

Make it four cents.

[quote name='Scorch']BTW, this was played on a Samsung drive. If you have a Thompson, you should probably avoid this game like the plague. Raw 2 barely worked with it, I doubt WM21 will.[/QUOTE]

That's one user's experience. I bought my XBox on launch day and even with the earliest Thompson drive you can get I never had any problems with Raw 2, and I've rarely had any problems with ANY XBox games. Still, "you should probably avoid this game like the plague" is accurate regardless.

[quote name='Scorch']I have my opinion and you have yours. Yours is no better than mine. That's what I've said from the start.[/QUOTE]

And that's one of the biggest, most overused cop-outs by people on the internet. Everyone who can't come up with something strong to support what they are saying just falls back on "IT'S ALL OPINION, NO ONE IS WRONG" as if it's not possible for one of the two (or more) people to have a more reputable or informed opinion. I don't even know if that's the case here...nor do I care...reading all the back and forth posts would be too tedious for someone whose attention span has been destroyed by the internet and television.

Sure, it's possible for someone to enjoy this game - just like it's possible for people to have lower standards. If someone enjoys the game, good for them. I hope it's not just someone trying to justify their disappointing $50 purchase. Hey, I've been there...I bought Raw 2 for $40 bucks when it first came out and I tried to convince myself it was ok before giving up and selling the piece of crap.

[quote name='slimpip']Thought I'd post some news here for you guys, dunno if anyone else has brought this up....I have a friend who worked on the graphics engine for WMXXI and he said there MAY be a recall on the game, apparently there was a HUGE mix up with the beta of the game and the beta was accidentally released retail. He said it's doubtful THQ is gonna take the blame for the mistake, even though the published the game.

Also, some more tidbits: THQ took (I think) 3-4 months off the production schedule, and rushed the game to somewhat coincide with the actual event.[/QUOTE]

That would be pleasing news. As I am a skeptic (it's what I'm paid to be), I would like you to provide some evidence that what you're saying is true. If not, no big deal (I'm not going to start a gamefaqs sissyfight over the ordeal, unlike two people whose names rhyme with 'violentlee' and 'scorch', to be vague). I'm just a fan of corroboration.

I have to admit that I'm kind of depressed that this game is so abysmal. It would be nice if THQ stepped up and recalled the title. I can't think of *any* instance where a company has admitted fault in a release (what was the end of the story with the Breed game mentioned a few pages back?). THQ never acknowledged that No Mercy had one fatal bug; they never acknowledged that Raw 2 was plagued. Can anyone cite an example of a company saying something to the effect of "Oh, shit. We're sorry, here's the real game." I think they had to do that with GC Phantasy Star Online in Japan, but other than that, I'm drawing blanks.

I'm also up to my neck in games; currently, I have no qualms in admitting that Doom 3 is scaring me half to death. It is one of the most fantastic titles in terms of ambience (and not a half bad shooter, either).

myke.
...having bought a Boston Terrier on Sunday (very expensive, FYI), and having a tattoo appointment next Thursday, perhaps this is $50 that I'm better off having saved.

If I could provide hard evidence I would :) All I can really say is he works for Studio Gigante in Chicago (I live in the burbs right outside of Chicago so he visits often). If you go through the credits his name is Rodrigo M. Here is his website if you'd like to view some of his work: www.arempire.com

Again, I don't know if THQ is going to perform a recall, since it would be at cost to them...but I know for a fact that Studio Gigante is demanding it.

[quote name='slimpip']If I could provide hard evidence I would :) All I can really say is he works for Studio Gigante in Chicago (I live in the burbs right outside of Chicago so he visits often). If you go through the credits his name is Rodrigo M. Here is his website if you'd like to view some of his work: www.arempire.com

Again, I don't know if THQ is going to perform a recall, since it would be at cost to them...but I know for a fact that Studio Gigante is demanding it.[/QUOTE]

A recall would be a huge pain for them and would be basically admitting that they released a really crappy product which would damage their reputation even more than it has been already. I can't see it happening, but I hope you are right.

My memory isn't working right now...can anyone remember a recall on a game before? (any console)

[quote name='slimpip']Thought I'd post some news here for you guys, dunno if anyone else has brought this up....I have a friend who worked on the graphics engine for WMXXI and he said there MAY be a recall on the game, apparently there was a HUGE mix up with the beta of the game and the beta was accidentally released retail. He said it's doubtful THQ is gonna take the blame for the mistake, even though the published the game.

Also, some more tidbits: THQ took (I think) 3-4 months off the production schedule, and rushed the game to somewhat coincide with the actual event.[/QUOTE]

So its BREED all over again, eh?

[quote name='CheapyD']So its BREED all over again, eh?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, but on a much larger scale :)

[quote name='KaneRobot']A recall would be a huge pain for them and would be basically admitting that they released a really crappy product which would damage their reputation even more than it has been already. I can't see it happening, but I hope you are right.

My memory isn't working right now...can anyone remember a recall on a game before? (any console)[/QUOTE]
I don't see it happening either. They'll just keep working on it and turn it back out as WM22 next year.

They used to talk about recalling WWF No Mercy, too, since it would spontaneously erase all your saved data. Never happened, though.

[quote name='slimpip']Also, some more tidbits: THQ took (I think) 3-4 months off the production schedule, and rushed the game to somewhat coincide with the actual event.[/QUOTE]

Regarding dev cycle, I don't envy THQ or Studio Gigante. This was a new engine and a new developer trying to turn out a project under a tight deadline. In my opinion they failed miserably, and it's yet another case of the quick-turnover sequel mentality biting everyone in the ass. When will companies learn that we don't need a sequel every year -- especially when THQ is releasing almost 3 WWE properties per year.

[quote name='ViolentLee']They used to talk about recalling WWF No Mercy, too, since it would spontaneously erase all your saved data. Never happened, though.

Regarding dev cycle, I don't envy THQ or Studio Gigante. This was a new engine and a new developer trying to turn out a project under a tight deadline. In my opinion they failed miserably, and it's yet another case of the quick-turnover sequel mentality biting everyone in the ass. When will companies learn that we don't need a sequel every year -- especially when THQ is releasing almost 3 WWE properties per year.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. Many argue for and against annual updates. Some sports might be considered unnecessary. Not to pick on football or baseball, but roster updates would be more than sufficient in many cases.

On the other hand, wrestling has many facets that change very quickly; the roster on any given WWE game is outdated by the time it is released. Some characters' appearances, moves, or music changes. Perhaps, in the future, roster updates can fix this. In the meantime, remaining current is very important for fans of wrestling games. We're like comic geeks in that respect. If Kurt Angle's character model doesn't spin the right way, we bitch. Is it snarky? You betcha.

It's counterproductive, of course, since THQ decides to rush games the way they have. I was burned by Raw 2, but THQ exchanged it at no cost for Here Comes the Pain. You would think they know better; perhaps the sales indicated otherwise. That's a total shame.

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yes and no. Many argue for and against annual updates. Some sports might be considered unnecessary. Not to pick on football or baseball, but roster updates would be more than sufficient in many cases.

On the other hand, wrestling has many facets that change very quickly; the roster on any given WWE game is outdated by the time it is released. Some characters' appearances, moves, or music changes. Perhaps, in the future, roster updates can fix this. In the meantime, remaining current is very important for fans of wrestling games. We're like comic geeks in that respect. If Kurt Angle's character model doesn't spin the right way, we bitch. Is it snarky? You betcha.

It's counterproductive, of course, since THQ decides to rush games the way they have. I was burned by Raw 2, but THQ exchanged it at no cost for Here Comes the Pain. You would think they know better; perhaps the sales indicated otherwise. That's a total shame.

myke.[/QUOTE]

New NBA game every year? Okay, sure. New Tiger Woods or Tony Hawk games every year? As much as I like them, it's overkill. I think wrestling is the same way -- though I'm anxiously anticipating when my homie Daivari (RAW Superstar) appears in a game. Besides, you're never going to be totally current with the rosters and the storylines, no matter how often you put out a new game. I'm glad that games are making up their own storylines, independent of what's happening on TV.

Both Smackdown and Day of Reckoning are quality titles, but imagine what THQ could do if it pooled its developmental resources to make one, all-encompassing wrestling game. Why, it might even rival the great AKI games of old -- and finally give Xbox owners something worth playing. .

[quote name='slimpip']If I could provide hard evidence I would :) All I can really say is he works for Studio Gigante in Chicago (I live in the burbs right outside of Chicago so he visits often). If you go through the credits his name is Rodrigo M. Here is his website if you'd like to view some of his work: www.arempire.com

Again, I don't know if THQ is going to perform a recall, since it would be at cost to them...but I know for a fact that Studio Gigante is demanding it.[/QUOTE]

It wouldnt suprise me that what we are playing is a beta, but how much improved can the final product be? Less collision detection and glitchs? That can't improve the gameplay too much, but one things for sure we all want online play, and we want it now. This is clearly false advertisement by THQ, and if they don't get on the ball I bet some insane wrestling fanatics will be taking action soon.

what is going on with this online issue....i havent been able to log in....

edit...answered myy own question....this is fucking incredible

The online play in Wrestlemania XXI is easily the most attractive feature in the game. Too bad you can't play it. Somehow, some way, the retail game that you can buy in stores right now will not connect to Xbox Live at all. It doesn't even try; it just spits out a fat connection error the second you try to sign in. How the game could have shipped with such a significant oversight is unthinkable, though for what it's worth, with gameplay like this, online play wouldn't have helped much. And in case you were wondering, the possibility of an online patch doesn't seem like it's going to be an option, what with the whole inability to even connect to Xbox Live thing.

Alright.. ViolentLee, I'm sorry. I shot off remarks that shouldn't have been said. Truth be told, your review is a good one. Let's just call a truce and agree to disagree.

I thought the problem with No Mercy was a loose cart battery or something.. I never personally had the big glitch, thank god.

If there was a recall, that'd be great. I like the game right now, so I can only imagine how much more I'd like it if they had an improved version.. however, in the beta versions, the online mode was working, and it's not even working now.. so.. who knows. If they rereleased it, that'd be great.. it'd be (one of) the first time a company's ever admitted that they messed up and wanted to fix the problem. A recall would cost a ton of money, though.. maybe they could say just mail us your copy of the game and receipt and we'll send you the real version?.. that'd be cool.

[quote name='guyver2077']what is going on with this online issue....i havent been able to log in....[/QUOTE]

oh come on, guyver.. do you not pay attention at all? lol that's what we've been talking about, the online mode is broke, everyone's waiting for a patch.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/20/news_6122657.html

yea sorry i bought the dame first thing this morning and only played for like an hour and have been studying for a final all day today....just started checking the boards again..

i was hoping they would fix this by the end of the night

[quote name='Scorch']Alright.. ViolentLee, I'm sorry. I shot off remarks that shouldn't have been said. Truth be told, your review is a good one. Let's just call a truce and agree to disagree.[/QUOTE]

A truce it is, good call. I enjoyed our banter, and I realize I was an anus about some things. I honestly hope people who bought the game like it -- nobody wants to have wasted $50, whether it's cash money, store credit, or someone else's money in the form of a gift. We all get different experiences out of what we play; that's what makes games so great.

[quote name='guyver2077']well i enjoy every wrestling game... no matter what...

heck i bought raw 2 when it came out for $50 and enjoyed it...[/QUOTE]

Hey, IGN liked Raw 2, too. It had some good things to it, I'll admit. I gave it a 7.25 out of 10. Multiplayer story mode, jacking guys in the back, custom soundtrack entrances. It wasn't all bad, in my opinion.

Did you ever play Legends of Wrestling 2 for GBA, though? Probably the worst wrestling game I've ever played: http://gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200303/R03.0729.1528.47692.htm

[quote name='ViolentLee']A truce it is, good call. I enjoyed our banter, and I realize I was an anus about some things. I honestly hope people who bought the game like it -- nobody wants to have wasted $50, whether it's cash money, store credit, or someone else's money in the form of a gift. We all get different experiences out of what we play; that's what makes games so great.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I went back to GameCrazy and planned on getting this.. they only had the display copy. I played the employee there, and it was a blast to play against him. He was Stacy Keibler and I was HBK.. bit of an uneven match, no? Anyways, it was pretty fun, and hopefully it'll be that type of fun on Live.

I will admit though, it did freeze once or twice, but nothing to restart the XBox. It froze for a good 20-25 seconds before a replay after a match.. maybe some people just don't have patience and reset their XBox.

I did, however, grab a MGS3: Snake Eater standee (woohoo! Was a bitch and a half to get out the door, in the car and home, then re-set up.. I can't get the backing thing to connect in the right spot..) and some awesome Pelican controller for 12.99 with the black and white buttons at the top, almost like L1 and R1, with the triggers being an L2 and R2.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/566/566357p1.html

I THINK that's it, though my controller does not glow. Oh well. After discount and taxes it was like $12.50.. not bad for an extra controller. I keep hearing rumors about a patch tonight for Live, though I'm not holding my breath. If there is one, though, I'm getting the display copy i've been playing at GameCrazy..

Hopefully there was a mixup with the game (Breed). I would reconsider getting this game if there is a recall and the correct game is sold.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/wrestlema...e&level2=ticker&level3=wrestlemaniaautoupdate

Dear Valued Customers:

It has come to our attention that, due to a manufacturing error at the disc replication facility, gamers may experience problems utilizing the online feature in WWE WrestleMania® 21.

We are currently working to issue an auto update that will be available for download on Xbox Live as quickly as possible. Please be assured this is a isolated issue and we apologize for the inconvenience.

We appreciate your patience while we work to address this situation.

Regards,
THQ Customer Service

its alright i just got it today, kinda dissapointed by the CAW, xbox live currently doesnt work, story mode is ok, the pyro is bad looking, the crowd isnt what i expected, the graphics and gameplay are great though

bread's done
Back