XBL DotW & Sales 2012 | 5/1 BF3 DLC (DotW) | More

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5106 replies to this topic

#5041 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

See, to me, that last statement means a lot because I loved Pub Games. I think I'm the only person in the world that can say they "loved" Pub Games. I'm a sucker for Lionhead, so I'm sure I'll buy Heroes eventually. Especially if it ties to Journey. I understand you can only unlock Gabriel by buying Journey, which seems kind of odd since that game is months away.

I didn't have a problem with the games contained in Pub Games, just that they wanted $10 for something that you could do inside of the retail game. As a companion to the game and a pre-order bonus I thought it was a good idea.

There seemed to be a few characters that were only unlockable if you have Fable The Journey. I don't think it said names, just showed silhouettes of them.

And I just played a bit of multiplayer. It was more fun with another human, but nothing significant. After playing 3 or 4 bosses now I can say despite them all looking different, fighting them is basically the same. My character unlocks seemed to carry over, but not my gold. I joined midway through a boss fight and collected about 1/30th of what I would have earned from the whole level, so I just had to sit there for 4 minutes during the upgrade screen while the host did his character and the two AI characters. I also didn't seem to be able to change my character. As far as I can tell you'd need to ask the host to go to the character select area to change. I didn't have a mic unfortunately.

I do think that the game uses the Fable license pretty well. The enemies and characters are all very familiar to anyone who played Fable 3 and Bowerstone looks like its old self.

#5042 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Which IP did you connect to? I can't connect to any of their HK IPs.

http://s1.wepn.info/

They have a tutorial that shows you how to actually set up a VPN, too. The way I physically set it up was similar to this, where I connected the Xbox via Ethernet to my laptop, and had my laptop connect wirelessly to my router.

#5043 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

People on twitter are saying that the new paid DLC for SSX has accidentally been made free via the in game menu. It's not on the dash or xbox.com. Check it out, it will probably require money soonish.

edit: Also seeing different reports about partial downloads and some not being able to download at all. It may be fixed or in the process of being fixed now.

Edited by louiedog, 01 May 2012 - 03:41 AM.

#5044 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

I read a few more reviews. It sounds like a solid mindless brawler. I still can't wait.

I also saw the Destructoid review but I haven't read a review there since they gave Bastion a 65 out of 100. At that point I just felt they sometimes drop bombs for page views. Bastion wasn't the best game ever but I don't know how you can consider it less than great. Not trying to start a shit fest, too much of that lately.

While I also disagree with that Bastion review, that's not a great reason to stop reading the site. Each site is made up of multiple reviewers, each with their own likes and dislikes. You may disagree with the Bastion reviewer but agree with or enjoy the other reviewers' opinions. Taking it a step further, I don't know anyone with identical tastes to me, so I wouldn't even write somebody off if they hated a game that I loved. I would certainly be more dubious when they panned a game, but I think reviews are more useful for teaching you about games rather than whether they are good or not (since that's entirely subjective).

is force vastly different from ontario tanegrams or whatever the US one is called?

Virtual On Force is better in some ways and worse in others. Movement and turning is stupidly slow, and surely the result of the game's director having some silly ideas and too much control (a common problem in Japanese game design). But four player battles are pretty neat. You can sort of level up your character's attack and defense with randomly-dropped crystals, which is a decent mechanic and makes the game easier as you go along. There are a ton of challenges (short missions with specific objectives) to do so the single-player/split-screen co-op length is pretty good. The graphics and sound are classic VO, and pretty despite their simplicity. The Achievements are easy. It's definitely worth a buy for Virtual On fans, but probably wouldn't convert new players.

Supposedly, yes. Force was made slower to accommodate four players, while VOOT was made for super-fast one-on-one duels.

As an aside, I was finally able to purchase Force. I tried setting up an HK VPN on my PC, and then it let me buy it no problem. It's downloading to my 360 with no trouble now, even though that's not on the VPN. Either way, it's a good application of Bing points, I'd say.

Glad you figured out how to do that! I'll have to ask you for help so I can get some more VPN games. Sad that VOF now requires a VPN though.

Yeah, because it's great being called a fanboy for pointing out this legitimate issue. The thing is that there were two people telling me that it was my TV with no attempt to help before a third popped up to finally give some details, which comes off as snarkiness to me and usually calls for snarkiness in return.

Maybe you were just having a bad day or something, but it really was an inappropriate reaction. We're all friends here, so let's not get pissy with each other.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#5045 Righteous Nixon

Righteous Nixon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

Obviously subjective scoring scales are inherently flawed and totally based on personal opinion.

So scoring scales that are based on subjective opinion are inherently flawed? How exactly did you arrive at that conclusion? Just because something is subjective doesn't automatically make it flawed, it just makes it subjective. Obviously there are such things as flawed opinions but opinions in general are not automatically flawed. If reviews or scoring scales were meant to be the definitive statement on such items then they would be inherently flawed but that is not the purpose of such scales. Reviews and scoring scales are nothing more than subjective guides.

As long as one looks at such scales or reviews in the proper manner....well, there is nothing inherently flawed about them. You may very well disagree with them but that doesn't make them inherently flawed after all, this is subjective opinion were talking about.

Anyways, I broke down and purchased Bloodforge and I have to say that I am rather enjoying it. The graphics aren't all that, the environments are rather small, there isn't a lot to explore, and the combat is relatively straight forward but for some reason, I am actually enjoying it. I don't think it should have been 1200 points but beyond that, I think its a fun game. I enjoy games like this from time to time, games you can just jump right into without any over complicated controls. Just a hack and slash with a basic story.

Edited by Righteous Nixon, 01 May 2012 - 04:26 AM.

#5046 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

I got an invite to get the code several weeks ago, but was not interested. I'll check it out later tonight. If It' still available you can have it.

I got him one sent. Anyone else? (I have like 3 more.)

#5047 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

http://s1.wepn.info/

They have a tutorial that shows you how to actually set up a VPN, too. The way I physically set it up was similar to this, where I connected the Xbox via Ethernet to my laptop, and had my laptop connect wirelessly to my router.

I've been at this all night and still can't get it to work. I don't have a laptop and no wifi in my PC. Tried connecting the Xbox wirelessly but it still stops at 99%. I just don't see why this is being such a pain. Region Free my fucking Fuck!

#5048 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

I'm putting my heart on an iron brigade sale.

Don't mean to be a pessimist, but I really don't think it's gonna happen during the Arcade NEXT promotion. On top of that, unless you have friends to play with or can find some randoms to go through the campaign with, I think you may be disappointed. I know I was with the single player offering.

So scoring scales that are based on subjective opinion are inherently flawed? How exactly did you arrive at that conclusion? Just because something is subjective doesn't automatically make it flawed, it just makes it subjective. Obviously there are such things as flawed opinions but opinions in general are not automatically flawed. If reviews or scoring scales were meant to be the definitive statement on such items then they would be inherently flawed but that is not the purpose of such scales. Reviews and scoring scales are nothing more than subjective guides.

As long as one looks at such scales or reviews in the proper manner....well, there is nothing inherently flawed about them. You may very well disagree with them but that doesn't make them inherently flawed after all, this is subjective opinion were talking about.

Anyways, I broke down and purchased Bloodforge and I have to say that I am rather enjoying it. The graphics aren't all that, the environments are rather small, there isn't a lot to explore, and the combat is relatively straight forward but for some reason, I am actually enjoying it. I don't think it should have been 1200 points but beyond that, I think its a fun game. I enjoy games like this from time to time, games you can just jump right into without any over complicated controls. Just a hack and slash with a basic story.

I only meant that, as you said, they're only inherently flawed as a tool to assign an absolute level of value to a game, because the value of a game is going to vary from person to person. I probably could have worded it better or explained myself a little bit better. I am very much in favor of game reviewers giving scores to games and that scores can be extremely useful when "looked at...in the proper manner".

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#5049 Namerson

Namerson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

While I also disagree with that Bastion review, that's not a great reason to stop reading the site. Each site is made up of multiple reviewers, each with their own likes and dislikes. You may disagree with the Bastion reviewer but agree with or enjoy the other reviewers' opinions. Taking it a step further, I don't know anyone with identical tastes to me, so I wouldn't even write somebody off if they hated a game that I loved. I would certainly be more dubious when they panned a game, but I think reviews are more useful for teaching you about games rather than whether they are good or not (since that's entirely subjective).

Yes while each site is made up of multiple reviewers Destructoid is the only gaming site I know that has one reviewer (Jim Sterling) doing at least 90% of the reviews. Even after the reviews for Bastion (6.5/10), Assassin's Creed 2 (4.5/10) and the Witcher 2 (6/10) I continued reading because I like getting the opinions of multiple reviewers. But after that whole Mario Kart 7 review in which he gave it a (5/10) claiming that the game is one of the worst of the series because it's more of the same - while also giving Modern Warfare 3 receives a 9.5 praising it being more of the same. Haven't visited their site since.
3DS Friend Code: 1203 - 9542 - 1648 (Remember to PM if you add me!)

How not to review a video game: http://blogs.wsj.com...s-to-cross-ove/

I don't consider QTEs gameplay. This "game" is about as deep as the mini games on a disney DVD.

#5050 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

If anyone wants a pretty in depth look at Jon Blow (Braid, The Witness) and a tough (and extremely LONG) read, check out this article from some site/magazine called "The Atlantic".

http://www.theatlant...ous-gamer/8928/

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#5051 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:09 AM

Yes while each site is made up of multiple reviewers Destructoid is the only gaming site I know that has one reviewer (Jim Sterling) doing at least 90% of the reviews. Even after the reviews for Bastion (6.5/10), Assassin's Creed 2 (4.5/10) and the Witcher 2 (6/10) I continued reading because I like getting the opinions of multiple reviewers. But after that whole Mario Kart 7 review in which he gave it a (5/10) claiming that the game is one of the worst of the series because it's more of the same - while also giving Modern Warfare 3 receives a 9.5 praising it being more of the same. Haven't visited their site since.

Jim Sterling is pretty much a douche, I'll admit. I like his Sonic reviews because of the time and thought he puts into them, but that's about it.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#5052 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

I only meant that, as you said, they're only inherently flawed as a tool to assign an absolute level of value to a game, because the value of a game is going to vary from person to person. I probably could have worded it better or explained myself a little bit better. I am very much in favor of game reviewers giving scores to games and that scores can be extremely useful when "looked at...in the proper manner".

Well, yeah, they're supposed to offer a perspective on the quality of the game that readers can use as a tool to better understand what they're potentially getting into.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#5053 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

Those are pathetic scores for all the games listed...but the witcher really stands out. How the Fuck can that game get less then a 9 on any site?!? It's fucking brilliant!

#5054 KyleGamgee

KyleGamgee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

If anyone wants a pretty in depth look at Jon Blow (Braid, The Witness) and a tough (and extremely LONG) read, check out this article from some site/magazine called "The Atlantic".

I read that. Fascinating. Recommend (LONG)

Also, I found out the hard way that the Hasbro Family Game night games are on sale for 1/2 price. Scrabble, Sorry, Connect 4, Yahtzee, etc.

The hard way was my 5-year old playing the demo for "Sorry! Sliders" and unlocking the game. I only had 750 points, so I wasn't sure how he did it. Sure enough the game was 400MSP instead of the usual 800MSP.

...and now I own Sorry! Sliders. =/

#5055 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

I want to know where my Wrestlefest is!

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 23 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#5056 DelicateWatkins

DelicateWatkins

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think what causes people to go for the pitchforks over Jim Sterling's reviews is that he actually grades on a scale from 1-10, in which 5-6 is average. Let's be honest, the vast majority of reviewers/magazines/websites grade on a 6-10 scale.

#5057 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

I've been at this all night and still can't get it to work. I don't have a laptop and no wifi in my PC. Tried connecting the Xbox wirelessly but it still stops at 99%. I just don't see why this is being such a pain. Region Free my fucking Fuck!

I'm not sure what to tell you, but if you read the link I posted, the guide said to disconnect the Xbox from the internet once the download hit 99% and download the last 1% through VPN, otherwise the Xbox won't let the download finish. Are you sure you don't have a way of connecting your Xbox to the internet through your PC (i.e. Xbox -> PC -> router)?

On the other hand, if you're already downloading it, does that mean you already bought it? Try checking your Storage, as the game might actually be on your HD, but your console is denying you access to it.

Not reading that. Braid really wasn't that good. It was a fun puzzler, but it didn't have much beyond that.

http://www.forbes.co...ve-video-games/

I think what causes people to go for the pitchforks over Jim Sterling's reviews is that he actually grades on a scale from 1-10, in which 5-6 is average. Let's be honest, the vast majority of reviewers/magazines/websites grade on a 6-10 scale.

Didn't he defend Mass Effect 3? I'm pretty sure that's enough to invalidate anyone's opinion on anything ever.

#5058 Sath666

Sath666

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Today's deals:

Virtual-On OT 1200-> 600

http://marketplace.x...10985?cid=SLink

Haunt 800-> 400

http://marketplace.x...10b34?cid=SLink

Guwange 800-> 400

http://marketplace.x...10a78?cid=SLink

NIN2-JUMP 400-> 200

http://marketplace.x...15-d80258410b25

#5059 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Nice, prolly grab Haunt and Nin2-JUMP.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#5060 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Those are pathetic scores for all the games listed...but the witcher really stands out. How the Fuck can that game get less then a 9 on any site?!? It's fucking brilliant!

I'd give it a 6 or a 7
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#5061 Sath666

Sath666

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Nice, prolly grab Haunt and Nin2-JUMP.

Nin2-Jump is worth at 200pts. Nice little game. Looks like nothing for me - maybe Virtual-On, but i don't know - i'm not a fan of these games. Still nice to see some games during Arcade Next promotion.

#5062 airco

airco

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

VOOT and Guwange sound great. Funny coincidence on the former being chosen as a deal, though.

#5063 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

...I'm putting my heart on an iron brigade sale.

...unless you have friends to play with or can find some randoms to go through the campaign with, I think you may be disappointed...

I'm up for some Iron Brigade. A friend of mine and I agreed to each pick one XBLA game and then buy our choice and the other guy's. His choice was Iron Brigade but he hardly ever plays it. So I'd be happy to play with someone.

I actually read that soon after it came out. I found that it made me dislike the guy. Although I did agree with some of his thoughts/ideas/statements, he just came off as a really arrogant and egotistical. I can seperate a creator from a creation and I'm totally fine with people doing their own thing but his portrayal in the article just rubbed me the wrong way.
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#5064 Antarael Dulacre

Antarael Dulacre

Royal Dhampire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Today's deals:

Virtual-On OT 1200-> 600

http://marketplace.x...10985?cid=SLink

Haunt 800-> 400

http://marketplace.x...10b34?cid=SLink

Guwange 800-> 400

http://marketplace.x...10a78?cid=SLink

NIN2-JUMP 400-> 200

http://marketplace.x...15-d80258410b25

Aw man Nin2Jump would have been the only thing I'm interested in..but i bought it during february 5% promotion as I thought it would never go on sale (still haven't started the game yet =/)

#5065 shivan128

shivan128

CAG at heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Picked up nin2jump and haunt, glad my 1 month sub finally paid off in the last week! Already have Guwange (and it's difficult!)

Edited by shivan128, 01 May 2012 - 12:33 PM.

edaa9c273976.png

My tradelist: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=301364

Currently Playing:  :vita: Dragon Fantasy book 2, :3ds: Link's Awakening, :360: DDP SDOJ, :ps3: Rocksmith 2014, :ps4: Dynasty Warriors 8

#5066 Rollobobo

Rollobobo

EAT SHIITAKE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hmmm...Haunt looks interesting, but I am assuming this is Kinect only right?!?

#5067 Felder71

Felder71

I am Iron Gland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Correct, and honestly, it would pretty pretty boring if it wasn't.
Posted Image

#5068 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'd advise trying the demo if you're thinking about it, you get a decent amount of time in it and you can check if you're going to have any Kinect jankiness.

I was borderline at 800 but for 400 I'll pick it up.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#5069 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Totally recommend Guwange & Nin2-Jump. I'm still deciding on Virtual On. I tried the demo long ago back when I originally got my 360, but I remember the controls were kind of hard to get used to.

Also, the Xbox Rewards deal for the month is spend 240 MSP on Music Add-Ons, get 80 MSP back.

Update: Coming to Xbox Marketplace blog post on Major Nelson's site. Strangely doesn't list the Japanese games on sale this week (Virtual On, both Cave games)

Edited by Zonic505, 01 May 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5070 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

I'll recommend Virtual On. It is hard to get used to the controls, but fun can be had with the game. Plus, it's a pretty easy 200/200 for those that care about achievements.

I stream on Twitch. At least two times a week. http://www.twitch.tv/jstryker416

JStryker416.png