2010 World Cup Netherlands vs Spain

Hell, nobody knows what the ref called on that play. I was watching the game on Univision and the commentators have no idea why the ref blew the whistle.

Complete bullshit call. I hope England beats the shit out of Slovenia in their next match, I wasn't impressed by them in their 1st game against Algeria and they definitely didn't do much at all against the US. They're probably the luckiest team in this world cup sofar.

When does fifa put in instant replay? I hope the media, fans and everybody else forces them after that game.

Bullshit Handball call that goes off the cheek of a U.S. player when the U.S. had the ball 5 feet away from the goal.

Bullshit foul call against the wrong team when the U.S. should have taken a 3-2 lead with hardly anytime in the game to go.

Great game by the US. I think the foul was on Bocanegra holding a defender. None of the analysts have mentioned it yet.

[quote name='wildcpac']When does fifa put in instant replay? I hope the media, fans and everybody else forces them after that game.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on instant replay. As long as Sepp Blatter (FIFA President) and all the other old school dinosaurs keep running the business it ain't gonna happen.

[quote name='-GoodFella-']I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on instant replay. As long as Sepp Blatter (FIFA President) and all the other old school dinosaurs keep running the business it ain't gonna happen.[/QUOTE]
This...

The only comforting thought is that usually only the semi-good refs will do the important games (second round and such), but by then the crappy refs have done a lot of damage.

[quote name='wildcpac']When does fifa put in instant replay? I hope the media, fans and everybody else forces them after that game.
[/QUOTE]

How much influence do you think the US media and fans have over FIFA? I'll give you a clue: It's considerably less than you seem to be hoping.

Yeah, if the Henry handball that got France in didn't do much to lead to serious talks of having instant replay, no way this will.

well, the US will need to beat algeria and hopes that england beats algeria and slovenia. then we can sneak out of the group still. if england draws with either team, especially slovenia, our chances go down dramatically.

The US is still in pretty decent position to advance out of the group. Assuming both the US and England beat Algeria, as they should, a decision either way in the Slovenia-England game would advance the US (I believe). They just have to do their part and put a good solid whooping on Algeria to help with the tie-breakers in case England and Slovenia draw.

Currently both the US and Slovenia have 3 goals, so for example an England win over Algeria and then a 1-1 England-Slovenia tie coupled with a 2-0 or 2-1 win for the US over Algeria would be enough to advance them.

Really not in terrible shape at all.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']well, the US will need to beat algeria and hopes that england beats algeria and slovenia. then we can sneak out of the group still. if england draws with either team, especially slovenia, our chances go down dramatically.[/QUOTE]

England-Slovenia draw is fine.

That would put the standings at:

Slovenia-4
US-2
England-2
Algeria-1

So that would mean the US can get to 5 with a win over Algeria and finish no worse than second. Tie between England and Slovenia would put SLV at 5 and England at 3. English win over SLV would put them at 5 and SLV at 4. SLV win over England would put them at 7, England at 2--in that case even a tie with US and Algeria would move us on as we'd have 3 points to Algeria and England's 2.

So a tie today between Algeria and England is the best outcome as it gives the most scenarios for US to move on--here are standing scenarios assuming Algeria-England tie today and US beating Algeria next Wednesday.

Slovenia-England Tie

Slovenia-5
US-5
England-3
Algera-1

Slovenia Beats England

Slovenia-7
US-5
England 2
Algeria-1

England Beats Slovenia

England-5 (1st place down to goal differential)
US-5
Slovenia-4
Algeria-1

I think we should be working under the assumption that England will beat Algeria, since that's the most likely outcome. The bottom line is this: If the US beats Algeria, they have a very good chance of advancing, moreso if they score multiple goals in doing so.

[quote name='bvharris']I think we should be working under the assumption that England will beat Algeria, since that's the most likely outcome. The bottom line is this: If the US beats Algeria, they have a very good chance of advancing, moreso if they score multiple goals in doing so.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

England wins and the standings are:

England-4
SLV-4
US-2
Algeria-0

So that puts the following Scenarios in play--assuming a US win over Algeria.

England beats SLV

England-7
US-5
SLV-4
Algeria-0

SLV Beats England

SLV-7
US-5
England-4
Algeria-0

England and SLV tie

England-5
SLV-5
US-5
Algeria-0

So all down to goal differential in the tie, US moves on otherwise.

For shits and giggles, if Algeria somehow beats England, the standings would be:

SLV-4
Algeria-3
US-2
England-1

And the scenarios (again assuming US win over Algeria) would be:

England beats SLV

US-5
SLV-4
England-4
Algeria-3

SLV Beats England

SLV-7
US-5
Algeria-3
England-1

England and SLV tie

US-5 (1st down to goal differential)
SLV-5
Algeria-3
England-2

So the US largely holds its own fate--beat Algeria and we almost definitely move on. Only problem is if England wins today and then ties Slovenia as we could end up 3rd depending on goal differential.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Instant replay for soccer is never going to happen.

Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

they are same as baseball people, so it will not happen

[quote name='dmaul1114']
So the US largely holds its own fate--beat Algeria and we almost definitely move on. Only problem is if England wins today and then ties Slovenia as we could end up 3rd depending on goal differential.[/QUOTE]

I believe goals scored is the first tie-breaker, so depending on how many England scores today the US would be in much better shape if they put up 2 or 3 on Algeria.

Wow, after that first half, the U.S. shouldn't count on England for anything. The English look like a bunch of fat dinosaurs slumbering about on the field. They've shown zero creativity and Algeria looks more exciting on the attach.

[quote name='dragonjud']Wow, after that first half, the U.S. shouldn't count on England for anything. The English look like a bunch of fat dinosaurs slumbering about on the field. They've shown zero creativity and Algeria looks more exciting on the attach.[/QUOTE]
:lol:

[quote name='dragonjud']Wow, after that first half, the U.S. shouldn't count on England for anything. [/QUOTE]

US doesn't need to count on them as long as they can beat Algeria next Wednesday.

England ties or loses today, US moves on with a win over Algeria.

England win today, and US could still get left out if they beat Algeria and England/SLovenia tie next week as it would be a 3 way tie at the top with all 3 teams having 5 points and thus come down to tie breakers.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']dammit england score a goal already[/QUOTE]

Huh? Is the ESPN2 feed not live? Still 0-0 in the 55th minute.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Huh? Is the ESPN2 feed not live? Still 0-0 in the 55th minute.[/QUOTE]

He's imploring them to score, not saying they did. It's still 0-0.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']on second thought, a tie might be best for us. dont score england![/QUOTE]

With either a tie here or an Algeria win, the US would advance if they beat Algeria.

So much for your "EASY" group, Brits. :D

US controls their own destiny.
sunworldcupcover.jpg

[quote name='bvharris']So much for your "EASY" group, Brits. :D

US controls their own destiny.
sunworldcupcover.jpg
[/QUOTE]

the boo birds are out now.

Ally McCoist put it best. England is a collection of great players but a terrible team. disappointing to see Gerrard and Carra play like shit. They are my two favorites on Liverpool and its disgusting to see them look like ghosts.

and yes the US now can run their own destiny and they have a ton of momentum..and if the US beats Algeria it pretty much puts them in the next round.

[quote name='integralsmatic']
and yes the US now can run their own destiny and they have a ton of momentum..and if the US beats Algeria it pretty much puts them in the next round.[/QUOTE]

No pretty much about it. Win and move on.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']thatd be wild if slovenia and the us move on. anyone who says they called that is lying.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure anyone would have called a result which didn't include England moving on.

My gut is still that it will be England and the US, which is what I thought from the outset.

It would be wildly entertaining to see the US advance and not the Brits though. Wildly.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm not sure anyone would have called a result which didn't include England moving on.

My gut is still that it will be England and the US, which is what I thought from the outset.

It would be wildly entertaining to see the US advance and not the Brits though. Wildly.[/QUOTE]

i think most people had england and the us moving on, and theres still a very good chance of that happening. im just glad that i have wednesday off work.

US is in pretty good shape now. Win and they move on. Can even move on with a tie, but that would depend on tie breakers etc.

So scenario is:

Beat Algeria=move on.

Tie Algeria and Slovenia beats England=Move on.

Tie Algeria and England beats Slovenia=go home

Tie Algeria and England ties Slovenia==comes down to tie breakers between US and England. Both at 0 goal differential currently, US has 3-1 advantage on goals scored which is the next tie breaker.

Must say this game was very dull. Algeria never tried anything which only made it worse. My boy Gerrard didn't do much positive this game.

[quote name='bvharris']How much influence do you think the US media and fans have over FIFA? I'll give you a clue: It's considerably less than you seem to be hoping.[/QUOTE]

Or you could compare it to the USA population to the population that actually cares about soccer.

They need better refs for the match play it just ridiculous, the ref handed out 8 yellow cards in the Serbia v. Germany game and the horrible call on USA; the ref is from Mali where they obvious play big matches all the time. I hope his isn't chosen for the elimination rounds, if so I feel sorry for the two nations facing each other.

That was a crazy and surprising day of games. I just hope the US can put that blown call behind them and get their minds right to destroy Algeria.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Must say this game was very dull. Algeria never tried anything which only made it worse. My boy Gerrard didn't do much positive this game.[/QUOTE]

coming from a Liverpool Fan..it was disappointing to see Gerrard and Carra's play. They were non-factor all day.

again, england is just a collection of great players but cant play together as a TEAM. Its what Algeria did today. Sure Algeria didnt score but they didnt let England beat them. Props to Algeria.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Or you could compare it to the USA population to the population that actually cares about soccer.

They need better refs for the match play it just ridiculous, the ref handed out 8 yellow cards in the Serbia v. Germany game and the horrible call on USA; the ref is from Mali where they obvious play big matches all the time. I hope his isn't chosen for the elimination rounds, if so I feel sorry for the two nations facing each other.[/QUOTE]

Right, this only happens every 4 years you would think that is plenty of time to pick the most legit refs.

That england game was SO hard to watch, they have no chemistry at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a long morning), but I think there's 5 situations where Germany could advance to the next round:

• Germany Wins/Australia Wins (Germany in 1st)
  • Germany Wins/Serbia Wins (Germany in 1st - barring a lopsided victory from Serbia)
  • Germany Wins/Australia and Serbia Draw (Germany in 1st)
  • Germany and Ghana Draw/Australia Wins (Germany tied for 2nd, advances due to GD - barring a lopsided victory from Australia)
  • Germany and Ghana Draw/Australia and Serbia Draw (Germany tied for 2nd, advances due to GD)

If that's right, then Germany seem to be in control of their own destiny. Not having Klose is going to sting, but the second half of the Germany v. Serbia game showed me that they can definitely pull off a win against any team in this group (oh, and having an 11th man for a majority of the game would be nice). Normally, I'd be very confident about their chances, but this is a young team without Ballack and now Klose - two huge parts of the national team.

If we get another ref like the Spaniard from Friday, I'm going to pull my hair out.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a long morning), but I think there's 5 situations where Germany could advance to the next round:

• Germany Wins/Australia Wins (Germany in 1st)
  • Germany Wins/Serbia Wins (Germany in 1st - barring a lopsided victory from Serbia)
  • Germany Wins/Australia and Serbia Draw (Germany in 1st)
  • Germany and Ghana Draw/Australia Wins (Germany tied for 2nd, advances due to GD - barring a lopsided victory from Australia)
  • Germany and Ghana Draw/Australia and Serbia Draw (Germany tied for 2nd, advances due to GD)

If that's right, then Germany seem to be in control of their own destiny. Not having Klose is going to sting, but the second half of the Germany v. Serbia game showed me that they can definitely pull off a win against any team in this group (oh, and having an 11th man for a majority of the game would be nice). Normally, I'd be very confident about their chances, but this is a young team without Ballack and now Klose - two huge parts of the national team.

If we get another ref like the Spaniard from Friday, I'm going to pull my hair out.[/QUOTE]

cant be any worse than the malin ref for the US.

Im sure Germany will be fine. It just means Gomez/Podolski will have to pick it up.

bread's done
Back