2015 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

If you can find enough stuff throughout the year, local anime conventions are a great place to sell movies, games, and toys. Many of them will charge $300+ for a booth, but I always make that back in spades.
we have comic convention here in slc twice a year. My Dad has a bunch of old batman and star wars toys/comics from tenents. I could easily get enough stuff. I think that could work :)

If you can find enough stuff throughout the year, local anime conventions are a great place to sell movies, games, and toys. Many of them will charge $300+ for a booth, but I always make that back in spades.
I've never done an Anime convention, but I have done a small comic convention (the guy gave me free space because he knows I have a lot of stuff). It is interesting to see what does and does not sell. I was surprised how many loose action figures/toys/cars the guy next to me sold. Meanwhile people couldn't sell carded Star Wars figures for $2.

There was a kid (maybe 10 years old) with his dad across from us and he was wheeling and dealing all over the place. He really wanted a T-shirt that I was selling, so I traded with him for a couple things. He got the better part of the deal, but it was worth it to teach him.

I'll never forget checking out the "toy hunter's" booth (before he had a show) and seeing mostly penny items from BB. :lol:

Picked up Zelda Phantom Hourglass for $5 today. Complete but the label is almost entirely gone, so it'll probably go to my kid sister.

Not a big day for stuff I am going to keep but did find some stuff to make some money on today. I can say I was going to pass on both the Sansui Tape Deck and the Sony 5-Disc DVD player but decided to check them on ebay quick and they both are an easy flip it turns out so I grabbed them. 

zRoIH3f.jpg

zqxJMUy.jpg

I was a bit surprised with the Sony as I didn't really consider it to be much on first glance, but then I saw it was a 1080p upscaling one and it is actually selling on ebay between $60-110, depending on condition and if it has a remote. I have a remote coming from ebay already so I plan on listing it around $100. Best part it cost me $12.98 and the remote was $12, so overall a decent flip when all is said and done.

B3axyce.jpg

The Sansui tape deck caught my eye mostly from all of the buttons. Turns out it was one of their microcomputer controlled tape decks. If I actively collected tapes I would keep this one in a heartbeat. Functions perfectly and is actually quite fun to play with but honestly I have no need for it. Cost me $4.99 and I should be able to flip it for around $50.

6Rs1gwL.jpg

Finally found some more NES games. Contra was $7.99 and is going right to ebay as I already own a copy. Only bought it as I thought it was in better shape then mine but I was wrong. Fester's Quest was $3.99 and I just grabbed it as it pretty much looked mint and I've been trying to grab more of the Sunsoft titles. Overall a good week for me and I plan on turning the money I earned from this stuff into some more NES stuff.

med_gallery_354731_8522_31587.jpg

Who could it be now?

med_gallery_354731_8522_349341.jpg

Thanks to whoever kept posting about the Dream Machine in last years thread.  Picked it up to replace my daughters CD alarm clock with one that she can hook her iPod up to. $7.  The blu ray is for my bedroom and is 3D capable.  Been noticing more blu players at the thrifts lately.  $15.

med_gallery_354731_8522_327995.jpg

med_gallery_354731_8522_31587.jpg

Who could it be now?

med_gallery_354731_8522_349341.jpg

Thanks to whoever kept posting about the Dream Machine in last years thread. Picked it up to replace my daughters CD alarm clock with one that she can hook her iPod up to. $7. The blu ray is for my bedroom and is 3D capable. Been noticing more blu players at the thrifts lately. $15.

med_gallery_354731_8522_327995.jpg
I haven't noticed but I need a blu ray in my living room so fingers crossed.

Went today and really didn't find much except old PS2 sports games.  Did see a Halo 2 Collector's Edition w/o manual for $2.99, but passed on it(since I already own one).  Did buy a pack of 3 games for $1.99 that included PC versions of Madden NFL '08 & Pac-Man World Rally along with a complete copy of Destroy All Humans for Xbox.  Weird to get all 3 for $1.99, since all 3 games had tags on their cases for $3.99 each.

Got the games for $1 each

SOA Season 4 was $2.99

PSOne was $7.50

Dual Shock 2 controller $0.50

Universal remote in the package was $1.50

IMG_0931_zpsbkiyitjg.jpg

Scored:

Ar Tonelico Limited Edition (Complete/Disc=mint) $5.99

DS Lite with no charger or stylus (Tested in working condition) $24.99

QvRLkAt.jpg

I also saw a PC MOMO Racing Wheel (complete) for $10. Tempted to get it but I have a G25 PC which is taking up space in my little apartment.

5cu5wtA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait wait wait....did I actually find something worth getting at Goodwill?! :p

Golf picture was $10 (dads bday is next week, hes totally into golf so no brainer here)

Games are complete- $3 apiece (fun fact I didnt know- you can use an emulator to play Sega CDs in a PC!)

Mip Robot was CIB/like new, just needed fresh batteries- $35 (go for like $80-$100 in stores)

Golf picture was $10 (dads bday is next week, hes totally into golf so no brainer here)

Games are complete- $3 apiece (fun fact I didnt know- you can use an emulator to play Sega CDs in a PC!)

Mip Robot was CIB/like new, just needed fresh batteries- $35 (go for like $80-$100 in stores)

That MIP reminds me of the Zoomer Dino (CIB) I found at Goodwill for $20. I thought it was cool but those things control REALLY funky so I hocked it to eBay for $40 (Retail $80-100) Everyone walks away from that satisfied.

However was not better than the NASCAR 2003 championship PC game I found for $2.99 and sold in a auction for almost $50.

Wish I could +1 like for the Chips Ahoy with Reeses chips! Haven't had a Chips Ahoy in years...

Went to the local Salvation Army and found a Sega Genesis 2 with two controllers, cables, and Earthworm Jim all for $20. Not excellent, but not terrible either. Could certainly use some cleaning off, though.

XgOmrE1.jpg

Also saw some PC games hidden in a display case at checkout. Closest I saw to anything worthwhile seemed to be the discs from the Diablo II Battle Chest for $3.50, but I doubt they'd have had a usable serial.

Went to my local used game store and had some real luck.

I finally found a good copy of Tony Hawk Proskater 4 (and 3). Got Saint for the Wii too as a free game (glad it was free, considering -- couldn't find much else at the price point to get a free game). I'll try it out and if I don't like it, I'll be exchanging it and paying off the difference so I can get another game.

Been hunting for a good copy of Tony Hawk Proskater 4 for a long time. Looking forward to playing it again. I missed it. 

Also found out that the PS2 I found at Goodwill is in really good working shape. It starts up fine and loads games. so that's good.

Haven't found anything lately at Goodwill. But I went to a Fleamarket recently when I went to visit my aunt, and this one guy had an PS3(backwards compatible one) for $350.

........I wanted to start flipping his tables.

profile_picture_by_flipping_tables_plz-d52jb8h.jpg

Went to my local used game store and had some real luck.

I finally found a good copy of Tony Hawk Proskater 4 (and 3). Got Saint for the Wii too as a free game (glad it was free, considering -- couldn't find much else at the price point to get a free game). I'll try it out and if I don't like it, I'll be exchanging it and paying off the difference so I can get another game.

Been hunting for a good copy of Tony Hawk Proskater 4 for a long time. Looking forward to playing it again. I missed it.

Also found out that the PS2 I found at Goodwill is in really good working shape. It starts up fine and loads games. so that's good.
Love Tony Hawk spent many hours playing it on ps1 good find.

Had me a good day locally for once. I don't usually stop by the local salvation army as I really never find anything there but, I was bored so I stopped in and it paid off. Breath of Fire III was $1.99 and I got Final Fantasy VIII for $1.99 as well as I pointed out it was missing disc 2 so they knocked off $2 dollars.

39T4lvL.jpg

Got a PS2 slim for $10, just missing the power cord. Was going to buy one off eBay anyway since my phat has been having issues lately.

At the other local thrift, I got a set of RB equipment for 360: two guitars, one drum set, cymbal expansion kit, and two mics (one of which was sealed). $25 for everything.

Found these. First Thrift Store pick ups of the year.

$3 and 75 cents respectively.

How did I do?

20150214_092059.jpg

Saturday morning Goodwill window sale, was the third one there, and no one picked up this yet so I snatched it. None of the Pokemon games or Zelda game was showing, they were under the disney and dr mario games. Picked it up for 15.99

saw Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 8 at my local thrift store each for 5 bucks

is that an automatic grab or what?

Saturday morning Goodwill window sale, was the third one there, and no one picked up this yet so I snatched it. None of the Pokemon games or Zelda game was showing, they were under the disney and dr mario games. Picked it up for 15.99
My HPB had a set like this (most of the same games) for $100. I know someone bought it at $50 with a coupon, so for that cost it is a buy.

My HPB had a set like this (most of the same games) for $100. I know someone bought it at $50 with a coupon, so for that cost it is a buy.
I was alittle disappointed that no gameboy was in the case, but the selection of games was still worth it at 15.99. And I wish we had

a HPB in my area, heard some decent deals being pulled from there by different people

saw Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 8 at my local thrift store each for 5 bucks

is that an automatic grab or what?
If you are buying to keep, then they are good deals for each. If you are planning on flipping them at that price, and if they are complete / good shape and black label copies, then not a bad deal (FF8 moreso than MGS at that price though).

I stopped at an out of the way GW yesterday while on our way back from a small V-Day trip.  While I only walked out with two items, it was a pretty successful trip.

Picked up a squeaking Chica plush for my youngest (if you have kids and watch Sprout, you'll know what I mean) for .99 and was pleasantly surprised to find  Zoo Tycoon 2 Ultimate Collection for $2.  Disc three has a minor center-ring crack (non-data), but a little acetone treatment bonded it pretty well.  Everything installed without issue. Hopefully that will sell quickly to help offset the cost of this past weekend.  :D/

My best find ever I think. Walked into my local Goodwill (where I have not found anything in a WHILE might I add). And sitting there in their glass case was the following:

a Sega Nomad for 9.99

a Sega Genesis with games, multiplayer adapter for 59.99

I said I would like to see both, and when he saw the Genesis did not come with the power cord / TV cord, he knocked it down to 29.99 (I then convinced him to go down to 24.99  O:))

the nomad came with a battery pack  AND a rechargeable battery pack!

the Genesis came with console, 2 controllers, multiplayer adapter and 24 games!!! Highlights include Streets of Rage 3 (which alone goes for 30), comix zone, Bart vs Space mutants.

so paid 35 dollars for everything!

The thing I really really loved though was the Nomad. Ive literally wanted one since I was in 2nd grade. I always thought the idea of a portable genesis was awesome.

Any you guys interested in a Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance (no battey cover) with RugRats game for $10 + shipping costs or trade for Steam Games (Ryse, Shadow of Mordor. etc) ? I recently got a DS from Goodwill.

I think I paid $5 each for them a few months ago at Savers. I just tested them and appear to be in working condition.

4wbiyFY.jpg

dPd4EL6.jpg

I decided to stop at my least favorite GW this morning, since I was going to be right there when I picked up my GoT preorder from Best Buy down the street.  I'm glad I did.

I ended up finding a complete, black label Super Mario Sunshine for 1.99 and the disc is nearly flawless.  While I was waiting to check out, I noticed a small basket in the display case that had a bunch of loose DS games.  I saw a few Pokemon Ranger titles, so I decided to had a look.  They were priced between 4.99 (shovelware) and 9.99 (more popular titles), but I only bought one.  Pokemon Heart Gold for 9.99.  It's more than I'll usually spend on games at Goodwill, but I ended up listing it on Amazon when I got out to the parking lot and by the time I got home, it already sold for $45.xx.  Once I get SMS listed and sold, that should about cover my day of shopping.

Great. Mine already sends all donated jewelry out so they can pick out the valuable stuff (gold/silver/etc) to sell it online, and then they send the costume crap back to the stores. One of the stores used to sell their jewelry in bulk bags ($20/bag) when they would get too much. There were usually a few gold pieces that would make a small profit.

Snow Board Kids and gray Road Rash 64- $3 each, I thought I did good with just SBK but Im seeing that RR64 is $25+ on Ebay as well! Need to clean them up a little, rental sticker residue and some marker. 

I've had a good year so far..  I found these two today.  Im keeping metroid, and fbaing mincraft sealed. 

JPhOjEQ.jpg

Damn nice scored on the MP Trilogy. 

All my goodwills have bunch of sealed copies of Minecraft and Plants vs. Zombies but they want $13~$20 for it.

Been a long time since I posted, been hunting, but not going as often as I was, here's my finds from the last month or so..

Guides are all mint, BorderLands 2, Halo Reach and Assasin's Creed Revelations each 3.99

Also found the 3rd party Atari paddles, CIB, really cool find, in awesome shape, even has the Toys r Us sticker, someone paid 14.97 in 1983, I paid 6.99 32 years later.

Blinx 2: Master of Time and Space,  in great shape apart from a completely destroyed outer case, easy enough to swap. 2.99

lNV4edI.jpg

And a ton of CD's! Local goodwill's been paying off every single time in the CD department, I used to never find anything.

I got the following:

Megadeth: Greatest Hits, Cryptic Writings and Countdown to Extinction

Led Zeppelin: Untitled 4th Album (1971)

As Cities Burn: Son I Loved You at Your Darkest

Kanye West: College Dropout

Underoath: They're Only Chasing Safety

Puddle of Mud: Come Clean

The Offspring: Ixnay on the Hombre and SMASH

and a compilation of punk, alternative and metal called Take Action Vol. 4

kOoYcZo.jpg

I bought a snes controller for 3.20. Also bought a jungle green n64 with a power cord for 13 dollars at savers. And it works like a charm. I bought final fantasy x and X2 for 5 a pop. Those might flip. One was black label.

bread's done
Back