2013 MLB Discussion

[quote name='GhostShark']You're going to lead the league in double plays when you have Micheal Young on your team.[/QUOTE]

You got that right. I don't know the individual stats, but Revere and Young have to have the most GIDP on the team. Howard doesn't help either when he hits it into the shift with a man on first. Young has been pretty good though, his 3B defense isn't as bad as I expected, but unfortunately his hits don't come when we need them.

Hey Everyone - Xbox LIVE is offer everyone free MLB.TV games this weekend. You can now watch out-of market games even if you don't have subscribe to it.

[quote name='Methoes']Hey Everyone - Xbox LIVE is offer everyone free MLB.TV games this weekend. You can now watch out-of market games even if you don't have subscribe to it.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I'd urge everyone who lives out of market from their favorite team to check it out, the service has come a long way in the last few years. The only remaining annoyance are the blackout restrictions, but they're mostly a mild inconvenience. I definitely feel like I get my money's worth out of the subscription.

Yeah, it's definitely worth it. $130 for 6 months of 10+ games almost every day. It's a steal compared to the NFL and NBA packages. This is my first year of having it, and I can say I'll definitely get it again next year.

[quote name='tcrash247']I think Utley will be ok, he's the only consistently hitting bright spot we have. They need to stop grounding into double plays, they lead the NL with 23. Watching them get no runs when they have 1st and 3rd with no outs the past 2 games is fucking painful.[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to see Utley in pinstripes in July.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Yeah, it's definitely worth it. $130 for 6 months of 10+ games almost every day. It's a steal compared to the NFL and NBA packages. This is my first year of having it, and I can say I'll definitely get it again next year.[/QUOTE]

Also includes full access on the mobile phone apps for free, which is normally $20 per app to get everything but the MLB.tv access.

Also beware the FOX Saturday games and the ESPN Sunday Night game is blacked out also.

[quote name='GhostShark']Would he DH? I have a hard time seeing where he would fit on the field for the Yankees.[/QUOTE]

First base/DH. Wrist injuries are harsh, you can't rely on Teixera on comming back and producing well. One of Youk/Hafner is sure to be injured by July. I dunno if he has an arm for 3B though.

Besides, an aging vet who's a free agent after October? Cashman bait written all over it.

[quote name='tcrash247']No please.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, we'll take on Halladay's contract too :)

Hmmm, kinda hard to say a team "really gave it to" another team when they didn't even sweep the series, and all the games were close. The Yankees were rolling out pretty anemic lineups. The real story would have been if the Rays didn't win the series.

[quote name='HornyPony']Don't worry, we'll take on Halladay's contract too :)[/QUOTE]

Take Howard as well and we got a deal. I'd really like Utley to retire a Phillie, he's been my favorite player on the team.

I'm loving the free MLB.tv off Xbox LIVE... watching the O's killing the A's.
Now just need my M's to start a winning streak going...!!!

I hope Tepesch can keep it up. The fifth starter is what killed the Rangers last year and cost them the division. I read he has like a 14 -1 strikeout to walk ratio which is great. Kid seems to be up to the task and makes me glad I dont have to watch Feldman or Oswalt go out and put up an L.

I want to pay MLB directly to watch my local teams, but they won't let me do it. I only have mild interest in out of market teams. I have watched a few of the games of the day, though. I will definitely check out more this weekend since it's free.

Also I wish they'd add the features they have in their iPad app to the Xbox app. The Xbox app lets you watch games fine, but you don't get the awesome pitch location, stats, etc, that you can slide in/out of the screen on the iPad. Hmm... or does it support Smartglass for this? I didn't think to try that....

In southern Indiana where I'm at, I'm blacked out from Reds, Cubs, and White Sox games. I feel sorry for the state of Iowa. They're blacked out from six teams (Cubs, Brewers, Royals, Twins, Cardinals, White Sox). I think Las Vegas is also blacked out from six teams (Angels, Dodgers, Giants, A's, Padres, and Diamondbacks).

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I hope Tepesch can keep it up. The fifth starter is what killed the Rangers last year and cost them the division. I read he has like a 14 -1 strikeout to walk ratio which is great. Kid seems to be up to the task and makes me glad I dont have to watch Feldman or Oswalt go out and put up an L.[/QUOTE]

I like what both he and Grimm have done. Tepesch especially; he works quick and gets a lot of ground balls. However, this is gonna be a problem once Colby, Harrison and Feliz come back. I think you can bank of Tepesch and Grimm being moved to AAA or the bullpen and occasionally spot starting when someone needs rest.

[quote name='GhostShark']I like what both he and Grimm have done. Tepesch especially; he works quick and gets a lot of ground balls. However, this is gonna be a problem once Colby, Harrison and Feliz come back. I think you can bank of Tepesch and Grimm being moved to AAA or the bullpen and occasionally spot starting when someone needs rest.[/QUOTE]

If they keep going the way they are going, they aren't going to AAA. They are going to be Rays or Marlins.

I really am happy with how Utley is playing. I'd really love to see him retire with the team similar to how Pat Burrell did. He's done so much good for the city of Philadelphia and he's been such a great player while he's been healthy. I really don't expect the hot streak to end though... just being a realist.

Red Sox are now 10-0 in games started by Lester and Buchholz. That's a recipe for success. The speed with which the new staff has been able to get those two sorted out and back to pitching up to their talent level is truly impressive.

[quote name='tcrash247']Take Howard as well [/QUOTE]

Point taken.

My AVG/OBP/OPS + HR/SB H2H Fantasy team is raking. In the process of trading Hamilton and Espinosa for Crawford and Dunn, hope it does not get vetoed. The only stat that I'm lacking is SB - Crawford should get plenty of those if he stays healthy.

Meanwhile, my CAG team is terrible. I'm on pace to lose my 4th consecutive week.

[quote name='HornyPony']Harvey is pitching against Miami on Monday. Anybody wants to call a no-hitter? Anyone?[/QUOTE]

i would totally buy in to that if the defense wasn't so inconsistent.

Man, I wish the Red Sox could play the Astros every day. That was as relaxing a four-game sweep as I can remember. Welcome to the AL guys, come back soon! :D

Would be even sweeter if the Yankees or Orioles could be bothered to lose at some point. This division is pretty damned good this year, even with the Rays and Jays scuffling.

You got your Orioles loss. :( Maybe the Astros can come visit us now. :)

Also, the free MLB.tv weekend on Xbox was great, but made me realize the blackouts are even worse than I thought - no Saturday day games at all, any teams? Ridiculous.

Braves are really struggling after there hot start. At least two out of Heyward, Uggla and BJ Upton need to get it going offensively.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']You got your Orioles loss. :( Maybe the Astros can come visit us now. :)

Also, the free MLB.tv weekend on Xbox was great, but made me realize the blackouts are even worse than I thought - no Saturday day games at all, any teams? Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I don't recall all Saturday games being blacked out, but typically I'm out and not watching ball games on Saturdays. MLB.tv is a great deal if your team is out of your region (Reds are my team, I live in Philly, for instance) or if you watch a fuckton of baseball.

Also, it's far cheaper ($99) than NHL or NFL's options, which are far too much, especially given their lockouts and infrequent games (more NFL's problem than NHL's).

So you get 6.5 days of baseball games, given the blackouts. With that in mind, it may have been a strategic blunder to offer a free weekend that incidentally highlights a half-day blackout. :lol: oops.

There was also a complete blackout on Sunday, but I forget when it said it was. I wasn't around Sunday so didn't firsthand experience it. I didn't get the impression that it was just this past weekend, but every weekend. It said they are blacked out due to network obligations or something or other like that. I could watch the night games on Saturday, but nothing during the day.

ohhhh, right. 1-8pm blackout. d'oh.

was able to watch reds/nats yesterday just fine in the afternoon, though. maybe if it's an ESPN/WGN/other cable broadcast?

It's the National Games on Fox and TBS that cause the blackouts on the weekends. If the game isn't in your area then either you go to a bar, or you find another way to stream it.

[quote name='DNukem170']Anybody here watch all 19 innings of A's/Angels?[/QUOTE]

Angels fans have to be loving Josh after that game. He kids around about how he sucked last year while he goes 0 for 8.

That Jeff Francoeur is a really friendly guy.

oQ2YVvJ.gif

Jays just walked Ortiz to get to Napoli, who proceeded to hit the ball about 500 feet into what looked like the 4th deck in Toronto.

[quote name='DNukem170']So, who else thinks the Cubs move out of Wrigley?[/QUOTE]

This is the first I've heard of this. What's to these rumors? Wrigley is like Fenway - sure, they could move to a bigger ballpark, but the stadium is timeless and an important part of the team's history.

Build a bigger park, and you take away (IMO) a big part of what makes them lovable losers.

Build a bigger park, and people may not come if you're not a good team. There's a lot of evidence of that.

The owner wants some luxury suites, either to take away rooftop seats or get paid for then, and a bunch of other stuff and he threatened moving if he doesn't get his way.

I agree, Wrigley is iconic, I just can't picture the Cubs playing anywhere else.

I haven't paid too much attention, but have they done as much as the Sox have done to Fenway in terms of modernization? 15 years ago, Fenway was a pit and lots of people wanted the team to build a new stadium, but the current ownership group has done so much to update it that people never mention moving anymore.

From what I've read, Tom Ricketts wants to put up a video screen in left field, and the owners of the rooftop seats are crying, saying it will block the seats' views into the stadium.

As far as the Cubs wanting to get paid for the rooftop seats, they already have a deal in place where the owners of the seats must share some of their revenue with the team.

I'd like the cubs to move to the burbs personally. Old stadiums can be cool, but I think a new stadium to go with new owners/management would be pretty nice. And the cubs get a whopping 17% from the rooftop owners.

The whole crying poor aspect from the Cubs ownership is laughable. I can't even fathom what the Cubs are going to get from their TV deal next year.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']The whole crying poor aspect from the Cubs ownership is laughable. I can't even fathom what the Cubs are going to get from their TV deal next year.[/QUOTE]

Disco.

http://deadspin.com/5615096/mlb-con...uments-baseball-doesnt-want-you-to-see-part-1

No pro sports team gets to cry poor anymore. For the above reason of the Pirates' profitability, and also the "profit" versus "value" argument. All sports teams improve in value over time. Year-to-year profit or less is less relevant than value.

Would you take a team that loses, say, $10 million per year if, after ten years, you can sell the team for a couple hundred million more than you bought it for? You do if you understand basic arithmetic.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'd like the cubs to move to the burbs personally. Old stadiums can be cool, but I think a new stadium to go with new owners/management would be pretty nice. And the cubs get a whopping 17% from the rooftop owners.[/QUOTE]
Their bad for signing that contract. The contract also says that the Cubs won't do anything to mess with the terms of the contract or the viability of the seats, by, say, putting up a huge billboard or scoreboard in front of them. I don't know what the terms are if the Cubs break it but I heard some lawyers laughing about it once so you know it's gotta be horrendous.

The lawyer for the rooftop owner deserves their first born. The lawyer for the Cubs should be beat about the head with sticks. I can't even believe that deal was approved. Makes me wonder if the Cubs lawyer didn't just get run over by his own clients during the whole thing. I'd say nobody is stupid enough to do that deal but, you know, Soriano.

bread's done
Back