20GB PS3 $349 @ GS (if you can find one) YMMV (added locator link)

dallow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Anythony1 over at the AVS forums made a few calls to various Gamecrazy and Gamestop stores.

Gamecrazy
Used 20GB - $339.99
Used 60GB - $439.99

Gamestop
Used 20GB - $369.99
Used 60GB - $449.99 (thanks movieman2742)

NEW
New 20GB - $449.99
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=020071&affID=77777&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-bdR2CsfXYehCxfgY3pAAQw

Good deal if you need a cheap one.
20GB PS3s aren't gimped, I have one and love it.
Plus, they have the EE for full PS2 BC.

EDIT:
Gamestop product locator! (thanks to everyone who contributed to this)

Used 20GB

www . gamestop.com/productavail.asp?miles=100&sku=909111&zip=XXXXX&product_name=20GB+PS3+%2D+Used&platforms=PS3&sbox%20 =160726a%2Ejpg&status=BO&bn=False

New 20GB

www . gamestop.com/productavail.asp?miles=200&sku=020071&zip=37421&pr oduct_name=Sony+PlayStation+3+20+Gig&platforms=PS3 &sbox=020071a.jpg&status=A&bn=False

remove the spaces at the beginning and , and replace the XXXXX with your ZIP CODE

[quote name='velvet396']Jump on these deals fast if you're interested, seeing as the 60gb PS3 is bye-bye at the end of July...[/quote]

What are you talking about? Since when are they canning the 60gig ps3??? I think you have it confused...

Edit : conflicting reports For removal of 60 gig production Kaz himself says they will NO longer make the ps3 60 gig.
http://atvs.vg.no/player/?id=10235

And a Link below discounts that theory of ridding the 60 gig stock.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6427&Itemid=2

[quote name='msuna']What are you talking about? Since when are they canning the 60gig ps3??? I think you have it confused...[/QUOTE]

Kaz Hirai was quoted a few times in interviews over the past 2 days saying that the 60gb is no longer in production.

"[We do not] have a 2 SKU strategy in the US, we learned very quickly customers respond better to having one SKU than two."

"We dropped the price on the 60GB model, as you know that model is no longer in production, once it's no longer on store shelves it will just be the $600 SKU." (meaning the 80gb model).

Here's one link to an interview: http://atvs.vg.no/player/?id=10235

If these Kaz Hirai interviews are accurate, it's Sony's not communicating very well between divisions, as no one seems to know what's going on.

whatevers, i ended up buying the 20 gig ps3 since it was still at the ontario gamecrazy. at least im not supporting sony by buying it new. at that price its worth it for the blu ray alone. ne one know a cheap place to get decent hdmi cables? i saw some nykos at frys for $30. are they worth it or should i go with another brand.

[quote name='EXStrike']Is the main difference between the 20GB and 60GB is that the 60 has wireless?[/QUOTE]

Yep. That and it has built in memory card readers for stuff like Memory Sticks and SD cards. Both of those things can be added later. In the case of Wifi, doing it with an external part makes more sense anyway, as it can be swapped out later as standards change, has better range, etc. There's never been a compelling reason to buy the 60GB version, which is why the stories of the 20GB version not selling as well don't ring true.

The gamecrazy in Portage Indiana has 5 of the 20 gb in stock as of friday 13, there not sure on what the price is yet, there boss said it's still 499.

[quote name='dmes65']The gamecrazy in Portage Indiana has 5 of the 20 gb in stock as of friday 13, there not sure on what the price is yet, there boss said it's still 499.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is even at the same price I'd probably get the 20GB model over the 60.

Used? New I'd buy it in a second. Used, I personally wouldn't for that price. I'd rather spend the extra $100-120ish on a new one. Since I'd actually want the remote eventually, the real cost difference is more like $100, which to me would be worth it for new.

I can't decided. 370 with tax for a 20 gig used or spend the money on a 60 gig with wireless included for $500 from amazon. I have a 360 and found 20gig is not enough storage for demos etc.. Id want to buy a bigger Hd and replace the 20 gig. Then the difference would be worth it for me. DECISIONS

Demos are fine as long as you don't want to keep them that long. If you're going to be collecting dozens of them, then yeah, you'd need a larger drive. Although in the Playstation 3's case, you can just drop in a 160GB drive for $130 or whatever later.

For myself personally, I didn't have to much of an issue with the 360 and demos, though maybe as more demos continue to hit it would be a bigger issue. They're typically 500MB-1GB, and the Playstation 3's demos will probably run around the same (or possibly bigger, since they could theoretically be using more textures, etc.)

that's a bummer that the used 20 GB PS3 only dropped $40. It was $399.99 before the "price drop." If they had set them to be $299.99 I might have been tempted to go nab one.

[quote name='daroga']that's a bummer that the used 20 GB PS3 only dropped $40. It was $399.99 before the "price drop." If they had set them to be $299.99 I might have been tempted to go nab one.[/quote]

I thought the 20gb was 499.99 and the 60gb was 599.99?

[quote name='Kfoster1979']I thought the 20gb was 499.99 and the 60gb was 599.99?[/quote]New they were. Days before the price drop, the 20 GB was $399.99 for the USED system at GS/EB.

[quote name='daroga']New they were. Days before the price drop, the 20 GB was $399.99 for the USED system at GS/EB.[/quote]

Ahhh I get it now... Thanks

[quote name='RandyTsai']whatevers, i ended up buying the 20 gig ps3 since it was still at the ontario gamecrazy. at least im not supporting sony by buying it new. at that price its worth it for the blu ray alone. ne one know a cheap place to get decent hdmi cables? i saw some nykos at frys for $30. are they worth it or should i go with another brand.[/quote]

www.monoprice.com for all your cabling needs.

Dang my gamestop has 1 in, I think I finally gotta pull the plug on this.

Also, does the 5 free bluray movies work with this since I'll have the reciept and upc?

[quote name='chodax']Awesome!!

Just picked up a 20 gb PS3 from gamestop for 398 with tax. I don't get the free blurays though but o well.[/quote]

I would just submit the offer anyways. It never hurts to try, and I've gotten lucky a few times with rebates (believe it or not). My most recent score was a double processed rebate for $150 (basically, I got a $300 check, with "for: $150 mail in rebate offer" written clearly on the check).

Was pretty sweet, for me.

Maybe you'll get the 5 BluRays, maybe not.

Ok... just to clear up a few things...

#1 has the PS3 had ANY problems like the 360 has? I feel a little iffy about getting a used system with no warranty...

#2 if I decided to just get a new 60GB system, do all the 60GB's have the EE chip thingy? I hadn't realized Sony was phasing out the backwards compatibility til I was reading this thread, and if I buy one now it HAS to to be BC or it's not worth bothering with for me...

Thanks guys :)

I work in the industry and I've only seen TWO defective Ps3s compared to prob 150ish for xb360 since each systems launch. Not even close! I believe all the 60 gigs in the stores now have the EE, but any new shipments they get make not have it.

Btw, I would lean toward a 20 gig if you can find one used epecially if you own a xb360 and use that for dl'ing movies and such. Unless the wi-fi and extra harddrive space is a big deal to ya

Look like a no go at Circuit City. I had them look it up and the price for a 20Gb was $499.96 denoting a clearance price because it ended with a "6". I don't think CC even bothered to adjust the price. damn!

[quote name='PocariSweat']Look like a no go at Circuit City. I had them look it up and the price for a 20Gb was $499.96 denoting a clearance price because it ended with a "6". I don't think CC even bothered to adjust the price. damn![/quote]

No gstops/ebs near you have any? CC will prob match the price if you take in an ad from another store. Btw, a customer told me today that Sam's Club had Ps3 60 gig bundles with Motorstorm for $529 i believe. Just a heads up

[quote name='moonknight25']I work in the industry and I've only seen TWO defective Ps3s compared to prob 150ish for xb360 since each systems launch. Not even close! I believe all the 60 gigs in the stores now have the EE, but any new shipments they get make not have it.

Btw, I would lean toward a 20 gig if you can find one used epecially if you own a xb360 and use that for dl'ing movies and such. Unless the wi-fi and extra harddrive space is a big deal to ya[/quote]

I really can't decide... The 60GB from Amazon looked appealing - no tax, I get the remote (which I know I'll be wanting), and I'm guranteed 6 Blueray movies (which I probably won't get with a used 20GB since I doubt it'll have a box), most of which I could resell and get some of my money back... plus it has the wireless, which is handier for me. I would probably rather have it... but if there is a chance the one I get won't have the EE chip then I don't know.

I don't have a 360, BTW. I had been thinking about getting one of those, but E3 started me leaning towards the PS3, especially with no MS price drop... and now that I know they're phasing out backwards compatibility, I feel like if I jump on anything right now, it should be the PS3.

[quote name='PleasantOne']I don't have a 360, BTW. I had been thinking about getting one of those, but E3 started me leaning towards the PS3, especially with no MS price drop... and now that I know they're phasing out backwards compatibility, I feel like if I jump on anything right now, it should be the PS3.[/QUOTE]

It's not being phased out so to speak, it's just that the hardware emulation the current North American models now have is being abandoned in favor of a cheaper but less universal software solution. Just in case that wasn't clear.

[quote name='Magus8472']It's not being phased out so to speak, it's just that the hardware emulation the current North American models now have is being abandoned in favor of a cheaper but less universal software solution. Just in case that wasn't clear.[/QUOTE]

What is funny about taking the EE out is that it might be more expensive for Sony. Now, they have to deal more customer service phone calls b/c of bad emulation, misc software issues with the emulator, the need to re-assign or hire developers to help make the BC better, bandwidth & time to distribute updates to owners, etc. etc. etc. I would think the EE should be much cheaper now for them to reproduce. I'm not so sure the software route is their best solution. Also, they have to change their manufacturering processes for the PS3 to not include the chip, which costs even more money.

I don't have to worry anyways, I've had a 20 GB since launch :)

It's really easy to change the HDD out (and cheaper) for a much larger and faster one.

[quote name='majinvegeta-88']Anyone know where to find a cheap wifi adapter that would work on the ps3?[/QUOTE]

Buy a buffalo WHR-G54s router for $50 (or $25 if you wait until it goes on sale again at CC) and put the tomato firmware on it. You now have an 4-port ethernet bridge and can plug in your PS3 along with 3 other devices.

Link to tomato firmware
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

so i had finally found a 20GB ps3 at a local gamestop (del mar), took it home, starting downloading demos and stuff and noticed that I had 45 GB of free space. I then looked at the system info and discovered that I have 55 GB hd. that is the awesomeness. unfortunately, no wifi/chrome/flash memory slots.

[quote name='PleasantOne']Ok... just to clear up a few things...

#1 has the PS3 had ANY problems like the 360 has? I feel a little iffy about getting a used system with no warranty...
[/QUOTE]
Seems to be Bluetooth controller desync issues, where you lose control in the middle of play.

[quote name='pete5883']Seems to be Bluetooth controller desync issues, where you lose control in the middle of play.[/QUOTE]That problem is very isolated though. It seems to be an issue with those who have many wireless devices around, due to similar frequencies or something. I will say that at my apartment, my controller never de-sync. At my home, it did a few times. One controller does it like every 3 weeks, while my other controller might have only done it once (I alternate controllers too). People like Zoglog seem to have the issue frequently, but I rarely do (most games if it happens, the game will pause telling you to reconnect the controller). But then again, I do have a launch PS3.

#2 if I decided to just get a new 60GB system, do all the 60GB's have the EE chip thingy? I hadn't realized Sony was phasing out the backwards compatibility til I was reading this thread, and if I buy one now it HAS to to be BC or it's not worth bothering with for me...

Thanks guys :)[/QUOTE]As for PS3 problems, they rarely occur, with a failure rate of less than 1%. Only issues I've heard were a few HDMI issues with some (most were their TV, but very few had a bad HMDI), I know two who had a HDD failure, and one where a capacitor popped and stopped working. One person's PS3 stopped working, but he had it folding@home for 6 weeks straight (never turned it off). PS3 is definitely better built than PS2 and 360.

Yes, all 60GB for the U.S. and Japan have the EE chip. Despite what some say, I recommend just getting a 60GB. I'm a 20GB owner myself, and to be honest, I 100% regret getting it. Only reason I like it is that its all black. I never thought I'd need WiFi one day, but I was wrong (I do need it), and its nice to have just in case you may not have an ethernet cable around and want to go online. Although you can buy a gaming wireless adapter for $40 maybe, most are around $80-$100 though. Also, 60GB of HDD space is perfect. 20GB is definitely not enough space for me at all, and I kind of groan that I have to upgrade it (spending another $100 to get a 160GB or something). When more PS1 downloads come, along with other downloads, 20GB is nothing.

Since you seem to like PSP a lot like me, you'll probably really like the PS3. To an extent, I do see a direct correlation with big PSP fans and big PS3 fans (tend to really like both, despite most people hating of them in forums saying they both have no good games).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yes, all 60GB for the U.S. and Japan have the EE chip. Despite what some say, I recommend just getting a 60GB. I'm a 20GB owner myself, and to be honest, I 100% regret getting it. Only reason I like it is that its all black. I never thought I'd need WiFi one day, but I was wrong (I do need it), and its nice to have just in case you may not have an ethernet cable around and want to go online. Although you can buy a gaming wireless adapter for $40 maybe, most are around $80-$100 though. Also, 60GB of HDD space is perfect. 20GB is definitely not enough space for me at all, and I kind of groan that I have to upgrade it (spending another $100 to get a 160GB or something). When more PS1 downloads come, along with other downloads, 20GB is nothing.[/quote]

Well I'd decided last night that if I did this, I was getting the 20, but now I'm conflicted again :lol: I don't know, I may end up going with the 20 anyway... $100 less just seems really appealing, and I already have a hard drive I could use with it. Bah... I dunno. I should hurry up and decide before I miss the chance, I guess.

Thanks guys :)[/quote]

If it makes you feel any better, my PS3 I just got has been working perfect and it says its a launch system.

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']How much is a new 20gb?[/QUOTE] Probably 399 judging by the prices of the used ones.

Woo Hoo!!! Just found a used 20gb system, and I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. I had some games I wanted to trade in plus the extra 10% from the EDGE card and I ended up paying about $320. I am very happy with this purchase and I really don't forsee the HD size being an issue as I can install a larger one at a later time if necessary.

Thanks OP, for the link to the product locator as this is how I found one. LoL... don't really have the HDMI cable yet, so I just got a PS2 game for now to hold me over until it comes in the mail this week from monoprice.

oh jesus, i bought a 20 gig japanese unit off of ebay 2 weeks ago for 420. if i had seen this i'd have saved a ton of money and have been able to keep my ps2 games.

D:

I think I'm gonna try and find one, I got $200 in cash right now, and might be able to wrangle up the rest in credit.

But really, this is less than a 360, plus this was the version I wanted all along, I'm not someone who will download all the HD movies and shows.

Mine had 2 in stock, both looked like they'd been through hell and back. I wish they'd been in better condition...but I guess I should just get a 60GB and like it!

bread's done
Back