2015 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

Picked up Guilty Gear XX Core Plus for the wii (complete with CD soundtrack) for $1.

Pretty happy about that. (Too lazy to take a pic).

My daughter missed the bus this morning so I had to drive her to school.  On my way back, I decided to drop by GW and ended up grabbing Tetris, Tetris 2, Super Mario/Duck Hunt and Bubble Bobble (NES) for $2/ea.  They just brought them out from the back when I walked in.  I wanted to stick around and see what else might come out, but my fiance worked overnight last night and I had to get back home to watch our 2 year old. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So i had $13 store credit that expired today at the Salvation Army after some tome ago i bought some sports coats to try to sell but realized there was torn seams on them when i got home. So i went today and found a $9 all in one wireless printer with ink in it (hp officejet 4620). Havent tested it yet. Wanted it because i got a cannon printer (pixma ip2702) for $2 there but i didnt like using it because it wasn't wireless and i print off either mobile or a laptop.

then i found this book which i planned on trading in to AMZ for $22 before it shot to $28(https://www.amazon.com/dp/0890871957/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_t096ub1BWFAQA) then i decided to try my hand on ebay after seeing second hand prices. Up for $200 OBO honestly is probably take much less. It his some spine wear and a name wrote on the first page in pen (all with detailed pictures in my listing) any suggestions trying to get the ink off?

So i had $13 store credit that expired today at the Salvation Army after some tome ago i bought some sports coats to try to sell but realized there was torn seams on them when i got home. So i went today and found a $9 all in one wireless printer with ink in it (hp officejet 4620). Havent tested it yet. Wanted it because i got a cannon printer (pixma ip2702) for $2 there but i didnt like using it because it wasn't wireless and i print off either mobile or a laptop.

then i found this book which i planned on trading in to AMZ for $22 before it shot to $28(https://www.amazon.com/dp/0890871957/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_t096ub1BWFAQA) then i decided to try my hand on ebay after seeing second hand prices. Up for $200 OBO honestly is probably take much less. It his some spine wear and a name wrote on the first page in pen (all with detailed pictures in my listing) any suggestions trying to get the ink off?
Step 1: Put down the "reefer" - no one likes resin on their books.

Step 2: Things are not "wrote" they are written. - repeat that in your head 3 times

Step 3: You have to decide if it is worth trying to remove.

If the paper is glossy, you can try a "polymer eraser" - they are white. There are also "pen erasers" from the old school that are hard and grey. They work like sandpaper, so they will wear off some of the paper.

I've heard that acetone could work, but I would avoid anything liquid based.

I checked out your listing. I would just leave the name. You have detailed the personalization and it seems like the book is being purchased as a reference, rather than a collectable. That ding in the corner is much more significant to a collector.

Hope that helps

Step 1: Put down the "reefer" - no one likes resin on their books.
Step 2: Things are not "wrote" they are written. - repeat that in your head 3 times
Step 3: You have to decide if it is worth trying to remove.

If the paper is glossy, you can try a "polymer marker" - they are white. There are also "pen erasers" from the old school that are hard and grey. They work like sandpaper, so they will wear off some of the paper.

I've heard that acetone could work, but I would avoid anything liquid based.

I checked out your listing. I would just leave the name. You have detailed the personalization and it seems like the book is being purchased as a reference, rather than a collectable. That ding in the corner is much more significant to a collector.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info and my username is a old pseudonym that i decided not to drop after I actually did drop the reefer years ago ;)

After having some luck downstate over the holidays I decided to try the local Goodwill again this weekend. Nothing majorly interesting and no steals; I saw a PS2 bundle with a controller and memory card (as well as a MadCatz controller separately for two bucks), but after paying only $10 for a PS2 Slim bundle last spring at another Goodwill, I couldn't find it in me to pay $20 for an untested system.

I did end up leaving with an old and slightly fraying mauve rocker/recliner small enough to fit in my closet of a bedroom. Ugly as all hell, but it's comfortable enough, and apparently a genuine La-Z-Boy, for whatever that's worth. Only $12.50 after the pink-tag discount, the back bench of the SUV was still folded down and empty, and I desperately needed real furniture other than a bed in here.

The hits just keep coming in the CD's at Goodwill, another handful today.

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Soundgarden - Down on the Upside

The Fugees' Greatest Hits

All SUPER MINT.

Also accidentally bought Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns, didn't google to band's name like I usually do, or I would've realized that it was crappy soft pop rock. Lol.

Also got a sealed NOW #44 for my sister.

I'm also starting to see a lot of great albums that I've already found now, kind of sucks finding something good only to realize you already have it.

All 1.99 as usual.

7zxrqtr.jpg

Where do you guys find the cartridge based games at your local Goodwill? I've been hunting for a long, long time now, and I've never seen a single cart based game anywhere besides the glass case (Not very often at all, and always overpriced), I have a feeling I'm not looking in the right spots, because I doubt that they haven't had ANY in more than a year or longer.

Where do you guys find the cartridge based games at your local Goodwill? I've been hunting for a long, long time now, and I've never seen a single cart based game anywhere besides the glass case (Not very often at all, and always overpriced), I have a feeling I'm not looking in the right spots, because I doubt that they haven't had ANY in more than a year or longer.
when I hit my local savers it usually just electronics and toys where I browse for games. They are usually up front in bags but it is not very often I see them... and I go to my local lds run second hand shop and usually in glass case for 5 a pop on every game. I'm more then happy to keep a eye out for games for you. Maybe you could friend employees don't be afraid to ask which I don't (should start) you could also ask friends and neighbors if they have stuff from their kids. Also Game Stores online. Lukiegames estarland jj games and dk oldies are some of my favorites. Give me a list of games you like. Im planning on garage sailing a ton this summer if I get a car

when I hit my local savers it usually just electronics and toys where I browse for games. They are usually up front in bags but it is not very often I see them... and I go to my local lds run second hand shop and usually in glass case for 5 a pop on every game. I'm more then happy to keep a eye out for games for you. Maybe you could friend employees don't be afraid to ask which I don't (should start) you could also ask friends and neighbors if they have stuff from their kids. Also Game Stores online. Lukiegames estarland jj games and dk oldies are some of my favorites. Give me a list of games you like. Im planning on garage sailing a ton this summer if I get a car
Yea, I've had some luck at smaller thrift stores around here, they tend to get more of the older stuff out on the shelves, but the only stores really local to me are a couple of goodwills and some tiny thrifts that never have anything gaming related, I've scored one time on a decent NES lot at a garage sale, but I never find anything pre-1999 or so at the thrifts. I've built up a collection of at least 1000 disc based games and only have found less than 30 cart based games in the wild... and no cart based consoles :wall:

I'm hoping that the yard sale season is kind to me, my sleep schedule was not yard sale friendly last year due to working evenings, so I really only went out 5 or 6 times over the year.

Yea, I've had some luck at smaller thrift stores around here, they tend to get more of the older stuff out on the shelves, but the only stores really local to me are a couple of goodwills and some tiny thrifts that never have anything gaming related, I've scored one time on a decent NES lot at a garage sale, but I never find anything pre-1999 or so at the thrifts. I've built up a collection of at least 1000 disc based games and only have found less than 30 cart based games in the wild... and no cart based consoles :wall:

I'm hoping that the yard sale season is kind to me, my sleep schedule was not yard sale friendly last year due to working evenings, so I really only went out 5 or 6 times over the year.
I think a lot of people hoard games like me so they don't pop up in the wild :) you could try shopgoodwill. I have not used it yet. utah also have a lot of vintage video game store with carts and what not. I would be more then happy to mail you a few carts for free of charge if I find descent games. I love to share the wealth. anything for a fellow gamer. Anything pre 1999 is hard to find because of eBay my cousin would find tons back in the day but unfortunately his wife gave away his storage of games.

Scored some games today. Haven't had a chance to go the past week but my later class got canceled today so I went on my thrift run. Came away with these.

The 360 games were all $2.99 each and I caught them as they were being put out on the shelve. Wasn't going to buy them but it's hard for me to leave quality stuff behind at a thrift. I actually don't own a 360 at the moment but may get one if I come across a cheap one.

YPIDR8a.jpg

The PS2 games are as marked and Zone of the Enders was with the 360 games at $2.99.

qSfYtmm.jpg

Holy shit. My co-worker just scored at Goodwill today.

All complete in box:

Megaman X

Megaman X2

Street Fighter II

Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat II

Mortal Kombat 3

Donkey Kong Country 3

Pilotwings 64

Mission Impossible

Cruis'n USA

Cruis'n World
Wave Race 64

Timeslip

All for $0.15 each! The lady thought they were cassette tapes! $0.15 for Megaman X2 CIB!!

To top it off they are mint. They literally look like they just came out of the shrinkwrap.

After he told me what he got, I went and checked it out. I managed to get:

Mario Kart 64

James Bond Jr.

$0.49 each, complete in box (the lady didn't think they were cassettes, so she charged the VHS/DVD price). I'm pretty happy. Sad that I missed Megaman X2, but grateful to have gotten anything.

I found starfox asault for 5 dollars disc only at my local D.I. for Gamecube. And found Excite Truck wii 2007 for 3 dollars at Savers. Disc only but came with a wii sports insert. I need to go to goodwill once I get a car this summer. I've been once invmy state but have had good luck in CO.

I found starfox asault for 5 dollars disc only at my local D.I. for Gamecube. And found Excite Truck wii 2007 for 3 dollars at Savers. Disc only but came with a wii sports insert. I need to go to goodwill once I get a car this summer. I've been once invmy state but have had good luck in CO.
Most Goodwill stores don't have prices similar to mine. I've only ever seen $0.49 DVDs at central North Carolina stores. The coastal NC Goodwill stores charge a base of $0.99 and usually custom price any video games. I think the vast majority of console games brought to Goodwill end up going to ShopGoodwill.com - it's pretty crazy that the stores near me don't seem to participate in that.

I'm not sure if the salt lake goodwill stores do shopgoodwill.com or how they price. I was last in Colorado in 2012 and the deals were cheap. We have a church run second hand shops all over the state. My closest store usually price all games at 5 unless it is sealed. In the summer once I get a car I can hit more stores. My cousin found so many games back in the 90s for dirt cheap but his ex wife gave it all away over a fight.

One of my Goodwills has 20 Copies of About Last Night BR/DVD tagged for 10.99. Been there for about 3 months. 

Mine don't even give out coupons anymore. 

I've yet to find anything at the buffalo area goodwills of any worth. I still stop because I'm out there but feels like a waste.

Got a copy of Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare for the Xbone today, $10. The case is broken but it wasn't a bad deal as far as I'm concerned.

My local goodwill isn't a reliable source of gaming stuff - they have a good deal now and then, but usually it's either overpriced junk or cases with no game. I can usually find something else that's a good price, like today I also paid $10 for a suitcase that retails at $90.

Went online for the lols onto the Goodwill Auction site, found a pretty good fat PS2 with 2 controllers and other accessories. Bid around $14 for it. Going to be picking it up on Monday. 

Also stopped by a used game/movie store to look for a movie I've been having a hard time finding on dvd. Couldn't find it but I found Legacy of Kain: Defiance for around $4.

And I picked up a used copy of Tomb Raider (PS3) at a local store for $13. Been eyeing it for awhile now.

Got a copy of Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare for the Xbone today, $10. The case is broken but it wasn't a bad deal as far as I'm concerned.

My local goodwill isn't a reliable source of gaming stuff - they have a good deal now and then, but usually it's either overpriced junk or cases with no game. I can usually find something else that's a good price, like today I also paid $10 for a suitcase that retails at $90.
I ran into that only with cds lol. They put some out there and they don't have anything in them. They're even trying to sell an old phonebook.

Nice find on the Plants vs. Zombies game and the suitcase!

The Goodwill that is the 2nd closest to me has finally completely dried up, I hadn't been in around a month, and went earlier today, every single thing I found was spot on ebay prices, even things that were marked AS-IS (which means already been returned as broken once at this particular store) were ebay priced.

Oh well, I had a couple decent finds while it lasted...

[quote name="Kaipper" post="12539130" timestamp="1425175993"]

My local goodwill isn't a reliable source of gaming stuff - they have a good deal now and then, but usually it's either overpriced junk or cases with no game. I can usually find something else that's a good price, like today I also paid $10 for a suitcase that retails at $90. I'm jealous of plants vs zombies. I wouldn't care about the case. I'm getting a xbox one in december.

Got these at my local thrift store for $3.  Everything in the boxes is in excellent condition.  I'll add some other photos when I get a chance.  Seeing the Sierra catalog from 1988 is really cool.

bu77iOT.jpg

Saturday finds.  Everything 50% off.  Wizard of Oz is sealed.  The Halloween and Blacked Eyed Peas are for my daughter who was with me thrifting.  She also picked up a Cabbage Patch Preemie (1984?) new in box.  Outer plastic was a little beat up but this thing was still attatched in box with papers.  It was $7.50 after discount.  She is going to be a killer thrifter when she is older.  Did I mention she is only six, almost 7.  She has skills on the controller also.  Been playing since her hands were big enough to hold a controller.  She is my game tester when I bring home kids games. 

med_gallery_354731_8522_222002.jpg

I added the pic of the Cabbage Patch Preemie in case anyone is interested.

med_gallery_354731_8522_681188.jpg

After a really long dry spell of not finding anything at GW, picked up an 8gb Vita memory card for $10.  This was a leftover from when Target clearanced them out recently.

Picked up a glacier white gold wireless headset today for $45. I was pretty happy about that.

Also got some wrestling DVDs for 1.99 a piece.

I talked to the mgr at my local goodwill in WA and he told me that anything cartridge based gets sent to the warehouse for sale on the goodwill auction site, They have been doing this for the last few years.

Found some decent stuff today at a used store today:

Some records:

The Cars -- Panorama

Fleetwood Mac

Electric Light Orchestra -- A New World Record

Dylan

Commodores

Stevie Nicks -- Bella Donna

Rod Stewart -- A Night on the Town

Steely Dan -- Aja

Steely Dan -- Pretzel Logic

Gerry Rafferty -- City to City

Led Zeppelin -- Houses of the Holy

Along with some Cd's:

Genesis -- We can't dance

Paula Abdul -- Spellbound

The best of Styx

Anya -- Paint the Sky with Stars (The Best of Anya)

God Dammit. I saw Rumble Roses at GW but it freaking got the ring of death on it.

PeOHDEe.jpg

nPOuPWg.jpg

Saw a Gamecube set with one controller and wires for $15 but I passed on it.

gWF6daA.jpg

What kind of bench buffer? and where can I get one? Can it fix scratches too and make it mint?

I'm saving up for this http://www.amazon.com/JFJ-Easy-Universal-Repair-Machine/dp/B000RBE4B8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426281073&sr=8-2&keywords=disc+repair

I'm not sure if its worth it.
I have this one, except mine's orange:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-buffer-94393.html

It takes a bit of practice to do it right, so if you go this route, practice on crappy junk discs first.

Found this loose at an estate sale for $2. It looked like a game & watch to me. Anyone know anything about it?

Pics:
UKv4bPAl.jpg

TvzT1ral.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-INNO-HIT-CONSTRUCTION-WORK-BOXED-HANDHELD-GAME-TIME-WATCH-RETRO-VIDEO-JEU/121411959934?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D6aad0812ffd24f9b8a57990cd55b45b9%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D370839527680

I'm not sure, but I'd guess it's a a spin-off/rip-off of the Game & Watch. Might be valuable, if the link is any indication, but probably just more obscure than anything.

Found this loose at an estate sale for $2. It looked like a game & watch to me. Anyone know anything about it?

Pics:
UKv4bPAl.jpg

TvzT1ral.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-INNO-HIT-CONSTRUCTION-WORK-BOXED-HANDHELD-GAME-TIME-WATCH-RETRO-VIDEO-JEU-/121411959934

Lol, "Game and Time"

Here is a link to everything listed on ebay, but as far as I can tell, nothing has been sold. People are probably asking way too much.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_sacat=0&_nkw=inno+hit+construction+work&rt=nc

And even more info about it. http://handheldempire.com/game.jsp?game=2185

bread's done
Back