2016 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

picked this up today for $40

i tested it out and it works great and i like how clear the picture is. been check every gamecube i have seen for years and never found one and i almost just left without checking this time but i am glad my persistence finally paid off.

I still hope to this day that a 3rd party company starts making these. Until then, I'll settle with playing Gamecube games through my component cable connected Wii.

Edit: What did I do? The text is all the way to the left instead of right of my avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:
picked this up today for $40

i tested it out and it works great and i like how clear the picture is. been check every gamecube i have seen for years and never found one and i almost just left without checking this time but i am glad my persistence
finally paid off.
In the first picture seethe console with the yellow,white,red cable. The other is showing the component cable.are u sayingujust got the system for $40 with orwithout component cable?

In the first picture seethe console with the yellow,white,red cable. The other is showing the component cable.are u sayingujust got the system for $40 with orwithout component cable?
the system came with both cables. you can not use the system with just the component cable you need both.

the system came with both cables. you can not use the system with just the component cable you need both.
Oh, I didn't know that. Those were so hard to find that I found component Wii cables for $4 during blockbuster closing and $15 white Wii before gaming demand prices shot back up. Great pickup lucky collector. Was that from a good will store? Do u find better stuff at Goodwill, usedgamestore,or yard sales?

Oh, I didn't know that. Those were so hard to find that I found component Wii cables for $4 during blockbuster closing and $15 white Wii before gaming demand prices shot back up. Great pickup lucky collector. Was that from a good will store? Do u find better stuff at Goodwill, usedgamestore,or yard sales?
this i got at a store that is kind of like a thrift store they sell what ever they buy from customers. they have dvds books music video games and lot of other stuff. They usually pay almost nothing and price items based on ebay. this is where i get most of my deals because they get too much stuff in and don't have a place to store it so they put it out cheap or reduce stuff that been sitting for a long time, or they don't know what they have and they guess what it is worth. it also helps that the workers their give me discounts all the time because they know the stuff is over priced. there was a time i was getting 50 dollar games for $5 or less because before they raised their prices they sold all old games for $5 so the worker would still sell them to me for the same.

this was another pick up at the same store as the gamecube. it is in rough shape but the disc is good and i got it for $5. does any one know if the blockbuster label can be taken off safely. it is one that covers the whole disc on top.

[attachment=20743:IMG_5853.JPG]

Picked these up yesterday for $1 each. This store's pricing is really weird - it was sitting next to some copies of Metroid Other M priced at $25 - but as long as there's some cheap game stuff once in a while I'm happy. :D

this was another pick up at the same store as the gamecube. it is in rough shape but the disc is good and i got it for $5. does any one know if the blockbuster label can be taken off safely. it is one that covers the whole disc on top.
I haven't done it for probably 8 or 9 years but I successfully removed some. I believe I pretty much just let the disc sit in a very small amount of goo-gone for a few hours and was able to peel it off.

Disc worked afterwards, but the disc felt almost brittle afterwards. I decided to let them stay after that.

First time I stop by a couple of thrift stores after a long time and I find a couple of cool things
[attachment=20844:image.jpeg]
Big box PC games for 0.99 each

[attachment=20845:image.jpeg]
[attachment=20846:image.jpeg]
Monkey island for 0.50
Ren and Stimpy puzzle for 0.50

Got some stuff today. Hope it's valuable. I needs money!

Can't tell which of the million music games this is for. Or hell, even what system. Probably PS3. It was $5.

dEI8cZU.jpg

RBCbPzK.jpg

Fender Stratocaster guitar. Again, no idea what game or system. But eBay seems to have it for a pretty penny. Hehehehehe. $2.50. Funny thing is, I found two of these. One at one GW, one at another. One had it for $5 that I saw weeks ago. Didn't get it. This one I did get today. However, for this one, I'm more tempted to club someone over the head with it while yelling "El Kabong" rather than sell it or use it.

VG94fzM.jpg

DpyXoya.jpg

$2 thingy. I dunno. Looks brand new though.

GoOJNhR.jpg

Those are the drums and guitar to Rock Band. Looks like PS3 versions. You'd need the bass pedal for the drums. I can't recall if the guitar needed a dongle.

The PS3 guitar needs the dongle, which goes for around $20-$25 on eBay. It also looks like you don't have the stand for the drum set. Rock band stuff is a massive pain to package since it's very hard to find a box, so if you were going to sell it I'd recommend craigslist.

I used to buy the Rock Band instruments when I felt like I had to buy something and I've had a bad stretch of empty handed stops.  They do have value, and if you can find the matching dongles it can be worth it.  But the general consensus is that its a logistic nightmare to try and sell the whole package on eBay, and I'm always worried about getting SNADed on those listings...

Yeah, strawyleader is right, craigslist is the best option since you don't have to worry about packing, shipping, or return issues.  You may have a local mom and pop used video game store that *might* buy them, if they aren't already inundated with them.

Not to cast gloom over your finds, great deal if you plan to use them, but just know we've all been there at one point or another.

I used to buy the Rock Band instruments when I felt like I had to buy something and I've had a bad stretch of empty handed stops. They do have value, and if you can find the matching dongles it can be worth it. But the general consensus is that its a logistic nightmare to try and sell the whole package on eBay, and I'm always worried about getting SNADed on those listings...

Yeah, strawyleader is right, craigslist is the best option since you don't have to worry about packing, shipping, or return issues. You may have an local mom and pop used video game store that *might* buy them, if they aren't already inundated with them.

Not to cast gloom over your finds, great deal if you plan to use them, but just know we've all been there at one point or another.
Yeah, the only instruments I bother with are 360 Guitar Hero guitars, mostly because they break down easily for shipping and the 360 controllers are dongle-free. And the PS3 dongles are actually more valuable than the guitars themselves. Any time I find them, I just sell them by themselves. Painless shipping for not much less money.

I'm looking for the DJ Hero dongle myself. I'm hoping to someday connect my turntable to a PC and use it as a spinner (for Arkanoid and similar games).

My cousin bought my brother DJ Hero 2 for Christmas a long time ago. We took it out of the box once and played it once. After that, we put it back and never played it again.

Well, just had an experience at a local goodwill that left a sour taste in my mouth. I thought I was gonna leave empty handed when I magically found a sealed copy of Crazy Taxi for the game boy in a random bin full of toys. It was crushed and looked in bad shape, (but its a game boy game so whatever). I turned it around and see a .99 price tag on it. I figure hell for a buck Ill buy it. It was weird though as I never see games there for that price.

I take it to the front and the cashier (semi-new guy) changes the price to 2.99. I ask whats up the price says .99. He says they never have video games for that price. ever. I told him it was in a bin of toys under a whole bunch of stuff. He says doesnt matter they dont sell it for that. I ask him 'what do you think I changed it or something?'. To which he says 'some people do it'. 

Im in that goodwill once a day. literally. once. a. day. and tell him I wouldnt do that because Im a local who shops there reguarly. To which he replies. "Ive never seen you." I said Im pretty sure your manager could identify me. to which he replied "our manager is a woman you didnt even know that did you?" at this point I was so pissed/ bewildered I didnt even know what to do. I just bought a 360 racing wheel from there last thursday. I bought another 20 bucks of games the day before that. Ive probably spent over a GRAND there in the last 4 years.

It has nothing to do with the price, (I paid the 2.99 he asked for it because I wanted the item). Im not exactly buddy buddy with the workers there. They all know my face, but its not like I know their names or are on a first-name basis. I did say however, that from now on when I enter the store daily Im going to announce it to him, just so he makes sure he sees me. But i was so embarrassed and felt so disrespected, and its honestly the first time Ive ever felt that way shopping at a store...

Well, just had an experience at a local goodwill that left a sour taste in my mouth. I thought I was gonna leave empty handed when I magically found a sealed copy of Crazy Taxi for the game boy in a random bin full of toys. It was crushed and looked in bad shape, (but its a game boy game so whatever). I turned it around and see a .99 price tag on it. I figure hell for a buck Ill buy it. It was weird though as I never see games there for that price.

I take it to the front and the cashier (semi-new guy) changes the price to 2.99. I ask whats up the price says .99. He says they never have video games for that price. ever. I told him it was in a bin of toys under a whole bunch of stuff. He says doesnt matter they dont sell it for that. I ask him 'what do you think I changed it or something?'. To which he says 'some people do it'.

Im in that goodwill once a day. literally. once. a. day. and tell him I wouldnt do that because Im a local who shops there reguarly. To which he replies. "Ive never seen you." I said Im pretty sure your manager could identify me. to which he replied "our manager is a woman you didnt even know that did you?" at this point I was so pissed/ bewildered I didnt even know what to do. I just bought a 360 racing wheel from there last thursday. I bought another 20 bucks of games the day before that. Ive probably spent over a GRAND there in the last 4 years.

It has nothing to do with the price, (I paid the 2.99 he asked for it because I wanted the item). Im not exactly buddy buddy with the workers there. They all know my face, but its not like I know their names or are on a first-name basis. I did say however, that from now on when I enter the store daily Im going to announce it to him, just so he makes sure he sees me. But i was so embarrassed and felt so disrespected, and its honestly the first time Ive ever felt that way shopping at a store...
If there's a survey on the receipt, do it - sometimes they get results. Besides, I'm pretty sure overcharging on a tagged price is illegal.

Related note - my fiance had an issue like that a few months ago. There was a pair of Miss Me jeans (designer, couple-hundred dollar jeans), barb-tagged the generic jeans price of 6.99. The cashier (also an assistant manager) tells her that those shouldn't be that price, leaves the register with the jeans and comes back a minute later and now the jeans have a $29.99 price tag on them.

Unfortunately, since she was an assistant manager, the survey didn't do shit this time because the bitch still works there. Luckily, it's not my regular store, so our dealings with her are limited.

It has nothing to do with the price, (I paid the 2.99 he asked for it because I wanted the item). Im not exactly buddy buddy with the workers there. They all know my face, but its not like I know their names or are on a first-name basis. I did say however, that from now on when I enter the store daily Im going to announce it to him, just so he makes sure he sees me. But i was so embarrassed and felt so disrespected, and its honestly the first time Ive ever felt that way shopping at a store...
i had a similar experience when i brought my super famicom. i frequent the store once or twice a week since it is far from where i live. i had found the super famicom and it came in a rental case but they had it on final sale. they wanted 60 dollars for it which i thought was fair but they had not tested it since it did not have an rf switch or av cable. i told the worker, he was also new there, to hold the item for me while i though about getting it or not since i was not sure i wanted to risk the $60. the store lets people hold items until they close for the day. i had brought some items from them and told the worker to hold the item for me still that i would be back. i wanted to put the other stuff in the car and look the super famicom up to see if it was a good buy and common problems it may have since i could not get internet in the store. one my way out of the store i had notice an rf switch which i could use for the super famicom.

within five minutes i walked back into the store and i seen that the worker had plugged the super famicom in and it was working and they were using the rf switch i had looked at. the worker said that the super famicom worked so they could provide a 30 day warranty with it now. so i though great i will definitely buy it now. then he says it is not longer 60 dollars. i told him i had placed the item on hold so i should still be able to get it for the $60 but he went on about how it was not final sale now that he knew it worked. he said he would be happy to come up with a new price for the system. at that point i stopped listen to him and ask to speak with the manager. another worker went to speak with the manager and came back and sold it to me for the $60.

if you are a regular at the store and spend a lot of money there i would not have accepted him raising the price of the game. i would have still ask to speak with the manager even over such a small amount since he seemed to be an ass with you. i do not get why some workers guard the items like they are going to lose money. the item was marked so they should have sold it for .99. if they though you switched the price they should look at the security footage. hopefully that workers attitude will change once he does see you are in there everyday and spend money there. i had stuff like this happen before with new workers and i just usually talk to another worker that knows i am always there or the manager if no one else is around.

When Sears had their good old days of awesome clearances with grossly outdated tags, I used to ask to scan items behind the glass case / carry a stack of games to the self scanner (before I had the foresight to create a UPC scan sheet...), to the point there was this one clerk that recognized me and had high suspicions about my activities when I visited their department.

I didn't do anything wrong, just trying to find out latest monthly drops, but she would always hover over me when I went over to the self scanner, or would send someone else to babysit me while I did the checks.

It was even worse when I would go and buy a few games, she would inspect the tags, thinking I was doing something shady when the prices were so different, never quite catching on to their own clearance cycles.  Managers would get routinely called in to double check the numbers, with plenty of awkward moments and thinly veiled death stares in between...

Anyways, she was only there for about a year, and that was probably my worst experience like what you felt (and even then I was acting a bit uncharacteristic of standard customers, so I understood part of the flak).

whats funny is when I picked up the game and saw .99 I had a feeling I was going to get questioned and they were going to think Im trying to pull something shady. Even I thought .99 was an oddly low price.  I bet you if they saw 19.99 they would not have done anything though...

Heh, with Sears owned by K-Mart, they're probably still selling Tele-Games units there. You ever want the time machine experience? Step into a K-Mart. If you can find one!

I managed to get a few things today, after months of jack shit.

360 Kinect for $2.99.  I've been looking for an extra one to try some 3D scanning.

SNES console, no cables, for $4.99.  It's a bit dirty and beat, hopefully it works.

Crash Bandicoot :ps1: complete for $2.75

Electronic Skip-Bo handheld for $1.75

The bottom two are worth some money and should more than pay for my day of shopping and then some when they sell.

EDIT:  Also picked up a blue Wii Remote (Motion Plus) for $5.75.

Something similar happened to me at my local DAV. I found a couple iGo cable adapter tips. Unmarked cables and other electronic parts go for $0.99 unless otherwise marked. I take it up front and the lady charges me $6 a piece. I tell the woman at the register that they are $0.99 each since they are not marked. She refuses to budge so I leave empty handed. This is the same lady that told me I had to leave my backpack up front, despite seeing my face at least once week there. This DAV is on my way home.

Speaking of Goodwill. My local Goodwill has a new policy of rounding up the price calling it a donation. If you bought something and the total was $3.88 total. They would ask you donate $0.12 to make it $4, which I have no problem rounding up that much. I had one instance where the guy asked me to round up $5 when my total was like $14.XX to make my total $20. I refused and the guy glared at me as if I had just shoplifted. I would have been fine rounding to $15, just $20.

I had one instance where the guy asked me to round up $5 when my total was like $14.XX to make my total $20. I refused and the guy glared at me as if I had just shoplifted. I would have been fine rounding to $15, just $20.
I would probably laugh at them if they tried that on me. Not a purposeful laugh mind you, but a short chuckle because I would think it was a joke.

However, I might have to be extra watchful now, as around here they usually just say "would you like to round up" and sometimes I'll do it.

Round up for a donation..........they already try to get Ebay prices for stuff they didnt pay a penny for! Getting greedier and greedier Goodwill!

I would probably laugh at them if they tried that on me. Not a purposeful laugh mind you, but a short chuckle because I would think it was a joke.

However, I might have to be extra watchful now, as around here they usually just say "would you like to round up" and sometimes I'll do it.
I do it sometimes, depending on how generous I'm feeling. One of the old ladies there always gives me a student discount (for some reason, do I really look that young?), so I usually round up for her.

But $5? fuck that. If I wanted to give GW an extra $5, I'd grab a couple more DVDs first.

If there's a survey on the receipt, do it - sometimes they get results. Besides, I'm pretty sure overcharging on a tagged price is illegal.

Related note - my fiance had an issue like that a few months ago. There was a pair of Miss Me jeans (designer, couple-hundred dollar jeans), barb-tagged the generic jeans price of 6.99. The cashier (also an assistant manager) tells her that those shouldn't be that price, leaves the register with the jeans and comes back a minute later and now the jeans have a $29.99 price tag on them.

Unfortunately, since she was an assistant manager, the survey didn't do shit this time because the bitch still works there. Luckily, it's not my regular store, so our dealings with her are limited.
That's insane. I ran into a similar issue with my local one. They tried to charge more than what the books were priced at. My mom and I were incensed. Now we just keep a close eye on how they ring up.

Finally got something after months of nothing. A Bioshock Infinite Songbird Edition (minus the game) for $40. It's probably the best game statue I've ever seen.

Seems like there's one of these types of people at every Goodwill.

Back on October 11th, I think it was. Anyway, I found brand new copies of Madden 16, the new Mortal Kombat, about 20 copies of Madden 12 and a Spider-Man game for the Wii and some trash DS games. I bought Madden 16 and Mortal Kombat for $24.99 each after a similar little punk tried changing the price to full retail after saying "I don't believe these were prices this way, they JUST came out". So I called the manager over and the manager told him, to his face, that he and another employee stocked the shelves with new games and movies and that those games were priced at $24.99. The manager rang me up himself.

I haven't been thrifting for awhile but I was able to find a few things last night:

Warpath Jurassic Park PS1 $3

GameShark GBA Cartridge $1

Beachbody Workout T25 Alpha Beta DVD Set $5

Mortal Kombat PS4 $15

mIYKj8U.jpg

Other stuffs that I saw but did not buy:

NBA 2K16 360 $20

Mega Man Star Force 3 Red Joker DS $6 (missing cartridge. I asked the employee to sell me the case for $1, but they wanted $6 for it lol.)

A bunch of Skylander Giants/Disney Infiniti Bundles $15

p0TO6RZ.jpg

dzZytxc.jpg

K2xncoh.jpg

No gaming related stuff the last two trips to the local Animal Humane thrift store. Scanned through the movies and saw a Blu-ray DVD combo copy of Wreck-It Ralph. Opened the case to see it contained just the DVD disc, no big deal as it was only a buck or two for it. Grabbed an old undrilled green plastic/spare bowling ball for $5.00 as well.

The trip before that I grabbed an old undrilled urethane bowling ball (a former Kmart special) for $2.50 because sporting goods were half off that day. Grabbed a couple of books during the trip too. My mom found some pretty cool stuff during both trips as well. This after quite the dry spell that lasted for several months. It had become so barren that we nearly gave up on going there.

bread's done
Back