WTF HALO2 HAS LEAKED!!!

yeah even gamesites are posting about the leak...

Pirates release Halo 2

Microsoft's biggest Xbox release for 2004 has been leaked onto the Internet.
Late last night, 27 days before its officially scheduled retail release, an allegedly complete version of Microsoft's upcoming first-person shooter, Halo 2, was leaked onto the Internet. The pirated release, said to be a PAL version of the game with French-language dialogue, is currently making its way around various Usenet newsgroups and peer-to-peer networks. There has been no word on where, or how the game originally surfaced at this time. It should be noted that players who download the game illegally could face a maximum penalty of $100,000 per infringement for copyright violations.

Halo 2, which continues the adventures of Master Chief with an all-new single-player adventure, as well as Xbox Live support for Internet-based multiplayer, is scheduled to hit retail shelves on November 9. We'll have more on this story as it develops.

By Staff -- GameSpot
POSTED: 10/14/04 01:23 AM PST

[quote name='KEYSER SOZE']yeah even gamesites are posting about the leak...

Pirates release Halo 2

Microsoft's biggest Xbox release for 2004 has been leaked onto the Internet.
Late last night, 27 days before its officially scheduled retail release, an allegedly complete version of Microsoft's upcoming first-person shooter, Halo 2, was leaked onto the Internet. The pirated release, said to be a PAL version of the game with French-language dialogue, is currently making its way around various Usenet newsgroups and peer-to-peer networks. There has been no word on where, or how the game originally surfaced at this time. It should be noted that players who download the game illegally could face a maximum penalty of $100,000 per infringement for copyright violations.

Halo 2, which continues the adventures of Master Chief with an all-new single-player adventure, as well as Xbox Live support for Internet-based multiplayer, is scheduled to hit retail shelves on November 9. We'll have more on this story as it develops.

By Staff -- GameSpot
POSTED: 10/14/04 01:23 AM PST[/quote]

You do realize that Scorch already posted this exact same article not but 4 posts above you right?

You guys get all worked up over this stuff!!!!
I love Halo and twich with excitement at the sound of it's name but I will not go download this, I already have my copy ordered and paid for and have trained my body and soul to await the Nov. 9th release and will not let anything keep me from reaching that day!

I would expect Microsoft to have inserted an identifier into each copy of Halo 2 they gave out, so they could identify whos copy it is that leaked. If not, they probably will from now on.

Leave it to the french to try to ruin halo 2 for the rest of us. I'm avoiding any halo2 news until november 9th. FFVII was ruined by the internet for me, i won't have that happen again..

Maybe they should change the game a little to be more insulting to the French. Maybe France gets destroyed in the first minute of battle, or the Master Chief calls the aliens Frogs or French pieces of crap throughout the game.

I say more insulted because I'm sure they're insulted by something already.

Pants are for losers. Real men wear KILTS!!!! Master Cheif has some MJOLNIR *hates acronyms* kilts in Halo 2. I know this because I"m playing the pirated version right now and he is kicking ass in this kilt. I feel they did a little too much "bump" mapping though. eww he didnt have to wear it the traditional way.

[quote name='gtguru']Yeah, I wish it didn't happen. It will be an even longer three and a half weeks if we have to try to avoid spoilers.[/quote]

Or if the final print gets recalled and you have to wait a year and a half like with HL2. :twisted:

Or if the final print gets recalled and you have to wait a year and a half like with HL2.
Doubt it. The source code wasn't stolen, just a copy of the final version of the game. Whats been leaked is the French version of what you'll see in stores in November. No need to delay it. (unless you want to add some anti-French stuff to the game, but that can work through downloadable content anyway).

[quote name='dafoomie']
Or if the final print gets recalled and you have to wait a year and a half like with HL2.
Doubt it. The source code wasn't stolen, just a copy of the final version of the game. Whats been leaked is the French version of what you'll see in stores in November. No need to delay it. (unless you want to add some anti-French stuff to the game, but that can work through downloadable content anyway).[/quote]

ehhh, I was just throwing that out as a joke. I am probably the one and only humanoid in the universe who hated Halo. So, I have never looked forward to Halo 2 (although some of the pics in the new EGM look pretty cool).

ehhh, I was just throwing that out as a joke. I am probably the one and only humanoid in the universe who hated Halo. So, I have never looked forward to Halo 2 (although some of the pics in the new EGM look pretty cool).
Reading it again, I see that now.. Sorry about that. I'm not a huge fan of FPS's but I am looking foreward to it, though I'll only really play it until Mechassault 2 comes out.

Almost every game that comes out gets leaked one way or another. It's no big deal. I wouldn't get all worked up on someone playing Halo 2 right now. It's not like the game is supposed to be the surprise of the century.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Almost every game that comes out gets leaked one way or another. It's no big deal. I wouldn't get all worked up on someone playing Halo 2 right now. It's not like the game is supposed to be the surprise of the century.[/quote]

Well, from what i can tell, the story is...Hell, XBN's playtest ended up reading like a drooling fan girls diary because they cant talk about certain aspects until release/next months issue.

[quote name='Ledhed']

It's Bungie employees retard. They've been playing online since the retail version went gold. Calm the shaq-fu down.[/quote]

If you think this game wouldn't/couldn't be up on some moron's warez site by now, you shouldn't be calling people "retard".

While I'll admit ignorance on xbconnect, why would Bungie employees be using xbconnect, and not just use Live? It's not like they don't have the ability. Does xbconnect list Live games also?

People get too worked up about this game.

Maybe this is a MS/Bungie publicity stunt to futher advertise Halo 2...in case some people haven't heard about it. For all I know, they could have released it themselves.
I'm not really into Halo at all but I have a trade-in-deal copy on reserve.

Honestly, how many with a modded X-box were going to buy it anyway? Most people chip thier boxes for the sole purpose of this.

Seeing that the story is legit, my Thompson Drive X-box is going to cringe thinking about all of the copy-protection they are going to add for the US release :(. My box has a hard enough time reading discs. It's been a little better since I fed it the 'Hooked on Phonics' CD ;)

[quote name='CappyCobra']Honestly, how many with a modded X-box were going to buy it anyway? Most people chip thier boxes for the sole purpose of this.

Seeing that the story is legit, my Thompson Drive X-box is going to cringe thinking about all of the copy-protection they are going to add for the US release :(. My box has a hard enough time reading discs. It's been a little better since I fed it the 'Hooked on Phonics' CD ;)[/quote]

Hokd on fonics wrkd fir me

Honestly, how many with a modded X-box were going to buy it anyway? Most people chip thier boxes for the sole purpose of this.
I have a modded Xbox, and I'm buying two copies. And I'm not downloading it. I have it modded for Xbox Media Center and emulators.

Would all the "halo is no big deal" "you're freaking out" "I don't like halo" "Stupid halo fans get owned!! LOLOMGWTFBBQ!people get the fuck out of this thread? That's fantastic, how about a round of applause for the people who don't like halo.. Now get out of the thread about halo if you don't like it..

I don't care if some lowlife pirate who lives in his parents basement and weighs 400 pounds (like DLF) downloads and plays this, but you KNOW there are going to be douchebags(like DLF) blatantly trying to post spoilers just so they can get someone to pay attention to their miserable existences. I have waited 3 years for this story and I really don't want to have it ruined, thats why this pirating pisses me off.

There will be no moving up of the retail date.. The game is in the manufacturing process, its not like they can just release it whenever they want.

I bet MS moves up the retail date. A month is too long and more people will succumb to the pirating bug as the days go on
I'm not sure if they could if they wanted to, making millions of games takes time. Its less than a month away now, how much could they really move it up and have enough copies made and distributed in time?

Then it would delay something else. How much could they realistically move it up? One week? Two weeks? It has to come out on a Tuesday, and theres only 4 Tuesdays left. Is it really worth it just to be 1 or 2 weeks early?

lets look at it realistically, there's over 1 million preorders and probably half that more of people that will just go out and buy it. It has been about a week since the game went gold and was sent to manufacture.

so if a manufacturing plant was producing nothing but halo 2 discs for 18 hours a day, they would have to make 11,904.8 discs an hour to fulfill those orders in a week.
If you gave them 30 days, they would still have to produce 2,777.8 copies of the game an hour to make that 1.5 million mark. That would be 46 copies a minute and .8 copies per second. A plant working 24 hour days for 30 days would still have to make over 2,000 copies an hour. I don't think they're exaggerating the time they need to manufacture.

Consider also that you're producing two seperate versions of the game, one with a specialty metal case and two discs.

[quote name='dafoomie']
I have a modded Xbox, and I'm buying two copies. And I'm not downloading it. I have it modded for Xbox Media Center and emulators.[/quote]

I was not branding ALL modchip owners as pirates, but you can't deny it. Take a look at those torrent sites and see how many ppl are seeding/leeching.

[quote name='jughead']the leaked copy is one that you have to burn and play on modded box. [/quote]

0673.jpg

[quote name='dafoomie']Yes, now I'm fairly satisfied. Was it so hard to wait a few hours before you "knew"?[/quote]

Uh, I already knew.

[quote name='dafoomie']
I would expect Microsoft to have inserted an identifier into each copy of Halo 2 they gave out, so they could identify whos copy it is that leaked. If not, they probably will from now on. [/quote]

AFAIK, they only sent out one: The gold disc.

[quote name='that BBC article']"Whilst the leak happened, Microsoft have acted quickly to shut it down," James Ashton, publisher of the Official Xbox Magazine told BBC News Online.[/quote]

Uh, once something has leaked, you can never "shut it down". It spreads like wildfire.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Almost every game that comes out gets leaked one way or another. It's no big deal.[/quote]

This is true, sadly. Did you guys know a final copy of Juiced was leaked? The game was picked up by another devloper (Rockstar, I think?) and isn't coming out until Summer 05.

[quote name='PrinceNeil']Maybe this is a MS/Bungie publicity stunt to futher advertise Halo 2...in case some people haven't heard about it. For all I know, they could have released it themselves. [/quote]

..this doesn't even deserve a reply.

[quote name='CappyCobra']Honestly, how many with a modded X-box were going to buy it anyway? Most people chip thier boxes for the sole purpose of this. [/quote]

Millions, actually. Modded XBoxes come with an external switch so you can play on Live without it being detected. Since Microsoft isn't on the ball on the modded XBox playing on Live undetected issue, there's still no fix for it. Halo 2 is being downloaded at colleges across the nation, and they'll burn four copies, and they'll have sixteen player tournaments by the end of the week. I'll guarentee you that.

[quote name='dafoomie']I have a modded Xbox, and I'm buying two copies. And I'm not downloading it. I have it modded for Xbox Media Center and emulators. [/quote]

See? He has a modded XBox, and he's buying two. I'm buying two as well, and my XBox isn't modded.. yet. IF I ever mod my XBox, it will be the same reason as above - XBox Media Center and emulators. I will never, ever, ever download and play an illegal XBox game.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']
I bet MS moves up the retail date. A month is too long and more people will succumb to the pirating bug as the days go on [/quote]

Extremely, extremely doubtful. They're pressed for time as it is to press over a million copies.

[quote name='jer7583']There will be no moving up of the retail date.. The game is in the manufacturing process, its not like they can just release it whenever they want.[/quote]

They can. Eminem's "The Eminem Show" CD was also 'in manufacturing process', then it was leaked.. so he moved up the release date a week or two.

[quote name='evilmax17']So uh, how is it? [/quote]

*claws come out* Wrong question, bub.

[quote name='CappyCobra']I was not branding ALL modchip owners as pirates, but you can't deny it. Take a look at those torrent sites and see how many ppl are seeding/leeching.[/quote]

Thanks, I meant to do that earlier. Let's take a look.

Interesting, one site pulled all the Halo 2 torrents. Let's hope others follow suit. I see two torrents.. one has 179 downloads.. one has 238 downloads..

I'm so pulling for Microsoft on this one. I can't imagine what they're going through right now.

Who really cares if someone is downloading the game? Its not your job to bust them. I'm not saying its right by any means. Microsoft will crack down on them the same way movie companies crack down on bootleggers. As far as spoilers go, just don't visit any message boards if you are that scared of spoilers.

[quote name='howlinmad'][quote name='Ledhed']

It's Bungie employees retard. They've been playing online since the retail version went gold. Calm the shaq-fu down.[/quote]

If you think this game wouldn't/couldn't be up on some moron's warez site by now, you shouldn't be calling people "retard".[/quote]

Read a lttle further next time. I thought the OP meant that people were seeing "Halo 2" being played on their friend's list, something that makes perfect sense contextually. After seeing that he was talking about the leak, I apologized and talked no further of my original point. Read the whole thing before you try to demonize me.

And I doubt MS will push the retail date forward, unless they don't mind abandoning their advertising campaign up to this point and double-timing production on the game itself.

AFAIK, they only sent out one: The gold disc.
No, there was only just one "gold disc' and it was sent out to the manufacturing plants, and its actually tapes. Bungie and MS had copies for themselves, testing, evaluation, and whatever. In the video on bungie.net, one of the guys in testing has two spindles full of them. It wouldn't be difficult to put a unique identifier somewhere in each disc if you're concerned about leaks, but it probably didn't even occur to them.

lots of you kids are being idiotic by your little thread dereail posts.
lol , what are you some sort of hero's?

thanks for the og poster posting this info .
I appreciate the news.

some of you have way to much time on your hands with 10+ posts in this thread. you should reevaluate your purpose in life.
and your wasteing of others time. if you really think people care about your opinion that much you should seek medical attention asap.

I doubt MS would really need to stick to the whole "Halo 2sday" shtick. Especially as they see potential profit spray like life-blood from their throat. :p Okay, that's a bit extreme and more of a joke.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if MS put the game out early and did a nice little PR spin about meeting consumer demand, etc.

Think about the commercial for that one...

Black screen becomes a huge explosion as Master Chief rides a flaming Covenant ship into the Camera. Cut to a background of Fire and the Halo 2 logo. A gruff announcer voice speaks... Merry Christmas Bitches. Halo 2, Available Now.

[quote name='thermal']lots of you kids are being idiotic by your little thread dereail posts.

I appreciate the news.
[/quote]

Meh, agreed.

Is it still leaking? How do we stop the leak? I have some duct tape. It's on sale now at Lowes, but not at Home Depot. Who wants a leaky game anyways? Maybe a Plumber would play it.......

[quote name='Goodtone']Is it still leaking? How do we stop the leak? I have some duct tape. It's on sale now at Lowes, but not at Home Depot. Who wants a leaky game anyways? Maybe a Plumber would play it.......[/quote]

How old are you?

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! fuckING AAAAAAAAHH!H!!!!! SOMEONE IS PLAYING THE GAME AHHHHH!!!!!!

ITS LEAKED, WERE ALL GONNA DIE!@!!!!!@#!$(^!*&^

This thread is homo-lisious......fan-boys, you're making the rest of us gamers look bad....STFU.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! shaq-fuing AAAAAAAAHH!H!!!!! SOMEONE IS PLAYING THE GAME AHHHHH!!!!!!

This thread is homo-lisious......fan-boys, you're making the rest of us gamers look bad....STFU.[/quote]

Wow don't remember inviting you to take a crap in this thread. If the thread is homo licious why jump in? squeaky wheel need some grease?

[quote name='thermal']lots of you kids are being idiotic by your little thread dereail posts.

I appreciate the news.

some of you have way to much time on your hands with 10+ posts in this thread. you should reevaluate your purpose in life.
and your wasteing of others time. if you really think people care about your opinion that much you should seek medical attention asap.[/quote]

maybe you should re-evaluate your third grade grammar text, "kid"

I've never understood why people think they need to come into threads about topics they don't like and give their whiny opinion. And of course there's the obligatory "use your time better" and "you should rethink your purpose in life cause you like something too much" which is always hilarious coming from ANOTHER poster on a VIDEOGAME FORUM.. I guess the internet just makes people stupid.

I have some duct tape, but not grease...
This Halo game is pretty cool....I like throwing the weapons on the ground and picking the pretty colored ones up and driving the 4 wheel drive Monster Jeep

Dimmu%208_jpg.jpg

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='Mookyjooky']OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! shaq-fuing AAAAAAAAHH!H!!!!! SOMEONE IS PLAYING THE GAME AHHHHH!!!!!!

This thread is homo-lisious......fan-boys, you're making the rest of us gamers look bad....STFU.[/quote]

Wow don't remember inviting you to take a crap in this thread. If the thread is homo licious why jump in? squeaky wheel need some grease?[/quote]

I've got the grease if you really want it that bad....but I only pitch.

bread's done
Back