$20 off Select titles in launch issue of @GAMER magazine (Best Buy) Just Dance Sale

nixmahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
43 (100%)
Just got the launch issue in the mail b/c I'm a Rewards Zone member.

Includes Best Buy $20 and $15 off coupons for

$20 off
Halo3 ODST:360:
Bioshock 2:360::ps3::pc:
Skate 3:360::ps3:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11:360::ps3::wii:
2010 Fifa World Tour South Africa:360::ps3::wii:

$15 off
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands:360::ps3:
Just Dance:wii:
AC2 :pc:

good for 6/24-7/31, Best Buy only

prices as of 7/26/10

:360: Halo ODST>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)
:360::ps3: Bioshock 2>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)
:pc: Bioshock 2>>>>>$29.99 (w/coupon-$9.99)
:360::ps3: Skate 3>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:360::ps3: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:360::ps3: 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:wii:2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)

:360::ps3: Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$24.99)
:wii: Just Dance>>>>>$29.99 (w/coupon-$14.99)
:pc: Assassin's Creed 2>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$24.99) ------------------------> GOOGLE DRM issues before buying

CAG's reporting they have not received a free copy. I use my RZ a lot for the deals and preordered Madden 11 a few days ago (they asked for my address and everything). It was my 1st preorder and thought it was standard procedure.

https://www.atgamermagazine.com/?h=488

Last edited by a moderator:
yea the magazine is meh... but i'm definately using the coupon for tiger woods 11. If anyone wants the other coupons from my issue, let me know.

I was actually impressed with the publication for a launch issue. Much better than GameInformer, every other page isn't advert in this magazine. I would like to see some proper reviews and not just previews though... But why would a retailer give potentially negative reviews to games they are selling. I will wait until the magazine gains a little bit of steam before i subscribe.

[quote name='yorksj']But why would a retailer give potentially negative reviews to games they are selling.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The whole thing is an advert.

I just got the magazine in the mail too. I'm hanging onto the Bioshock 2 and Prince of Persia coupons in case they go on sale, but the rest are up for grabs.

One per person, and I'll ask that you Paypal me the 44 cents for the stamp. Just PM me if interested, and I'll adjust this post as coupons are claimed.

Here's what's available:

$20 off
Halo3 ODST:360:
Skate 3:360::ps3:
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11:360::ps3::wii:
2010 Fifa World Tour South Africa:360::ps3::wii:

$15 off
Just Dance:wii:
AC2 :pc:

[quote name='Pookymeister']They said in the magazine that they won't have any negative reviews - only ones they think you should buy.[/QUOTE]
Guess they'll have nothing to review all year til Christmas then. What a fucking stupid idea.

sweet. just got my free copy in the mail. definitely will be getting ODST and bioshock 2. haven't read any articles, but overall look and feel is nice. but not subscribing to it.

Received it today in the mail. The look and style of the magazine is quite strong (not as good as the new EGM or even current Game Informer - better than Official Xbox or Official Playstation though). That said the reviews are an absolute joke and there isn't going to be any sort of legitimate commentary in this magazine - maybe a few decent exclusive previews and hopefully good coupons every week.

If anyone is considering putting money into subscribing to this, I'd look up the superb EGM reboot before I do that.

Might I suggest that the OP be updated with the correct MSRP of the games listed in the @Gamer magazine so that we know what the games will be lowered to with the coupons being used?

I'll help...

:360: Halo ODST>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)
:360::ps3: Bioshock 2>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)
:pc: Bioshock 2>>>>>$29.99 (w/coupon-$9.99)
:360::ps3: Skate 3>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:360::ps3: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:360::ps3: 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa>>>>>$59.99 (w/coupon-$39.99)
:wii:2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$19.99)

:360::ps3: Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$24.99)
:wii: Just Dance>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$24.99)
:pc: Assassin's Creed 2>>>>>$39.99 (w/coupon-$24.99)

[quote name='yorksj']I was actually impressed with the publication for a launch issue. Much better than GameInformer, every other page isn't advert in this magazine. I would like to see some proper reviews and not just previews though... But why would a retailer give potentially negative reviews to games they are selling. I will wait until the magazine gains a little bit of steam before i subscribe.[/QUOTE]

If you read the editor's initial little welcome article, he's basically offering an excuse as to why you won't see many negative reviews, playing it off like "we only have so much space so we're going to focus on games that are worth your time."

What a joke. They take up a TON of space with those stupid Will's take or so and so's take on a game...they're completely worthless and you can tell they were told to write to a "casual" audience, because nobody who boasts all that experience in videogame magazines is going to sound that shallow. Honestly, it looks like they were stretching for material to fill every page with something other than a long, boring, narrative preview. There were some pictures but very little variety. It was all the same type of article. Completely bored me to tears. I always keep my magazines around for bathroom use for at least a few weeks, I threw this one out after a day. I'd never choose this rag over Game Informer, Xbox Magazine, Nintendo Power or PS3 official mag. They're all head and shoulders above @gamer.

Yes, it's the first issue. But if that's what we're looking at each week, they can keep it. Not even close to being worth a subscription. $20 in coupons each week on prices that are severely overpriced is hardly worth it anyway.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']If you read the editor's initial little welcome article, he's basically offering an excuse as to why you won't see many negative reviews, playing it off like "we only have so much space so we're going to focus on games that are worth your time."

What a joke. They take up a TON of space with those stupid Will's take or so and so's take on a game...they're completely worthless and you can tell they were told to write to a "casual" audience, because nobody who boasts all that experience in videogame magazines is going to sound that shallow. Honestly, it looks like they were stretching for material to fill every page with something other than a long, boring, narrative preview. There were some pictures but very little variety. It was all the same type of article. Completely bored me to tears. I always keep my magazines around for bathroom use for at least a few weeks, I threw this one out after a day. I'd never choose this rag over Game Informer, Xbox Magazine, Nintendo Power or PS3 official mag. They're all head and shoulders above @gamer.

Yes, it's the first issue. But if that's what we're looking at each week, they can keep it. Not even close to being worth a subscription. $20 in coupons each week on prices that are severely overpriced is hardly worth it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Exactly right. I was shocked at how bad the content really is. Lots of ridiculous, over-the-top, splashy graphics and very little text. What is written is generally total fluff and sounds painfully like ad copy. For a shining example, see the review of Crackdown 2. Other than describing the multiplayer match types very briefly, there is no discussion of overall gameplay, control, graphics, sound, replayability, or even any substantial comparison to the first game (yes, seriously!). It's pretty obvious that Best Buy is counting on this title (among others) to carry sales through the summer doldrums. BS'ing a 90% rating on a game without any concrete evidence of why it's worthy of such a mark is shameful.

Oh, and here's a fun quote from their Super Mario Galaxy 2 "review": "The first Galaxy title showed off the Nintendo team's editorial prowess."... Um, what?

When it showed up in the mail my first question was, "What the heck is '@gamer' supposed to mean? Reminds me of the late 90s/early 00s when everyone was running to make their product/service/band/whatever sound somehow internet related. "At gamer"? Really?

Other than the coupons, the first issue is an utter waste of time. Considering that future issues are only expected to have roughly $20 in coupons (what, like 4 $5 coupons?), I see no point in wasting a dime on this rubbish.

[quote name='mistymayem']I think the @gamer is a twitter reference.[/QUOTE]

I thought about that (it's also what my wife said), but it still smacks of those early attempts at sounding techy/current/hip that we suffered through a decade ago. To the average consumer it's fairly meaningless. I just figure the average 10-year old could conjure up a more compelling title -- or at least one that sounds kinda nice when it hits your ears.

Great deals for those who don't own Bioshock 2, Halo 3: ODST, or POP: Forgotten Sands. I don't think I can pass on POP for $25.

[quote name='BWOzar']Received it today in the mail. The look and style of the magazine is quite strong (not as good as the new EGM or even current Game Informer - better than Official Xbox or Official Playstation though). That said the reviews are an absolute joke and there isn't going to be any sort of legitimate commentary in this magazine - maybe a few decent exclusive previews and hopefully good coupons every week.

If anyone is considering putting money into subscribing to this, I'd look up the superb EGM reboot before I do that.[/QUOTE]

This a weekly mag? I thought it was monthly. I didn't see weekly anywhere on it.

I'm guessing this will be a magazine I might buy in stores a couple times a years based solely on coupons. The content as previously said is rather laughable.

I dunno, I figure it's either going to end up free or go away completely. I can't imagine subscribing unless you get a further gaming discount. It's the kind of spineless reviewing where they don't say anything really bad about anything. The pretty layout and expensive paper don't detract from the fact that the king isn't wearing any clothes.

[quote name='BWOzar']If anyone is considering putting money into subscribing to this, I'd look up the superb EGM reboot before I do that.[/QUOTE]

Excellent! Well, that was my question a few days ago, and that's exactly what I've done! can't wait for my first issue of EGM :)

[quote name='JaylisJayP']If you read the editor's initial little welcome article, he's basically offering an excuse as to why you won't see many negative reviews, playing it off like "we only have so much space so we're going to focus on games that are worth your time."
[/QUOTE]

LOL! Uh huh.

What surprises me isn't that Best Buy would do this, but that Future is willing to sink so low. I mean it doesn't reflect well on them...

[quote name='Wolfpup']

What surprises me isn't that Best Buy would do this, but that Future is willing to sink so low. I mean it doesn't reflect well on them...[/QUOTE]

Magazine publishing is a rough business. If Best Buy comes along with a bunch of cash, they probably HAD to take it.

You use these things to fund your magazines with actual editorial integrity. Given the choice between "sinking so low" and closing up shop, I'd take the former too. Plus, most people don't make any connections on the publisher, just the name of the magazine.

[quote name='BWOzar']If anyone is considering putting money into subscribing to this, I'd look up the superb EGM reboot before I do that.[/QUOTE]

What, exactly, is "superb" about the new EGM? The fact that they changed everything? The fact that it reads like VH1 instead of MTV? The fact that they don't really seem to address how different they've made the mag?

If you ask me, the magazine is better off the further it moves from its obnoxious, MTV, bad-ass-wannabe attitude. In that respect, you could say the magazine is now BETTER... but superb? I don't know...:roll:

Game Informer is my favorite console magazine by far right now (well, until I get my first issue of EGM at least-haven't seen it yet).

Who reads vg mags these days anyway? The content is based on info that is months already. Much better up to date info is available online. I only read Game Informer when I am on the can and I forget my iPhone.

I would like to be one of the lucky ones to get this free issue. Bioshock 2 for $20 sounds good to me. But if I dont get it, I wont be whining about it. I will wait for the inevitable drop in a few months.

Why would anyone bother subscribing to magazines anymore now a days? If you have an internet connection you can see and read more for free than any magazine can show you. Only if you get something free or the magazine is a add-on (Gameinformer) would it be worthwhile.

Got mine in the mail today, even though I chewed Best Buy out last week and told them to cancel my Reward Zone and to go ** themselves.

If anyone wants a coupon I will mail it to you. The only one I am keeping is Tiger Woods. Send me a PM.

I also wonder if it's possible to tear the coupon out of the magazines at BB.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I'm guessing this will be a magazine I might buy in stores a couple times a years based solely on coupons. The content as previously said is rather laughable.[/QUOTE]

My fav part of the magazine is the "What's not so Great" points for Crackdown 2.

-At some point, the game will end and you'll be done
-In September, Halo: Reach will come out, which is great on it's own, but not for those who want to keep playing Crackdown 2.

[quote name='Pookymeister']-At some point, the game will end and you'll be done[/QUOTE]
fuckING SPOILERS! This is a joke mag, right? Like Cracked or Mad?

[quote name='Pookymeister']My fav part of the magazine is the "What's not so Great" points for Crackdown 2.

-In September, Halo: Reach will come out, which is great on it's own, but not for those who want to keep playing Crackdown 2.[/QUOTE]

yeah I take back what I said earlier about the legitimacy of the mag. Thats pretty weak.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I guess ever since PC Accelerator died many moons ago most gaming magazines are meh. Game Informer is all right, I guess.[/QUOTE]

I REALLY miss PC Accelerator...

This doesn't feel like an informative magazine. It seems more like glorified advertising. Every one of their "reviews" was 3/5 or higher. After all, they can't bash a game since they're trying to sell it, right?

[quote name='Indiana Jones']This doesn't feel like an informative magazine. It seems more like glorified advertising. Every one of their "reviews" was 3/5 or higher. After all, they can't bash a game since they're trying to sell it, right?[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way. Just got back from a Tennessee yesterday and i saw i got my issue while i was gone. I skimmed a few reviews and noticed their "So-n-so says:" sections seemed very..childish.

Idk..i'm happy i got a freebie issue, but I enjoy my $15 Gameinformer subscription

[quote name='skubish']Who reads vg mags these days anyway? The content is based on info that is months already. Much better up to date info is available online. I only read Game Informer when I am on the can and I forget my iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Me! *raises hand* I've gone the other direction. I hardly ever go to game sites anymore, except usually through Gamerankings or the like if I'm looking for reviews. I get the vast majority of my info from magazines and the Giant Bombcast. I just like the format a lot more for a lot of reasons. I went from checking game sites multiple times a day every day to zero over the past decade...I basically don't visit ANY sites anymore, just use my RSS reader for a handful.

[quote name='Pookymeister']My fav part of the magazine is the "What's not so Great" points for Crackdown 2.

-In September, Halo: Reach will come out, which is great on it's own, but not for those who want to keep playing Crackdown 2.[/QUOTE]

That's hilarious. I thought for sure you were joking about that at first. I mean okay, honestly if Crackdown 2 is as good as the first one I could see saying something like that for a really great game, but I'm guessing this is just they're not allowed to say anything bad.

[quote name='msriflegirl']I REALLY miss PC Accelerator...[/QUOTE]

Another old PC Accelerator fan :applause: that magazine was one of the few I had to read cover to cover. I wish I still had my old ones *sob* :( (wait I think I still have the final all black one in storage). It's shame that when everyone moved onto other magazines they lost their creative fire.

http://arstechnica.com/etc/games/2000/gars-05282000.html

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]First let me say that PC Accelerator's editorial staff had balls. Yes, even the lovely Gia Decarlo (hi baby) who peered at me from her staff photo in every issue, with a longing that broke my heart, had balls. Plus, she wanted me. Bad.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]But that's not the only reason I’m sad to see this magazine go down, biting the bullet of corporate mediocrity.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]So they didn’t sell ads like the big boys at PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World. Who gives a shit!? They wrote such killer articles, and such piercing humor, that my ribs hurt from laughing by the time I read my way to the back cover. And their coverage of gaming was always on par with, or sometimes well above, the competition. That’s what is making me so mad that I could, I could, I could just swear. "Golly Molly on the Trolley!"[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]I loved it. I simply loved it. They were so irreverent, cutting edge and brazenly unashamed to make a parody of the industry in which they worked, that nobody understood them. Well, their fans did, but unfortunately that wasn’t enough. And damn it, they loved games. They embraced everything about gaming from its highs to its lows. They weren’t afraid to expose the slimy underbelly of the industry nor were they timid about giving kudos to the competition when it was deserved.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Okay, in closing I want to try and crystallize the thoughts of this rambling rant. PC Accelerator innovated. They innovated so much that it was scary. What people are afraid of they destroy. PC Accelerator was destroyed. It’s sad but it’s irreversible. They took chances the way other geniuses in past have. I liken them to the Monty Python troupe. At first everyone looked at them and said “They’re nuts! What the hell is this silly walk thing all about?” But look at the Pythons now. Venerated as comic geniuses, as I know PC Accelerator will be remembered. It's too bad that magazines cannot come back as reruns. Goodbye PC Accelerator. Good luck to you all. We will miss you.[/FONT]

@Gamer I will purchase in stores if it has good coupons.

[quote name='themidnighter23']HOORAY, MY COPY CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY!

now what?[/QUOTE]

Wait for bioshock 2 and halos 3 odst to drop more

[quote name='themidnighter23']HOORAY, MY COPY CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY!

now what?[/QUOTE]

Read it? Burn it? Make sweet love to it?

Both coupons scanned at the they are at right now. $20 for Halo ODST and BS2. I did not try the CE because I don't need it.

I pretty much agree with everyone here. When I got the thing I looked through it and laughed at the horrible writing and fake reviews. I showed it to my wife, who noticed that none of the reviews were less than 3 stars. Apparently no video game sold at best buy is ever bad. So pretty quickly I ripped the coupon page out and threw away the magazine.

The folks working on this magazine are going to be losing their jobs pretty quickly as this thing is pretty terrible and will sell horribly.

FWIW, the Best Buy marketing email that I got earlier this week claims that the September issue will contain "at least $80 in coupons".

Hahah the mag is pretty weak, as has already been posted. That being said, you can't argue with free, or with free coupons. If anyone needs a coup PM me, I can probably mail or scan em for ya.

Surprised no one has made a thread for this, so I just wanted to make sure the word got out.

Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands :360: :ps3: has had a universal price drop to $39.99. Add the $15 off coupon that is in the premier issue of Best Buy's @Gamer magazine, and you can buy it for $24.99. Coupon is good until 7/31.

Peace!

bread's done
Back