Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Contrast is just now releasing on the One? I figured it came out soon after launch since there was a PS4 version and- a little later- a 360 version.

It's an awesome game with a great vibe, but can be beaten 100% in a few hours.

I could not care less about the Games with Gold.  My problem is with the Deals with Gold.  10 dollars off Ryse right now?  Wtf?  I was getting excited about all the digital sales especially when Thief/Tomb Raider both hit 30 bucks way back then; they come back with this shit?  No.  

I don't have an XB1 yet. On the topic of XB1 free games, I know it's subscription based, but how exactly does it work?

If I have Gold, I get the games free. -ok, got it

Qsts:

- Do I have to be online to play those games? Even single player ones? Seems like answer should be yes cuz how else would it know that I have Gold...

- I know we don't have access to those games if Gold expires. Let's say I have Max for free now, I let my Gold expire in July, I renew in Sept. I know I don't get the free games in July and August, but will I still be able to play Max which I got when I did have Gold?
Yes you need to be online as otherwise the system has no way of knowing if your account is still good. I believe PS+ does this differently and only requires a check-in to verify it but I guess Microsoft hasn't taken that route yet.

Yes, the games do require a subscription to download but if you download it then end your subscription and start it up again you'll be able to download and play any games you previously "bought".

[quote name="Daywalker" post="11877440" timestamp="1403896463"]I could not care less about the Games with Gold. My problem is with the Deals with Gold. 10 dollars off Ryse right now? Wtf? I was getting excited about all the digital sales especially when Thief/Tomb Raider both hit 30 bucks way back then; they come back with this shit? No. [/quote]
Yeah, they could definitely do better with the sales. And how about some permanent price drops on older games?

Wasn't Ryse on sale for $40 a few eek back? Why only $10 off now?

People get too defensive about the use of the word entitlement but in this instance it fits the bill to a T.
Actually, it doesn't. Entitlement presumes a right (or feeling of a right) to be given something. Because we are being given something here, it can't be entitlement; it would only be entitlement if we paid for the promised service and didn't get a game at all.

Not liking the offering is not entitlement. If I get a meal ticket and they only offer chicken, but I would like beef.. well, chicken is all that is on offer. Am I entitled to beef? Nope. But I would certainly prefer it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it doesn't. Entitlement presumes a right (or feeling of a right) to be given something. Because we are being given something here, it can't be entitlement; it would only be entitlement if we paid for the promised service and didn't get a game at all.

Not liking the offering is not entitlement. If I get a meal ticket and they only offer chicken, but I would like beef.. well, chicken is all that is on offer. Am I entitled to beef? Nope. But I would certainly prefer it.
I have no desire for this discussion to drag on for days on end. I'll say this, if more discussions were phrased in the manner which you described above then we wouldn't be having this same debate on a monthly basis (XBL and PS+ threads). I think we can all agree that constructive criticism is a positive thing but IMO that's not what's been happening.

Let's just say we agree to disagree.

I have no desire for this discussion to drag on for days on end. I'll say this, if more discussions were phrased in the manner which you described above then we wouldn't be having this same debate on a monthly basis (XBL and PS+ threads). I think we can all agree that constructive criticism is a positive thing but IMO that's not what's been happening.

Let's just say we agree to disagree.
Totally fine by me.. I'm not entirely sure we disagree about anything at all, though, which is also fine.

My hope is that the future of all this, on current and future systems, is a simple choice each month: Here, we have 2 or 3 games to choose from. Pick one. That would certainly take the 'sting' out of having previously purchased an offered game, if you had another option or two.

OR something like Audible subscriptions, where you get a token each month to choose any audiobook you want. MS and Sony can work out the details in the back room, I don't care. There would, quite frankly, be nothing to complain about. For anyone. (Okay, someone would still complain.)

And the debate is quite pointless - the important thing is for MS and Sony to know what we are and aren't happy with. Whether we want a bit more choice in the matter, like we can vote for deals over on Steam. We get them to listen here and there, it benefits us all.

I love how my complaints are only because Sony is my preferred console and has absolutely nothing to do with the actual issue at hand. smh Or maybe I'm pissed because I was deceived and reupped Gold for a year for the first time since 2009 based on Microsoft's continued deception and poor communication. And don't act like you all knew it was 1 game on the Xbox One, everyone was talking about how they matched PS+ and were guessing what "two" games would be coming next month. There are several other people in the thread not pleased who have nothing to do with the Sony threads so nice attempt at a deflection. Why don't you browse the web a little and you will see plenty of pissed off people. However it is funny that it is only the Microsoft fanboys that are the ones trying to justify this and continue to throw around the word "entitled." And for the record I would be just as pissed at Sony if they pulled this sleazy BS.

Also note: Guacamelee is not a new title, it's been out since last year on PC and PlayStation. That would be like playstation fans acting like PvZ Garden Warfare was a brand new title when it comes out on PS4 in August.
No everyone was talking about and assuming they matched PS+ I checked Microsoft's official press release and several other sites reporting on it but nowhere do I see it was set in the stone that they would offer two games. That being said you weren't "deceived" by any means so stop acting like a drama queen.

What's Guacamelee not being a new title have to do with anything? It's a new title for the Xbox One and plenty of people (Including myself) have never played it before. I just did a quick count and I noticed that 7 of the 12 PS4 games from PS+ were older releases previously released on other platforms first. I don't remember anybody complaining about that and frankly it's because it wasn't a big deal (And neither is this) so stop trying to make it one. Hell I noticed one of your posts in the PS4 sub-forum mentioning how Sony's never given away "New" release and usually release 1 year old games and you sounded fine with that. A quick Google search shows that Guacamelee is barely a year old so why hold the double standard against it? It's an opinion like that makes people look at you like a fanboy.

People complain at you because it feels like everyone time you have something negative to say you take a completely biased opinion against Microsoft, and you take that approach quite often. You say "The actual issues at hand here" but as I just explained there really isn't any case of deception going on here. Just a bunch of people who assumed nothing they didn't have the full details to and then got upset when they weren't given what they were never promised.

You've taken my post out of context so I'm not really going to respond other than to say I addressed Microsoft's press release and the problem with it in another post.  And Guacamelee being an older game is not the issue, it's that people are giving Microsoft a pass because it is a "new" game that is the issue.

Let's not get out of hand here, guys. We clearly all have different opinions on the offering and how it's done but I think we are at the point of beating a dead horse. I really enjoyed Max. Spartan Assault was just ok IMHO.

You've taken my post out of context so I'm not really going to respond other than to say I addressed Microsoft's press release and the problem with it in another post. And Guacamelee being an older game is not the issue, it's that people are giving Microsoft a pass because it is a "new" game that is the issue.
People are giving it a pass because it is new for us, improved over the original release, and we're not whiny bitches. That's a difficult perspective for you to understand, I know.

People are giving it a pass because it is new for us, improved over the original release, and we're not whiny bitches. That's a difficult perspective for you to understand, I know.
Must be easy to drink the green koolaid when you're getting free games from Microsoft to review for the Microsoft section of your website, I guess that would cause most to look the other way and have an agenda. Also real classy calling anyone who doesn't agree with Microsoft policy and messaging "whiny bitches," though I'm sure that was directed specifically at me, so I guess I should take your advice and report your post to the mods for a personal attack? But I guess that would indeed make me a whiny bitch wouldn't it?

Learned something new last night. If you're offline any achievements that you unlock will not unlock until the xbox is back online. This for some reason is really bugging me. I thought it was a glitch at first, I was playing ghost and collected all the intel, the achievement Audiophile was to come up but nothing happened. Went to xbox help on my phone and they have done this on purpose, for what reason is beyond me. So not only can you not view your achievements while offline but can't earn them as well, til it's online again.

Must be easy to drink the green koolaid when you're getting free games from Microsoft to review for the Microsoft section of your website, I guess that would cause most to look the other way and have an agenda. Also real classy calling anyone who doesn't agree with Microsoft policy and messaging "whiny bitches," though I'm sure that was directed specifically at me, so I guess I should take your advise and report your post to the mods for a personal attack? But I guess that would indeed make me a whiny bitch wouldn't it?
Advice* not advise.

Secondly you have every free right to report him if you feel that way, but I don't think threatening to moderator report someone makes you a much better person. I'm also not sure if that would be against the rules in itself......

Advice* not advise.

Secondly you have every free right to report him if you feel that way, but I don't think threatening to moderator report someone makes you a much better person. I'm also not sure if that would be against the rules in itself......
Thanks, corrected the spelling. Since you don't know the threads history you probably shouldn't comment, but here's a clue, it was a dig at something he said at the past, not a threat which should be pretty clear by the "take your advice" line that you corrected my spelling on. I have never and likely will never report a post to the mods, they watch these threads and will intervene when necessary.

Thanks, corrected the spelling. Since you don't know the threads history you probably shouldn't comment, but here's a clue, it was a dig at something he said at the past, not a threat. I have never and likely will never report a post to the mods, they watch these threads and will intervene when necessary.
Well I kind of wish they'd have intervened awhile ago....once again you've pushed the thread into another MS/Sony debate.

And you never even properly responded to my post. I pushed a bunch of complete facts as to why you're wrong and your argument is moot and you just brushed it aside. At this point I feel you're complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Well I kind of wish they'd have intervened awhile ago....once again you've pushed the thread into another MS/Sony debate.

And you never even properly responded to my post. I pushed a bunch of complete facts as to why you're wrong and your argument is moot and you just brushed it aside. At this point I feel you're complaining just for the sake of complaining.
I've not made this about Sony vs Microsoft at all and yes you posted a bunch of nonsense that was addressed in other posts which doesn't need to be addressed again. Anyway, I'm sure no one wants to watch us go back and forth so if you want to continue this lets take it to pm.

It's nice to see Microsoft finally updating Xbox.com but I feel like they still have a lot of work on hand. They need to make the Xbox One/360 Online store a lot better and bring it up to the level that the SonyEntertainmentNetwork store has achieved because right now it's a hot mess to navigate.

That being said I also think they need to work on a new app because the PS4's is far superior being able to chat with friends on the go, and buy games and have them downloaded.

Honestly I'm surprised Sony got the better of Microsoft in those two area's given that Microsoft's always been a software company they should have had everything ready for launch.

I have both and think the Xbox app is much better. I can chat with friends on smart glass, plus it has way more involvement with features in games. I can also turn it into a smart remote and watch my game clips seamlessly. The ps app is clunky as hell and doesn't have near as many features. I do agree there is no seamless action to access the ms/xbox one store as far as I can see, which is strange. I don't visit the respective websites so can't comment there.

Yeah I haven't used the PS4 App so I'm just going off of what I've heard. But it sounds convenient that you can use it away from home where as the Xbox One smartglass app requires you to be connected to the system.

One thing I really find odd is how Sony's store has everything intregrated together with all the platforms available for browsing, as well as Movies/TV. Microsoft still has everything separated with their Games, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and apps all in separate stores.

(Edit) I didn't see it previously mentioned on the site so I through it in the suggestion box if it peeks anybody's interest.

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251652-xbox-store/suggestions/6114239-offer-an-integrated-online-store-connected-with-xb

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="11881729" timestamp="1404063082"]Yeah I haven't used the PS4 App so I'm just going off of what I've heard. But it sounds convenient that you can use it away from home where as the Xbox One smartglass app requires you to be connected to the system.

One thing I really find odd is how Sony's store has everything intregrated together with all the platforms available for browsing, as well as Movies/TV. Microsoft still has everything separated with their Games, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, and apps all in separate stores.

(Edit) I didn't see it previously mentioned on the site so I through it in the suggestion box if it peeks anybody's interest.
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251652-xbox-store/suggestions/6114239-offer-an-integrated-online-store-connected-with-xb[/quote]
You just need to be connected over wifi to the system to control it. Everything else you can do without being connected to your console.

To prevent further arguments, I think it's time to stop discussing the PS4 in this thread.  I left discussion comparing the two here in the past, but it just leads to arguing and insults.

No more Playstation related posts.

Learned something new last night. If you're offline any achievements that you unlock will not unlock until the xbox is back online. This for some reason is really bugging me. I thought it was a glitch at first, I was playing ghost and collected all the intel, the achievement Audiophile was to come up but nothing happened. Went to xbox help on my phone and they have done this on purpose, for what reason is beyond me. So not only can you not view your achievements while offline but can't earn them as well, til it's online again.
Are you sure you are not doing something wrong? I got all my achievement offline without any problem.

Edit I guess this is a Xbox One problem?

My daughter wanted to play some co-op Garden Warfare and I forgot how fun that game is. I haven't played in long time so it was fun picking it up again. I think this might keep me entertained while I wait for Destiny. :)

So how do Gamer Pictures work? I decided to spruce up my profile and picked a new color of the month (Grey) changed my Avatar up a bit and my gamer picture. That being said I couldn't help but notice that every time I look at the selections it feels like they add more and more pictures. So are they actually adding more?

Next big feature I'm awaiting in a future update is Xbox Music background support. It'd be nice to be able to use it in the background without needing it to be snapped, as sometimes I like to listen to music while gaming on my PC.

App wise I'm hoping for a Spotify app, and I'm not 100% sure if it was originally an app or a game but I'd like them to reintroduce 1v100.

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="11883117" timestamp="1404100023"]Next big feature I'm awaiting in a future update is Xbox Music background support. It'd be nice to be able to use it in the background without needing it to be snapped, as sometimes I like to listen to music while gaming on my PC.

App wise I'm hoping for a Spotify app, and I'm not 100% sure if it was originally an app or a game but I'd like them to reintroduce 1v100.[/quote]
You can't just unsnap it and have it continue in the background like the party app? I never use it, but that seems like an oversight.

Aww, looks like I missed the party earlier. But it will be nice to do away with the constant Playstation comparisons.

Are you sure you are not doing something wrong? I got all my achievement offline without any problem.

Edit I guess this is a Xbox One problem?
That is how Achievements work on Xbox One. They are actually stored server side so they can't unlock unless you're connected to the Xbox Live servers. It is inconvenient for users who don't maintain an online connection, but actually integrating and testing Achievements is now much easier for developers, as I understand it.

don't you still earn them they just don't get put into gamer score until you connect to internet
I don't think they even pop while offline. The game or console remembers that you've completed the requirement, but it has to send that data to the server before you actually have the Achievement.

One example of how the new Achievement system is better overall is Crimson Dragon. The developers added some free new Achievements to the game last week, and they didn't have to release new DLC in order to do it. Not sure if they even updated the game or not - if not, it would have to either send general stats to the server or the server would have to just ask for them, and then you'd get the Achievements.

The achievements don't pop while offline. I'm hating this, MS told us we can use the xbox offline but they pull this and other things to make it where online at all times is a must.

Yeah, they DO NOT pop while offline.  If you connect they'll pop retroactively.  That does suck and I didn't even think of that when Spy mentioned he was unplugging.  Isn't it strange how important those stupid "Ker-Plunk!"s have become to the overall gaming experience?

You can't just unsnap it and have it continue in the background like the party app? I never use it, but that seems like an oversight.
Unfortunately you can't it just stops playback if you unsnap it. I'm not sure why they oversaw it because I don't know why they'd think I want the snapped image of the album cover taking up screen real estate.

Even more so control wise instead of switching between snapped apps to change songs one could just use Kinect commands to switch or pause music.

Oh shit, I hope not. Yeah that would suck even more as I'm quite the achievement goer. The secondary goals often coexists with my deeper game play and preferences; I like to get, which often relates to exploring, all I can, or experience, out of the game.

Can you use a hot spot from your phone to connect via wifi from time to time? For what it's worth, and no disrespect to the FatMan, I never heard about an offline limit.

Still, having achievements be online only is just stupid. A remnant of the pre-Spencer Xbox One.

Can you use a hot spot from your phone to connect via wifi from time to time? For what it's worth, and no disrespect to the FatMan, I never heard about an offline limit.

Still, having achievements be online only is just stupid. A remnant of the pre-Spencer Xbox One.
I know I read it somewhere, but I cant find the thread right now.

Yes you can use a hotspot. I used my note's mobile hotspot and it worked pretty well. No downloading or streaming, but you definitely could hop on to buy things on sale and download them at a later date or play a match or two online.

The Hotspot when connected with xbox does that eat alot of data? I have a 2gb plan but sharing between 3 lines so I don't have alot to spare. My first enjoyment is playing the game itself and the second is the achievement popping up. The way this is set up is discouraging players from exploring the levels or trying different things. In turn this could hurt the game reply ability.  

I'm not entirely sure. It might not use data in single player, but I only tested it to see if it worked as I need to use my phone as a hotspot at a friends house. I would see what kind of limits you have for using the phone as a hotspot. With my old contract with tmobile, I had unlimited data, but only 2 GBs of hotspot usage through my phone. Its worth a try, but check those limits on whatever carrier you use.

The Hotspot when connected with xbox does that eat alot of data? I have a 2gb plan but sharing between 3 lines so I don't have alot to spare. My first enjoyment is playing the game itself and the second is the achievement popping up. The way this is set up is discouraging players from exploring the levels or trying different things. In turn this could hurt the game reply ability.
In the same boat, have the 2 GB plan. Interesting, I would have never thought about the hot spot solution.

I want voice messaging.
You can't send voice messages? I've not tried since acquiring my system. What a joke. Many people don't have a USB keyboard or phone with Smartglass (though I do) to make typing easy.

No voice messaging and no support for Microsoft brand USB headsets (that work on PlayStation!) so you have to use the horrible headset included with the system or go buy a new one... what's the deal, Microsoft?

Saying nothing about the quality of games or XBL/PSN, I must state that it's absurd and somewhat embarrassing for Xbox to go from being leaps and bounds ahead of PlayStation during the 360/PS3 era regarding social features, to the situation now. PS4 is so much more user friendly when it comes to interacting with friends.

Ideally, both companies will steal each other's features and they'll become standard. But all these steps backward from the 360 to the One when Sony set a much higher bar with PS4's features... it saddens me.

Again, just talking about social features, so nobody get too crazy. ;-)

bread's done
Back